• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Transfer Tracker 2023-2024

mtgrizrule said:
Sac State?

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1651683836877500467?t=iZ8QGVou7xhqZRUREmABXg&s=19
He certainly looks the part of a Sac St player.

We got all excited about the fine transfers Sac got last year and they went 7-11 in league play and were one of the slowest teams in D1.

I think that I will hold off on the excitement for now. We will see what they do in February. My guess is more of the same.

Fri Apr 21, 2023 3:13 pm

Another commitment for Coach DP from Emil Skyttä who is a 6’4 Guard from Helsinki, Finland

Skyttä is transferring from Central Michigan of the Mid-American Conference
🇫🇮 Emil Skyttä has entered the portal, as first reported by @VerbalCommits

Athletic, bouncy and lengthy 6-4 guard. Dynamic slasher that can also pull up and pass it. Will still have 4 to play as his freshman year at Central Michigan was cut short by an injury.

@skytta_emil
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Brandon Betson....transferred to Sac St.

TULSA – Played his Junior year, averaged 26 min, 9.7 pts, 1.6 reb, 2.6 assists, 1.9 to.....started 10 games

AT CHICAGO STATE – 2021-22 (Junior) Was a second-team all-WAC selection … led the team in scoring with a 14.2 average and assists at 2.8 per game … also averaged 2.4 rebounds … shot 37 percent from 3-point range and 83.6 percent from the free throw line … started all 32 games and averaged 34.5 minutes … also led the team in three-point field goals made (79), attempted (213) and three-point field goal percentage (.371), and those totals ranked fifth, sixth and seventh, respectively, on Chicago State’s all-time single-season records list … led the team in assists 18 times during the season … named the TicketSmarter Western Athletic Conference Men’s Basketball Player of the Week for November 8-14 when he averaged 20.0 points per game on 14-of-27 shooting (.519) in two wins to open the season … opened the season with 22 points and four assists in a 77-72 win over St. Thomas … tallied a season-high 31 points in the regular season finale at Seattle … led the team in scoring 12 times, eclipsed the 20-point mark six times and had 27 double-figure scoring games … connected on at least one three-point field goal in 29 of 32 games and converted more than one in a game on 24 occasions … converted two game-winning scores on last-second, last-possession opportunities –– with time winding down in two conference games, he knocked down a pull-up jumper to beat California Baptist and connected on a driving layup to deliver one of college basketball’s biggest upsets of the season against New Mexico State

AT DAYTONA STATE – 2020-21 (Sophomore) – Started all 19 games … averaged a team-best 17.3 points … connected on 37.3 percent from 3-point range and 84 percent from the free throw line … also averaged 3.3 assists, 3.1 rebounds and 1.1 steals per game … earned first-team all-conference honors … had seven 20+-point scoring performances with a season-high 30 points in an abbreviated season.

AT SAN BERNARDINO COLLEGE – 2019-20 (Freshman) Averaged 19.5 points as a freshman … totaled 20+-points in 12 games with a season-high 45 points … connected on 45.2 percent from the field and 41.5 percent from beyond the 3-point line … earned first-team all-conference accolades.

HIGH SCHOOL – Played four seasons at Salesian College Prep … had career averages of 17 points, four assists and three rebounds … averaged 20 points his senior season … earned all-region and all-conference honors as a senior … played AAU basketball for Play Hard Play Smart (Adidas).

Along with these transfers we also signed:

Chudi Dioramma,

The Dioramma file
• A 6-foot-10, 230-pound forward from Palmers Green, London, England.
• Was born in Budapest, Hungary.
• Played each of the last two seasons of high school ball at Haringey Sixth Form in London.
• Currently averaging 26.8 points, 22.4 rebounds and 4.3 assists per game.
• The season has not concluded, but Dioramma has already been named first team all-Academy Basketball League (ABL).
• As a junior with the Hawks, he averaged 29.5 points, 18.0 rebounds and 2.0 assists per game.
• That season, he was named the ABL London Conference MVP, Under-17 ABL Player of the Year, and first team all-ABL.
• Selected to the Hoopsfix All-Star team.
• Played at St. Thomas More School in England during his first two years of high school.
• Led his teams to league championships all four years of high school.
• Has also competed in rugby, soccer, badminton and volleyball.
• Recipient of the Jack Petchy Achievement Award, which recognizes young people ages 11-25 across London and Essex who "have gone above and beyond what might be expected of them".
• In 2019, with the Haringey Hawks, he played on the U18 National Cup championship winning team. He was 14 years old at the time, and was the only member of the team that wasn't 18.
• Has competed against Jeremy Sochan (San Antonio Spurs).

Patrick quote - "We are happy to have Chudi as part of our Hornet family. His size, and strength, give us another versatile young post presence. We are very fortunate Chudi and his family decided to make Sacramento State home."

In the early signing period we also signed these 3 soon to be freshmen.....

Kris Gonzales, Mater Dei High
The Gonzalez File
• A 6-foot-3, 180-pound combo guard from Chula Vista, Calif.
• Will enter his fourth season with the varsity team at Mater Dei Catholic High School in Chula Vista.
• Has helped the team to a 56-23 overall record, 25-7 league mark and two Mesa League championships.
• A two-time first team all-league selection, and will enter his third year as a team captain.
• During his junior season, he was averaging 27.1 points per game before suffering a dislocated finger. After the injury, he averaged 15.3 points the rest of the season.
• As a sophomore, Gonzalez averaged 21.9 points per game.
• During his freshman season (2019-20) with the varsity team, he averaged 8.0 points per contest.
• Scored a career-high 41 points in a win over Hilltop High School as a sophomore.
• Played each of the last two years for the Oakland Soldiers, one of the top AAU programs in the country.
• Was a starter this past summer for the Soldiers' EYBL team.
• Parents, Kenny Gonzalez and Monique Lewis, have both served in the Navy.

Patrick quote - "We are excited to add California native Kris Gonzalez to our program. He is a big combo guard who can defend multiple positions and really shoot the basketball. We are thankful he chose to stay in his home state, and that his family trusted us with his academic and athletic career. His success on the EYBL circuit will bode well for him entering his freshman year."

Bowyn Beatty,
The Beatty File
• A 7-foot, 220-pound center from Canberra, Australia. Name is pronounced Bo-win Bee-dee.
• Has played for the NBA Global Academy/Centre of Excellence - an elite basketball training center in Canberra, Australia - since July of 2021.
• He will join Kiir Kiir Chol Deng as two Hornets to have played for the NBA Global Academy in Australia.
• The NBA Global Academy is the NBA's hub for top players outside the United States.
• In July, Beatty traveled with the team to participate in the NBA Academy Games in Atlanta where they finished as the tournament runner-up.
• In the semifinals, he had 10 points, eight rebounds and two assists to help NBA Global Academy reach the title game.
• Has played for the Australian Junior National Team since 2019 when he was a 15-year old.
• Won a bronze medal with Basketball ACT at the U18 Australian National Championships in 2021.
• Mother, Tracey Peacock, played 17 years of pro ball in the WNBL of Australia where she won five championships. She is currently third in league history in blocks (444) and 10th in games (347). Also played 80 games for the national team.

Patrick quote - "Bowyn gives us immediate size and skill at the center and forward positions. At 7-feet tall, he can play inside and out, and has the ability to guard multiple positions on the floor. Bowyn is an exceptional passer and has a high basketball IQ. His training at the NBA Global Academy has readied him to make an immediate impact on and off the floor. We are thrilled he chose our Sacramento State basketball family over many suitors."

Bailey Nunn,

The Nunn File
• A 6-foot, 160-pound point guard from Melbourne, Australia.
• Played pro ball this past summer for the Knox Raiders of the Australian NBL1 South League.
• In 18 games, he averaged 6.4 points and 16.2 minutes per game. Shot 40% from the 3-point line.
• Played for Victoria at the U20 Australian National Championships in April.
• A 2022 graduate of Haileybury (high school) in Melbourne.
• As a senior, he led the Bloods to a league championship and was the team captain while averaging 25.2 points and 10.1 assists per game.
• During his junior year, he averaged 21.0 points and 7.4 assists per game.
• Was a first team all-league selection each of his final two years of high school ball.
• Averaged at least 16 points every year of high school (team did not play during his sophomore year because of the pandemic).
• Brother, Brody Nunn, is currently a redshirt freshman guard at Seattle University.

Patrick quote - "We are excited at the addition of Bailey to our program. He gives us another point guard who has the ability to run a team and shoot the basketball. His experience playing at the highest level in Australia will be an asset. We are grateful Bailey and his family chose to be a part of the Sacramento State basketball family."

Olds, just what do mean "he certainly looks the part of a Sac St. player"? Do you mean he looks like Dontay Bassett, Koby McEwen or maybe JJ Overton? Please explain your statement as I'm obviously too dumb to understand what your trying to say. Maybe it's the tat that says "I Fear God" under his right bicep that bothers you? I don't know????

oldrunner said:
mtgrizrule said:
Sac State?

https://twitter.com/ThePortalReport/status/1651683836877500467?t=iZ8QGVou7xhqZRUREmABXg&s=19
He certainly looks the part of a Sac St player.

We got all excited about the fine transfers Sac got last year and they went 7-11 in league play and were one of the slowest teams in D1.

I think that I will hold off on the excitement for now. We will see what they do in February. My guess is more of the same.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You're right Olds, we went 7-11 in BSC last year and that included a 2 pt loss to WSU in Ogden, a 3 pt loss to WSU in Sac, a 3 pt loss to EWU in Cheney (we were down by 21 at half), and a 2 pt loss to UM in Missoula plus another "Beat Down" by WSU in the tourney by 6 after falling behind by 16 at half....Yep, we were the laughing stock of the BSC last year...And just for the record, your "Runnin Wildcats" averaged exactly 1.1 pts more than our "one of the slowest teams in D1".....

"
You're right Olds, we went 7-11 in BSC last year and that included a 2 pt loss to WSU in Ogden, a 3 pt loss to WSU in Sac, a 3 pt loss to EWU in Cheney (we were down by 21 at half), and a 2 pt loss to UM in Missoula plus another "Beat Down" by WSU in the tourney by 6 after falling behind by 16 at half....Yep, we were the laughing stock of the BSC last year...And just for the record, your "Runnin Wildcats" averaged exactly 1.1 pts more than our "one of the slowest teams in D1".....
"
Okay, okay, okay. You've convinced me. Sac will be a shoe in to make the final 4.

More of this! Given the dearth of info provided via other Big Sky Conference sites or forums, I really appreciate reading from fans of other Big Sky teams here on eGriz!

Oldrunner and SacStatesman are regulars whose opinions are always informative and give broader perspective to the Big Sky & college hoops overall.

Re: Sac State. Based only on my views of the Hornets this season, I would not be surprised to see them as one of the top two defensive teams in the conference next season.

P.S. I'm not certain what constitutes a "shoe in." :lol: Big feet? Cool sneakers with blinking lights? https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/shoo-in

sacstateman said:
Olds, just what do mean "he certainly looks the part of a Sac St. player"? Do you mean he looks like Dontay Bassett, Koby McEwen or maybe JJ Overton? Please explain your statement as I'm obviously too dumb to understand what your trying to say. Maybe it's the tat that says "I Fear God" under his right bicep that bothers you? I don't know????
He is wearing a Sac St jersey.

oldrunner said:
"
"
Okay, okay, okay. You've convinced me. Sac will be a shoe in to make the final 4.

Actually I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just pointing out your exaggerations, again...I never even said we were going to be good, just informing GrizzlyJournal about our team....

And I'm not buying that weak reason for your statement about Duncan....Yeah, sure...

Powell was a main rotation player for A&T, started 4 games. He averaged 8 PPG, 5.7 RPG, with shooting splits of 42/22/62. A&T was 13-17 on the year. They fired their coach and brought in a new coach. Either powell didn't like the new coach or the other way around, who knows? At any rate, I hope he does better at Sac. :thumb:

Watched Sac State probably more than any other team not name Montana or Montana State last year.

Somewhat mystified as to how they didn't place in the top three or four. They got unlucky bit, to the same degree as NAU did with how they closed games out. They were obnoxiously long and used that height (most of the time) to good accord on the defensive end. Offensively it had the feeling of an island of misfit toys and either they didn't know how to play with each other or the staff struggled in getting them to work in sync.

I do have concerns, as I did with Montana the past couple of years, how much of that roster churn impacts overall success. All of those guys they have brought in this year, on paper, look the part. Sac State is going to have six, seven or even eight new guys. That is a lot of new guys, two years in a row mixed with a ton of graduations and departures. Lots of turnover in recent years hasn't equaled success.

Grizfan-24 said:
Watched Sac State probably more than any other team not name Montana or Montana State last year.

Somewhat mystified as to how they didn't place in the top three or four. They got unlucky bit, to the same degree as NAU did with how they closed games out. They were obnoxiously long and used that height (most of the time) to good accord on the defensive end. Offensively it had the feeling of an island of misfit toys and either they didn't know how to play with each other or the staff struggled in getting them to work in sync.

I do have concerns, as I did with Montana the past couple of years, how much of that roster churn impacts overall success. All of those guys they have brought in this year, on paper, look the part. Sac State is going to have six, seven or even eight new guys. That is a lot of new guys, two years in a row mixed with a ton of graduations and departures. Lots of turnover in recent years hasn't equaled success.
I watched Sac a lot as well. Actually, I watched a whole crap load of BSC basketball last few years, damn it ESPN+. Here is what I find interesting. PSU will usually have the best athletes in the BSC, yet they always finish about the same. Sac has started to fit that same mold. ISU, NAU, and UI struggle to get a full team of D1 athletes nearly every year. MSU has been a flash in the pan the last few years and is rebuilding now. EWU must have really good coaching. They take guys who are not heavily recruited and make them competitive every year, it seems. The consitently good teams stay that way and the consistently poor teams stay that way. You can almost take a statistical average of the last 10 years, rank the teams accordingly, and be about 90% accurate in predicting the future.

Teams that under perform continue to do so, as a rule. I'll probably get attacked on this one as well. :lol:

Here is some more info on Duncan......https://hornetsports.com/news/2023/4/28/mens-basketball-forward-duncan-powell-transferring-to-sacramento-state.aspx?fbclid=IwAR0CeVH1Od9u_0kHh0dWNxXoDn_Ub6AAkCO9fBlfNaslDGyOC_oMaBp6VfI

Portland State picked up a transfer from Texas Tech. 6'6'' PF/C, Kealen Allen, who got limited play for TT. Sooting splits of 45/11/62. He looks like a very strong, athletic player who is good around the basket. He looks like a prototypical PSU player. He will be a load around the basket.

Looks like PSU may be done in the portal for now. :thumb:

Daniel Rouzan, Weber's 6'9'' reserve center has hit the portal today. He is a skilled offensive player around the basket and can probably help a lot of teams in the BSC and beyond. There are probably 6 or 7 teams in the BSC he could start on. He just wasn't going to get much play with the guys we have brought in and the two who were already ahead of him in the rotation. I think he will get a lot of offers. He is a good kid who just needs to become a man on D. :clap:

Former UCLA and Wyoming transfer to EWU

https://twitter.com/jakekyman13/status/1653966381921222657?s=46&t=_FgpKnpLgkEHDfvQTUKPmA

Back