• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz vs. Weber - Gameday

LivingstonNative said:
GrizLA said:
Losing to Weber is worse than losing to MSU>...

YEP

That sucks :'( we went the defensive emphasis with Anderson in the 2nd half and no low post offense forced us into more low percentage shots as the night went on. I dont think Im biased in saying we were the better team though. It would be worse if we didnt look like the more complete team and it made you think uh oh maybe we aren't as good as we thought.

Grizbballfan14 said:
You cant win them all, but that's one we should have won.
Incredible. I know the Griz defensive style gets punished by some crews, but this is just ridiculous: 22 fouls on the Griz, 11 on the Weebs. Points from the line: 24-7. The Griz did not shoot well from the line (7 of 11), but they could have hit all of them and it wouldn't have mattered a bit.

Look where we are at this point in the season. At the start of the season, with the roster we have would have been disappointed with this current standing? I know this was a disheartening loss, but we still have a full game lead and lots of season left. This was a road loss to a strong opponent. The sky is not falling. Go Griz!

Big Sage said:
Really needed Timmy late and in OT. We still get Weber and UNCO at home.

For some reason I knew Timmy was going to foul out within 10 seconds. Don't know if it took that long. Other than that he played a great game.

I won't be surprised, if this W for Weber State, is what spurs them back to a top 4 conference seed. They are a good team. Their JR's and SR's delivered. I do think, if Falls hadn't fouled out, we win that game in regulation. Harding doesn't get to the rim as often, with Falls guarding him.

Manuel has to find his shooting touch again. We need DCH and Owens to become more aggressive on the offensive end. They both have faded some, the last few games. I think this game will prove to be the game that Vazquez will build on for his shooting. It was terrific to see his shots finally fall. Moving forward, I expect him to have more good shooting games, than bad. Too bad, his shooting returned in a loss.

Bummer of a loss, but we did what we had to on the road, and that is at least split the games. Our boys will bounce back and come out hungry!

mtgrizrule said:
I won't be surprised, if this W for Weber State, is what spurs them back to a top 4 conference seed. They are a good team. Their JR's and SR's delivered. I do think, if Falls hadn't fouled out, we win that game in regulation. Harding doesn't get to the rim as often, with Falls guarding him.

Manuel has to find his shooting touch again. We need DCH and Owens to become more aggressive on the offensive end. They both have faded some, the last few games. I think this game will prove to be the game that Vazquez will build on for his shooting. It was terrific to see his shots finally fall. Moving forward, I expect him to have more good shooting games, than bad. Too bad, his shooting returned in a loss.
Well said!

MikeyGriz said:
Look where we are at this point in the season. At the start of the season, with the roster we have would have been disappointed with this current standing? I know this was a disheartening loss, but we still have a full game lead and lots of season left. This was a road loss to a strong opponent. The sky is not falling. Go Griz!

After the Tech loss, I wasn’t sure. We have the best coach in the conference, great Senior leadership and the best home-court advantage in the Big Sky. I’m not bumming to hard after this loss. It is Weber (who I consider our biggest rival) and we lost at their place.
Tough road trip this weekend. Glad we got the split

Shot selection down the stretch killed us and #4 seemed to take the worst of them. He needs to start having more confidence in his teammates instead of trying to do it all himself. He took 41% of the teams total shots and was the games scoring leader by 1 point but had to take 10 more shots to do it. 66% of the teams shots were taken by two seniors. I understand the mindset with the team being so young but most everybody on the court has shown at times that they can score. The mid-range jump shot with half of the shot clock left does not work when you have a tight lead going down the stretch. I have no doubt TD will address this. His post-game comments said as much.

mtgrizrule said:

What caused Falls to foul out so early? I had glanced at stats later in 1st and thought he had only 1 foul then. Checked in again on the stats with about 4 or so minutes to go, and he had fouled out.

PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

What caused Falls to foul out so early? I had glanced at stats later in 1st and thought he had only 1 foul then. Checked in again on the stats with about 4 or so minutes to go, and he had fouled out.

Some were probably warranted, but the crew was calling anticipated fouls. I believe his last foul was him reaching for the ball as a guy went by him in the paint and he was called despite not making contact. There were quite a few of those, unfortunately.

PeauxRouge said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

Some were probably warranted, but the crew was calling anticipated fouls. I believe his last foul was him reaching for the ball as a guy went by him in the paint and he was called despite not making contact. There were quite a few of those, unfortunately.

Falls leads the team in fouls by 7 (and was 2nd last yr) and leads in fouling-out with 3 (all in the last 6 games). You (and he) can keep complaining about the refs, but the truth is that Timmy reaches-in all the time. Most his fouls are reach-ins, except for Holland Woods of PSU baiting him into fouling him while shooting a desperation 3-pointer. He sometimes gets away with a few early but then the other teams' coaches ride the refs about his reaching and eventually they call him for it, because he keeps doing it.

He's had 3,5,4,4,3,5 and 5 fouls in his last 7 games. 29 fouls in 7 games. Wow! That is unheard of for a guard. He's got a reputation and the rcoaches always remind them, so either he changes his ways or the fouls will continue.

Zirg said:
PeauxRouge said:
PlayerRep said:
mtgrizrule said:

Falls leads the team in fouls by 7 (and was 2nd last yr) and leads in fouling-out with 3 (all in the last 6 games). You (and he) can keep complaining about the refs, but the truth is that Timmy reaches-in all the time. Most his fouls are reach-ins, except for Holland Woods of PSU baiting him into fouling him while shooting a desperation 3-pointer. He sometimes gets away with a few early but then the other teams' coaches ride the refs about his reaching and eventually they call him for it, because he keeps doing it.

He's had 3,5,4,4,3,5 and 5 fouls in his last 7 games. 29 fouls in 7 games. Wow! That is unheard of for a guard. He's got a reputation and the rcoaches always remind them, so either he changes his ways or the fouls will continue.

I used to officiate. My brother still does. Some of Timmy Falls fouls are quite nit picky. I am guessing 3/4 of the fouls are legit calls though. As for the other 25%, my brother and I agree, he sort of is an easy target these days. His cockiness and dislike for officiating, subconsciously makes blowing the whistle on him much easier. It only takes 1 referee to get a negative reaction from him, or showing up an official, to put himself at a disadvantage. He has done better this season with restraining himself. Unfortunately, he has 2 years of reputation built up. It may be too late for him to recover, with many of the officials. If I were him, I'd focus my energy on defense even further. Take his frustrations out on the opponents. When there is a loose ball after the whistle, be the player who politely hands the ball to an official. When an opponent is on the ground after the whistle, politely help him up. When he is called for a foul, do the "my bad" or "that's on me" gesture, turn away from the official, and turn that frustration into more energy and motivation.

Also keep in mind, he is always guarding the other teams best offensive guard. Like it or not, most often the best offensive players "get" calls to go their way. I honestly think, it would help, to change his assignments more often. Then again, Falls is competitive, his mindset is probably, "I'm up for the challenge", there isn't a need to use anyone else to defend the best offensive guard. I really am not sure , which teammate(s) can match his defense though. Sayeed, is to responsible for too much of everything else, so it doesn't make much sense to use him in that role, even if he can do it. Manuel, at his best, is an above average defender. Vazquez, is capable of it, but his inexperience does at times hurt him a few times per game. After Falls fouled out against Weber State, he had few defensive breakdowns. With normal guards, he likely wouldn't be exposed. Unfortunately, he's not ready for the likes of Harding.

For the most part, Falls is a ball distributor/handler, and defender. Scoring is icing on the cake from him. I honestly would find about 5 more minutes per game for Egun to fill Fall's defensive role. Egun definitely has the energy, heart, and hustle. I honestly feel, he is more than capable of becoming a terrific defender. The problem is, calming him down on the offensive side. Egun's demeanor also has the better mindset, when it comes to officials. Personally, I feel Egun is kind of lost in the shuffle this season. He has the potential, ability, attitude, and athleticism to be much more of a contributor than he does. At the very least, he would be a great defender. I really would experiment with Egun. I am sure the coaches know Timmy's mindset rather quickly in a game. When his mindset isn't right, or the officials get to him early, give Egun some minutes.

Falls can play on my team anytime, whether he gets fouls or not. I would guess that more fans may have him as his favorite player this year than any other. Definitely in the people I know. My wife loves him. My brother in law, who has been a high school coach. Me, who started one year in high school basketball. Ha.

I have been thinking about this for a while now. I was in a pretty bad mood after Thursday's game and was put into a bigger one after Saturdays.

A foul is a foul is a foul. That is unless you are the Big Sky Conference, and cannot seem ever to get on the same page. On Thursday night, we have an officiating crew that can figure out what offensive advantage looks like. On Saturday night, they spend their time anticipating contact at the rim and ignoring actual contact.

Attending some officiating clinics, this is a conversation that should be had before every game. Because style should not in any way impact how an official calls the game. So what you get, in a lot of cases is the team with a more passive defensive style, in contrast to the more aggressive one, gets a lot more passes from officials, meanwhile the aggressive one is judged more harshly for smaller infractions. Great officials can separate the two, but a lot can't. I had a hard time doing it.

To further this, there is absolutely nothing about the pack line concept of defense that suggests you should be 20 FT's deficient every night. Both ISU and WSU were kept in the game with time down FT's. You don't have to be great offensively, you just have a find a way to initiate contact and get to the line. That is what got ISU back in the game on Thursday night and what kept WSU in it as well. Its one thing to call a lot of fouls around the basket, but it is another to call fouls that aren't meant to promote a offensive/defensive advantage. Those are the ones, especially in the ISU game that set me off and then to see them not called at all in the WSU game is just plain maddening.

Timmy has to be one of the all time least liked by refs in griz history. His excellent tight defense creates lots of foul chances. His whining chip on the shoulder demeanor helps the refs call them.

Back