• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Griz frosh players apologize for tweets over virus restrictions

sorry if this question has already been answered, but i missed whether they had identified themselves individually in the posts, or did they claim to speak for the university of montana? whether you are right, left, center, forward, behind, or even lost, you probably wouldn't approve of a group of people using your name without permission to promote their own purpose, knowing that others associated with your name would likely be considered as one that agrees with the comments by the players, even if they don't?

having said that, this is small stuff, and the fact that the story has spread is probably punishment enough.

Here's the problem. See the response tweet quoted at the bottom of this post.

I pretty much agree with the players. If the Health Dept is telling people who have supposedly had close contact with a positive case to quarantine for 14 days even after a negative test, I can see why these guys are pissed.

Who made the determination of "close contact", and then of having to quarantine?

From what I've read, virtually no one gets the virus 14 days after exposure. That's way to conservative.

This is going to cause even more positives not to tell contact tracers and authorities who their close contacts were. This policy is counterproductive.

I don't think I would say much to contact tracers, if that was going to cause the identified people to have to quarantine for 14 days. That would royally piss off a bunch of people, including friends. I think I would just contact them and let them know, which is what I think a lot of people are doing.

Some of these health department people seem to be a bit over-the-top, and clearly don't have a clue about sports. Not allowing round-robin kids tourneys in Missoula was one earlier example. There are lots of articles accusing health department and government officials of becoming ego maniacs.

"Hi, Kale, the continuing presence of COVID is frustrating for our community, and it's especially frustrating for those who have to quarantine even when they test negative. For close contacts to a positive case, a negative test on a particular day merely indicates you do not have COVID on that day. Since this specific virus has an incubation period of 14 days, close contacts must remain in quarantine for the full 14 days because they could develop symptoms at any time during those 14 days. People can also be contagious for two days before they show symptoms. We know this is hard, but the more we can do now to isolate the virus and stop the spread, the sooner we can get back to normal life. Thank you."

argh! said:
sorry if this question has already been answered, but i missed whether they had identified themselves individually in the posts, or did they claim to speak for the university of montana? whether you are right, left, center, forward, behind, or even lost, you probably wouldn't approve of a group of people using your name without permission to promote their own purpose, knowing that others associated with your name would likely be considered as one that agrees with the comments by the players, even if they don't?

having said that, this is small stuff, and the fact that the story has spread is probably punishment enough.

I think they just tweeted from their own twitter accounts.

Edwards retweeted this one, from some MD:

US college campus deaths related to alcohol poisoning: 1,800 annually

US college student deaths from COVID-19: Less than 10 (zero in the 2020/2021 school year)"

I'm curious just what Mr. Edwards and others problems are. There is no "quarantine; there is no lockdown. I was in Missoula on Tuesday and Wednesday and students were moving freely in downtown, getting coffee, breakfast/lunch - having beers in the evening. They were all wearing masks and acting quite orderly. So do these athletes expect to be treated with different rules than apply to other students or the general public. It is the way it is and we all need to abide - especially with the rising numbers of cases in Missoula. Maybe Mr. Edwards needs to volunteer at a hospital where people die while families wait outside. Maybe Mr. Edwards needs to study biology and go on to get a medical degree so he has some sense of science instead of being a whiney tit-calf self-entitled POS. Get to work Mr. Edwards and STFU.

sdk.catfish said:
I'm curious just what Mr. Edwards and others problems are. There is no "quarantine; there is no lockdown. I was in Missoula on Tuesday and Wednesday and students were moving freely in downtown, getting coffee, breakfast/lunch - having beers in the evening. They were all wearing masks and acting quite orderly. So do these athletes expect to be treated with different rules than apply to other students or the general public. It is the way it is and we all need to abide - especially with the rising numbers of cases in Missoula. Maybe Mr. Edwards needs to volunteer at a hospital where people die while families wait outside. Maybe Mr. Edwards needs to study biology and go on to get a medical degree so he has some sense of science instead of being a whiney tit-calf self-entitled POS. Get to work Mr. Edwards and STFU.

Your anger issues aside, I believe “Mr Edwards” was talking specifically about the football team.

Your anger issues aside, I believe “Mr Edwards” was talking specifically about the football team.

Please elaborate. Does the football team, other than possibly more testing, have different rules than the general UM campus or the general public? Don't know where you are getting the "anger" angle but I don't see any anger in the OP other than suggesting that Mr. Edwards abide with what we all are facing.

sdk.catfish said:

Read the tweet from the health dept quoted at the end of one of my above posts. It refers to some people having to quarantine. Maybe you need to learn how to read. You are such an idiot.

sdk.catfish said:

Wow homeboy it’s not rocket science. The health dept made a number of football players and other Griz athletes quarantine due to a positive case in a student athlete. Even though these others tested negative they were “forced” to quarantine for 2 weeks. This is why Edwards and others are asking the question “if they keep testing negative 2-3 tests in a row why on earth are they forced into quarantine”. Come on buddy, do better.

Da Boyz Mom said:
fanofzoo said:
but at least the new guy will save your ass, the old one doesn't give a shit about you

He's promised to raise my taxes, and we know that he will shut down US oil and gas production, which means gas will be back to $4.00/gallon. No thanks.

Biden has said that people making over $400k per year would see their taxes go up. If you are in that income bracket, good for you! Biden has never said anything about “shutting down oil and gas production”. Made up BS. Backed up by lots of people are saying.......
Can we just get back to talking about Griz football?
Go Griz!

Wow homeboy it’s not rocket science. The health dept made a number of football players and other Griz athletes quarantine due to a positive case in a student athlete. Even though these others tested negative they were “forced” to quarantine for 2 weeks. This is why Edwards and others are asking the question “if they keep testing negative 2-3 tests in a row why on earth are they forced into quarantine”. Come on buddy, do better.

So..... potentially exposed to Covid either from contact with another athlete or contact in and with the facilities where another athlete tested positive. Kid is 19 or 20 and has to quarantine for 14 days. Poor little snowflake to do have to do something that may protect others. Go to school even if it is online - do yoga at home - jack off. I don't know but for God sake it isn't that much to ask of anybody.

sdk.catfish said:

So..... potentially exposed to Covid either from contact with another athlete or contact in and with the facilities where another athlete tested positive. Kid is 19 or 20 and has to quarantine for 14 days. Poor little snowflake to do have to do something that may protect others. Go to school even if it is online - do yoga at home - jack off. I don't know but for God sake it isn't that much to ask of anybody.

Are you lost in the sauce, SDK? No big deal if so; we’ve all been there. Seriously, though, I’d be pretty bummed if I tested negative for something and I was forced to Act as though I tested positive for that thing. Thank goodness my syphilis test was positive so I could make sense of it all.

argh! said:

Punishment? Slow down emperor Xi.
You looked like the flying monkeys tearing that brainless strawman apart.
Now that I think of it, you probably look more like Dorothy

HookedonGriz said:
sdk.catfish said:

You do realize that if a person were exposed that they could become infected for anywhere up to 14 days. This is why even if you test negative multiple times prior to the 14 day period ending, you still are not cleared.

HelenaHandBasket said:
HookedonGriz said:

You do realize that if a person were exposed that they could become infected for anywhere up to 14 days. This is why even if you test negative multiple times prior to the 14 day period ending, you still are not cleared.

You do realize that being in the vicinity of a person who gets the covid, does not equal being exposed.

"The CDC identifies a “close contact” as “someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before illness onset until the time the patient is isolated.”

4-6, or 4-5, or 5, days is the average of exposure to symptoms/infection. Depending on the source.

"SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, most commonly has an incubation period of five days. In addition, about 97% of people who contract the virus will show symptoms within 11 days. That means most people who’ve been infected with the novel coronavirus will likely show symptoms within 11 days. By setting 14 days for the self-quarantine period, officials are allowing extra time for people to be certain they haven’t been infected and can’t spread the virus to others."

"A May 5 study by Johns Hopkins University researchers found that 97.5% of people who develop COVID-19 symptoms will do so within 11.5 days after they are exposed to the virus. This means developing symptoms at 14 days is relatively rare, but not impossible."

"There is a broad scientific consensus that 14 days is an acceptable estimate of incubation time, but the travel and aviation industries—hard hit by the economic fallout of the pandemic—are not convinced that two weeks of isolation is necessary."

"About 97% of the people who get infected and develop symptoms will do so within 11 to 12 days, and about 99% will within 14 days."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/01/824903684/the-science-behind-a-14-day-quarantine-after-possible-covid-19-exposure

[Personally, I think requiring 14 days for someone who tested positive is ridiculous. Getting 2 extra percent for 2 or 3 more days, and still not getting to 100%, seems arbitrary and ridiculous.]

PlayerRep said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

You do realize that being in the vicinity of a person who gets the covid, does not equal being exposed.

"The CDC identifies a “close contact” as “someone who was within 6 feet of an infected person for at least 15 minutes starting from 48 hours before illness onset until the time the patient is isolated.”

4-6, or 4-5, or 5, days is the average of exposure to symptoms/infection. Depending on the source.

"SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, most commonly has an incubation period of five days. In addition, about 97% of people who contract the virus will show symptoms within 11 days. That means most people who’ve been infected with the novel coronavirus will likely show symptoms within 11 days. By setting 14 days for the self-quarantine period, officials are allowing extra time for people to be certain they haven’t been infected and can’t spread the virus to others."

"A May 5 study by Johns Hopkins University researchers found that 97.5% of people who develop COVID-19 symptoms will do so within 11.5 days after they are exposed to the virus. This means developing symptoms at 14 days is relatively rare, but not impossible."

"There is a broad scientific consensus that 14 days is an acceptable estimate of incubation time, but the travel and aviation industries—hard hit by the economic fallout of the pandemic—are not convinced that two weeks of isolation is necessary."

"About 97% of the people who get infected and develop symptoms will do so within 11 to 12 days, and about 99% will within 14 days."

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shots/2020/04/01/824903684/the-science-behind-a-14-day-quarantine-after-possible-covid-19-exposure

[Personally, I think requiring 14 days for someone who tested positive is ridiculous. Getting 2 extra percent for 2 or 3 more days, and still not getting to 100%, seems arbitrary and ridiculous.]

PR, they wouldn't put someone in quarantine for 10-14 days unless it was determined that they were exposed, and once they are in quarantine, the chance of getting cleared before the end of the period is pretty much zero. And you are correct, I have seen quarantine periods range anywhere from 10-14 days, I said 14 because that it is the rule were I am at. As for testing while quarantined, when they test it is to rule out being positive, testing negative, even multiple times, usually won't get you out of jail early.

HelenaHandBasket said:
PlayerRep said:

PR, they wouldn't put someone in quarantine for 10-14 days unless it was determined that they were exposed, and once they are in quarantine, the chance of getting cleared before the end of the period is pretty much zero. And you are correct, I have seen quarantine periods range anywhere from 10-14 days, I said 14 because that it is the rule were I am at. As for testing while quarantined, when they test it is to rule out being positive, testing negative, even multiple times, usually won't get you out of jail early.

I don't agree with the first part of your first sentence.

I also find that it is ridiculous to use such a long period of time. See results from the Johns Hopkins study. After 5.1 days, the virus has incubated in 95% of people. To keep people quarantined for an additional 9 days to achieve an additional 4% (to get to 99%) has an incredible cost. Not just to students and players, but workers, teachers, etc.

"The median incubation period was estimated to be 5.1 days (95% CI, 4.5 to 5.8 days), and 97.5% of those who develop symptoms will do so within 11.5 days (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days) of infection."

Tell young people to quarantine for a much shorter period, say 6 or 7, and then wear masks around any people older than 30, and to try to stay further away from people older than 30, for the the second week.

The moral of the story is be careful what you report, or admit, or say to tracers.

Back