• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bills would allow Montana college athletes to profit from name and likeness, allow colleges to serve alcohol at games

GrizLA said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Obviously but both are important very different reasons.

When you live much of your life in Montana, then move away for years and go back, the amount consumed and importance of alcohol is really eye opening. Montana seems to depend upon alcohol far more than most Americans. This is a bill I would not support especially with an open carry law with guns...

The lesson here is never move away...It's been a hard lesson for me.

SoldierGriz said:
SaskGriz said:
I imagine that it will be found that a numbered jersey without a name on it will be exempt from any of this monetisation. If it wasn't Kraig Paulson is entitled to some money for everybody wearing a 37 jersey. (I'm wearing one right now as I proctor a Psychology exam)

Why? The #37 is well known as part of the foundation of Griz Football.

I can assure you the #12 from Texas A&M is going to make a haul....

Wait a minute. So #37's money goes back into the pot ? What about the person wearing it, they get zip, nada , nothing. What kind of system is that called, all glory and no money, thought you all were fighting against that.
I hope I am wrong on all this but I can't see this ending well.

fanofzoo said:
SoldierGriz said:
Why? The #37 is well known as part of the foundation of Griz Football.

I can assure you the #12 from Texas A&M is going to make a haul....

Wait a minute. So #37's money goes back into the pot ? What about the person wearing it, they get zip, nada , nothing. What kind of system is that called, all glory and no money, thought you all were fighting against that.

No, #37 keeps his money. There is no pot. Get what you earn.

GrizLA said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Obviously but both are important very different reasons.

When you live much of your life in Montana, then move away for years and go back, the amount consumed and importance of alcohol is really eye opening. Montana seems to depend upon alcohol far more than most Americans. This is a bill I would not support especially with an open carry law with guns...
So you are more comfortable with stampedes in and out of the stadium at halftime, blasting down a few at a tailgate rather than having a comfortable beer in the stadium? Not to mention the conflicts they cause along the way with their disruptions to the fans that stay put. Not a surprising LA opinion.

fanofzoo said:
... Wait a minute. So #37's money goes back into the pot ? What about the person wearing it, they get zip, nada , nothing. What kind of system is that called, all glory and no money, thought you all were fighting against that.
Can't believe how this "sharing the money" sub-topic has blown up so much. In my original post that seems to have started all this, I simply said that there was a concern about "How do you equitably share that revenue ... ?" I gleaned that from various earlier articles about the whole NIL issue. However, to my knowledge, no one close to these discussions (in the NCAA, the relevant committees, or whatever) has said there would, or had to be, some kind of revenue sharing. Right now, they're most concerned with the basic idea ... whether or not they will even allow a student athlete to profit from sales of his/her NIL.

My personal opinions are:
(1) NIL sales are going to happen, we just have no idea how the policy might be implemented.
(2) Some form of "revenue sharing" will also be set up. Again, my personal opinion. Most likely, there will be some "formula" ... the athlete gets the largest share (maybe half or three-quarters, based on just gear sales vs a personal appearance), the school will get a cut (cannot imagine them not taking a piece), and the rest goes into a common pot to be split among the athlete's teammates.

IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
... Wait a minute. So #37's money goes back into the pot ? What about the person wearing it, they get zip, nada , nothing. What kind of system is that called, all glory and no money, thought you all were fighting against that.
Can't believe how this "sharing the money" sub-topic has blown up so much. In my original post that seems to have started all this, I simply said that there was a concern about "How do you equitably share that revenue ... ?" I gleaned that from various earlier articles about the whole NIL issue. However, to my knowledge, no one close to these discussions (in the NCAA, the relevant committees, or whatever) has said there would, or had to be, some kind of revenue sharing. Right now, they're most concerned with the basic idea ... whether or not they will even allow a student athlete to profit from sales of his/her NIL.

(1) NIL sales are going to happen, we just have no idea how the policy might be implemented.
(2) Some form of "revenue sharing" will also be set up. Again, my personal opinion. Most likely, there will be some "formula" ... the athlete gets the largest share (maybe half or three-quarters, based on just gear sales vs a personal appearance), the school will get a cut (cannot imagine them not taking a piece), and the rest goes into a common pot to be split among the athlete's teammates.

So, you're of the mind that the school and the other players own a portion of another individual's own name, image, and likeness, is that a fair summary of your take? If so, that might be juuuuust a tad problematic.

CDAGRIZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:

So, you're of the mind that the school and the other players own a portion of another individual's own name, image, and likeness, is that a fair summary of your take? If so, that might be juuuuust a tad problematic.
Nothing so radical. I can't really formulate a definite position on item (2) until I see how they implement item (1).

My point (exclusive of a personal "position") is ... I think these are the two things that are most likely to happen. (Whether I or anyone else agrees or not.) Knowing how the NCAA (and the schools) screw things up -- and demand control whenever they can get it -- I suspect that any revenue sharing scheme they devise will be equally screwed up. Then we can bitch about that.

IdaGriz01 said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Nothing so radical. I can't really formulate a definite position on item (2) until I see how they implement item (1).

My point (exclusive of a personal "position") is ... I think these are the two things that are most likely to happen. (Whether I or anyone else agrees or not.) Knowing how the NCAA (and the schools) screw things up -- and demand control whenever they can get it -- I suspect that any revenue sharing scheme they devise will be equally screwed up. Then we can bitch about that.

That's fair. I actually agree with you. The schools and the NCAA will find a way to screw it up, but at least we're moving toward people owning their NIL.

CDAGRIZ said:
grizpsych said:
Did you ever play NCAA Football when they had the real student-athlete names?

Wait, what year did they have the real names? We always had to go edit them so they wouldn't just be the number.

I think 2007 was the last year you could unlock real players.

https://www.engadget.com/2014-02-28-ea-sports-ncaa-football-real-players.html

grizpsych said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Wait, what year did they have the real names? We always had to go edit them so they wouldn't just be the number.

I think 2007 was the last year you could unlock real players.

https://www.engadget.com/2014-02-28-ea-sports-ncaa-football-real-players.html

Ah, so it had be unlocked. Never just in the game, though.

Back