• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Elite Griz QB

Kem, I was agreeing with your post. I was commenting on people judging Brown's ability and future on the basis of his first game in college. And pointing out that some back up QBs show up to have terrific ability but not necessarily from the first snap. Peace.

cclarkblues said:
Kem, I was agreeing with your post. I was commenting on people judging Brown's ability and future on the basis of his first game in college. And pointing out that some back up QBs show up to have terrific ability but not necessarily from the first snap. Peace.
And that was to be expected by knowledgeable fans. There were those who did not like CH and claimed KB would immediately work miracles if he had the job, and those that claim KB was a disaster in his first game. We should ignore both and watch the progress from this shaky (POW?) performance. It may not be linear. Personally, I would have preferred to see Brown develop with less pressure and for CH to have a complete senior campaign to silence the critics. We don't know that he could not have pulled out the EWU game if not knocked out.

Wait for the BS with the first loss. I'm a bit nervous about this week; it should tell us more than Dixie St.

kemajic said:
cclarkblues said:
And that was to be expected by knowledgeable fans. There were those who did not like CH and claimed KB would immediately work miracles if he had the job, and those that claim KB was a disaster in his first game. We should ignore both and watch the progress from this shaky (POW?) performance. It may not be linear. Personally, I would have preferred to see Brown develop with less pressure and for CH to have a complete senior campaign to silence the critics. We don't know that he could not have pulled out the EWU game if not knocked out.

Wait for the BS with the first loss. I'm a bit nervous about this week; it should tell us more than Dixie St.

I’m not sure that the membership in the two groups you described is mutually exclusive.

Griz til I die said:
'68griz said:
Other teams -- EWU, NDSU -- have great freshman and sophomore QB's. Why not UM?
NDSU does not have a great freshmen QB. He was very bad in the spring and got beat out by a transfer. Barriers is the last of Baldwins recruits from Eastern, and I don’t think Best is anywhere near as good of a recruiter/coach as Baldwin, so this may be the last great QB they have for a while.

They do. His name is Cole Payton. Freshman this fall.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Griz til I die said:
NDSU does not have a great freshmen QB. He was very bad in the spring and got beat out by a transfer. Barriers is the last of Baldwins recruits from Eastern, and I don’t think Best is anywhere near as good of a recruiter/coach as Baldwin, so this may be the last great QB they have for a while.

He just got a commit from the top qb in Washington
You're kidding! Hadn't heard.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Griz til I die said:

Never heard of him. Listen, the great Zeb Noland isn’t coming through that door to save the day. It’s easy to see that the Bizon ship has sailed.

2011BisonAlumni said:
Griz til I die said:

Good to know. I was referring to the kid you guys played in the spring after Zeb Noland didn't work out.

Ursa Major said:
kemajic said:

A couple of months ago, someone on the board said Brown should be at Clemson. We now know he won’t be playing at Clemson anytime soon.
I’m not sure that the membership in the two groups you described is mutually exclusive.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Never heard of him. Listen, the great Zeb Noland isn’t coming through that door to save the day. It’s easy to see that the Bizon ship has sailed.

Severely listing to starboard, stuck in the Doldrums and rudderless with a fouled anchor.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

Neither is Dave Dickenson….

Montana just hasn’t been able to produce a QB capable of winning on the main stage.

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Montana just hasn’t been able to produce a QB capable of winning on the main stage.

Nobody could compare to Zeb Noland. Is he not doing well this season? Hurt?

Daniel Britt is the QB I want to see play. Kid played against very good competition in Highschool including taking down Bishop Gorman.

garizzalies said:
Maxim said:
Jordan was really good, but not elite.

WTF? Are you kidding? JJ is in the top three or four of every meaningful all-time record for Griz QBs:

TOP-4 CAREER WINS FOR STARTING QB
33...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
30...Cole Bergquist, 2005-08
29...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
28...Jordan Johnson, 2010-14.

MOST YARDS PASSING (career)
11,080...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
9,315.....Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
8,612.....Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (season)
42...Brian Ah Yat, 1996
38...Dave Dickenson, 1995
33...Craig Ochs, 2004
32...Jordan Johnson, 2013 (tie).

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (career)
96...Dave Dickenson, 1993-95
89...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
77...Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

JJ is one of only three players to appear on the PASSING YARDS TOP-30 season list 3 times (three seasons):

Dave Dickenson (1995, 1993, 1994),
Brian Ah Yat (1996, 1998, 1997),
Jordan Johnson (2014, 2014, 2011).

Think about that for a sec. 30% of the top 30 best seasons at UM are held by 3 guys.

If not for losing his 2012 season, JJ may be #1 or #2 on most of these lists.*

*Except for Super Dave’s 1995 total passing yards: 4,176 yard in one season. Holy mackerel!

i guess it is how you define "elite". johnson was definitely "elite" with his very non-dramatic return to the griz, and piloting the team as well as he could given the personnel available. but "elite"? tough to define.

CDAGRIZ said:
2011BisonAlumni said:

When did I ever proclaim Zeb Noland to be the next elite NDSU QB? Fuck, the program produced three consecutive NFL draft picks, 2 going in the top three picks……and finally landed one who didn’t play well……in a weird pandemic fueled spring season where the Griz DID NOT even participate in.

Who cares dude…

Not going to start a debate with you about QB success at NDSU. There hasn’t been a program who produced anything close to the run NDSU had with Jensen, Wentz, Stick and Lance.

Mavman said:
Daniel Britt is the QB I want to see play. Kid played against very good competition in Highschool including taking down Bishop Gorman.

If we get down to our 4th string, true freshman QB, then the season is officially lost.

argh! said:
garizzalies said:
WTF? Are you kidding? JJ is in the top three or four of every meaningful all-time record for Griz QBs:

TOP-4 CAREER WINS FOR STARTING QB
33...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
30...Cole Bergquist, 2005-08
29...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
28...Jordan Johnson, 2010-14.

MOST YARDS PASSING (career)
11,080...Dave Dickenson, 1992-95
9,315.....Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
8,612.....Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (season)
42...Brian Ah Yat, 1996
38...Dave Dickenson, 1995
33...Craig Ochs, 2004
32...Jordan Johnson, 2013 (tie).

PASSING TOUCHDOWNS (career)
96...Dave Dickenson, 1993-95
89...Brian Ah Yat, 1995-98
77...Jordan Johnson, 2010-11, 2013-14.

JJ is one of only three players to appear on the PASSING YARDS TOP-30 season list 3 times (three seasons):

Dave Dickenson (1995, 1993, 1994),
Brian Ah Yat (1996, 1998, 1997),
Jordan Johnson (2014, 2014, 2011).

Think about that for a sec. 30% of the top 30 best seasons at UM are held by 3 guys.

*Except for Super Dave’s 1995 total passing yards: 4,176 yard in one season. Holy mackerel!

i guess it is how you define "elite". johnson was definitely "elite" with his very non-dramatic return to the griz, and piloting the team as well as he could given the personnel available. but "elite"? tough to define.
Huh? The fuck is that even supposed to mean?
You’re like a bad mix of e.e. cummings and a drunk joe namath.
By definition, JJ is the third best QB UM ever had. But if you have some other metric to measure QBs (besides wins, TDs, and yards), I’m sure we’d all love to hear it. Softest underbelly, maybe? Longest fingernails on non-throwing hand?

garizzalies said:
argh! said:
Huh? The [#]f### is that even supposed to mean?
You’re like a bad mix of e.e. cummings and a drunk joe namath.
By definition, JJ is the third best QB UM ever had. But if you have some other metric to measure QBs (besides wins, TDs, and yards), I’m sure we’d all love to hear it. Softest underbelly, maybe? Longest fingernails on non-throwing hand?
Weren't some of JJ's stats from 2011 vacated?

2011BisonAlumni said:
CDAGRIZ said:

When did I ever proclaim Zeb Noland to be the next elite NDSU QB? Fuck, the program produced three consecutive NFL draft picks, 2 going in the top three picks……and finally landed one who didn’t play well……in a weird pandemic fueled spring season where the Griz DID NOT even participate in.

Who cares dude…

Not going to start a debate with you about QB success at NDSU. There hasn’t been a program who produced anything close to the run NDSU had with Jensen, Wentz, Stick and Lance.

When did I ever proclaim Zeb Noland as being anything less than elite? I read on eGriz.com that he had NFL arm talent but maybe not arm NFL talent.

garizzalies said:
Help me understand how this works. JJ played in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. 2012 was his redshirt year. So how did he "lose" a year?

A common metric for QBs is completion percentage; elite QBs usually show very high percentages. How does JJ stand relative to the others in that stat? Was it selectively ignored?

Personally, I think Nate Montana should be in the discussion for obvious reasons.

kemajic said:
garizzalies said:
Help me understand how this works. JJ played in 2010, 2011, 2013 and 2014. 2012 was his redshirt year. So how did he "lose" a year?

A common metric for QBs is completion percentage; elite QBs usually show very high percentages. How does JJ stand relative to the others in that stat? Was it selectively ignored?

Personally, I think Nate Montana should be in the discussion for obvious reasons.

All that daddy did wasn't going to help Nate.

Back