• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

BOWLS

fanofzoo said:
EverettGriz said:
Same place it does for every FBS program.

I assume that all of you who say playing for a national championship is the only goal fully support the GRIZ and Lady Griz BB teams dropping down to DII, right?

Did you factor in the "idaho" didn't work numbers?

Sorry unless you and your buddies pony up about 100 VERY large

I love how everyone points to the ONE example of failure for teams that move to the FBS, but fail to highlight 99% of the successes, particularly when one of the top bsc and fcs programs had to conduct a study about moving down.

It's also remarkable and embarrassing to me that so few GRIZ fans think we'd be no more successful than Idaho. Why can't we be a Boise? Or an App State?

EverettGriz said:
fanofzoo said:

I love how everyone points to the ONE example of failure for teams that move to the FBS, but fail to highlight 99% of the successes, particularly when one of the top bsc and fcs programs had to conduct a study about moving down.

It's also remarkable and embarrassing to me that so few GRIZ fans think we'd be no more successful than Idaho. Why can't we be a Boise? Or an App State?

My two reasons are timing and geography. UM missed the ship by waiting and not moving sooner like Boise and Nevada. And geographically, they don't have the number of conferences and other similar schools as do schools like App St, Coastal Carolina, etc. There just aren't the avenues to be successful currently, and probably not even in the near future.

EverettGriz said:
fanofzoo said:

Or a UMASS! Or an Old Dominion! Errr... wait...

EverettGriz said:
RainierGriz said:
I don’t think I’m understanding your basketball example. Can you elaborate?

The GRIZ and LG will never have any more of a shot at a national basketball title than the GRIZ FB team would if it moved to the FBS. Yet I've never met anyone who wants to move down to DII to have a chance to do so. If it's preferable in BB to play at the highest level with no chance of a title, why isn't it in football?

Because we like REAL Football, not participation trophy "popularity" contests. Why doesn't Louisiana deserve a shot at the NC like Alabama, who both have 12-1 records? Alabama didn't play anybody relative to their appointed rank until the last game against Georgia.

With a perfect record, the Griz would be ranked 25th because nobody knows where the F Montana is, much less how to pronounce Missoula.

Cuervohola said:
EverettGriz said:
The GRIZ and LG will never have any more of a shot at a national basketball title than the GRIZ FB team would if it moved to the FBS. Yet I've never met anyone who wants to move down to DII to have a chance to do so. If it's preferable in BB to play at the highest level with no chance of a title, why isn't it in football?

Because we like REAL Football, not participation trophy "popularity" contests. Why doesn't Louisiana deserve a shot at the NC like Alabama, who both have 12-1 records? Alabama didn't play anybody relative to their appointed rank until the last game against Georgia.

With a perfect record, the Griz would be ranked 25th because nobody knows where the F Montana is, much less how to pronounce Missoula.

All well and good, but it did absolutely nothing to answer my question about why you wouldn’t support a move to DII for BB. If it’s only about national championships our BB teams must move down.

I’ll make two points in regard to the question. 1 - there will most likely be a split in the next 5-15 years where the P5 breaks away to do there own thing. The question is no longer if but when. A move up now would better position us to be in that second tier of D1 rather than the third tier D1 with the little sisters of the poor.

2 - for me I would rather watch good games week in and week out vs good competition. I am tired of the big sky. I want to watch UM play Utah state, Nevada, Colorado state, San Diego state, boise state etc…..week in and week out. The atmosphere at those games is just so much more fun. I lived in Laramie for years and had the opportunity to experience what life was like on the other side. It’s much more fun going into each game knowing it’s going to be a highly competitive dog fight most weeks.

EverettGriz said:
Cuervohola said:

All well and good, but it did absolutely nothing to answer my question about why you wouldn’t support a move to DII for BB. If it’s only about national championships our BB teams must move down.

What about Tennis, Golf and Volleyball while you're talking about that which has nothing to do with the topic?

Cuervohola said:
EverettGriz said:

What about Tennis, Golf and Volleyball while you're talking about that which has nothing to do with the topic?

Same, of course, if it truly is all about winning national championships. .

EverettGriz said:
Cuervohola said:

Well... MBB is frequently in the National Championship Tourney and WBB looks to be well on their way this year. Not saying their going to win the natty but they do in fact get to compete for it.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
I’ll make two points in regard to the question. 1 - there will most likely be a split in the next 5-15 years where the P5 breaks away to do there own thing. The question is no longer if but when. A move up now would better position us to be in that second tier of D1 rather than the third tier D1 with the little sisters of the poor.

2 - for me I would rather watch good games week in and week out vs good competition. I am tired of the big sky. I want to watch UM play Utah state, Nevada, Colorado state, San Diego state, noisier state etc…..week in and week out. The atmosphere at those games is just so much more fun. I lived in Laramie for years and had the opportunity to experience what life was like on the other side. It’s much more fun going into each game knowing it’s going to be a highly competitive dog fight most weeks.

Hmm... been to every Griz game this year and the atmosphere was excellent at each one. But you’re right, atmosphere would be way better with 2-6 New Mexico State in town.

Basketball would be the biggest beneficiary of a move up. Instantly have more credibility with recruiting and opponents (depending on conference). Getting $1MM or more for OOC Football games (look at Idaho's payout from Indiana this year). Sad thing is that most bowls cost schools money, not the other way around.

I think the playoff will expand to 8 but the pie needs to expand to make it financially doable. I don't think the P5 conferences will want to share the $$$

RainierGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Well... MBB is frequently in the National Championship Tourney and WBB looks to be well on their way this year. Not saying their going to win the natty but they do in fact get to compete for it.

But they really don’t do they RG? I mean, using your reasoning, a team you just made fun of, say UMass, also competes for a national football title. If they were good enough, they’d get into the mix.

EverettGriz said:
RainierGriz said:

But they really don’t do they RG? I mean, using your reasoning, a team you just made fun of, say UMass, also competes for a national football title. If they were good enough, they’d get into the mix.

I hear your point. I feel it’s a bit apples and oranges, but I do hear you. Move up/move down conversations are a rarity in basketball because all fans want is chance to be the next Loyala-Chicago. All you have to do is win your conference and you have a shot to be that team. If that was the format for FBS, then I’d be all for it! But the reality is the Mountain West Conference Champ, San Diego St, fought tooth and nail to go 11-2. How were they rewarded? The Miami Beach bowl, against UTSA. I just feel a team deserves more than that. Those athletes put their lives into it and I feel they deserve to know exactly where they stack up. And for that reason, I f’ing love playoffs :lol:

EverettGriz said:
fanofzoo said:

$$$$$$$$$$

fanofzoo said:
EverettGriz said:

$$$$$$$$$$

Neither Boise nor App had more money than UM has now. The big money came later, AFTER they became FBS.

Beyond that, UM currently has vastly superior infrastructure than either of those programs did when they made the move.

EverettGriz said:
fanofzoo said:
$$$$$$$$$$

Neither Boise nor App had more money than UM has now. The big money came later, AFTER they became FBS.

Beyond that, UM currently has vastly superior infrastructure than either of those programs did when they made the move.

I know for a fact that Boise had several very large. local corporate sponsors lined up that allowed it to tap a cash flow that would exceed what UM could generate.

RainierGriz said:
hm.grwn.grizfan said:

2 - for me I would rather watch good games week in and week out vs good competition. I am tired of the big sky. I want to watch UM play Utah state, Nevada, Colorado state, San Diego state, noisier state etc…..week in and week out. The atmosphere at those games is just so much more fun. I lived in Laramie for years and had the opportunity to experience what life was like on the other side. It’s much more fun going into each game knowing it’s going to be a highly competitive dog fight most weeks.

Hmm... been to every Griz game this year and the atmosphere was excellent at each one. But you’re right, atmosphere would be way better with 2-6 New Mexico State in town.

I like how you cherry pick one of the three worst MWC teams to make your point, rather than focus on the rest who are all objectively much much better.

HelenaHandBasket said:
EverettGriz said:

I know for a fact that Boise had several very large. local corporate sponsors lined up that allowed it to tap a cash flow that would exceed what UM could generate.

Well if you know it…

But all that money did (if it existed at all) was build infrastructure UM already HAS.

Everything else has come because the FBS prints money.

hm.grwn.grizfan said:
RainierGriz said:

I like how you cherry pick one of the three worst MWC teams to make your point, rather than focus on the rest who are all objectively much much better.

Cherry picking, yes. Is it not relevant though? I just don’t buy the “way better atmosphere argument”. We aren’t particularly lacking in that department.

EverettGriz said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Well if you know it…

But all that money did (if it existed at all) was build infrastructure UM already HAS.

Everything else has come because the FBS prints money.

Yep, it is all figured out. They just need the MWC to come begging them and brother to join.

Back