• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Covid

White Castle needs to have an asterisk next to it. You either love them or not. I'm on the not side....terrible stuff.

Besides, shouldn't this be a Montana list? Is there a Castle in MT?

Iowagriz said:
White Castle needs to have an asterisk next to it. You either love them or not. I'm on the not side....terrible stuff.

No, not yet but you can buy them at the store.

garizzalies said:
We covered the best burgers and chicky-sands, how ‘bout the best pork chop sand?
1. Wop chop
2. Peppermint Patties
3. John’s
4. MT Club
5. Frozen John’s on the bbq

Sorry but the best pork chop san went to Lisa's hands down, sorry she is out of business. :cry: :cry:

GrizLA said:
Ursa Major said:
e-Griz Guide to the Best Burger Joints

Thanks All! Let me know if I missed anything.

1) Mo Club
2) Hudson’s
3) White Castle
4) Novasio’s
5) The m&m before it burnt. We will rebuild!
6) That place in Hamilton
7) The Billings place
8) The second time you digest the previously eaten Mo burger.
9) Lynn’s Drive-in, Ronan
10) The Beer Jug - Glendive, MT
11) Richwine’s Burgerville - Polson
13) Whataburger
14) AWF’s house, bison burger, and, you can shove your multigrain bread up your ass.
15) Chester’s in Frisco, Texas
16) 4B’s Pattie Melt
17) Fireside Inn in Sun River. 24–it was still standing when I drove by in June.
18) Burgertown in Bigfork

In LA it's Father's Office and Fat Jacks...In South Carolina, its Sonic but people don't go for burgers when there is bbq on Thurs, Fri, Sat and Sunday morning.

I liked the original Father's Office in Santa Monica (fun fact: it's on Montana Ave.), but you just couldn't go into it expecting a traditional burger. It was more like a ground beef sandwich. Culver City location was meh.

Probably after you left, but a place called Umami Burger opened up at the Fred Segel in Santa Monica in about 2008ish. I think it's now moved. When it opened, it was unlike any burger I've ever tasted. I've heard it's dropped off since they expanded to more and more locations, but they had a run for about three years there where nothing in the restaurant burger price range could touch it.

Late to the party, but one of the best burgers I've ever had is the Aussie burger at Backslope Brewing in Columbia Falls. A definite stop if you're heading to Glacier.

Quick aside: I was going through some of my aunt's old recipes recently, and everything that called for ground beef said "hamburger meat". Like for tacos or chili, "Brown one pound of hamburger meat". Meatballs? "Start with 2lbs hamburger meat". Is this a common thing that I've since lost? Or is my aunt just a little more batty than I thought?

CDAGRIZ said:
Quick aside: I was going through some of my aunt's old recipes recently, and everything that called for ground beef said "hamburger meat". Like for tacos or chili, "Brown one pound of hamburger meat". Meatballs? "Start with 2lbs hamburger meat". Is this a common thing that I've since lost? Or is my aunt just a little more batty than I thought?

She was just using North Dakota talk. It's a clown car act show to me but hey, if it works for them more power to 'em. :thumb:

ilovethecats said:
CDAGRIZ said:

She was just using North Dakota talk. It's a clown car act show to me but hey, if it works for them more power to 'em. :thumb:

:lol: Noted. Now that you mention it, I think I might've asked this here before.

Iowagriz said:

Well NOBODY likes them sober, Iowa. They are the consummate 2 am post drunk binge eating food. :lol:

AZGrizFan said:
Iowagriz said:

Well NOBODY likes them sober, Iowa. They are the consummate 2 am post drunk binge eating food. :lol:
Pretty much like brains and eggs at the Ox.

CDAGRIZ said:
argh! said:
hard shell tacos at taco john's in helena were among the best burgers around.

Great hamburger meat in those.

I can thank my wife for the embracing of authentic Mexican cuisine that doesn't include hard corn tortillas. First time she grabbed soft corn tortillas I thought she was nuts. Turns out fried soft corn tortillas are a great vehicle for the transportation of a wide array of proteins including taco meat. She was horrified when we went to a good many Mexican restaurants in Montana where when she asked Corn tortillas they dispensed the hard corn version that you get at Taco Johns, Taco Treat and Taco Bell.

My preferred protein is wild fresh caught tuna (blue/yellow fin), quick flash fried with some spicy seasoning, a little pico and some lime crema sauce with a dash of cotija. If you are ever in San Diego, please visit the Pacific Beach Fish Shop on Garnet. Some of the best tacos around and you'll have the option for soft corn or fried tortillas. There are some really nice Mexican Lagers that beer companies like Stone, Alesmith and others have been doing that pair exceptionally well.

Grizfan-24 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I can thank my wife for the embracing of authentic Mexican cuisine that doesn't include hard corn tortillas. First time she grabbed soft corn tortillas I thought she was nuts. Turns out fried soft corn tortillas are a great vehicle for the transportation of a wide array of proteins including taco meat. She was horrified when we went to a good many Mexican restaurants in Montana where when she asked Corn tortillas they dispensed the hard corn version that you get at Taco Johns, Taco Treat and Taco Bell.

My preferred protein is wild fresh caught tuna (blue/yellow fin), quick flash fried with some spicy seasoning, a little pico and some lime crema sauce with a dash of cotija. If you are ever in San Diego, please visit the Pacific Beach Fish Shop on Garnet. Some of the best tacos around and you'll have the option for soft corn or fried tortillas. There are some really nice Mexican Lagers that beer companies like Stone, Alesmith and others have been doing that pair exceptionally well.

i live where i have access to very good, authentic mexican food, sometimes maybe a bit too... authentic. i love it, and eat it all the time. but there is just something about those hard shell, over-cooked, cheap, far-from-mexico pseudo-tacos that i really like.

Grizfan-24 said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I was being completely sarcastic, and I assume argh! was as well. I agree with you 100%. An acquaintance of mine from down here who owns several taco franchises (think Dr. Dre's first solo album). He tried to open one in Spokane (I think his wife is from there). People were very disappointed that they couldn't get "hamburger meat" in a hard shell when they ordered a beef taco. I haven't spoken to him in a while about how the Spokane location is doing.

I'll keep PB Fish Shop on my list next time I'm down there. Have you had Puesto's tacos? One just opened up a few months back near me, and I really liked it the two times I went. Really interesting stuff. There's one near George's in La Jolla (George's also has a good fish taco). One of my best friends went to USD undergrad and law school, and he swears you can't find the "real" stuff north of the 8. I think he's just being a hardo.

argh! said:
Grizfan-24 said:

i live where i have access to very good, authentic mexican food, sometimes maybe a bit too... authentic. i love it, and eat it all the time. but there is just something about those hard shell, over-cooked, cheap, far-from-mexico pseudo-tacos that i really like.

:lol: I know it's not "authentic", I know it's not a "real taco", but I'm with you. Sometimes, I just want whatever that is.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I was being completely sarcastic, and I assume argh! was as well. I agree with you 100%. An acquaintance of mine from down here who owns several taco franchises (think Dr. Dre's first solo album). He tried to open one in Spokane (I think his wife is from there). People were very disappointed that they couldn't get "hamburger meat" in a hard shell when they ordered a beef taco. I haven't spoken to him in a while about how the Spokane location is doing.

I'll keep PB Fish Shop on my list next time I'm down there. Have you had Puesto's tacos? One just opened up a few months back near me, and I really liked it the two times I went. Really interesting stuff. There's one near George's in La Jolla (George's also has a good fish taco). One of my best friends went to USD undergrad and law school, and he swears you can't find the "real" stuff north of the 8. I think he's just being a hardo.

I haven't. I live north of the 8 and we get stuck eating a metric ton of east county Mexican food. PB fish shop is a quick drive (52 to the 5) as is Puestos (who I know a lot of people swear by as well), but frankly out of pure laziness I accept what east county S.D. has to offer.

I took the hard shell conversation as an opportunity to provide a conversation on a good taco.

One of my other favorite ways to eat tacos is when they take the soft corn shell, drop some shredded beef and then throw it in the fryer. Again throw on some shredded mexican blend, lettuce, tomatoes and cotija you have a fine taco. Served best again with a Mexican Lager or maybe an 805 cervesa that has lime brewed in.

CDAGRIZ said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I will admit one of my guilty pleasures is Del Taco Hard Shell Taco's. One is right around the corner and there is something about the metric ton of fresh shredded cheese they throw on there.

While they are taco's by name, I find myself eating Jack In The Box tacos in way too much as sometimes 2/1.25 tacos are exactly what my middle aged body needs. I am by no means a taco snob. Get them and enjoy them however you want.

Latest posts

Back