• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BOWLS

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:
Well if you know it…

But all that money did (if it existed at all) was build infrastructure UM already HAS.

Everything else has come because the FBS prints money.

Yep, it is all figured out. They just need the MWC to come begging them and brother to join.

Yes! We get that. But that’s a COMPLETELY different argument than we should not move to FBS if the opportunity exists, is it not?

I mean, I’m probably not going to be asked by Mila Kunis to spend the weekend with her. But I’m DAMN sure not going to say no if it happens.

:dead:

If I had a nickel for every Move up vs Don’t Move Up post on eGriz the last 15 years I’d be a couple hundred dollars richer probably. Carry on.

RainierGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I like how you cherry pick one of the three worst MWC teams to make your point, rather than focus on the rest who are all objectively much much better.

Cherry picking, yes. Is it not relevant though? I just don’t buy the “way better atmosphere argument”. We aren’t particularly lacking in that department.

I’m talking about the other teams. When our team travels they play in high school stadiums In front of 2-3k fans against teams who don’t exactly drum up excitement to watch. Our home atmosphere is lights out. Now imagine getting to go to other venues week in and week out against teams that also have rabid fans, and also have awesome gameday atmospheres. It would be so much fun. I’m so jealous of JMU. They get to play coastal Carolina, Marshall, app state, Georgia southern, Georgia state, Louisiana….etc every year. All of those games are exciting. That conference is going to be fun for them. I think the MWC would be a hell of a lot of fun for us if we would ever lobby ourselves into an invite.

RainierGriz said:
But the reality is the Mountain West Conference Champ, San Diego St, fought tooth and nail to go 11-2. How were they rewarded? The Miami Beach bowl, against UTSA. I just feel a team deserves more than that. Those athletes put their lives into it and I feel they deserve to know exactly where they stack up. And for that reason, I f’ing love playoffs :lol:

SDSU lost their conference championship game. If they won, they probably would have been rewarded with a more prestigous bowl. If they went undefeated all season, they would have been in the conversation for a NY6 Bowl. If/when there is a 12 team CFB playoff, they would have been in that.

Also. you do realise that the bowl that they got invited to is the Frisco Bowl, played in the very same stadium that the FCS NC game is going to be, right? :lol:

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
RainierGriz said:
Cherry picking, yes. Is it not relevant though? I just don’t buy the “way better atmosphere argument”. We aren’t particularly lacking in that department.

I’m talking about the other teams. When our team travels they play in high school stadiums In front of 2-3k fans against teams who don’t exactly drum up excitement to watch. Our home atmosphere is lights out. Now imagine getting to go to other venues week in and week out against teams that also have rabid fans, and also have awesome gameday atmospheres. It would be so much fun. I’m so jealous of JMU. They get to play coastal Carolina, Marshall, app state, Georgia southern, Georgia state, Louisiana….etc every year. All of those games are exciting. That conference is going to be fun for them. I think the MWC would be a hell of a lot of fun for us if we would ever lobby ourselves into an invite.

Yeah we disagree on this, and I can only respect that. I could pull up piles of empty Marshall, Georgia Southern, Wyoming, Colorado State stadium photos. Hell, there’s plenty of Power 5 schools that have really lame crowds on a regular basis.

Another consideration is the the number of kids from Montana on the team would likely drop. That’s just a sacrifice of moving up and needing to make sure your talent levels are as high as they can be. Having 50+ Montana boys on a roster is one of my favorite aspects of the team.

RainierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
But they really don’t do they RG? I mean, using your reasoning, a team you just made fun of, say UMass, also competes for a national football title. If they were good enough, they’d get into the mix.

I hear your point. I feel it’s a bit apples and oranges, but I do hear you. Move up/move down conversations are a rarity in basketball because all fans want is chance to be the next Loyala-Chicago. All you have to do is win your conference and you have a shot to be that team. If that was the format for FBS, then I’d be all for it! But the reality is the Mountain West Conference Champ, San Diego St, fought tooth and nail to go 11-2. How were they rewarded? The Miami Beach bowl, against UTSA. I just feel a team deserves more than that. Those athletes put their lives into it and I feel they deserve to know exactly where they stack up. And for that reason, I f’ing love playoffs :lol:

The Mountain West champ isn't San Diego State it is Utah State. Utah State beat San Diego State 46-13 in the MWC Championship game this past Saturday. USU is playing Oregon State in the LA Bowl at Sofi Stadium. Btw, New Mexico State is not in the MWC.

The current G5 FBS is going to be the new de facto FCS. Current FCS the new de fact D2 and so on. G5 will probably be relegated to a playoff of their own soon. My thought is to remain at the second highest level the current FCS will need to move to FBS G5.

Utah State to me proves that UM could be successful. UM bigger town, not a Mormon town, no BYU or Utah to compete with, direct flights into Missoula. UM and Missoula has many advantages over Logan and USU and we do it.

RainierGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

Yeah we disagree on this, and I can only respect that. I could pull up piles of empty Marshall, Georgia Southern, Wyoming, Colorado State stadium photos. Hell, there’s plenty of Power 5 schools that have really lame crowds on a regular basis.

Another consideration is the the number of kids from Montana on the team would likely drop. That’s just a sacrifice of moving up and needing to make sure your talent levels are as high as they can be. Having 50+ Montana boys on a roster is one of my favorite aspects of the team.

Why are you so sure of that? I think Montana boys can and would still play at the MWC level.

NavyBlue said:
RainierGriz said:
I hear your point. I feel it’s a bit apples and oranges, but I do hear you. Move up/move down conversations are a rarity in basketball because all fans want is chance to be the next Loyala-Chicago. All you have to do is win your conference and you have a shot to be that team. If that was the format for FBS, then I’d be all for it! But the reality is the Mountain West Conference Champ, San Diego St, fought tooth and nail to go 11-2. How were they rewarded? The Miami Beach bowl, against UTSA. I just feel a team deserves more than that. Those athletes put their lives into it and I feel they deserve to know exactly where they stack up. And for that reason, I f’ing love playoffs :lol:

The Mountain West champ isn't San Diego State it is Utah State. Utah State beat San Diego State 46-13 in the MWC Championship game this past Saturday. USU is playing Oregon State in the LA Bowl at Sofi Stadium. Btw, New Mexico State is not in the MWC.

The current G5 FBS is going to be the new de facto FCS. Current FCS the new de fact D2 and so on. G5 will probably be relegated to a playoff of their own soon. My thought is to remain at the second highest level the current FCS will need to move to FBS G5.

Ha thank you! Sorry for that and congrats on the conf. chipper! I agree with you in the structuring. My opinion is primarily regarding the playoff format and I really don’t want to leave it. I seem to be among the minority on this so probably time for me to wrap up my responses on this thread :lol:

If you are going to point out New Mexico St for playing s crappy team at an FBS schedule then point out if we play FCS we get to play Tarleton St or what ever there name is. All I am trying to say I would love to play teams from the MWC, Sunbelt, Pac 12, or Big 10 teams. We will never get a sniff of getting any of those team to play at WA Griz and we most likely never play a mid major. Because they will not pay us what we make at home. Hell they won't even think about a home for home.

Yes we get to play in a true playoff but in 10 to 20 yrs from now. Are we be play montana tech or central wa or Fort Lewis in the playoffs.

Gotta move forward in planning and aspersions. If we stay then we are moving backwards as a football program. Yes I know we have no place to go but I believe we should be trying to find a way. Maybe teaming up with ND St. SD St. MT St, and chat with Conference USA. Make a northern division. Just spit balling an idea but it is an idea to move forward as a program

RainierGriz said:
NavyBlue said:

Ha thank you! Sorry for that and congrats on the conf. chipper! I agree with you in the structuring. My opinion is primarily regarding the playoff format and I really don’t want to leave it. I seem to be among the minority on this so probably time for me to wrap up my responses on this thread :lol:

NavyBlue said:
RainierGriz said:

Why are you so sure of that? I think Montana boys can and would still play at the MWC level.

I’m not sure of that! Montana produces great athletes but I don’t know about being able to maintain the numbers that we have. There would only be one way to know for sure.

flowtowngriz said:
If you are going to point out New Mexico St for playing s crappy team at an FBS schedule then point out if we play FCS we get to play Tarleton St or what ever there name is. All I am trying to say I would love to play teams from the MWC, Sunbelt, Pac 12, or Big 10 teams. We will never get a sniff of getting any of those team to play at WA Griz and we most likely never play a mid major. Because they will not pay us what we make at home. Hell they won't even think about a home for home.

Yes we get to play in a true playoff but in 10 to 20 yrs from now. Are we be play montana tech or central wa or Fort Lewis in the playoffs.

Gotta move forward in planning and aspersions. If we stay then we are moving backwards as a football program. Yes I know we have no place to go but I believe we should be trying to find a way. Maybe teaming up with ND St. SD St. MT St, and chat with Conference USA. Make a northern division. Just spit balling an idea but it is an idea to move forward as a program

Agreed. We’ve got to move on already. It’s really only a matter of time until central Washington moves up. Hell they’ll probably get a god damned invite to the big sky. I just can’t stand the idea that all of our old rivals and peers are moving on while we continue to spin our wheels not progressing as a program. We’ve got the facilities, fan support, etc…..we need to harness the momentum of athletic and facilities successes, build on academic successes, and move into a conference full of peer institutions. Both of the Montana schools would be better off going FBS

There are always a million reasons not to do something. Lame crowds in the G5? Fuck that. They aren’t Montana. A few other programs failed? Sucks for them. They aren’t Montana. Successful G5 programs have no shot at contending someday in an ever-changing landscape? Bullshit. They. Aren’t. Montana. Might not happen within 5-10-20 years, but I’m not into sheltering in place. UM fills the stadium for shitty FCS and DII opponents all the time. We have one of the best fan bases in CFB. We have facilities that eclipse a lot of G5 teams right this second. I view our perceived weaknesses (remoteness, population, etc.) as strengths. Best show in a vastly growing state. You build the program, and build upon that in perpetuity.

Thanks for listening to my TED Talk.

CDAGRIZ said:
There are always a million reasons not to do something. Lame crowds in the G5? [#]f### that. They aren’t Montana. A few other programs failed? Sucks for them. They aren’t Montana. Successful G5 programs have no shot at contending someday in an ever-changing landscape? Bullshit. They. Aren’t. Montana. Might not happen within 5-10-20 years, but I’m not into sheltering in place. UM fills the stadium for shitty FCS and DII opponents all the time. We have one of the best fan bases in CFB. We have facilities that eclipse a lot of G5 teams right this second. I view our perceived weaknesses (remoteness, population, etc.) as strengths. Best show in a vastly growing state. You build the program, and build upon that in perpetuity.

:clap: :werd:

CDAGRIZ said:
There are always a million reasons not to do something. Lame crowds in the G5? [#]f### that. They aren’t Montana. A few other programs failed? Sucks for them. They aren’t Montana. Successful G5 programs have no shot at contending someday in an ever-changing landscape? Bullshit. They. Aren’t. Montana. Might not happen within 5-10-20 years, but I’m not into sheltering in place. UM fills the stadium for shitty FCS and DII opponents all the time. We have one of the best fan bases in CFB. We have facilities that eclipse a lot of G5 teams right this second. I view our perceived weaknesses (remoteness, population, etc.) as strengths. Best show in a vastly growing state. You build the program, and build upon that in perpetuity.

:clap:

CDAGRIZ said:

I like the points you make. No doubt could we succeed at the next level. Montana is definitely another level when it comes to community support. I just hate the bowl system with the burning of a thousand suns. Go to the social media pages of the G5 schools that got into bowl game at 6-5. And check out their bowl game announcement post. Wyoming for example... the comments show the fans could give a flying f****. I just don’t ever want that to be Montana. These are just my opinions/concerns. But hey, scared money doesn’t make money!

RainierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

I like the points you make. No doubt could we succeed at the next level. Montana is definitely another level when it comes to community support. I just hate the bowl system with the burning of a thousand suns. Go to the social media pages of the G5 schools that got into bowl game at 6-5. And check out their bowl game announcement post. Wyoming for example... the comments show the fans could give a flying f****. I just don’t ever want that to be Montana. These are just my opinions/concerns. But hey, scared money doesn’t make money!

Yes. There are too many bowl games.

But a 6-5 team made the fcs playoffs. Just saying….

CDAGRIZ said:

Excellent post!

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Yep, it is all figured out. They just need the MWC to come begging them and brother to join.

Yes! We get that. But that’s a COMPLETELY different argument than we should not move to FBS if the opportunity exists, is it not?

I mean, I’m probably not going to be asked by Mila Kunis to spend the weekend with her. But I’m DAMN sure not going to say no if it happens.

Are you sure ? Bring the D.O.

Back