• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky Coaches Hot Seats

Griz til I die

DONOR
I thought it would be fun to rank the Big Sky coaches from most likely to least likely getting fired this offseason as we head into the tournament next week. 1 will be most likely and 10 will be least likely. Here we go:

1. Shane Burcar (NAU) I think his time at NAU will be over at the end of this season unless NAU goes on another miracle run to the title game, but I don’t think that will happen this year. This hire never made any sense. It was a lazy hire by NAU, and he had never had any college coaching experience. I think he’s good as gone.

2. Ryan Looney (ISU) I’d be kinda surprised if ISU moved on from Looney this season. I think all things considered, he’s done a good job at ISU. That’s easily the toughest job in the league and he’s had some decent seasons, but I do wonder if there’s some possible growing frustration that he’s yet to have a title contending team. The women’s team has proved it’s possible so if they wanna play comparisons, then I guess you could say Looney still has a lot of work to do. That said, I think he stays for at least 1 more year.

3. David Patrick (SAC) Patrick is not gonna get fired after only 2 years on the job, but his seat has gotta be getting warm. In each of his first 2 seasons, he’s had transfer portal classes that on paper had look like some of the best the Big Sky has seen in some time, and the results just haven’t been there. This year has been a complete disaster for them. One more year like this and I think some serious conversations are gonna start taking place in Sacramento.

4. Jace Coburn (PSU) after a very impressive nonconference performance from the Viks going 9-4 and notching 2 Mountain West wins and playing Wazzu to a 10 point game, PSU has been very underwhelming in conference play. PSU is one of those places where coaches are pretty much there for the long haul unless they voluntarily leave. Coburn was hired by the previous AD, so maybe the new guy is chomping at the bit to make a hire of his own, but I’d be surprised if they moved on from Coburn. He’s been decent over his 3 seasons.

5. Matt Logie (MSU) Logie is not going anywhere but I’m sensing a lot of frustration among cat fans about how this season has gone. There were many fans that were very underwhelmed by the hiring of Logie, and I’ll admit I also was surprised by the hire at the time. The one thing that I find concerning about the cats future is that IMO Robert Ford is heads and shoulders their best player, and I think that speaks to Logie’s recruiting so far that one of the few holdovers from Sprinkle’s team and nobody else appears to be close to his level. Is Logie not a good recruiter? Time will tell. Regardless, it’s his first year and he had to completely overhaul the roster so he deserves a shot and I think he could end up being good.

6. Eric Duft (WSU) Duft has been with the program a long time, but the inconsistencies from Weber this year have gotta be frustrating. I thought coming into the year there was no way that anyone but Weber would win the league when you have a player like Dillon Jones. We’ve seen moments of brilliance from Weber, but also many head scratching moments. Makes me wonder what it’s gonna be like next year when Weber doesn’t have Dillon Jones. I think it could be rough. Webers athletic department as a whole seems terrified to make an external hire in any sport. The Mickey Mental hire in Football I still think is terrible, but maybe he’ll prove me wrong. I see a lot of the same stuff with Duft. If things are ugly next year in Ogden, how much leash will he be given? This year though there’s no doubt that he will return to Weber.

7. Steve Smyley (UNC) Smyley’s seat was red hot coming into this year after completely screwing up last seasons team featuring Dalton Knecht who’s gonna be a lottery pick in the NBA draft this year, but he did a great job in the portal bringing in Saint Thomas and UNC is right in the thick of things as we head for the tourney. There’s something about this guy that I don’t like and I wonder about his future and how good he actually is, but give credit where it’s due. He did a good job getting UNC back in the upper half of the league this year.

8. Travis Decuire (UM) Decuire definitely has cooled off his seat with a 20 win season this year, and he can cool it off even more if the Griz make a run to the title game at the tourney next week, but there’s always gonna be pressure on Decuire cause that’s how Griz fans are. The Griz share a lot of the same frustrations that Weber fans have. With such a veteran team like we have this year, it’s inexcusable to drop some of the games we did this year. That said, unless the Griz have just a disastrous one and done exit from the tourney next week, Decuire has earned another year and I think there’s reason to be excited about the backcourt of Money Williams and Chase Henderson. Plus with a guy like Tyler Thompson coming in and whatever we get out of the portal (probably a guard) it could be a good season next year.

9. Alex Pribble (UI) Pribbles done a really nice job in his first season IMO. I really like this guy. A good young coach who I think has a bright future. He didn’t have much to work with when he got to the palouse, and in year 1 he’s won more games than Zac Claus ever did as head coach. Give this man some time and he’ll have the Vandy’s competitive. There’s always growing pains in year 1.

10. David Riley (EWU) there’s definitely a lot of concern that Riley may leave for a bigger job this offseason, but I think Eastern hangs onto him for at least 1 more year. That said, as long as he’s at Eastern there is no concern about him ever getting fired unless it’s for misconduct of some sort, but I can’t imagine that’d be an issue.

————————-

I very well could see a possibility where there’s not a single coaching change in the Big Sky this year. The only one that I think is truly in danger is Burcar, but it’s fun to rank these guys any way. Thoughts???

I feel like you are one year early on this thread.

It's my understanding that Looney just got a five year extension and Burcar is well respected at NAU and by other coaches. All of the other coaches in our league are either new or doing a good job with what they have. You always give a new coach a minimum of 4 years to get something built.

PSU is an interesting situation. They have serious budget problems and low support for their programs within their community. Same is true with Sac. They go out and get transfers with questionable backgrounds, do well at first and then fall apart. The falling apart may have something to do with backgrounds of the guys they bring in. It seems like the old vinyl record that keeps skipping and playing the same part over and over again. I still don't think either of those programs will fire their coaches because that has become the expected result.

Just my humble opinion. Goodness knows that my opinions usually aren't worth a crap. :p

oldrunner said:

It's my understanding that Looney just got a five year extension and Burcar is well respected at NAU and by other coaches. All of the other coaches in our league are either new or doing a good job with what they have. You always give a new coach a minimum of 4 years to get something built.

PSU is an interesting situation. They have serious budget problems and low support for their programs within their community. Same is true with Sac. They go out and get transfers with questionable backgrounds, do well at first and then fall apart. The falling apart may have something to do with backgrounds of the guys they bring in. It seems like the old vinyl record that keeps skipping and playing the same part over and over again. I still don't think either of those programs will fire their coaches because that has become the expected result.

Just my humble opinion. Goodness knows that my opinions usually aren't worth a crap. :p
I wouldn't be surprised if that's true about Looney. Like I mentioned, I think he's done a good job at ISU. I was just taking the mindset that he just hasn't quite gotten them to that next level, but he seems like a great guy and definitely has competitive teams for the lack of resources in Poky. And I don't care how well Burcar is respected, the results haven't been there. I don't think NAU has even gotten a first round bye at the tourney since he's taken over. If they keep him cause they like the person he is but don't judge his results on the court, then that's weak.

oldrunner said:

I can't let this BS go without commenting.....Oldrunner, please NAME one player on Sac States roster who has a questionable background....I'll wait....I know you can't cuz there arent any.....We play 4 freshmen a lot, start 3 of them most of the time...I'm not enamored with Patrick at this point but throwing out BS about other teams should be below you....Stick to pumping up your guys, don't shit on players from other teams that you obviously don't know a thing about.....

oldrunner said:

Glad you're always happy with your Weber guys. Are they preseason champs every year or just most?

sacstateman said:
oldrunner said:
transfers with questionable backgrounds

I can't let this BS go without commenting.....Oldrunner, please NAME one player on Sac States roster who has a questionable background....I'll wait....I know you can't cuz there arent any.....We play 4 freshmen a lot, start 3 of them most of the time...I'm not enamored with Patrick at this point but throwing out BS about other teams should be below you....Stick to pumping up your guys, don't poop on players from other teams that you obviously don't know a thing about.....
I only have second hand information and I would never call out individuals on something like that anyway. So, no names. Guys are in the transfer portal for a variety of reasons. It could be a PT issue, It could be a conflict with the coaches, it could be something outside of their sport. About 15 years ago Weber had a player wanting to transfer in from a P5 program. He was a very good player but was kicked off his team for marajuana use. We took him in with the rule of regular testing and zero tolerance. He stayed clean and everything worked out fine. However, our coach at that time said he would never do it again because he hated having to baby sit a player.

Over the last 15 years or so, I have often asked about players that I thought we should be recruiting or players who were in the portal from teams that I had some knowlege of. Many times I have been told that we looked into them and found character related issues in their past and/or previous school and chose to not recruit them. Then I see those same players landing on other BSC rosters.

I had a conversation with our coach about 6 or 7 years ago. I told him I thought we should consider bringing in some of the guys we had been passing on to upgrade the talent on our team. He just rolled his eyes and told me he would rather lose than have to deal with those elements. I was all for being a second chance place for some highly talented guys. but the coaches have to live with their choices every day. I'm all for second and third chances. I'm glad that these guys are finding programs to play in, places that will help them. However, I'm also aware that sometimes the issues that drove them into the portal can become issues once again. I suspect that as the reason for so many in the portal who don't find new teams at all.

oldrunner said:
sacstateman said:
I can't let this BS go without commenting.....Oldrunner, please NAME one player on Sac States roster who has a questionable background....I'll wait....I know you can't cuz there arent any.....We play 4 freshmen a lot, start 3 of them most of the time...I'm not enamored with Patrick at this point but throwing out BS about other teams should be below you....Stick to pumping up your guys, don't poop on players from other teams that you obviously don't know a thing about.....
I only have second hand information and I would never call out individuals on something like that anyway. So, no names. Guys are in the transfer portal for a variety of reasons. It could be a PT issue, It could be a conflict with the coaches, it could be something outside of their sport. About 15 years ago Weber had a player wanting to transfer in from a P5 program. He was a very good player but was kicked off his team for marajuana use. We took him in with the rule of regular testing and zero tolerance. He stayed clean and everything worked out fine. However, our coach at that time said he would never do it again because he hated having to baby sit a player.

Over the last 15 years or so, I have often asked about players that I thought we should be recruiting or players who were in the portal from teams that I had some knowlege of. Many times I have been told that we looked into them and found character related issues in their past and/or previous school and chose to not recruit them. Then I see those same players landing on other BSC rosters.

I had a conversation with our coach about 6 or 7 years ago. I told him I thought we should consider bringing in some of the guys we had been passing on to upgrade the talent on our team. He just rolled his eyes and told me he would rather lose than have to deal with those elements. I was all for being a second chance place for some highly talented guys. but the coaches have to live with their choices every day. I'm all for second and third chances. I'm glad that these guys are finding programs to play in, places that will help them. However, I'm also aware that sometimes the issues that drove them into the portal can become issues once again. I suspect that as the reason for so many in the portal who don't find new teams at all.

Looks like Weber has 5 or 6 transfers on their roster. Some other real good transfer players over the years. But Weber's players are so pure I believe that the Big Sky should just let them wear white for all games.

I agree with Mouse and Unc Rico on this one.....If you cant name names, don't insinuate that players on the LESS PURE teams are there because they have problems....Your superiority complex is showing....Stick to sunshine pumping Weber....PLEASE

I agree with Mouse and Unc Rico on this one.....If you cant name names, don't insinuate that players on the LESS PURE teams are there because they have problems....Your superiority complex is showing....Stick to sunshine pumping Weber....PLEASE
I disagree with this a little bit. Oldrunner is not some random poster that spews crap. Should he say a Weber coach told him that it is well known that John J. Jones is high all the time? I am confident in saying I know one player on Sac last year that fell to Sac for a reason. But I think I can say that about most teams. Some teams are just in a position where they have to take chances.

I am certainly not saying that Weber has always been lilly white on these issues. I've personally got to know every coach at Weber, since Dick Mata. Some welcomed guys with issues and worked with them to get those issues corrected. I've always thought that young men needed to have a second chance. I've never thought of it as a bad thing, just that it was a risky thing. Our current staff and the one before it have developed a zero tolerance rule and that bothers me sometimes. Like I said, I'm all for second chances. However, there are risks associated with bringing in any transfers. It may work out, it may not. To me, sometimes it's worth the risk. Our current set of coaches, not so much.

I disagree with this a little bit. Oldrunner is not some random poster that spews crap. Should he say a Weber coach told him that it is well known that John J. Jones is high all the time? I am confident in saying I know one player on Sac last year that fell to Sac for a reason. But I think I can say that about most teams. Some teams are just in a position where they have to take chances.
I am certainly not saying that Weber has always been lilly white on these issues. I've personally got to know every coach at Weber, since Dick Mata. Some welcomed guys with issues and worked with them to get those issues corrected. I've always thought that young men needed to have a second chance. I've never thought of it as a bad thing, just that it was a risky thing. Our current staff and the one before it have developed a zero tolerance rule and that bothers me sometimes. Like I said, I'm all for second chances. However, there are risks associated with bringing in any transfers. It may work out, it may not. To me, sometimes it's worth the risk. Our current set of coaches, not so much.
I appreciate your explanation but I say this...by not naming anyone in specific, you have put suspicion on the whole team...Now anyone who reads that can point at anyone on either of those teams and say they are "bad seeds" which is not even remotely fair and is how rumors are started....I say keep all your "insider knowledge" under your hat...Whatever coach told you that should keep his mouth shut about players too.....I've known Brian Katz (former head coach of Sac) for over 30 years and he never talked about any player's character to me even when I asked...That is another reason I respect him...Crap like this can smear innocent people and, because I know you a bit, I'm sure you wouldn't want to do that...Call me out when you see me do something like this as I don't want to do any unintentional harm to anyone....

Nope, I feel that naming names is worse.

Brian Katz is a very good coach. He is well respected and did things the right way. He recruited good humans, good students, and as good of players as he could get. He didn't have a lot to work with in the way of istitutional support. I also have a great deal of respect for him as a coach.

There is another risk coaches are taking when bringing in a guy who is a good human and student. That risk is that they just can't help your team. They are transfering down from a bigger program because of playing time, but you get them in just to find out they can't play for you either. They become dead wood at the end of the bench. Often, those guys are hitting the portal once again. They either end up moving down again or out of basketball all together. I feel that all BSC teams have had guys that fit that category.

The JC route has always been a factor and now the transfer portal is a big deal. Every team in our league will be diving into the transfer market and it can be good or not so good. It's risky, like all recruiting.

Nope, I feel that naming names is worse.

Brian Katz is a very good coach. He is well respected and did things the right way. He recruited good humans, good students, and as good of players as he could get. He didn't have a lot to work with in the way of istitutional support. I also have a great deal of respect for him as a coach.

There is another risk coaches are taking when bringing in a guy who is a good human and student. That risk is that they just can't help your team. They are transfering down from a bigger program because of playing time, but you get them in just to find out they can't play for you either. They become dead wood at the end of the bench. Often, those guys are hitting the portal once again. They either end up moving down again or out of basketball all together. I feel that all BSC teams have had guys that fit that category.

The JC route has always been a factor and now the transfer portal is a big deal. Every team in our league will be diving into the transfer market and it can be good or not so good. It's risky, like all recruiting.
Well, I think insinuation is worse than anything involving players character....Just keep your insinuations to yourself and I won't bitch at you....Rumors are started this way and many times rumors are false...when false, a kid has been thrown under the bus by someone who should know better....but nice dodge any way....

Whether it's soft or not, any program that thinks of firing a coach should have a good idea of who they can get as a replacement. It's not like there is a coach store that you can just stroll down the isle and pick the one you want. If you just fire a coach blindly and hope for better, you may find someone worse. Your school may get a reputation as a graveyard for coaches and then nobody wants the job.

Whether it's soft or not, any program that thinks of firing a coach should have a good idea of who they can get as a replacement. It's not like there is a coach store that you can just stroll down the aisle and pick the one you want. If you just fire a coach blindly and hope for better, you may find someone worse. Your school may get a reputation as a graveyard for coaches and then nobody wants the job.
It’d be hard to do worse than Burcar

Sac State gets the W over regular season champs and preseason champs let MSU pop for 66 in the second half......and head home early. Hope they keep this new guy for as long as they kept Rahe. Oldrunner can come back and tell us all about 'em next year!

I feel like

I thought it would be fun to rank the Big Sky coaches from most likely to least likely getting fired this offseason as we head into the tournament next week. 1 will be most likely and 10 will be least likely. Here we go:

1. Shane Burcar (NAU) I think his time at NAU will be over at the end of this season unless NAU goes on another miracle run to the title game, but I don’t think that will happen this year. This hire never made any sense. It was a lazy hire by NAU, and he had never had any college coaching experience. I think he’s good as gone.

2. Ryan Looney (ISU) I’d be kinda surprised if ISU moved on from Looney this season. I think all things considered, he’s done a good job at ISU. That’s easily the toughest job in the league and he’s had some decent seasons, but I do wonder if there’s some possible growing frustration that he’s yet to have a title contending team. The women’s team has proved it’s possible so if they wanna play comparisons, then I guess you could say Looney still has a lot of work to do. That said, I think he stays for at least 1 more year.

3. David Patrick (SAC) Patrick is not gonna get fired after only 2 years on the job, but his seat has gotta be getting warm. In each of his first 2 seasons, he’s had transfer portal classes that on paper had look like some of the best the Big Sky has seen in some time, and the results just haven’t been there. This year has been a complete disaster for them. One more year like this and I think some serious conversations are gonna start taking place in Sacramento.

4. Jace Coburn (PSU) after a very impressive nonconference performance from the Viks going 9-4 and notching 2 Mountain West wins and playing Wazzu to a 10 point game, PSU has been very underwhelming in conference play. PSU is one of those places where coaches are pretty much there for the long haul unless they voluntarily leave. Coburn was hired by the previous AD, so maybe the new guy is chomping at the bit to make a hire of his own, but I’d be surprised if they moved on from Coburn. He’s been decent over his 3 seasons.

5. Matt Logie (MSU) Logie is not going anywhere but I’m sensing a lot of frustration among cat fans about how this season has gone. There were many fans that were very underwhelmed by the hiring of Logie, and I’ll admit I also was surprised by the hire at the time. The one thing that I find concerning about the cats future is that IMO Robert Ford is heads and shoulders their best player, and I think that speaks to Logie’s recruiting so far that one of the few holdovers from Sprinkle’s team and nobody else appears to be close to his level. Is Logie not a good recruiter? Time will tell. Regardless, it’s his first year and he had to completely overhaul the roster so he deserves a shot and I think he could end up being good.

6. Eric Duft (WSU) Duft has been with the program a long time, but the inconsistencies from Weber this year have gotta be frustrating. I thought coming into the year there was no way that anyone but Weber would win the league when you have a player like Dillon Jones. We’ve seen moments of brilliance from Weber, but also many head scratching moments. Makes me wonder what it’s gonna be like next year when Weber doesn’t have Dillon Jones. I think it could be rough. Webers athletic department as a whole seems terrified to make an external hire in any sport. The Mickey Mental hire in Football I still think is terrible, but maybe he’ll prove me wrong. I see a lot of the same stuff with Duft. If things are ugly next year in Ogden, how much leash will he be given? This year though there’s no doubt that he will return to Weber.

7. Steve Smyley (UNC) Smyley’s seat was red hot coming into this year after completely screwing up last seasons team featuring Dalton Knecht who’s gonna be a lottery pick in the NBA draft this year, but he did a great job in the portal bringing in Saint Thomas and UNC is right in the thick of things as we head for the tourney. There’s something about this guy that I don’t like and I wonder about his future and how good he actually is, but give credit where it’s due. He did a good job getting UNC back in the upper half of the league this year.

8. Travis Decuire (UM) Decuire definitely has cooled off his seat with a 20 win season this year, and he can cool it off even more if the Griz make a run to the title game at the tourney next week, but there’s always gonna be pressure on Decuire cause that’s how Griz fans are. The Griz share a lot of the same frustrations that Weber fans have. With such a veteran team like we have this year, it’s inexcusable to drop some of the games we did this year. That said, unless the Griz have just a disastrous one and done exit from the tourney next week, Decuire has earned another year and I think there’s reason to be excited about the backcourt of Money Williams and Chase Henderson. Plus

8. Travis Decuire (UM) Decuire definitely has cooled off his seat with a 20 win season this year, and he can cool it off even more if the Griz make a run to the title game at the tourney next week, but there’s always gonna be pressure on Decuire cause that’s how Griz fans are. The Griz share a lot of the same frustrations that Weber fans have. With such a veteran team like we have this year, it’s inexcusable to drop some of the games we did this year. That said, unless the Griz have just a disastrous one and done exit from the tourney next week, Decuire has earned another year and I think there’s reason to be excited about the backcourt of Money Williams and Chase Henderson. Plus with a guy like Tyler Thompson coming in and whatever we get out of the portal (probably a guard) it could be a good season next year.

9. Alex Pribble (UI) Pribbles done a really nice job in his first season IMO. I really like this guy. A good young coach who I think has a bright future. He didn’t have much to work with when he got to the palouse, and in year 1 he’s won more games than Zac Claus ever did as head coach. Give this man some time and he’ll have the Vandy’s competitive. There’s always growing pains in year 1.

10. David Riley (EWU) there’s definitely a lot of concern that Riley may leave for a bigger job this offseason, but I think Eastern hangs onto him for at least 1 more year. That said, as long as he’s at Eastern there is no concern about him ever getting fired unless it’s for misconduct of some sort, but I can’t imagine that’d be an issue.

————————-

I very well could see a possibility where there’s not a single coaching change in the Big Sky this year. The only one that I think is truly in danger is Burcar, but it’s fun to rank these guys any way. Thoughts???
Thoughts on Logie now?

Back