• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Connor Dick

grizzpa said:
Having recently lost my 17 year old granddaughter to an intoxicated 20 year old driver - I have zero tolerance for this behavior.
He needs to never repeat this behavior. UM, the legal system, his coaches, friends, parents, need to do something to ensure this is not repeated...
Call Mom, call Uber, call a friend, Do Not Drive

Pleanty of us old g'pa's out there. By mentioning the 'connection' to your granddaughter, you expose your bias. I have zero tolerance for your 'one size fits all' simplistic solutions.

Dick had nothing to do with your loss. So, don't attempt to barbeque him on the same flame you should be directing toward the driver that did. Show up at this parole hearing(s), write letters to those that have an impact on the case, testify at legislative hearings. Be proactive, not a 'Dick.'

I empathize with grizzpa and I don’t mean to trivialize his loss. The kid clearly made a mistake and deserves discipline but, absent knowing more, I don’t believe he should be dismissed from the team. He had other options and maybe he could have even walked home. He made the wrong choice.

3-7-77 said:
grizzpa said:
Having recently lost my 17 year old granddaughter to an intoxicated 20 year old driver - I have zero tolerance for this behavior.
He needs to never repeat this behavior. UM, the legal system, his coaches, friends, parents, need to do something to ensure this is not repeated...

Pleanty of us old g'pa's out there. By mentioning the 'connection' to your granddaughter, you expose your bias. I have zero tolerance for your 'one size fits all' simplistic solutions.

Dick had nothing to do with your loss. So, don't attempt to barbeque him on the same flame you should be directing toward the driver that did. Show up at this parole hearing(s), write letters to those that have an impact on the case, testify at legislative hearings. Be proactive, not a 'Dick.'
Who gives a shit about your tolerance level, "g'pa"...

grizzpa said:

Having had our adult son hit by someone who had been going 60 mph and looking at his phone when he turned into our son walking with a green light in a crosswalk, I have no tolerance for all of you who look at your phones and use them while driving. Our son was in hospital for 31 days and in ICU for 12. Three huge surgeries right away to reconstruct crushed joints. Can walk only with a walker. In huge pain. It's not just the fairly rare case of drinking, driving and hurting someone. It's also phone distracted driving and hurting someone, which is more prevalent. And it's speeding.

Should we push all athletes (and people in jobs) out, if they look at their phones and speed. Why is the less prevalent drinking and driving injury/death more serious than the more prevalent phone districted driving?

For those of you criticizing my zero tolerance stance on Irresponsible drunk driving - note, I did not suggest he get kicked off the team or imprisoned. I suggest he do something different the next time he is drinking and that family, friends, coaches, society encourage good decisions.
For those that think I'm a dick or not give a poop - I pray that you never experience the tragedy that I am still experiencing every second of every day.
I guarantee if,or when, you do you won't be so cavalier and sarcastic about drunk driving...

grizzpa said:
For those of you criticizing my zero tolerance stance on Irresponsible drunk driving - note, I did not suggest he get kicked off the team or imprisoned. I suggest he do something different the next time he is drinking and that family, friends, coaches, society encourage good decisions.
For those that think I'm a dick or not give a poop - I pray that you never experience the tragedy that I am still experiencing every second of every day.
I guarantee if,or when, you do you won't be so cavalier and sarcastic about drunk driving...

I am sorry you have to endure the loss of your granddaughter, and also sorry you faced the insensitivity of some on here when you waded in to offer your important perspective. Take care.

grizzpa said:

Symphaty for your loss, for those who can't understand your stance on this, shows alot about their character. :(

Grizzpa was comparing his loss to a drunk driver to Dick getting a DUI. Inappropriate comparison. . He mentions 'inappropriate' drunk driving, like there is an 'appropriate' drunk driving. :lol: No loss of life here, no personal connection. His loss does not make him someone special, some guru or the subject. Hoping Dick learns from his mistake is fine and well. I hope Grizzpa learns from his weighing in on something he has no connection to.The 'Dick' reference was just a play on Connors last name.
We all have experienced gains, as well as losses in this life. I could tell you lots of unrelated drunk driving stories, each of which impacted me and others to varying degrees. Later in life, we have time to dwell on them. We either cope, or we don't. I hope Grizzpa comes to cope with his loss.

Why do some consider drunk driving to be a horrible and inexcusable behavior, when phone-distracted driving and speeding have the same result? And injuries from phone-distracted driving cause my frequent accidents than drunk driving. I don't get it.

"1 in 4 U.S. auto accidents are caused by distracted driving (cellphone use), and that distracted driving is considered 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk." https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/axucuk/til_that_1_in_4_us_auto_accidents_are_caused_by/

mthoopsfan said:
Why do some consider drunk driving to be a horrible and inexcusable behavior, when phone-distracted driving and speeding have the same result? And injuries from phone-distracted driving cause my frequent accidents than drunk driving. I don't get it.

"1 in 4 U.S. auto accidents are caused by distracted driving (cellphone use), and that distracted driving is considered 6 times more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk." https://www.reddit.com/r/todayilearned/comments/axucuk/til_that_1_in_4_us_auto_accidents_are_caused_by/

I agree. Many, many years ago, in a land far, far away...there was a 16 year old who, on her birthday, got her own car to drive, a way to celebrate her birthday and her ascension into adulthood. Driving around town, she fumbled with the cassette tape(see, I told you it was long ago!), dropping it on the floor of the car. Reaching to get the cassette, she looked down and reached for it, unknowingly turning the steering wheel in the process. The guy walking at the side of the road never knew what hit him. Sadly, a true story.

I'm guessing a few SR teammates went to bat for him, telling coaches he doesn't have a problem with drinking. Likely a 1 time error in judgment, and he got caught.

Most college students drink. Unfortunately, he got caught.

mtgrizrule said:
I'm guessing a few SR teammates went to bat for him, telling coaches he doesn't have a problem with drinking. Likely a 1 time error in judgment, and he got caught.

Most college students drink. Unfortunately, he got caught.

That's awesome to hear and indicative of a healthy team dynamic.

With all the 'Clouseau's' on this board, AND the University 'investigating' the matter, it's strange that WHO bought the alcoholic beverage(s) is still unknown, at least to us common folk. Dick was banished twice as long as the scat coaches(who STILL haven't had their cases 'adjuducated').

3-7-77 said:
With all the 'Clouseau's' on this board, AND the University 'investigating' the matter, it's strange that WHO bought the alcoholic beverage(s) is still unknown, at least to us common folk. Dick was banished twice as long as the scat coaches(who STILL haven't had their cases 'adjuducated').

Chances are, he doesn't know who bought the alcohol.
Plus, most college kids don't give up their buyers.
I doubt local authorities are that concerned about it in a college town.

Did I miss somewhere that it was factually stated he was drinking? BAC report or anything? Could have just been pulled over for something harmless and got popped with weed - DUI doesn’t necessarily mean drinking.

Back