• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bills would allow Montana college athletes to profit from name and likeness, allow colleges to serve alcohol at games

fanofzoo said:
What ever money the student earns should be subtracted from their scholarship. This is going to create some bad feelings on the team, I block for you and I don't get money, wtf.
I think the premise is pretty dumb, but I'll humor you, I guess.

The lineman gets even more screwed in your scenario, since the QB might be able to actually make more than his scholarship in royalties, but the lineman likely never will. So instead of the possibility of getting some extra money, he gets nothing, all because you want to stick it to the players that can get more than him.

uofmman1122 said:
fanofzoo said:
What ever money the student earns should be subtracted from their scholarship. This is going to create some bad feelings on the team, I block for you and I don't get money, wtf.

The lineman gets even more screwed in your scenario, since the QB might be able to actually make more than his scholarship in royalties, but the lineman likely never will. So instead of the possibility of getting some extra money, he gets nothing, all because you want to stick it to the players that can get more than him.

Don't the QBs get all of the girls too.

PlayerRep said:
uofmman1122 said:

Don't the QBs get all of the girls too.
This is a good analogy, because it works for both cases. I think linemen would do just fine for themselves if given the opportunity to make money off of their likenesses, just like most of the Griz linemen I knew did more than just fine with girls while I was in school lol

fanofzoo said:
... This is going to create some bad feelings on the team, I block for you and I don't get money, wtf.
When I mentioned, in an earlier post, that a potential problem would be how to share the extra revenue, I was not making that up out of thin air. And actually, I've been surprised that the notion seemed to evoke such a strong response. But it's been part of the discussion for quite a long time ... and that included the potential for bad feelings within the team. And do not compare it to a professional setting. If a lineman thinks he's underpaid ... well, that's why he has an agent. I do not ever see student-athletes suddenly being considered "employees" of the university.

IdaGriz01 said:
fanofzoo said:
... This is going to create some bad feelings on the team, I block for you and I don't get money, wtf.
When I mentioned, in an earlier post, that a potential problem would be how to share the extra revenue, I was not making that up out of thin air. And actually, I've been surprised that the notion seemed to evoke such a strong response. But it's been part of the discussion for quite a long time ... and that included the potential for bad feelings within the team. And do not compare it to a professional setting. If a lineman thinks he's underpaid ... well, that's why he has an agent. I do not ever see student-athletes suddenly being considered "employees" of the university.

The good news for the lineman is that he can go get his own money off NIL. As much as he wants.

CDAGRIZ said:
IdaGriz01 said:

The good news for the lineman is that he can go get his own money off NIL. As much as he wants.

Ya but their point is that nobody wants to pay lineman any extra money so they’re gonna need to ride on the coattails of the qb, getting all his sloppy seconds. That might cause a lot of animosity from the qb, having to share his sloppy seconds.

uofmman1122 said:
fanofzoo said:

Linemen under scholarship won't get much if any additional money for name recognition, nobody really knows who they are but the running back will. How am I sticking it to the lineman, the guy who does the work but doesn't get the credit. So a few players get extra money and how does this not cause hard feelings.
I thought there was no "I" in team .

Restaurant staff split their tips.

fanofzoo said:
uofmman1122 said:

Linemen under scholarship won't get much if any additional money for name recognition, nobody really knows who they are but the running back will. How am I sticking it to the lineman, the guy who does the work but doesn't get the credit. So a few players get extra money and how does this not cause hard feelings.

Let's say you have an All-American QB and Center. Regardless of the system, the QB can make $100,000 in likeness revenue, while I'll be conservative and say the Center might make $5,000.

Under your system, the QB has $40k taken from his scholarship, but nets $60k.
The Center has $5k taken from his scholarship and nets $0.

But somehow, this system will cause less hard feelings than the system where the QB makes $100k, and the Center also nets $5k?

If you want to advocate for a "splitting the tips" style system, then do that. Your "let's take it from their scholarship" system just makes it worse.

uofmman1122 said:
fanofzoo said:

Let's say you have an All-American QB and Center. Regardless of the system, the QB can make $100,000 in likeness revenue, while I'll be conservative and say the Center might make $5,000.

But somehow, this system will cause less hard feelings than the system where the QB makes $100k, and the Center also nets $5k?

If you want to advocate for a "splitting the tips" style system, then do that. Your "let's take it from their scholarship" system just makes it worse.
So QB gets an extra 60 and center gets 5, whoops missed my block pretty boy.

fanofzoo said:
uofmman1122 said:

I just don't see a scenario where the Center is mad because the QB got an extra $40k, even though he made $5k he otherwise would not have.

Conversely, I can totally see a scenario where the QB is pissed that his likeness generated $100k in revenue, but he only got $1,000 because we have to make sure the redshirt freshman long snapper wasn't left out.

Ok. I think everyone agrees that the kids should be able to profit from their NIL. Some think that NIL belongs to the person who has the NIL (thought that was kinda the point of this). Some think that other kids are entitled to some profits from another person’s NIL. Do I have this right?

CDAGRIZ said:
Ok. I think everyone agrees that the kids should be able to profit from their NIL. Some think that NIL belongs to the person who has the NIL (thought that was kinda the point of this). Some think that other kids are entitled to some profits from another person’s NIL. Do I have this right?
I just think we should let these kids chase their money.

Jealousy isn't gonna be an issue at a school like Montana. We don't have a Trevor Lawrence who's gonna command millions of dollars, while other players potentially get nothing.

If the players want to make a pool that gets shared, fine. Just as long as the players have the opportunity to get paid for their NIL. :thumb:

alabamagrizzly said:
kemajic said:
Separate issue.

Obviously but both are important very different reasons.

When you live much of your life in Montana, then move away for years and go back, the amount consumed and importance of alcohol is really eye opening. Montana seems to depend upon alcohol far more than most Americans. This is a bill I would not support especially with an open carry law with guns...

GrizLA said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Obviously but both are important very different reasons.

When you live much of your life in Montana, then move away for years and go back, the amount consumed and importance of alcohol is really eye opening. Montana seems to depend upon alcohol far more than most Americans. This is a bill I would not support especially with an open carry law with guns...

There's always one guy that has to piss in somebody's Wheaties! Don't be a hater! :lol:

CDAGRIZ said:

If the long snapper or corner want NIL money...they should brand themselves and earn it.

The QB or #37 owes them nothing. Zip. Nada.

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

If the long snapper or corner want NIL money...they should brand themselves and earn it.

I imagine that it will be found that a numbered jersey without a name on it will be exempt from any of this monetisation. If it wasn't Kraig Paulson is entitled to some money for everybody wearing a 37 jersey. (I'm wearing one right now as I proctor a Psychology exam)

SoldierGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

But should the QB be required to give the money back to the school, thereby completely defeating the entire purpose of any action for players' rights at all? Pretty sure I read that brilliant idea earlier in this thread somewhere.

fanofzoo said:
uofmman1122 said:

No. The center gets nothing from what the QB owns (NIL). It's not communism. And if he misses blocks because of it, then fuck him. He's not good enough to play DI football. I gotta hand it to you, though, giving the NIL money back to the school in the form of scholarship reductions is something I thought I'd never read.

CDAGRIZ said:
SoldierGriz said:

But should the QB be required to give the money back to the school, thereby completely defeating the entire purpose of any action for players' rights at all? Pretty sure I read that brilliant idea earlier in this thread somewhere.

Um....no.

SaskGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

I imagine that it will be found that a numbered jersey without a name on it will be exempt from any of this monetisation. If it wasn't Kraig Paulson is entitled to some money for everybody wearing a 37 jersey. (I'm wearing one right now as I proctor a Psychology exam)

Why? The #37 is well known as part of the foundation of Griz Football.

I can assure you the #12 from Texas A&M is going to make a haul....

Latest posts

Back