• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Elite Griz QB

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:
When did I ever proclaim Zeb Noland as being anything less than elite? I read on eGriz.com that he had NFL arm talent but maybe not arm NFL talent.

I mean your definition of elite is pretty low standard IMO. The Griz haven’t won the Big Sky conference in football in a decade, have a losing record to both Montana State and EWU over the last decade….but are still an “elite” FCS program in your mind.

I don’t know…..it kind of begs the question. Have the Griz ever really had an elite QB? I mean , the greatest QB in Griz history, The Midget, never took a snap in the NFL.

THAT DOES IT! I'm so mad. I mean, this really got under my skin. I'm going over to the Bizon board to give them all a piece of my mind. I'll be back after 1,500 posts.

source.gif

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:
I mean your definition of elite is pretty low standard IMO. The Griz haven’t won the Big Sky conference in football in a decade, have a losing record to both Montana State and EWU over the last decade….but are still an “elite” FCS program in your mind.

I don’t know…..it kind of begs the question. Have the Griz ever really had an elite QB? I mean , the greatest QB in Griz history, The Midget, never took a snap in the NFL.

THAT DOES IT! I'm so mad. I mean, this really got under my skin. I'm going over to the Bizon board to give them all a piece of my mind. I'll be back after 1,500 posts.

source.gif

When you're over there, try and keep it classy. We don't need Montanans being some kind of clown car act shows on other boards. :coffee:

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

source.gif

When you're over there, try and keep it classy. We don't need Montanans being some kind of clown car act shows on other boards. :coffee:

Who thinks we are elite?

ilovethecats said:

Naturally, I will keep the clown car act show posts to a minimum. I'm mostly going there to prove that my self worth is 98% tied to how the Griz play and how my insecurity makes my unable to handle anyone on any board saying anything remotely untoward about our football team. They should shower the Griz with nothing but praise. I'm going there to change minds and FCS football team allegiances.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
ilovethecats said:

Who thinks we are elite?

Cats, just keep repeating that ole trope phrase over and over and over again, ... Maybe some day somebody over here will think your hip and cool.... Just keep trying...

Cowboys84 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Who thinks we are elite?

Cats, just keep repeating that ole trope phrase over and over and over again, ... Maybe some day somebody over here will think your hip and cool.... Just keep trying...

^^^^
Oh no. He doesn't get it. Nobody tell him.
What a clown car act show!

Cowboys84 said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
Who thinks we are elite?

Damn. You got me good. Cat is out of the bag. I was trying so hard to look hip and cool on a message board. I feel I have failed. No one feels like more of a clown car act show than I do right now. If I'm band, I accept the consequences. :(

ilovethecats said:
Cowboys84 said:

Damn. You got me good. Cat is out of the bag. I was trying so hard to look hip and cool on a message board. I feel I have failed. No one feels like more of a clown car act show than I do right now. If I'm band, I accept the consequences. :(

Cat fan that continuously post on a rivals fan message board 👍👍....

Whatever happened to the Alex Singleton thread you promised to start?... Can't wait.

Cowboys84 said:
ilovethecats said:

Whatever happened to the Alex Singleton thread you promised to start?... Can't wait.

Yep, I have posted over here for a long time. Great board with interesting people. So you got me good with that one too.

Second, I never promised to make a Singleton thread. Though I suppose I could, he's having a great season. I just didn't understand why you were so upset that there was a Wentz thread in which his injuries were discussed. People talk about all sorts of people over here, so not sure why that one had you so fired up.

I don't care what stats say. After DD,
I would take Ochs, then Miller, and Bergquist. If Miller doesn't get hurt we win the 2000 National Championship. He still threw the best ball I ever saw. But regardless of people's top QB's, it still amazes me that we struggle to recruit a QB that is elite. Hopefully Brown will become that.

OrgonGriz said:
Ochs came to mind for me as well. I would also add Jordan J up there to.
However, I also find it interesting how EWU especially has been able to bring in very high caliber QB’s. NDSU also o some extent, but I think there long run at NC games and putting QB’s in the NFL has helped them.
Maybe NIL might help UM. Maybe Bitterroot Motors can pony up a sweet rig to draw a high level QB for doing a commercial…
I have heard that NIL could drive higher level talent to some smaller schools. Be the highest level NIL talent on a team getting deals rather than being on a team with several high level talents and maybe not as good of “deals”..

It's all about how you want to build your program in the salary cap, or I mean, FCS tier of Division I. You want to build it around your quarterback almost unquestionably, you do what Eastern Washington has done - put studs in position to succeed behind center and then recruit the hell out of that position based on players, prestige and production.

Every QB for Eastern Washington since Paul Wulff took over as head coach ahead of the 2002 season, EWU QBs have earned Big Sky Conference MVP honors endlessly....Josh Blankenship (2002), Erik Meyer (2004, 2005), Matt Nichols (2007, 2009), Bo Levi Mitchell (2011), Vernon Adams (2013, 2014), Gage Gubrud (2016) and now super-senior Walter Payton Award candidate Eric Barriere, who earned league MVP honors during the truncated spring season.

What a recruiting tool. Especially when you go after undersized but hyper-productive, ultra-competitive West Coast prospects who buy your brand...that's every one of those guys listed.

Even in the midst of Dave Dickenson, Brian Ah Yat and Drew Miller, the Grizzlies still had unforgettable and top-notch defenses. So much of the why comes from the most prevalent sort of prospects that spring up within Montana and so much is the awesome coaching by guys like Tim Hauck, Kraig Paulson, David Reeves, Jerome Souers, Chad Germer.

All that said, the Griz program in its essence and in its peak is centered upon selfless team play. It's the most transferable and aligning style with the makeup of most UM fans and the advantages of playing ferocious defense in a stadium at the base of Mount Sentinel.

BUT - Montana could get and should want a difference maker at quarterback. What if Montana could get a player like Ben DeNucci, a transfer to James Madison from PItt who went from average CAA quarterback to first-team All-American. He started one game for the Dallas Cowboys last season in place of Dak Prescott.

Bobby Hauck recruited Kevin Thomson to UNLV a lifetime ago. Thomson was the Big Sky Offensive Player of the Year in 2019 after leading Sacramento State to its first league title in school history. The point is that Bobby Hauck can identify and develop quarterback prospects. But is that what you want to make the center piece of winning? It's a fascinating debate.

ilovethecats said:
Cowboys84 said:

Yep, I have posted over here for a long time. Great board with interesting people. So you got me good with that one too.

Second, I never promised to make a Singleton thread. Though I suppose I could, he's having a great season. I just didn't understand why you were so upset that there was a Wentz thread in which his injuries were discussed. People talk about all sorts of people over here, so not sure why that one had you so fired up.

https://www.eaglesmessageboard.com/search/?q=alex%20singleton&quick=1

A few interesting comments here!

Eagle fans talk about Singleton on their fan forum like Bobcat fans talk about Robby Hauck on Bobcat Nation. But that's different isn't it?

Mousegriz said:
Eagle fans talk about Singleton on their fan forum like Bobcat fans talk about Robby Hauck on Bobcat Nation. But that's different isn't it?
How do they talk about RH on BM?
What do they say?

garizzalies said:
Mousegriz said:
How do they talk about RH on BM?
What do they say?

They talk about his tackling and long over the top pass coverage prowess!

garizzalies said:
‘Bama or Ida, or any other state,
Challenge:
How can we find the all-time rushing record lists (career and season) for UM QBs?

Sorry, jus seen this. Give me a couple days and I’ll have a list going back to the mid ‘90’s. Off the top of my head though modern day would definitely be Dalton but all time would have to be Bill Kelly, hands down the greatest rushing QB ever.

argh! said:
garizzalies said:
WTF? Are you kidding? JJ is in the top three or four of every meaningful all-time record for Griz QBs:

TOP-4 CAREER WINS FOR STARTING QB
33...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
30...Cole Bergquist, 2005-08
29...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
28...Jordan Johnson, 2010-14.

MOST YARDS PASSING (career)
11,080...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
9,315.....Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
8,612.....Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (season)
42...Brian Ah Yat, 1996
38...Dave Dickenson, 1995
33...Craig Ochs, 2004
32...Jordan Johnson, 2013 (tie).

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (career)
96...Dave Dickenson, 1993-95
89...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
77...Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

JJ is one of only three players to appear on the PASSING YARDS TOP-30 season list 3 times (three seasons):

Dave Dickenson (1995, 1993, 1994),
Brian Ah Yat (1996, 1998, 1997),
Jordan Johnson (2014, 2014, 2011).

Think about that for a sec. 30% of the top 30 best seasons at UM are held by 3 guys.

If not for losing his 2012 season, JJ may be #1 or #2 on most of these lists.*

*Except for Super Dave’s 1995 total passing yards: 4,176 yard in one season. Holy mackerel!

i guess it is how you define "elite". johnson was definitely "elite" with his very non-dramatic return to the griz, and piloting the team as well as he could given the personnel available. but "elite"? tough to define.
Have you even watched him play? JJ was definitely elite. He could do it all too. That kid was amazing. Not one qb after him, could even sniff his jock.

Sneed was terrific his SR year. Too bad, he played bad in the Weber playoff game. Loved watching Sneed.

Over the last 15 years, Sneed and JJ were the only GRIZ qbs that I'd consider elite, in different ways. JJ had an elite career. Sneed had an elite Sr year. Further back Ochs, Miller, Ayat (sp?). Pease had a brief NFL career. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of his playing days

If memory serves me correctly Super Davis’s “official” stats did not include playoff or the National Championship Game. Someone correct me if that’s wrong.

Back