• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Big Sky brass pleased with first Reno run

Bengal visitor said:
UMGriz75 said:
Should have read: "Big Sky Staff Congratulate Selves on Lack of Fans."

"We are finally achieving our goals within the Big Sky conference. If we can think of other ideas to reduce audiences at BSC tournaments, we are looking for them."

The decision to go to a neutral site wasn't the Big Sky staff's -- it was the Big Sky coaches, ADs and presidents.

Please don't include UM in that statement because that is far from the case.

Its amazing that multiple people are so sure of their belief as to whether this move was supported by UM and WSU or not. Makes me think noone knows. I am sure out of professionalism the presidents nor ADs will say anything to undermine the currrent plan ans as such we will probably not know the reality either way. Oh well it is what it is. All I can do is hope for the best for UM. My current opinion is that this move doesnt seem advantageous for UM. Hopefully it turns out to be the best for the kids that play the game and financially viable for UM.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
We all understand why they've gone to a neutral site (although no one is buying the recruiting advantage argument; if you're getting a kid excited about playing in a tournament as a 3-24 team, you're recruiting the wrong player).

That doesn't excuse the poor choice of location. It doesn't excuse rewarding the 14th place team with a day off before they play a high seed. It doesn't excuse the obviously terrible job of marketing this thing to locals (who admittedly don't give two shits about the BSC). It doesn't excuse 97 foul calls in the semis, making those games virtually unwatchable. Any casual fan without a rooting interest certainly ain't coming back after that debacle. It doesn't excuse the failure of the league to get someone --anyone -- to televise the thing, or at least the semis.

Look, I agree the Tourny appeared to be smoothly run. Kudos to the conference for doing what they were paid to do. The fact that they're being praised for it, however, just goes to show how incredibly low the bar is set in this confence.

And finally, BG, yes, fans should go. But this league can't get 800 people to drive 7 miles across town to watch their home team play a game. Do you really expect those fans are going to reNO to do so??

The recruiting thing was actually an important reason for the coaches. If another conference takes away a kid because, among other reasons, the size of the conference tourney, then the Big Sky team has lost a recruit they (and other schools) wanted. Everett, it never ceases to amaze me how little your know about sports. That's fine, but don't act like you do when you don't. I'm told that you don't have an athletic bone in your body.

Las Vegas was the preferred location, but there was no room at the inn there. Maybe Reno isn't a great location, but it has some positives.

I agree on the 97 fouls, but I hope you don't think the location and format of the tournament led to 97 foul calls.

Again, if that truly was a recruiting concern, then my point is made: this is the shittiest conference in the history of the world. If that's the kind of player teams in this league are recruiting, we're destined for a perpetual continuation of having 11 teams with sub-300 RPIs. Do you really think Montana or Weber has ever lost a kid because we didn't have 27 teams in our tournament? If the other teams want to recruit with those teams, here's a suggestion: GET BETTER, SCHEDULE BETTER, DRAW BETTER.

I know infinitely more about sports than you've forgotten. Which, based on your advanced age, I suspect is a rather voluminous amount. As for my athleticism or lack there of, good GOD you're a freaky dude if you're asking others about that. (Oh, and for what it's worth freaky boy, I'm currently ranked at the national level in a sport. How about you?).

There's plenty of room in vegas. What there wasn't in vegas was any interest in hosting the bsc tournament. You can see why.

No ,the 97 fouls were due to shitty bsc officials.

I haven't asked anyone about you, but some people have said some things about you. One senior administrator type said you were a fairly nice guy, drank the UM cool aid, didn't appear to have and athletic bone in your body, and said some things that made me think you were somewhat of a lightweight. Okay, what sport are you nationally ranked in?

Right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "One senior administrator". Just happened to be talking about me to you.

God, you are a freaky, freaky man. At least TRY to be believable. Then perhaps at least the newbies to the board may have an ounce of respect for you, at least for a very short while.

I'm nationally ranked in tennis. How 'bout you? Any national rankings you'd like to claim?

And UM did NOT vote to move the tournament to a neutral site.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
The recruiting thing was actually an important reason for the coaches. If another conference takes away a kid because, among other reasons, the size of the conference tourney, then the Big Sky team has lost a recruit they (and other schools) wanted. Everett, it never ceases to amaze me how little your know about sports. That's fine, but don't act like you do when you don't. I'm told that you don't have an athletic bone in your body.

Las Vegas was the preferred location, but there was no room at the inn there. Maybe Reno isn't a great location, but it has some positives.

I agree on the 97 fouls, but I hope you don't think the location and format of the tournament led to 97 foul calls.

Again, if that truly was a recruiting concern, then my point is made: this is the shittiest conference in the history of the world. If that's the kind of player teams in this league are recruiting, we're destined for a perpetual continuation of having 11 teams with sub-300 RPIs. Do you really think Montana or Weber has ever lost a kid because we didn't have 27 teams in our tournament? If the other teams want to recruit with those teams, here's a suggestion: GET BETTER, SCHEDULE BETTER, DRAW BETTER.

I know infinitely more about sports than you've forgotten. Which, based on your advanced age, I suspect is a rather voluminous amount. As for my athleticism or lack there of, good GOD you're a freaky dude if you're asking others about that. (Oh, and for what it's worth freaky boy, I'm currently ranked at the national level in a sport. How about you?).

There's plenty of room in vegas. What there wasn't in vegas was any interest in hosting the bsc tournament. You can see why.

No ,the 97 fouls were due to shitty bsc officials.

I haven't asked anyone about you, but some people have said some things about you. One senior administrator type said you were a fairly nice guy, drank the UM cool aid, didn't appear to have and athletic bone in your body, and said some things that made me think you were somewhat of a lightweight. Okay, what sport are you nationally ranked in?

Right! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: "One senior administrator". Just happened to be talking about me to you.

God, you are a freaky, freaky man. At least TRY to be believable. Then perhaps at least the newbies to the board may have an ounce of respect for you, at least for a very short while.

I'm nationally ranked in tennis. How 'bout you? Any national rankings you'd like to claim?

And UM did NOT vote to move the tournament to a neutral site.

This person called me to ask who EverettGriz was, because he knew I was on egriz. When I told him, he chuckled and then said what he said. Others have called me to ask if I knew who EverettGriz was, including some of the people you diss on egriz. Nope, I'm not nationally ranked in any sport, altho I'm "nationally ranked" in various things related to my profession. Are you nationally ranked in your profession or job? I also call a bit of BS on you being "nationally" ranked in tennis. You may have to provide some backup on that one. PM a link to your national ranking, and I'll be happy to post your national ranking (without posting your name).

Hammer said:
Bengal visitor said:
UMGriz75 said:
Should have read: "Big Sky Staff Congratulate Selves on Lack of Fans."

"We are finally achieving our goals within the Big Sky conference. If we can think of other ideas to reduce audiences at BSC tournaments, we are looking for them."

The decision to go to a neutral site wasn't the Big Sky staff's -- it was the Big Sky coaches, ADs and presidents.

Please don't include UM in that statement because that is far from the case.

I think I'll see if I can track down some written communication on this subject. Something isn't adding up here. Maybe UM should put out something showing that they opposed the neutral site, tourney format, and Reno location, if that's the case. That isn't what I had heard.

PR, I wouldn't send you a bag of my excrement. And I frankly don't care whether you believe me or not.

In either event, you're either lying, or the person had no freaking idea who I was. And btw, it hasn't escaped me that you've said repeatedly we haven't met and you don't know who I am, but yet somehow you were able to tell this nebulous "senior administration official", who no doubt spends a GREAT deal of time on eGriz, :roll: who EverettGriz is.

You should probably think through things a little better before your post your bullshit.

grizindabox said:
Mavman said:
I realize that many people are not happy with the location and idea of a neutral court for the tournament.
I would however strongly encourage all of you to try and attend next year if you can swing it. The quality of play and the competitive games made it all worth it.

they would rather sit home and bitch about it....

I actually tried to make it, but ended up sitting at home and watching the stream/ESPN final. I made hotel reservations in early November, then tried hard to get RT flight tix to Missoula that were affordable for me. Ended up tempted to skip the Big Sky and go to the Pac 12 Tourney in Las Vegas (quite reasonable). But flight arrangements from Missoula just did NOT WORK (cost, schedule, layovers, etc. etc.) So, I considered driving, but quickly gave that up, because I decided I'd have to take all of one day and part of a second day to drive (one way). I did not wish to spend 3-4 days traveling.

Several years ago I went to the Cougar Invitational in Spokane when the Griz were invited (2006 I think) and loved every minute. Great venue, well run. Based upon that experience, I believe Spokane would be a great host city.

I've concluded that the Reno venue is for students, and those who can take 7 days to attend the tourney. That's ok with me. The tourney will be better run each year, and hopefully so will the media exposure. I'll just be happy with that.

So, I suppose I AM one of those who would rather sit at home and bitch. But I think instead I'll just get used to the changes in tourney format.

grizzlyjournal said:
Several years ago I went to the Cougar Invitational in Spokane when the Griz were invited (2006 I think) and loved every minute. Great venue, well run. Based upon that experience, I believe Spokane would be a great host city.

That was a good lil tourney the Cougs had...I went to one of the Griz games that year, I believe you played Air Force...I think it was in 2007.

Regardless, it was a game with two teams with no affiliation to Spokane and it was very well attended and was a fun atmosphere, which I believe Spokane would do for the Big Sky tourney as well...

EverettGriz said:
PR, I wouldn't send you a bag of my excrement. And I frankly don't care whether you believe me or not.

In either event, you're either lying, or the person had no freaking idea who I was. And btw, it hasn't escaped me that you've said repeatedly we haven't met and you don't know who I am, but yet somehow you were able to tell this nebulous "senior administration official", who no doubt spends a GREAT deal of time on eGriz, :roll: who EverettGriz is.

You should probably think through things a little better before your post your bullshit.

So much for your supposed "national ranking". Everything I posted was 100% correct. No BS about it. I have never said I don't know your name. I just haven't met you, to my knowledge. If you think I don't know who you are, do you mind if I post your name and say what your alumni position was? Okay to link to link your LinkedIn? Maybe you are the one who should link before you post.

I guess my thought is "What do you think they are going to say?"

Didn't they sign a three year agreement?

I'm also quite certain I won't be making it to next fall's preseason Paradise Jam early season D 1 hoops tourney (Griz are in the tourney field), November 18-21 in St. Thomas, Virgin Islands. Yep. Already checked out preliminary pricing.

Sure. Post away, pr.

You'll be band, and we would ALL love that.

But evidently based on what you're posting here, I don't think you really do know who I am.

And yes, I'm nationally ranked. Mind you, it's age-group based. It's not like I'm playing in the BNP Paribas Open right now.

God you're a strange man.

PlayerRep said:
I have never said I don't know your name. I just haven't met you, to my knowledge. If you think I don't know who you are, do you mind if I post your name and say what your alumni position was? Okay to link to link your LinkedIn? Maybe you are the one who should link before you post.

Wow.

UNDfan said:
It's amazing that the collective brain trust here can't figure out why the Big Sky likes Reno. Weber St and egriz are out voted by the 10 other teams: that's why. But more than that, each school wants to schmooze their high donors, and those donors don't want to bother with Missoula or Ogden or even Billings. They will show for Reno or Vegas or maybe even Denver, but not popunk towns. The AD's and Presidents went to Reno for their own schmoozing, and they wouldn't dream of schmoozing their alumni in Missoula. The parties are already being planned for next year in Reno. Vegas opens up a new venue next year, as the PAC12 moves to the 18.5k seat T-Mobile Arena from the 12k MGM Grand Garden. The Sky will move to Vegas in 2018, as Vegas offers world class schmoozing opportunities.

Actually, the rest of the conference was growing tired of having to go to Missoula or Ogden EVERY YEAR..... :lol:

Paytonlives said:
I guess my thought is "What do you think they are going to say?"
It's puzzling. The people organizing the project do their own self-assessment. Reporters don't think to ask anybody else. Hmmmm. Brings up a point, that Sports Reporters are not typical journalists. A sports reporter does not survive unless he is basically the public relations arm for the local team. It was one of the reasons the Missoulian could not let the sports staff cover the JJ proceedings (never mind the whoop do of obeying one rule of avoiding biased journalism while abandoning another role of favoriting overt social justice bias).

putter said:
UNDfan said:
It's amazing that the collective brain trust here can't figure out why the Big Sky likes Reno. Weber St and egriz are out voted by the 10 other teams: that's why. But more than that, each school wants to schmooze their high donors, and those donors don't want to bother with Missoula or Ogden or even Billings. They will show for Reno or Vegas or maybe even Denver, but not popunk towns. The AD's and Presidents went to Reno for their own schmoozing, and they wouldn't dream of schmoozing their alumni in Missoula. The parties are already being planned for next year in Reno. Vegas opens up a new venue next year, as the PAC12 moves to the 18.5k seat T-Mobile Arena from the 12k MGM Grand Garden. The Sky will move to Vegas in 2018, as Vegas offers world class schmoozing opportunities.

Actually, the rest of the conference was growing tired of having to go to Missoula or Ogden EVERY YEAR..... :lol:

This :clap:

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

So much for your supposed "national ranking". Everything I posted was 100% correct. No BS about it. I have never said I don't know your name. I just haven't met you, to my knowledge. If you think I don't know who you are, do you mind if I post your name and say what your alumni position was? Okay to link to link your LinkedIn? Maybe you are the one who should link before you post.

My name is Jose Emanos.

Latest posts

Back