• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Duq Dukes game thread

Griz til I die said:
DPGriz said:
Ok, now they're scorching the nets.
They’ve been throwing up shit all game and it’s been sticking. Anytime you shoot 60% from the field, you know it’s a good night.

It's a good night because they're carving us up and getting to the rim. If this is how we defend the hoop all year we're going to allow plenty of 60% shooting nights.

…all you guys need to do…
…put on your recruiting hats…
…head out there recruit to montana…

🤠

…all you guys need to do…
…put on your recruiting hats…
…head out there recruit to montana…

🤠

Griz til I die said:
We can’t play worse then this. There’s just no way we’re gonna play a worse game then this all year other then maybe Gonzaga. I can’t imagine another team is gonna get this red hot. I think we need to just knock the rust off and flush this one. They’ll shoot better then this moving forward mainly because it’s gonna be really tough to shoot worse then this.

My hopes aren't very great that Friday isn't similar.

ordigger said:
Griz til I die said:
We can’t play worse then this. There’s just no way we’re gonna play a worse game then this all year other then maybe Gonzaga. I can’t imagine another team is gonna get this red hot. I think we need to just knock the rust off and flush this one. They’ll shoot better then this moving forward mainly because it’s gonna be really tough to shoot worse then this.

At least until Xavier
I’ll bet you any amount of money we don’t look this bad against Xavier.

DPGriz said:
Griz til I die said:
They’ve been throwing up shit all game and it’s been sticking. Anytime you shoot 60% from the field, you know it’s a good night.

It's a good night because they're carving us up and getting to the rim. If this is how we defend the hoop all year we're going to allow plenty of 60% shooting nights.
Exactly, good teams make easy shots and we dont make it particularly hard for them to generate good looks. BSC off to a solid 0-9 start. The sad thing is that that team looked kind of a lot less talented than last year. Kinda miss Owens and DCH and Beaslely

Well we looked better in the second half, but it was too insurmountable at that point. Like I said, first game, 3,000 miles away, gotta knock the rust off, I highly doubt we play a worse 1st half then that all year. I think we’ll play a much better game against Xavier on Friday.

CleanHOUSE said:
DPGriz said:
Exactly, good teams make easy shots and we dont make it particularly hard for them to generate good looks. BSC off to a solid 0-9 start. The sad thing is that that team looked kind of a lot less talented than last year. Kinda miss Owens and DCH and Beaslely

Well, I completely missed the fact that DCH even entered the portal. Talk about a housecleaning. Looks like the replacements didnt’ fare much better….

Now, Duquense may generally be better than UM most years, but there's no damn way we should get our asses kicked like we're playing a 2-seed in the tourney. Hope they come together sooner rather than later.

Why am I not shocked at all by this outcome? Griz bball is in a bad way and trending downward. Yikes.

CleanHOUSE said:
DPGriz said:

TD teams never seem to generate easy shots.

It's a first game. You can't read all that much into it. You hung with them for 5 to 7 minutes. After that, they built their 40 point lead on pressure defense. You can bet that other teams are going to look at that and try it for themselves. It certainly gives TD something to work on.

More games to come. More chances to show better. :clap:

First game over-reactions:

Nap and Oke aren’t ready to play Big Sky championship level basketball. It could be first D-1 game jitters but physically and basketball movement wise they did not appear to be close to ready. They seemed really, really overwhelmed. I’ll give Nap a freshman pass, but physically I don’t think he can get there this year and should be a redshirt candidate (which is not uncommon for a freshman) but In a game that was begging for Griz length and athleticism, DeCuire was not comfortable with Oke. So the depth everyone was so fired up about may not be there.

More Transfer portal failures? The portal is for replenishing and improving talent. DT obviously will be a big contributor, but the jury is out in regards in regards to Brown, Moody and Oke. For all intents and purposes in order for Montana to be improved this season the equation needs to be Brown/Moody/DT/Oke/>DCH/Beasley/Parker/Owens. Tonight I would say this was a false equation.

Ball handling - Whitney is not a natural PG. He is suitable, but his strength is as a secondary ball handler/slasher. Particularly if you also expect him to shutdown the other team’s best guard. Moody is best suited as a spot shooter, not making things happen off the dribble. Same for Vasquez and Martin although I think Vasquez is a capable secondary ball handler. I don’t think it’s a coincidence that this was Moody’s 95th career D-1 game and he had never had more than 3 TOs in a game until tonight where he had 5TOs. So in a sense your entire perimeter being asked to do things that they are uncomfortable doing. Martin, Moody, Brown, Whitney and Vasquez combined for 4 assists/10 TOs. This is consistent with all of their careers. Other than Whitney’s driving ability, none are able to make plays for themselves or others.

Can DT be a good 3 point shooter at Montana? In my opinion his shooting form is not consistent with a good 3pt shooter. At CSU he was the 5th option and surrounded by high level playmakers (including a 1st round draft pick). At Montana he may be the 2nd option with no high level playmakers. According to Barttorvik dot com he made 29 3 pointers in 31 games (which is not a lot per game and even less if the Michigan NCAA 5 3pt game and the Creighton 5 3pt game are subtracted). In addition, all 29 were assisted. Maybe we need to pump the breaks on his 3pt potential.

Again, hopefully this is the worst game of the season. You can get improvement from chemistry and more games together, but in general this is an older team and to expect a lot of changes from each individual’s past histories may be fool’s good.

Maybe you all ought to get your members of that Athletic Department over there in good o' Missoula to quit reading the newspapers about how great you all is and start doing something about it, huh?

Some real-time commentary on the game last night here...

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4BxYorBLHsRa4aOVHZBpyu?si=516d21123e554fc2

No doubt that it was an ugly game. But I may have to reserve judgment for 4-5 games. You know, if everybody’s cool with that. 🤞🏼🍺

Back