• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Defense is VERY Suspect

gotgame75 said:
1972 said:
AZGrizFan said:
So my “recording” on Altitude didn’t happen because they’re in a pissing match with DirecTV.

I just watched two different highlight reels and what I saw was 3 sacks, several QB pressures (including one that caused a pick)...not sure if people expect pressure EVERY play or what, but it appears to me that, combined with the stuffing of the run, the D actually got some pressure and disrupted the passing game...certainly enough to win. I’d say 3 sacks, 2 picks and several hurries with 0 run game is gonna win a lot of games for us.

:thumb:

I can promise you that if you watch entire game you will be less than stoked with our pass rush. The sacks we did get were the product of coverage or the qb hanging around the pocket too long. This is nothing new, it's been this way all season.

I love the progress of this team, but the pass rush is in desperate need of improvement. I don't think any somewhat objective fan can argue otherwise.We can keep up the excuses about making them one dimensional, but we gave up 400 yards in the air to a running team.

Additionally, our defensive scheme continually fails to adapt in the second half. Monmouth had open receivers ALL DAY LONG. And our 3 man front gets ZERO push.

Mark my words, we will get torched by Davis unless we find a way to make their QB uncomfortable in the pocket.

Agreed! The sugar coating going on is unreal. UC Davis is going to kill us if we don’t get our pass rush figured out.

1972 said:
dupuyer griz said:
fencer24 said:
"Pete Guerriero, who averages 130 yards rushing, managed just 47 yards on 18 carries."
He is a heck of a runner with quite a bit of speed and he only got 47 yards? Seems like the game plan was to stop the run and make them throw. Which is what happened, and we still won. Makes one think the coaches know what they are doing.
I’m pumped we were able to stop the run, I’m very worried about what happens against Davis. I hope I’m wrong, but 400 passing from Monmouth doesn’t give me warm fuzzies. Also, when the hell did giving up 474 qualify as great defense.

NDSU gave up 422 to Davis today. Davis is going to be extremely hard to stop.

And, if not for two key interceptions, one on the goal line, and a totally bullshit offensive holding call that nullified another TD, Davis could have won in Fargo.

The QB we played today will probably get a look from the NFL. Great arm, good vision, moves well, patient. I was frustrated also with the coverage, but the DBs were out on islands all day with the focus on stopping the run.

Diesel said:
Griz D made them one dimensional. They had to give up on run early, I wouldn’t consider that bad defense. Hawks longest pass reception was a Sandry INT that was ruled a reception. Hawks had a tall WR/TE that was great in red zone and fifth year QB that was accurate and patient. They had a good combo of size and speed at WR, most yards on WR screens and short passes, they were patient, not giving D line time to get to QB. Monmoth is a good FCS team.

Don't forget that Monmouth has a pretty darn good oline . I cant remember exactly how many rush yards they were averaging per game . So yeah pressuring their QB was going to be a challenge.
Also their QB is very good as well .( in the running for the Walter Payton award I believe)

gotgame75 said:
I know I'll probably get hated on for pissing on people's Cheerios in the aftermath of a nice win, but our defense absolutely has to get better if we have any hope to make it successfully through conference and in to the playoffs.

We are getting almost ZERO pressure on the QB from the D-line. We will get eaten alive in conference if this continues. It's now on Baer to show he can make some level of adjustment. Based on prior experience, I won't hold my breath.

" the sky is not falling " chicken little
Relax

fencer24 said:
"Pete Guerriero, who averages 130 yards rushing, managed just 47 yards on 18 carries."
He is a heck of a runner with quite a bit of speed and he only got 47 yards? Seems like the game plan was to stop the run and make them throw. Which is what happened, and we still won. Makes one think the coaches know what they are doing.

I dont know who you think you are fencer24, but this is egriz . Quit talking sense . This board is for dumpster fires only

we will have no issues next week. Maybe then, but probably not, people will start understanding we are way better than people want to believe.

UC Davis will torch us because they are damn good. They out played NDSU and the bison were lucky with a few TO's to escape that game with a win. The Griz offense is going to have to play flawless.

We will know what we have next Saturday.
If we get out of Davis with a W the Griz are without a doubt title contenders.

The thing that I thought was weird was how the Griz went to many delayed blitz packages even though Monmouth went to a quicker passing game for most the second half. Also, the LB's and safeties played just as poorly in pass D as the corners.

I think it's fair to be concerned about some aspects of the defense. With UCD on deck yesterdays performance gives cause for concern.

Looking at the steam statistically as most teams have completed their OOC:

- 5th best in defensive scoring
- 10th in total yards allowed (447/game)
- 3rd in rush defense (122/game)
- 13th in pass defense (324/game)
- 1st in interceptions (6)
- T-8th in sacks (6)
- T-10th in opponent 1st downs allowed per game
- 2nd in 3rd down defensive conversion rate (28.8%)
- 5th in red zone defense

QUICK EDIT: Looks like the BSC hasn't updated stats from yesterday yet, these are probably subject to change a bit, I'll check again later.

Zirg said:
Diesel said:
Post game, reference made about Nash getting picked on by Monmoth, Bobby brought out he was converted WR playing CB. Staff has done well , Fouch and Calhoun are in same position and playing well. Amazing how they are helping make CB a strength instead of a deficit.

Nash was dreadful today. #23 Greene was abusing him time after time on one drive. His one "good play", the INT on a 4th down desperation throw actually cost the Griz 6 yards if he had just dropped it. I'm not blaming him for making the pick, but even his best play was a negative play in reality. He's usually solid,but not today.

Our Run Defense-especially the goal-line stand and limiting Guerriero shows we can be solid there. Our pass-coverage and (a lack of ) pass-rush pressure concerns me.

Zirg - You are dead wrong on your comments regarding Nash's interception. It was on 3rd down and if you would look at the highlights on GoGriz at around the 1:49 mark and you will clearly see the down marker with a 3 on it. Nash's game was quite a bit better than how you portray it IMO.

With the exception of Poly (we have been very capable of stopping the run), there can’t be many O Coordinators in the bsc terrified of Baer’s D.

It’s great and commendable we can make teams one dimensional. But if we cannot generate pressure, bsc QBs will put up serious numbers. We may win some games, but buckle up, because they’ll all be up and down the field shootouts.

pussycatkillerz said:
UC Davis will torch us because they are damn good. They out played NDSU and the bison were lucky with a few TO's to escape that game with a win.
So now turnovers are luck. BS; turnovers are either a good play by the defense or a bad play by the offense, or both. Killing a running game and making an offense one-dimensional often ends in late ints, which was the case in both the Griz and NDSU game. Even with two exceptional QBs. Strategy executed; not luck.

Griz1 said:
Zirg said:
Diesel said:
Post game, reference made about Nash getting picked on by Monmoth, Bobby brought out he was converted WR playing CB. Staff has done well , Fouch and Calhoun are in same position and playing well. Amazing how they are helping make CB a strength instead of a deficit.

Nash was dreadful today. #23 Greene was abusing him time after time on one drive. His one "good play", the INT on a 4th down desperation throw actually cost the Griz 6 yards if he had just dropped it. I'm not blaming him for making the pick, but even his best play was a negative play in reality. He's usually solid,but not today.

Our Run Defense-especially the goal-line stand and limiting Guerriero shows we can be solid there. Our pass-coverage and (a lack of ) pass-rush pressure concerns me.

Zirg - You are dead wrong on your comments regarding Nash's interception. It was on 3rd down and if you would look at the highlights on GoGriz at around the 1:49 mark and you will clearly see the down marker with a 3 on it. Nash's game was quite a bit better than how you portray it IMO.
And if just incomplete, I was not looking forward to what that QB would pull off on 4th down.

First of all uc Davis has a very experienced offensive line and probably the best quarterback in the conference with talented receivers. Their strength is our weakness. If we can’t generate some offense and score on long sustained drives we’re in for long day. Shorten this game a win it by something like 31-24 would be sweet. One thing for sure-come this time next week we will know how we stack up against the best of the Big Sky.

Go Griz!

NDSU HC post game was asked about Bison D giving up several yards. His response was he didn’t care about yards. Key was you win 85% by holding teams under 17 points.
Griz are averaging about 24 points given up per game. USD, Monmouth, and Oregon are above average offenses.

retiredpopo said:
we will have no issues next week. Maybe then, but probably not, people will start understanding we are way better than people want to believe.

blah blah blah lol. Well hope all the people who thought we were going to get beat finally realize how good this team is. 11-1 regular season.

retiredpopo said:
retiredpopo said:

blah blah blah lol. Well hope all the people who thought we were going to get beat finally realize how good this team is. 11-1 regular season.

Ha. I keep replying +1 to poo.

Back