• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dangers of the Internet

CDAGRIZ said:
I know my first post in this thread was from the other perspective, but since I'm in the middle: Has anyone else noticed how much youngsters nowadays want/deserve the things celebrities/influencers have? Again, anecdotes only, but I've personally seen a younger relative (25-ish at the time) drive a BMW M3, buy his GF Louis Vuitton handbags, take foreign vacations, expensive dinners, etc. all while living with his parents. He had a job, paid for the stuff himself and everything, but still lived at home until he got married. His case doesn't appear unique.

I feel like this is the new norm. I swear, when I was that age, a girl would be much more interested if I drove a used Civic, bought her flowers, dinner at Chili's, and a road trip, if it meant I had my own apartment. I'm not saying one way is wrong. Just an observation.

CDAGRIZ, I think you and I are similar in age. Here is my opinion (so take it as it is) working with the younger generation every day at Southeast Missouri State University. This current generation is more conscience of the fact that they will have less than their parents than any generation I have ever seen. My students find every way they can to not take out loans. They demand high quality education. And, they know that they are seeking jobs that past generations were not required to have a degree in.

On top of that, I see some posts here trying to paint Millenials that are for student loan dept to be cancelled as free loaders. They are not. Sh!t around 1980 public universities' budgets were about 80 to 90% funded by the public. Today, about 25% of these budgets are funded by the public.

To add, rent is higher, wages are less (accounting for inflation, minimum wage of 1970 equates to around 25 dollars per hour now), and there are more monthly bills than ever.

The student body here just wants to survive. With few exceptions, no one is looking for Louis Vuitton handbags.

CDAGRIZ said:
I know my first post in this thread was from the other perspective, but since I'm in the middle: Has anyone else noticed how much youngsters nowadays want/deserve the things celebrities/influencers have? Again, anecdotes only, but I've personally seen a younger relative (25-ish at the time) drive a BMW M3, buy his GF Louis Vuitton handbags, take foreign vacations, expensive dinners, etc. all while living with his parents. He had a job, paid for the stuff himself and everything, but still lived at home until he got married. His case doesn't appear unique.

I feel like this is the new norm. I swear, when I was that age, a girl would be much more interested if I drove a used Civic, bought her flowers, dinner at Chili's, and a road trip, if it meant I had my own apartment. I'm not saying one way is wrong. Just an observation.

That is all true, and it again goes back to technology that other generations literally never had to deal with. Now marketing teams are so freakign good at putting literally everything infront of your face and all you have to do is click a button. This generation lives with ZERO privacy. Anyone can reach you anytime. They have now mapped the human brain so well, and reversed engineered every aspect of the brain, that they now know EXACTLY how to put something in front of your face that is almost impossible for you to turn down.

Its never been easier to trap people into spending their money. Its never been easier to show people what they want and get it to them instantly.

People claiming that millennials are just soft, and thats why the world is the way it is, and the problems the country is having are honestly just ignorant. They show their true colors in just looking for the easy and convenient answer of "they're soft, they're entitled". Those people truly dont understand the complexity of todays world.

grizpsych said:
CDAGRIZ said:

CDAGRIZ, I think you and I are similar in age. Here is my opinion (so take it as it is) working with the younger generation every day at Southeast Missouri State University. This current generation is more conscience of the fact that they will have less than their parents than any generation I have ever seen. My students find every way they can to not take out loans. They demand high quality education. And, they know that they are seeking jobs that past generations were not required to have a degree in.

On top of that, I see some posts here trying to paint Millenials that are for student loan dept to be cancelled as free loaders. They are not. Sh!t around 1980 public universities' budgets were about 80 to 90% funded by the public. Today, about 25% of these budgets are funded by the public.

To add, rent is higher, wages are less (accounting for inflation, minimum wage of 1970 equates to around 25 dollars per hour now), and there are more monthly bills than ever.

The student body here just wants to survive. With few exceptions, no one is looking for Louis Vuitton handbags.

Yep.....and oh by the way...we have managed to become the most educated generation our country has ever seen, all while the prices of education are the highest weve ever seen.

What I find often when people criticize millenials is that it all kind of comes down to older generations dont like that we ask WHY""

Why are we doing this, why do i have to do that this way, why cant I do this that way. We dont blindly accept that authority is telling us to jump, and asking how high without any reasoning.

Its easy to understand. Why would you ask why growing up in a generation where everything just worked well for mostly everyone? Millenials have never known this world to be true..weve experienced the opposite for ever. Systems that work for hardly anyone, but were told by the older generations to not ask questions and just shut up and do it.....they dont like the WHYS

BadlandsGrizFan said:
grizpsych said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yep.....and oh by the way...we have managed to become the most educated generation our country has ever seen, all while the prices of education are the highest weve ever seen.

What I find often when people criticize millenials is that it all kind of comes down to older generations dont like that we ask WHY""

Why are we doing this, why do i have to do that this way, why cant I do this that way. We dont blindly accept that authority is telling us to jump, and asking how high without any reasoning.

Its easy to understand. Why would you ask why growing up in a generation where everything just worked well for mostly everyone? Millenials have never known this world to be true..weve experienced the opposite for ever. Systems that work for hardly anyone, but were told by the older generations to not ask questions and just shut up and do it.....they dont like the WHYS
As a person born in the last year of Gen X, I feel like I had a similar experience as you portrayed, except less intense. Most Millenials I've known, know that the world that they were born into is dying. They are looking for ways to revitalize it, and I hope (especially for my 7 year old) they succeed. Millenials are required to be the actual greatest generation. Boomers made it mandatory.

grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:
Again, no one is forced to take on debt....not one person.

What are all the options then Soldier?

Work and pay cash. Community colleges for gen eds,, military and GI Bill. There are ways and it absolutely can be done.

SoldierGriz said:
grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:

Work and pay cash. Community colleges for gen eds,, military and GI Bill. There are ways and it absolutely can be done.
I don't necessarily disagree. However, my father (a Sergeant Major in Vietnam) told me he would shoot me before I got to boot camp if I joined. Working at near minimum wage takes three years to pay 1 year of tuition. The school you go to directly affects the career you will have. And, people have finite life spans. And work life spans are less than that.

Here is an experience I had. I was lucky enough to go to a premier university for my area of expertise. But, I came from Montana. Two weeks there, I was at a dinner where we hosted one of the top Psychologists in my field. He went around to all of the graduate students, asking them where they did there undergraduate work and then asking them other details. When he came to me and I answered I went to the University of Montana, he smiled and moved on.

SoldierGriz said:

Actually the world kind of does force you to take on debt. There are several types of debt. Owning a mortgage is a type of debt. Paying a rent is debt.

Living in a first world country requires debt, the monetary system in its self is just one massive system of debt. What are we talking about here?

grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:

I don't necessarily disagree. However, my father (a Sergeant Major in Vietnam) told me he would shoot me before I got to boot camp if I joined. Working at near minimum wage takes three years to pay 1 year of tuition. The school you go to directly affects the career you will have. And, people have finite life spans. And work life spans are less than that.

Here is an experience I had. I was lucky enough to go to a premier university for my area of expertise. But, I came from Montana. Two weeks there, I was at a dinner where we hosted one of the top Psychologists in my field. He went around to all of the graduate students, asking them where they did there undergraduate work and then asking them other details. When he came to me and I answered I went to the University of Montana, he smiled and moved on.

4 or 5 roomates... 60 hour work weeks...save the money. People simply don't want to do what it takes, but they could do it.

I think the cost of college is ridiculous. Community college for 1st 2 years will be mandatory in my house. Kids will work thru school. Goal is little to no debt.

You know... many, many millenials are thriving...those with their ears pinned back and working for it.

SoldierGriz said:
grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:

I agree with your ways of not accumulating a lot of debt, and obviously understand your regards to our Armed Services, but to continue on the trend of the topic, which is Millenials, and how horrible we are you understand your scenarios solution is essentially telling millenials, "Hey man, you can get free school and get a good loan on a home, all you have to do is risk your life by getting shot at, or blown up by an IED"

Because for my generation, joining the service means right after school, you enlist around 2006-07 and you get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan.

Im sorry but telling 18 year olds, heyyy man theres a way to not go into debt, all you have to do is get shot at...is not the high bar I think we should be setting as a nation.

grizpsych said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Sure, man. I get it. My personal encounters with many in that generation have been a bit different, but I'm not trying to say they are all that way.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:

I agree with your ways of not accumulating a lot of debt, and obviously understand your regards to our Armed Services, but to continue on the trend of the topic, which is Millenials, and how horrible we are you understand your scenarios solution is essentially telling millenials, "Hey man, you can get free school and get a good loan on a home, all you have to do is risk your life by getting shot at, or blown up by an IED"

Because for my generation, joining the service means right after school, you enlist around 2006-07 and you get sent to Iraq, or Afghanistan.

Im sorry but telling 18 year olds, heyyy man theres a way to not go into debt, all you have to do is get shot at...is not the high bar I think we should be setting as a nation.

It's not the only option, there are many.

As far as military service goes, I don't want you to have anxiety. Others will do it for you.

By the way, the millenials I led in combat were tough, resilient, and proud. Heroes.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
CDAGRIZ said:

That is all true, and it again goes back to technology that other generations literally never had to deal with. Now marketing teams are so freakign good at putting literally everything infront of your face and all you have to do is click a button. This generation lives with ZERO privacy. Anyone can reach you anytime. They have now mapped the human brain so well, and reversed engineered every aspect of the brain, that they now know EXACTLY how to put something in front of your face that is almost impossible for you to turn down.

Its never been easier to trap people into spending their money. Its never been easier to show people what they want and get it to them instantly.

People claiming that millennials are just soft, and thats why the world is the way it is, and the problems the country is having are honestly just ignorant. They show their true colors in just looking for the easy and convenient answer of "they're soft, they're entitled". Those people truly dont understand the complexity of todays world.

Pretty good points, Badlands. I was just trying to point out that the 18-25 age range appears a lot more interested in blurring the line between rich people/celebs and themselves these days. Again, just the ones I see, not all of them. I'm not that old, and I don't yell at clouds (yet), but I remember a time when "I can't afford it" meant "I can't afford it because then I won't be able to save the amount I want to save this month". I think that has changed a bit.

I've never been to Italy; many of my younger relatives have (and one has asked me for money to do it). I've never owned a Tesla; many of my younger relatives do. I don't eat at Mastro's every month; many of my younger relatives do. I don't have an annual pass to Disneyland (avoid it like the plague); almost all of my younger relatives do. I own a house; none of my younger relatives do.

That said, I see both sides of it, and I agree with your last paragraph. See my first post in this thread.

grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:
grizpsych said:
SoldierGriz said:

Absolutely true – re "career" path vs school attended – in some fields ... and that includes yours, apparently. I did not go to a "premier" university for either my undergraduate or graduate degrees (in chemistry). I had the grades to attend UC-Berkeley, but could not afford it. So I attended JC and then San Jose State University (then college). But I came out of JC with enough science credits to get a technician's job for a year or so. Not great pay, but I saved enough to finish my education. So your career choice matters a lot. Mind you, you have to live cheap and there's not much room for frivolities -- robustly pounded and slow-cooked round steak becomes your luxury meal for the month. (Just to be clear, I lived with, and basically worked for, my grandparents for JC, but paid my own way after that.)

I'll grant that, after I got my Ph.D. (at New Mexico State U.), I got hardly a sniff at a job in academia, where that kind of snobbery matters. But industry didn't give an ishtay about where I got my degree(s). They looked at the work I had done, my publications. ... saw a good fit, and offered me a job. The entry-level salary was such that I had to check if I'd heard it right when they called me. Did I have a spectacular career? Perhaps not, but we (the team I eventually assembled) published some important work, and my wife and I are now comfortably retired.

That being said, I am also aware that the cost of a college education has escalated far beyond the "normal" rate of inflation. Someone who "graduates" from high school with no worthwhile work skills/education is going to have a rough time. And, as some have said on here, some (many?) are not cut out for college and would be far better off going to a "trade" or technical school. Last I looked -- and sneer all you want -- diesel mechanics make damn good money (about triple the min wage, on average).

SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Your post is typical tho....our younger generations have almost zero perspective or historical context resulting in the belief that life is soooooo hard.

it seems to me like you are the one whining about life being hard.

Sure thing...life is good for me. I don't whine.

yes you do, you've done it here. young people who don't take orders from you are in general not good enough, so you come on egriz and whine about them. the truth is hard to take for all of us sometimes. but do go on about your exceptionalism.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:
Your post is typical tho....our younger generations have almost zero perspective or historical context resulting in the belief that life is soooooo hard.

it seems to me like you are the one whining about life being hard.

Sure thing...life is good for me. I don't whine.

yes you do, you've done it here. young people who don't take orders from you are in general not good enough, so you come on egriz and whine about them. the truth is hard to take for all of us sometimes. but do go on about your exceptionalism.

Now that this is in the locker room, go fuck yourself. How is that for exceptionalism?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
The 2 World Wars were small potatoes for sure...

Robits are assholes!

No they weren’t small potatoes. But they didn’t involve people hijacking airplanes loaded with innocent civilians that were flown into buildings (WTC2 in particular) as millions watched, then rewatched on endless loops from numerous angles with people screaming and recordings of people on the phone pleading for help as the building collapsed, while others fell in plain view to their death.

There are things just as horrific, like the holocaust, but most of those things weren’t being broadcast live on multiple television stations worldwide for everyone to see. So nothing really compares to 9-11.

Just stop. During our Revolution, westward expansion, Civil War, Great Depression, and World Wars...nearly every single family in the Nation was affected in an intimate way. It was up close and personal in ways we cannot even imagine.

Lol, Ive never said our life is sooooo hard. What is waaaay more hard tho is what it takes to make a decent living and providing for yourself as an American now days. All those generations you mention that came before wernt competing with anyone else outside the united states for jobs, or really anything. You cant act like thats not a factor. Has lifes comfort and accessibility became much much easier, YES..100%. Do outside factors exist that previous generations never had to even fathom thinking about exist with younger generations now??? ABSOLUTELY

I wonder how many of our grandparents were worried if they were going to lose their jobs to some 17 year old in India..or a ROBOT when they were 20?

This country was quite stable, the power of the world, the envy of the world, until mid-60s. Then a few things happened: Warren SCOTUS; JFK killed; Gulf of Tonkin 'incident'; LBJs 'guns and butter'. This coincided with the first of the Baby Boomer generation coming of age. From there, it went downhill. I recall the picture of JFK shaking the hand of a young Bill Clinton. How the hell did that POS become President, twice?!!! Those that don't learn from their history are doomed to repeat it.

Back