• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Dangers of the Internet

BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
poorgriz said:
getgrizzy said:
There isn’t anything wrong with the internet or this generation. People are always looking for an excuse. When the Vietnam War was lost people blamed that generation and Rock Music and drugs.

This generation is very tough. You have crank, sex trafficking, huge financial gap, terrorism at it highest level both domestic and foreign and they see teen suicide regularly.

If anything the internet makes these kids tougher and more resilient.

The everyone gets a trophy excuse is BS. Kids don’t go out for sports as much because they just don’t find them that interesting. Probably because their parents think sports are so great, but mostly because they have other interests.

Currently this generation is trying to solve global warming and end mass killings in schools. Pretty big undertakings.

PRs post mentioned that peoples' anxiety levels are increasing dramatically. I didn't look to see where the data came from but I'm pretty sure that is reality. It also says that rise is in correlation to the explosion of the internet. What part of that are you disagreeing with?

How can they say it’s just the internet or mostly the internet? You have bizarre politics with media wings blasting out all kinds of misleading information. You have mass shootings in schools, all kinds of terrorism. Massive debt, recession, global warming, oceans filling with plastic. I mean there’s lots to have anxiety about, so I doubt it’s mostly from the internet. I think the internet is more relaxing for me. I use it to solve all kinds of vehicle and home problems. It quickly answers questions, helps me navigate when I’m out of town. If it’s causing anxiety for someone, I’d say that person had a problem to begin with.

Heres a very generic and slight insight into what the millennial generation is facing and how we view the world basically on a day to day basis. We have soooooo many problems to fix, not only societal but global scale to fix. I know this will cause a lot of people to roll their eyes, but basically our generation will be the ones in charge when we either prevent the planet from dying, or we allow it too, that in itself is unbelievably stressful and anxiety inducing. Say we dont do it, ok great now we have to figure out how to colonize mars I guess. It may not seem like it, but consciously we( millennials) all honestly know thats our job.

Basically when we were all 10 years old we watched 2,000 people die on live TV and then literally nothing got better after that. And we ask the question why our generation suffers from issues that generations before us never had to deal with.

I agree that with the internet, social media, etc., there is a lot more stuff coming at everyone. I know that has an impact. However, famine, disease, wars, problems, weren't just invented. The possibility of being drafted for various wars, including Viet Nam, caused more than a little stress.

WWII and I stats from Internet:

WW II Worldwide Casualties*

Battle Deaths 15,000,000
Battle Wounded 25,000,000
Civilian Deaths 45,000,000

Both Military and Civilian

Deaths: 16.5 million

Wounded: 20 million

Total WW1 Casualties: 35 million +
Military

Deaths: 9.7 million

Wounded: 21.2 million

Prisoners of War and Missing Soldiers: 7.5 million

Opinion piece from member of NY Times Editorial board. I agree with the premise. This points out that other solutions, including dealing with the Internet, are probably necessary. Not banning "assault" rifles.

"It’s Too Late to Ban Assault Weapons
The half-life of military-style rifles ensures they’ll be with us for many generations. Time to deal with the world as it is."

"With proper care and maintenance, an AR-15 rifle manufactured today will fire just as effectively in the year 2119 and probably for decades after that.

There are currently around 15 million military-style rifles in civilian hands in the United States. They are very rarely used in suicides or crimes. But when they are, the bloodshed is appalling.

Acknowledging the grim reality that we will live among these guns indefinitely is a necessary first step toward making the nation safer. Frustratingly, calling for military-style rifles bans — as I have done for years — may be making other lifesaving gun laws harder to pass."

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/08/09/opinion/ar15-assault-weapon-ban.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage

BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
poorgriz said:
getgrizzy said:
There isn’t anything wrong with the internet or this generation. People are always looking for an excuse. When the Vietnam War was lost people blamed that generation and Rock Music and drugs.

This generation is very tough. You have crank, sex trafficking, huge financial gap, terrorism at it highest level both domestic and foreign and they see teen suicide regularly.

The everyone gets a trophy excuse is BS. Kids don’t go out for sports as much because they just don’t find them that interesting. Probably because their parents think sports are so great, but mostly because they have other interests.

Currently this generation is trying to solve global warming and end mass killings in schools. Pretty big undertakings.

PRs post mentioned that peoples' anxiety levels are increasing dramatically. I didn't look to see where the data came from but I'm pretty sure that is reality. It also says that rise is in correlation to the explosion of the internet. What part of that are you disagreeing with?

How can they say it’s just the internet or mostly the internet? You have bizarre politics with media wings blasting out all kinds of misleading information. You have mass shootings in schools, all kinds of terrorism. Massive debt, recession, global warming, oceans filling with plastic. I mean there’s lots to have anxiety about, so I doubt it’s mostly from the internet. I think the internet is more relaxing for me. I use it to solve all kinds of vehicle and home problems. It quickly answers questions, helps me navigate when I’m out of town. If it’s causing anxiety for someone, I’d say that person had a problem to begin with.

Heres a very generic and slight insight into what the millennial generation is facing and how we view the world basically on a day to day basis. We have soooooo many problems to fix, not only societal but global scale to fix. I know this will cause a lot of people to roll their eyes, but basically our generation will be the ones in charge when we either prevent the planet from dying, or we allow it too, that in itself is unbelievably stressful and anxiety inducing. Say we dont do it, ok great now we have to figure out how to colonize mars I guess. It may not seem like it, but consciously we( millennials) all honestly know thats our job.

Basically when we were all 10 years old we watched 2,000 people die on live TV and then literally nothing got better after that. And we ask the question why our generation suffers from issues that generations before us never had to deal with.

You have just earned the "millennial post of the year" award. Congratulations.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
poorgriz said:
getgrizzy said:

Nothing compares to 9-11.

Overpopulation is another huge factor in anxiety. When WWII started there were 130 million in the USA. When I was a kid there were 205 million people in the USA. Now there are 330 million.

There were 2.3 billion in 1939 worldwide, 3.7 in 1970, and 7.7 billion now.

getgrizzy said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:
poorgriz said:

Overpopulation is another huge factor in anxiety. When WWII started there were 130 million in the USA. When I was a kid there were 205 million people in the USA. Now there are 330 million.

The 2 World Wars were small potatoes for sure...

SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:
getgrizzy said:

No they weren’t small potatoes. But they didn’t involve people hijacking airplanes loaded with innocent civilians that were flown into buildings (WTC2 in particular) as millions watched, then rewatched on endless loops from numerous angles with people screaming and recordings of people on the phone pleading for help as the building collapsed, while others fell in plain view to their death.

There are things just as horrific, like the holocaust, but most of those things weren’t being broadcast live on multiple television stations worldwide for everyone to see. So nothing really compares to 9-11.

getgrizzy said:
poorgriz said:
getgrizzy said:

So what is causing the drastic rise in anxiety then?

getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

No they weren’t small potatoes. But they didn’t involve people hijacking airplanes loaded with innocent civilians that were flown into buildings (WTC2 in particular) as millions watched, then rewatched on endless loops from numerous angles with people screaming and recordings of people on the phone pleading for help as the building collapsed, while others fell in plain view to their death.

There are things just as horrific, like the holocaust, but most of those things weren’t being broadcast live on multiple television stations worldwide for everyone to see. So nothing really compares to 9-11.

Just stop. During our Revolution, westward expansion, Civil War, Great Depression, and World Wars...nearly every single family in the Nation was affected in an intimate way. It was up close and personal in ways we cannot even imagine.

Your post is typical tho....our younger generations have almost zero perspective or historical context resulting in the belief that life is soooooo hard.

SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:

Just stop. During our Revolution, westward expansion, Civil War, Great Depression, and World Wars...nearly every single family in the Nation was affected in an intimate way. It was up close and personal in ways we cannot even imagine.

Your post is typical tho....our younger generations have almost zero perspective or historical context resulting in the belief that life is soooooo hard.

He's too young to remember the Viet Nam war in all its gory glory literally being broadcast on TV every single night.

I’m not really religious and don’t do social media (unless this counts), but it was recently pointed out to me that social media is the epitome of the seven deadly sins:
Pride? Basically the only reason for social.
Envy? Hand-n-Hand with pride
Lust? Stalkers and porn
Greed? Everywhere, not just Kardashian’s
Gluttony? People post pics of food, ffs.
Wrath? Hateful rants, extreme violence
Sloth? Basically laziness, hours and hours of screen time.

Social checks all the boxes

SoldierGriz said:

it seems to me like you are the one whining about life being hard.

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:

He's too young to remember the Viet Nam war in all its gory glory literally being broadcast on TV every single night.

Yep. You are correct that our generation created the environment for them...coddled, helicoptered, and bulldozed to "protect" them. We are reaping the results as a nation.

My son is of the generation beyond millenials...he laughs at them for what it's worth.

argh! said:
SoldierGriz said:

it seems to me like you are the one whining about life being hard.

Sure thing...life is good for me. I don't whine.

SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:

Yep. You are correct that our generation created the environment for them...coddled, helicoptered, and bulldozed to "protect" them. We are reaping the results as a nation.

My son is of the generation beyond millenials...he laughs at them for what it's worth.

I’m not a millennial. My brother fought in the Vietnam War. My father fought in WWII. My uncle fought in the Korean War. I was in the service for six years.

In my opinion no single event of carnage in human history was viewed worldwide as much as 9-11. Wars are wars and we’ve come to have an expectation of what they’re like and that dulls our senses. They are horrific, but we expect some of the combatants to be cruel and we know there’ll be collateral damage. There was no expectation that on 9-11-01 we’d see what we saw. I’m more shocked and mortified by what I saw happen that day than anything I can recall during wartime. No one has even made a decent movie about it, because virtually every second of it played out right in front of us.

getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

I’m not a millennial. My brother fought in the Vietnam War. My father fought in WWII. My uncle fought in the Korean War. I was in the service for six years.

In my opinion no single event of carnage in human history was viewed worldwide as much as 9-11. Wars are wars and we’ve come to have an expectation of what they’re like and that dulls our senses. They are horrific, but we expect some of the combatants to be cruel and we know there’ll be collateral damage. There was no expectation that on 9-11-01 we’d see what we saw. I’m more shocked and mortified by what I saw happen that day than anything I can recall during wartime. No one has even made a decent movie about it, because virtually every second of it played out right in front of us.

No issues with your opinion. My apologies for casting you as a millenial...my bad.

I know my first post in this thread was from the other perspective, but since I'm in the middle: Has anyone else noticed how much youngsters nowadays want/deserve the things celebrities/influencers have? Again, anecdotes only, but I've personally seen a younger relative (25-ish at the time) drive a BMW M3, buy his GF Louis Vuitton handbags, take foreign vacations, expensive dinners, etc. all while living with his parents. He had a job, paid for the stuff himself and everything, but still lived at home until he got married. His case doesn't appear unique.

I feel like this is the new norm. I swear, when I was that age, a girl would be much more interested if I drove a used Civic, bought her flowers, dinner at Chili's, and a road trip, if it meant I had my own apartment. I'm not saying one way is wrong. Just an observation.

getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
BadlandsGrizFan said:

Yep, and that was basically our generations first real world experience.

I remember being in 6th grade and my teacher telling the whole class while we watched on the TV and he was crying, that "The world that we all live in will never be the same" and we were all like uhhhhhh we dont understand how anything works yet...but ok lol.

Further to the above, if I bought my now wife a pair of Louboutin heels while living at home at 25, I think she would have thanked my parents to shame me.

SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:
SoldierGriz said:
getgrizzy said:

Lol, Ive never said our life is sooooo hard. What is waaaay more hard tho is what it takes to make a decent living and providing for yourself as an American now days. All those generations you mention that came before wernt competing with anyone else outside the united states for jobs, or really anything. You cant act like thats not a factor. Has lifes comfort and accessibility became much much easier, YES..100%. Do outside factors exist that previous generations never had to even fathom thinking about exist with younger generations now??? ABSOLUTELY

I wonder how many of our grandparents were worried if they were going to lose their jobs to some 17 year old in India..or a ROBOT when they were 20?

Back