• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Bills would allow Montana college athletes to profit from name and likeness, allow colleges to serve alcohol at games

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:
I have never in my life turned down any extra money. :D I think our recruiting will suffer against other schools that DO offer, because I think they will infer that more money will be available with their school vs. us.

Ah, I think I've got it. You're saying that a kid choosing between UM and some FBS school might choose the FBS school because the name and likeness income potential could be higher at the FBS school?

Uhhh, like I said in the beginning of all this running around in circles, that’s already the case except we don’t currently have the option to offer any money. At least after the bill is passed, then we can offer everything Montana has to offer, plus a little extra cash in the kids pocket. Passing the bill is a win/win. Stephen Covey also agrees that’s a good idea.

alabamagrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Ah, I think I've got it. You're saying that a kid choosing between UM and some FBS school might choose the FBS school because the name and likeness income potential could be higher at the FBS school?

Uhhh, like I said in the beginning of all this running around in circles, that’s already the case except we don’t currently have the option to offer any money. At least after the bill is passed, then we can offer everything Montana has to offer, plus a little extra cash in the kids pocket. Passing the bill is a win/win. Stephen Covey also agrees that’s a good idea.

I'm with you. I can't see how allowing players to make extra money could possibly hurt recruiting. I wish I could understand, but I can't.

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:
I have never in my life turned down any extra money. :D I think our recruiting will suffer against other schools that DO offer, because I think they will infer that more money will be available with their school vs. us.

Yes, and maybe some other FCS schools as well.

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yes

So the difference in N/L income potential would be even greater without the bill passing. So it would help recruiting, if anything.
Not trying to be a dick, but you know this is a Montana bill and not a federal bill, right?

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

So the difference in N/L income potential would be even greater without the bill passing. So it would help recruiting, if anything.
Not trying to be a dick, but you know this is a Montana bill and not a federal bill, right?

CDAGRIZ said:
MikeyGriz said:

Yes, I am aware of this. I'm not sure why there is a percieved friction with my post. I think we agree on most everything. I just don't think this will be that big of a deal for our student athletes. If you believe it will, okay. That is your opinion and your perogitive.

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

Yes, I am aware of this. I'm not sure why there is a percieved friction with my post. I think we agree on most everything. I just don't think this will be that big of a deal for our student athletes. If you believe it will, okay. That is your opinion and your perogitive.

I think we agree on most things, too. I also don't think it will have a huge impact. I believe any impact (on recruiting) would be positive.
I was under the impression you suggested it would have a negative impact on recruiting and wondered why you thought that, that's all. :thumb:

MikeyGriz said:
CDAGRIZ said:

The friction comes from us because it sounds like you’re saying to not bother since it’s not a big deal, except for it will definitely be a big deal for some kids. It will definitely be a deal breaker for some kids who might want to come to Montana but since other schools offer money and we don’t, they won’t come. A LOT of kids grow up pay check to pay check and need extra money to survive. It seems that since your opinion is it’s not a big deal, that you obviously don’t understand those situations and might not have the most educated response to the situation. But that’s yours and my opinions and like you say, we’re all entitled to them.

alabamagrizzly said:
MikeyGriz said:

The friction comes from us because it sounds like you’re saying to not bother since it’s not a big deal, except for it will definitely be a big deal for some kids. It will definitely be a deal breaker for some kids who might want to come to Montana but since other schools offer money and we don’t, they won’t come. A LOT of kids grow up pay check to pay check and need extra money to survive. It seems that since your opinion is it’s not a big deal, that you obviously don’t understand those situations and might not have the most educated response to the situation. But that’s yours and my opinions and like you say, we’re all entitled to them.

Notre Dame also thinks it’s a big deal.

alabamagrizzly said:
alabamagrizzly said:

And you think that if it comes down to Griz vs Notre Dame, the difference will be whether we do NIL or not? :shock: Again, I never said, nor do I think, that this law should not be passed.

alabamagrizzly said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Maybe we have a semantics misunderstanding here. It's not that I don't think it's not a big deal, it's that I don't think it will amount to that much money for our student athletes.

MikeyGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Maybe we have a semantics misunderstanding here. It's not that I don't think it's not a big deal, it's that I don't think it will amount to that much money for our student athletes.

To clarify, this is why I mentioned ND https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/30945806/notre-dame-participate-new-ea-sports-college-football-game-nil-rules-finalized

They’ve announced that they won’t be in EA if EA won’t pay the kids. I also understand this is strictly a PR move for future recruits who see that ND will fight for them and their needs. I also understand that it probably won’t amount to much money for each recruit because yes, there’s 10,000+ FBS athletes and probably 10,000 more FCS athletes if all are added to EA’s game. It’s one of those cases though where “it’s the thought that counts”. I’d be willing to bet that there are definitely some kids, not most, but some that will choose one school over the other if they can make a few extra bucks at that school. If those kids are gonna help us win ball games, while still being good student/athletes, then it would be a wise move to pass the bill and give those kids one more reason to want to come to Montana.

I get that you’re not against as you say. I just don’t get why everyone wouldn’t be 100% for it and think it’s a great idea.

MikeyGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

As long as the long snapper gets some of that QB or #37 money, I will be happy.

If they are allowed to do commercials and sell merchandise with their name and likeness I see this as potentially a huge deal for recruiting. Imagine what Dave Dickenson would have made in 1994 and 1995 if he was allowed to sell his own gear and keep the profit. Imagine a recruit looking at EWU or UM If he can sell merch and be on adds he can potentially make far more money playing at UM. It will add a factor to recruiting and I think at least among FCS schools UM could have a nice advantage in getting and keeping good players.

Bobby doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who would say, "Come to Montana for all that extra chedda." I think it's an awesome bill if it passes, however I just can't see our current coaching staff using this as a recruiting tool.

Dgriz94 said:
Bobby doesn't strike me as the kind of coach who would say, "Come to Montana for all that extra chedda." I think it's an awesome bill if it passes, however I just can't see our current coaching staff using this as a recruiting tool.
All my links to recruited HS athletes have been second or third hand, usually through a bragging parent. Thus, I don't know how a recruiting visit and/or follow-up plays out. However, I assume that potential recruits get some sort of packet with information about the school, including its academic and sports programs. It would be a simple thing to include, "Under current NCAA rules, student-athletes are permitted to market their name, image, and likeness, as long as they follow specific guidelines. For further information, contact the UM Compliance Office."

Not sure how long it will take or what it will look like, but I'm convinced that this NIL thing is going to happen. Still, "control" is the name of the game for the NCAA, and the schools. If they don't assert control thru the Compliance Office, they'll most likely create a "Student-Athlete Marketing Office," or some such. And yes, they'll be wanting a cut, just as with all the fan gear sold already. Still, I see no reason why whatever new comes along can't be folded into the schools' existing marketing efforts.

BTW, it's not accurate to say that student-athletes "don't make a dime" from what's being sold now. They do "profit," even if it doesn't put money directly in their pockets. Start with their subsidized education.The scholarship may not cover full "cost of attendance," but it's more than the average student gets. Now add in a fully-equipped training facility (at most decent programs anyway), and a bevy of personal trainers ... all at no cost to the athlete. Who do you think pays for all that? At least part of it comes from TV deals and gear sales.

Independent athletes -- think most Olympic sports -- have to pay for those amenities out of their own pockets. Of course, the "pockets" could be parents or some sponsoring organization, but you get my drift. Back when I had a day job, a coworker had an ambition to compete in Olympic archery. She spent a small fortune on gear, professional training, fees for a top-level shooting range (located then in Salt Lake), and travel to meets. That's another freebie for college student-athlete, BTW: travel costs, which add up in a hurry. I don't recall her name, so I don't know if she ever achieved her ambition.

MikeyGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
Don’t forget how disheartening it might be to future recruits when there are several states that allow them to get paid but Montana still doesn’t.

I don't think the student income is going to be a major factor for Montana student athletes. In fact, it might be a disincentive in recruiting if they consider potential income at other institutions.

Did you ever play NCAA Football when they had the real student-athlete names?

grizpsych said:
MikeyGriz said:
I don't think the student income is going to be a major factor for Montana student athletes. In fact, it might be a disincentive in recruiting if they consider potential income at other institutions.

If you'd ever met me, it would be obvious I never played the game! :lol:

grizpsych said:
MikeyGriz said:

Wait, what year did they have the real names? We always had to go edit them so they wouldn't just be the number.

What ever money the student earns should be subtracted from their scholarship. This is going to create some bad feelings on the team, I block for you and I don't get money, wtf.

Back