• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense is VERY Suspect

Is this crow or prime rib that I'm eating? Whatever it is, this sh*t tastes AMAZING!!!

As the originator of this threat, I'm ELATED to come back and be proven wrong! It's a been a VERY long time since I've seen our defense perform at this level, especially on the road and against a ranked opponent. Anyone who says they expected such a performance is full of sh*t. We haven't gotten after a QB like that in years. I've also never seen Baer put together such a creative and effective game plan. We displayed some rarely, if ever, used defensive packages that really put Davis on their heels. The cynic in me wonders if someone other than Baer had a hand in developing the defensive scheme last week. Whatever the reason, I'm ecstatic at the results.

Kudos to all the young bloods on D making an impact!

gotgame75 said:
Is this crow or prime rib that I'm eating? Whatever it is, this sh*t tastes AMAZING!!!

As the originator of this threat, I'm ELATED to come back and be proven wrong! It's a been a VERY long time since I've seen our defense perform at this level, especially on the road and against a ranked opponent. Anyone who says they expected such a performance is full of sh*t. We haven't gotten after a QB like that in years. I've also never seen Baer put together such a creative and effective game plan. We displayed some rarely, if ever, used defensive packages that really put Davis on their heels. The cynic in me wonders if someone other than Baer had a hand in developing the defensive scheme last week. Whatever the reason, I'm ecstatic at the results.

Kudos for partially admitting your error, however the portion you are trying to justify as per Baer may be wrong also. The Griz D played the same packages. Once again no big chunk plays given up and secondary was in good position to make plays and still dropped at least one potential INT. Griz gave up passing yards and shut down the run. They got to QB with four man rush with the usual combo of different stunts and zone blitzes they have run all year long. I’d give entire coaching staff credit for not only coaching players up and getting them in proper position, but instilling confidence in the players with limited game experience and getting the most out of the players. Also, coaches on both sides of the ball have been giving opportunities to several players to get snaps and are figuring out who are the best and most hungry players. I agree the beatdown was more than expected, but to say it was coached differently would be a misstatement and the credit does go to the players who are taking advantage of opportunities they have been given and playing...how they are coached to play. Beatdown like that is not accidental it is very purposeful, look at Hawkins post game comments.

gotgame75 said:

Please enlighten me as to what your breakdown was of what the creativity of the game plan and what packages were used this weekend.

Diesel said:
gotgame75 said:

Kudos for partially admitting your error, however the portion you are trying to justify as per Baer may be wrong also. The Griz D played the same packages. Once again no big chunk plays given up and secondary was in good position to make plays and still dropped at least one potential INT. Griz gave up passing yards and shut down the run. They got to QB with four man rush with the usual combo of different stunts and zone blitzes they have run all year long. I’d give entire coaching staff credit for not only coaching players up and getting them in proper position, but instilling confidence in the players with limited game experience and getting the most out of the players. Also, coaches on both sides of the ball have been giving opportunities to several players to get snaps and are figuring out who are the best and most hungry players. I agree the beatdown was more than expected, but to say it was coached differently would be a misstatement and the credit does go to the players who are taking advantage of opportunities they have been given and playing...how they are coached to play. Beatdown like that is not accidental it is very purposeful, look at Hawkins post game comments.

Our young guys are just getting better and understand their assignments much better. Execution was at a higher level.
Bobby said as much in the post game interview.
If they keep improving weekly, look out!
Go Griz!

One change that Colter mentioned was using the young guys on the edge (Mamula and McGourin) for speed which allowed more pressure on the QB without bringing the house on every play. That seemed to work well.

Coaching is suspect. End of half we let sac receivers get WAY behind the DBs with seconds left. On the last one we put a DE on the best receiver they have? We are not learning much here.

Buttegrizzle said:
Coaching is suspect. End of half we let sac receivers get WAY behind the DBs with seconds left. On the last one we put a DE on the best receiver they have? We are not learning much here.
The DE was on the RB Dotson. Still a mismatch. College players making mistakes; not all coaching.

kemajic said:
Buttegrizzle said:
The DE was on the RB Dotson. Still a mismatch. College players making mistakes; not all coaching.

It was either Rice trying to cover for someone else's mistake, or an assignment by the coaches. I am guessing, the latter of the 2. If so, that was a terrible assignment within the defensive scheme. Credit Sac State for recognizing that mismatch. Then again, a college QB that should no longer be in college, should be able to recognize that. Hell, Thomson can personally thank the NCAA for him getting multiple Master Degrees without paying a dime out of his own pocket book. The kid will likely have at least 1 master's degree, with how long he will be in school.

Buttegrizzle said:

Can you explain what the coaches did wrong? Especially what did they do wrong on the longer pass plays by SS. I'm curious.

Sorry, but 33 is a running back, not a receiver. He's a starter. He had 12 carries for 41 yards. He did catch a bunch of passes too. Jeez, pay attention.

PlayerRep said:
Buttegrizzle said:

Can you explain what the coaches did wrong? Especially what did they do wrong on the longer pass plays by SS. I'm curious.

Sorry, but 33 is a running back, not a receiver. He's a starter. He had 12 carries for 41 yards. He did catch a bunch of passes too. Jeez, pay attention.

And he is their LEADING receiver from that position. I know you played-the-game, but was the forward pass even legal when you played? Sorry Rep. it was a bad coverage call by the coaches and we got scorched for a TD. Just like the coverage call at the end of the first half in which receivers were able get behind the DBs. In that situation all the Griz needed to do was prevent a long TD pass. Don’t you have a luncheon to go to now?

Don't know that our coaches did anything wrong. Might be more about SS coaches dialing it in extremely well, if you're going to assess blame/credit.

montanaguy said:
Don't know that our coaches did anything wrong. Might be more about SS coaches dialing it in extremely well, if you're going to assess blame/credit.

Oh don’t get me wrong. I have been say for weeks that Sac is very good and it does not shock me that they win this game at home. It did surprise me how badly the Griz played however. A couple key scores I attribute to bad defensive assignments. Griz drops and drive killing penalties are not on Sac. The staff just did not have the team ready for this game. The Griz should have been able to hang around better than they did.

gotgame75 said:
I know I'll probably get hated on for pissing on people's Cheerios in the aftermath of a nice win, but our defense absolutely has to get better if we have any hope to make it successfully through conference and in to the playoffs.

We are getting almost ZERO pressure on the QB from the D-line. We will get eaten alive in conference if this continues. It's now on Baer to show he can make some level of adjustment. Based on prior experience, I won't hold my breath.

We got better. Still a few palm to face moments, mostly in same position/plays but overall this D has buckled down when needed.

I'm impressed, I really am.

Secondary is without doubt still a weakness. That being said, my god the defense as a whole was physical today! Just punished Weber. All.Day.Long

Other than one drive, the defense gave up a grand total of 41 yards last night. Astounding to still be in the game after 6 turnovers including a blocked punt for a touchdown. Forced 8 punts. Played their asses off.

Back