• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

Montana State finally started to repair the roster, with an add of Chika Nduka and it is a player that Scholl and Logie were familiar with. He's a Portland transfer, from the Seattle area.

Eastern, in a shocking move, adds a tall skinny small forward to its roster. Kyman started at UCLA then to Wyoming and now is going to spend his last year in Cheney. Kyman only played in 18 games last year and had limited impact off the bench for Wyoming.

Montana is still active in recruiting:

-- Contacted Josh Uduje Coast Carolina who comitted to Utah State earlier in the week.

- Alimany Koroma, a 6'8'' power forward who averaged 10 and 4 for Cal Poly.

- Justin Amadi, 6'7'' forward from James Madison that as Junior average 4ppg and 3rpg last year.

- Dee Barnes, 6'4'' SG from Southern Utah/Mt St Marys that has one year left that averaged 5ppg last year in Cedar City.

-- Parker Braun, another Santa Clara kid, 6'10'' PF who was a starter last year and average 10ppg and 7rb.

As of today there have been 1,660 D1 players enter the portal. Nearly half of them have not committed anywhere yet. There are really good odds that teams can still fill up on transfers, if they want, and there will still be about 25% of those in the portal who will not find a scholarship at all.

That is without counting those who are leaving D11 or JCs. Just counting D1 and D11, there were over 2,500 players seeking new homes. I don't see those numbers changing much over the next few years either. This is just the world we are in right now. It really does leave a lot of high potential HS players out there. For now, it seems, the HS players are the highest risk, at least in the eyes of the P5 group.

BTW, MSU just lost another one, Colceag?? I don't think he played much. I think that leaves them with 4 returning players. Total rebuild in Bozman.

Grizfan-24 said:
Montana State finally started to repair the roster, with an add of Chika Nduka and it is a player that Scholl and Logie were familiar with. He's a Portland transfer, from the Seattle area.

Eastern, in a shocking move, adds a tall skinny small forward to its roster. Kyman started at UCLA then to Wyoming and now is going to spend his last year in Cheney. Kyman only played in 18 games last year and had limited impact off the bench for Wyoming.
I think Eastern may also be picking up a JC small forward out of SLCC. 6'5'' Andre Mulibea. Played one year at Dixie and then transferred to SLCC.

oldrunner said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I think Eastern may also be picking up a JC small forward out of SLCC. 6'5'' Andre Mulibea. Played one year at Dixie and then transferred to SLCC.

Eastern finally has a couple pickups in the Portal. Kyman could be a good player, we will see. Started his career for 3 years at UCLA so he has some talent. Eastern picked up Nic McClain from Daytona Juco as well, looks like a great athlete. Mulibea would be a good fit at EWU

MSU has picked up a 6'5'' wing player from Point Loma. 2 years of eligibility left. 12 ppg, 4 rpg. Shooting spits 51/38/73. Brian Goracke.

Most teams in the BSC are either full up or just have one or two spots left to fill. The exceptions to that are MSU, ISU, and UNCo, who have multiple positions to fill. UI and MSU have brand new coaching staffs and are somewhat late to the recruiting game for next season. Like I said before, there are still quality guys left in the market and some teams will get lucky by being late to fill their rosters, simply due to players also being desperate to find homes. It's really a gamble at this point in the process. Looking for the perfect fit is probably out of the question now.

Summer workouts will fire up in just a few short weeks. I expect that what ever is going to happen in the portal, as far as signings go, will happen by the end of May. After that, it will just be a here and there sort of thing. Teams like UI, MSU, and UNCo will be scrambling just to fill their rosters.

I have been updating my projections for next season as the portal process has been going on. As it is still incomplete, I'll wait untill mid June to put out my opinion of how each team has fared with their recruiting classes, who they lost, who is returning and how I feel they will do in the 2023/2024 season. :thumb:

UMFan12 said:
Would be an interesting plot twist

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1657937704317861894?s=20
Dillon Jones is playing for the NBA scouts for a couple of reasons. One, to see if he is ready now or if he still needs some refinement in his game. He wants the feedback. It will take the promise of a first round selection for him to stay in the draft. I don't know how likely that is to happen, but at least he is making a name for himself in the eyes of those scouts. A second round prediction won't get him out of Weber. He knows that he will have a pro career and make a bunch of money in the future anyway. If he cleans up a couple of little things in his game, the money could double or more. He has a longer range view than just next year.

If he gets that first round promise, he would be foolish not to take it. First round picks have a three year guarantee. Second round picks have 0 guarantees. He has already turned down offers over seas that would pay what a second round pick would get. He has the chance to get a lot more.

I'm not sure how this will go, but the coaches are prepared to act on any outcome.

oldrunner said:
UMFan12 said:
Would be an interesting plot twist

https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/status/1657937704317861894?s=20
Dillon Jones is playing for the NBA scouts for a couple of reasons. One, to see if he is ready now or if he still needs some refinement in his game. He wants the feedback. It will take the promise of a first round selection for him to stay in the draft. I don't know how likely that is to happen, but at least he is making a name for himself in the eyes of those scouts. A second round prediction won't get him out of Weber. He knows that he will have a pro career and make a bunch of money in the future anyway. If he cleans up a couple of little things in his game, the money could double or more. He has a longer range view than just next year.

If he gets that first round promise, he would be foolish not to take it. First round picks have a three year guarantee. Second round picks have 0 guarantees. He has already turned down offers over seas that would pay what a second round pick would get. He has the chance to get a lot more.

I'm not sure how this will go, but the coaches are prepared to act on any outcome.

I don't know why he wouldn't jump even at a second round option. Start making some money now rather than risk injury playing in the BSC and not making money at all.

PeauxRouge said:
oldrunner said:

I don't know why he wouldn't jump even at a second round option. Start making some money now rather than risk injury playing in the BSC and not making money at all.
First round is not happening. I absolutely agree, if he’s guaranteed a second round selection, he’s gone. The NBA and overseas don’t have the same allure, even if the money is the same.

UMFan12 said:
PeauxRouge said:
First round is not happening. I absolutely agree, if he’s guaranteed a second round selection, he’s gone. The NBA and overseas don’t have the same allure, even if the money is the same.
The difference is huge. A .25 million offer with no guarantees or a 4.5 million offer with the guarantee. As a second round pick you can be cut and get nothing, like I said, no guarantees. European contracts are the same for a similar level player. You can get more in both places with a better resume'.

He has already said that he will come back for his junior year under the lesser offers. He will graduate this year and that is a big deal to him and his family.

Here is the local papers article on it.
https://www.standard.net/sports/weber-state/2023/may/14/dillon-jones-nba-g-league-elite-camp-draft-combine-weber-state-basketball/

Scouts know what they’re getting with this guy. An extra year improving someone’s stock is circumstantial and largely a myth. He’s 21 now, would be 22 next year. Would again put up impressive numbers, won’t magically develop into Damian Lillard for 3. If he is guaranteed to go 2nd, you leave. That same guarantee may not be there next year. Whether or not he does it, is up to him. But from purely a career perspective, you have a chance, you leave. He will not be a 1st rounder with an extra year showing the same things he’s already shown unless there is a historically weak class around him. An nba scout seeing 21 vs 22 is a world of difference, especially in the 1st-there is exactly 1 guy older than 20-Jordan Hawkins- projected to go in the lottery, and just 2 others 21 or older in the entire first round(Murray Iowa, Jones Xavier).

For him- it’s fringe second now or fringe second a year later. For the record, I’m not sure he gets drafted this year and do think he’ll be back, but if he gets a guarantee, he should go.

UMFan12 said:
Scouts know what they’re getting with this guy. An extra year improving someone’s stock is circumstantial and largely a myth. He’s 21 now, would be 22 next year. Would again put up impressive numbers, won’t magically develop into Damian Lillard for 3. If he is guaranteed to go 2nd, you leave. That same guarantee may not be there next year. Whether or not he does it, is up to him. But from purely a career perspective, you have a chance, you leave. He will not be a 1st rounder with an extra year showing the same things he’s already shown unless there is a historically weak class around him. An nba scout seeing 21 vs 22 is a world of difference, especially in the 1st-there is exactly 1 guy older than 20-Jordan Hawkins- projected to go in the lottery, and just 2 others 21 or older in the entire first round(Murray Iowa, Jones Xavier).

For him- it’s fringe second now or fringe second a year later. For the record, I’m not sure he gets drafted this year and do think he’ll be back, but if he gets a guarantee, he should go.

Agree, If I were him and got a 2-way, I would be gone. It would give him a chance to play in the G League, be around an NBA team and maybe get some call-ups. The one thing that is interesting is that he came in with 15.5% body fat. The 2nd highest at the combine. NBA level nutrition, training and strength and fitness program would go a long ways in his development which he would get in the G League. At his age, I don't see how another year of dominating BSC competition helps him at all.

As an update:

Scholarship Players on Roster for 23-24 Season

Super Seniors (2) : - On scholarship, but don't count towards the 13.
CG: Josh Vasquez
SG: Aanen Moody

Seniors (3):
PG: Brandon Whitney
PF: Dischon Thomas
PF/C: Lalu Oke

Juniors (2) :
SG/W: Giordan Wiliams
PF: Te'Jon Sawyer

Sophomores (1):
SG/W: Jaxon Nap

Freshman (4):
PG: Chase Henderson
SG: Money Williams
PF: Zack Davidson
PF/C: Rhett Reynolds (RS)

----
Walk Ons (3)
PF/C: John Solomon (So)
PF: Caden Bateman (RS FR)
CG: Connor Dick (Fr)

Montana will have 12 scholarship players next year that includes the two super seniors and 3 walk-ons which puts the roster at the limit going into next year. The UM really does have 3 scholarships available (because Vasquez and Moodys are funded alternately), but I'd be surprised if they filled all three. Theoretically they could have a roster of 15 scholarships next year and a roster of 18, but odds are against that happening for a multitude of reasons. First you can't roster more than 15 for games, and you'd have to find three players who are candidates to redshirt. Had Kerr and Do. Thomas stayed, I would have said it would have been a foregone conclusion that of the four incoming Freshman (Davidson, Williams, Henderson and Dick), at least two would have Redshirted of the group. Now? Probably only Dick gets a redshirt and three incoming scholarship players likely play.

I think there is a distinct chance that Travis waits to see how summer drills go in June to see whether if he is going to spend he excess cache of scholarships. Odds are that he spends at least one to cover what is now a really thin PG group. Maybe Henderson is a lot more advanced and shows he can play valuable minutes as a freshman and allows Travis to pivot elsewhere. I just don't know if that'll be the case and considering how much we needed Bannan to play point forward last year was a very clear signal, I'd be surprised if we didn't use one of those remaining scholarships on a PG or Guard w/ experience playing the point to provide support. Vasquez and Moody both showed last year they are capable of handling the point in spurts but were vastly better facilitators off ball.

I think that is why we've been seeing the UM on PG/CG types in the portal in recent days. A bit of a pivot since Kerr put his name into the portal, where before that they seemed more interested wings or bigs that might allow them to red-shirt Davidson. The only way I see them use more than one is if they have a line on a clear line on upgrading depth in the post of a guy who can come in and contribute (junior/senior type w/ considerable experience).

While everyone has been focused on what is or is not happening with the new coaches at UI and MSU, and what TD is or isn't doing in the portal, EWU has been quietly putting together a solid recruiting class. They are replacing Venters and Allegri, probably the two best players on their team, which is not an easy task. I don't know if the players they are bringing in can fully replace those two, but they look to be close, at the very least. With what they had returning and what they have brought in, they will still have to be considered at the top of the BSC. Until someone knocks them off that perch, they are number one.

If Dillon Jones pulls out of the NBA draft, then Weber would have to be considered near the top as well, with everyone returning. If DJ does not return to school, then Weber's recruiting class should also be enough to keep them near the top.

UM, losing their top big man would seem to be losing a lot. However, with all of their guards and one of the better 4 men in the BSC returning, along with some serviceable big men brought in, UM also should be considered near the top.

After that, there is enough turnover of players in the BSC to make any further predictions shakey at best. Can't hardly wait!

Back