• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Conference Mens Transfer Tracker 2021-2022

Along with Kim Aiken Jr, another frequent visitor to the portal over his career Tony Miller has entered the portal once again. The former member of the Grizzly team for a red-shirt year is on the move again for his Covid year from Washington State.

Definitely going to need a program and/or names on the jerseys to keep up with who's on your teams from year to year (possibly game to game!).

Per Verbal Commits, Sacramento State has added 2 Star PG Isaiah Lee from Sacramento State. This is the 5th player they have netted since the coaching change. He's a 2019 sophomore and likely has 3 years to play. Sacramento State is going to be a whole different animal next year.

Grizfan-24 said:
Per Verbal Commits, Sacramento State has added 2 Star PG Isaiah Lee from Sacramento State. This is the 5th player they have netted since the coaching change. He's a 2019 sophomore and likely has 3 years to play. Sacramento State is going to be a whole different animal next year.

They added a player from their own team?

AZGrizFan said:
Grizfan-24 said:

I’m a nerd. Meant UC Irvine.

Grizfan-24 said:

Actually, Lee is the 6th player in 24 days....Hunter Marks, Callum McRae, Gianni Hunt, Akol Mawein, Kiir Kiir Chol and Isaiah Lee....Not bad for 3 1/2 weeks on the job....

Grizfan-24 said:
AZGrizFan said:

I’m a nerd. Meant UC Irvine.

Not much by way of his production at UC-Irvine, but originally from Australia so you can definitely see where the coach’s background is going to be a big part of his recruiting strategy.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1521895078545039365?s=20&t=qzEzyoZbS5ZA5ZIluBzv2g
Damn, big loss for Weber. We're past the May 1st deadline, but he's a grad transfer so the rule does not apply for him.

Seikou Sisoho Jawara (Weber State) has decided to enter his name into the portal. He was a key player (either as a starter or as a sixth man type) that is one of the bigger names outside of Missoula to enter the portal this spring.

Griz til I die said:
https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/status/1521895078545039365?s=20&t=qzEzyoZbS5ZA5ZIluBzv2g
Damn, big loss for Weber. We're past the May 1st deadline, but he's a grad transfer so the rule does not apply for him.

Huge loss. I think the rule is that you had to notify the school by May 1 and the school has 2 business day to enter into the portal, so he still may have made the deadline.

I also thought the deadline applied to everyone (Grads included). My understanding was part of the reason for the deadline was to help coaches manage rosters. A few grad transfers in August could gut a roster (although I am not completely sure on this).

GrizBall said:
Griz til I die said:

Huge loss. I think the rule is that you had to notify the school by May 1 and the school has 2 business day to enter into the portal, so he still may have made the deadline.

I also thought the deadline applied to everyone (Grads included). My understanding was part of the reason for the deadline was to help coaches manage rosters. A few grad transfers in August could gut a roster (although I am not completely sure on this).
He is a good person and a good player. I wish him all the best. He has had some pro offers in Spain, has 2 years of eligibility left, and wanted to explore his options. We are bringing in some guards who are projected to cut his playing time significantly. I hope he lands in the best place for his development. :clap:

Over the past couple of days, there have been some notable pickups by Big Sky Conference foes:

The first is Keith Dinwiddie Jr. a 3 star guard who transferred from MWC power San Diego State. He was a recruit of Travis as a high schooler. Really, really big get for Weber. Dinwiddie had a limited role at SDSU this year, and left because of who SDSU had brought in at PG for next year. Really talented player in HS.

The next is Eastern Washington picking up is Tyreese Davis a 6-6 SG from Jacksonville. Averaged 8ppg and shot 42% from 3 last year. Very much in the mold of who EWU has like to recruit in recent years.

Lastly Idaho finally added someone after seeing half of their team depart in late March. Idaho picked up Divant'e Moffit from Seattle Pacific. He averaged 19.3 ppg last year for SP. He provides some scoring ability and is a 6-2 PG. He's in the same model as Idaho's two primary guards from a year ago. Heavy on shots, not the greatest 3pt shooter but has the ability to create his own offense.

https://www.montanarightnow.com/sports/montana-grizzlies/griz-basketball-chris-cobb-conversation/video_bbf8db28-cc14-11ec-a9b6-970191e76dd1.html
Interesting conversation Shaun Rainey had with Coach Cobb the other night.

Griz til I die said:
https://www.montanarightnow.com/sports/montana-grizzlies/griz-basketball-chris-cobb-conversation/video_bbf8db28-cc14-11ec-a9b6-970191e76dd1.html
Interesting conversation Shaun Rainey had with Coach Cobb the other night.

Thanks for the link. Good, transparent, honest interview with coach Cobb. As coach Cobb said:

"It's going to be goofy for awhile.... but hopefully things will stabilize at some point."

The portal—in the way it is currently designed/utilized— has absolutely ruined college sports.

I will say this from having seen all sides of this over my coaching career:

-- The portal exists because it was absolutely the right thing to do. Seen the way that Coaches have abused their power and authority over players for too long whether it be in basketball or any other sport. Players do not need to be held captive by a system, team and environment that isn't working for them.

-- The portal is like any economic driven system and right now the system is being driven by the demand or the perception that college transfers are vastly better than working the high school system for recruits. I would expect eventually the hyper activity in the portal by both players and programs to eventually even out over time.

-- Maybe coaches will have to work harder to recruit their own players and to keep them there. That unto itself isn't the worst thing, and if college coaches are going to work the portal as hard as some have, its going to alienate players who are already there. Travis isn't the easiest coach to play for and that plays a roll, because it is a message that we've heard rather consistently in recent years. Pair that with how difficult the past three years have been in Missoula for that class in particular, nothing surprises me.

Grizfan-24 said:

-- The portal exists because it was absolutely the right thing to do. Seen the way that Coaches have abused their power and authority over players for too long whether it be in basketball or any other sport. Players do not need to be held captive by a system, team and environment that isn't working for them.

-- The portal is like any economic driven system and right now the system is being driven by the demand or the perception that college transfers are vastly better than working the high school system for recruits. I would expect eventually the hyper activity in the portal by both players and programs to eventually even out over time.

-- Maybe coaches will have to work harder to recruit their own players and to keep them there. That unto itself isn't the worst thing, and if college coaches are going to work the portal as hard as some have, its going to alienate players who are already there. Travis isn't the easiest coach to play for and that plays a roll, because it is a message that we've heard rather consistently in recent years. Pair that with how difficult the past three years have been in Missoula for that class in particular, nothing surprises me.

:clap: A reasoned, very insightful perspective, GrizFan-24.

Grizfan-24 said:

That’s why I added the caveat in my post. I think there’s a place, certainly, for a portal-type feature…but the way it’s currently designed and utilized is ruining sports, IMHO.

A) We’ll have an entirely different team next year, with the exception of Bannon & Anderson, basically (Lonell Martin too, who should be at least a contributor), but that’s really about it.
B) We’ll have basically zero idea of how this team will perform/gel until halfway through conference play (understanding that many OTHER teams are in the same boat because of the musical chairs)
C) There’s no “watching players develop” anymore. For example, just when we thought DCH would have a breakout year, he blows town…now that could have been his decision, or it could have been coach’s, but I doubt DeCuire ran him out…
D) We’re going to find (I believe) less and less desire on these kids’ part to play for task-master disciplinarian coaches….the Mike Krzyzewski’s of the world and Nick Sabans of the world are a dead and dying breed, and that’s not good for the sport or sports in general.

Latest posts

Back