• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2024 Griz Recruiting (18) Verbals (15) Offers

Griz Addict said:
Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/_Cliff10/status/1657855292158214149

I have a really good feeling about this dude. Don't be surprised if he ends up being the starter. He either becomes the starter or we go with a 2 qb system. Bank on it.

Vidlak will hands-down be the starter anyone who watch the scrimmage can see that easily. He will be the best quarterback we’ve had since Jordan Johnson.

I do not believe we will use a two quarterback system, but I do believe we will use this guy a lot in specific packages. For example when we are within the 5 or 10 yard line and you can put him in wildcat or do some cool dual threat stuff with him. Or when it’s third and short or fourth and short. A good pick up for sure.

I see McDowell being a lot like AJ Abbott, but a much better runner. I don't know if his passing ability is going to be enough to usurp Vidlak as the main starter, but he adds an element to this offense we haven't seen since Dalton Sneed (before he got hurt). Bobby up to this point has never been a fan of switching QBs out mid-series, so I'm skeptical on him running a true dual QB offense, but if he's handing more of the reigns to Pease, then maybe we'll see it.

I'm just stoked that we actually filled the massive gap behind Vidlak this early into the process.

uofmman1122 said:
I see McDowell being a lot like AJ Abbott, but a much better runner. I don't know if his passing ability is going to be enough to usurp Vidlak as the main starter, but he adds an element to this offense we haven't seen since Dalton Sneed (before he got hurt). Bobby up to this point has never been a fan of switching QBs out mid-series, so I'm skeptical on him running a true dual QB offense, but if he's handing more of the reigns to Pease, then maybe we'll see it.

I'm just stoked that we actually filled the massive gap behind Vidlak this early into the process.

Did they? This guy has completed one pass in D1 football based on what I can find. IMO, it is unknowable whether they "filled the massive gap."

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

Did they? This guy has completed one pass in D1 football based on what I can find. IMO, it is unknowable whether they "filled the massive gap."
We needed a better backup QB, and IMO we got one. Guys with massive stats aren't coming here to be QB2.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

he's thrown 31 passes between UL-L and Central Arkansas.

SoldierGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

They did not bring him in to throw the ball he’s literally going to be a running quarterback think of third and short fourth and short or inside the 10 yard line. Anyone even looking at passing stats for him is missing the mark.

HookedonGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

They did not bring him in to throw the ball he’s literally going to be a running quarterback think of third and short fourth and short or inside the 10 yard line. Anyone even looking at passing stats for him is missing the mark.

So, Vlidak gets hurt - who is QB2?

AZGrizFan said:
SoldierGriz said:

he's thrown 31 passes between UL-L and Central Arkansas.

Well then - that's much better!

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:
I see McDowell being a lot like AJ Abbott, but a much better runner.

Is this good?
I think it depends on how well he can throw, which we don't really know yet. If he can, then the Abbott comparison is not applicable. But unlike Abbott, his running ability is actually a legit weapon.

uofmman1122 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Is this good?
I think it depends on how well he can throw, which we don't really know yet. If he can, then the Abbott comparison is not applicable. But unlike Abbott, his running ability is actually a legit weapon.

Well, good to know that he might be better than the guy that couldn't climb past #4 on the depth chart. Sounds promising.

HelenaHandBasket said:
uofmman1122 said:

Well, good to know that he might be better than the guy that couldn't climb past #4 on the depth chart. Sounds promising.
I think his running ability alone puts him a slot above everything we have behind Sam right now, but I'm also aware that if he were an incredible passer, he likely wouldn't be coming here when we've presumably already got our guy. Our offense looked the best in the last few years with a guy who could do real damage on the ground, so I'm hopeful they can make this kid work, as well.

SoldierGriz said:
HookedonGriz said:

Kris Brown is with a steady mix of this dude.

HookedonGriz said:
SoldierGriz said:

I think you're selling McDowell a little short here. If that's all they brought him in for, then it was a terrible move. He certainly sounds like he didn't come here to be a situational wildcat QB/RB.

uofmman1122 said:
HookedonGriz said:
I think you're selling McDowell a little short here. If that's all they brought him in for, then it was a terrible move. He certainly sounds like he didn't come here to be a situational wildcat QB/RB.

He will compete for the starting job for sure. It’s just that he won’t beat out Vidlak. It won’t be close actually. He could probably be next in line above Brown depending on how quick he picks up the play book. But our staff is weirdly loyal to Brown….for reasons I’ll never understand. That’s the hill our new QB will have to climb. I mean they rolled with Brown before Britt for a long time too. You know what I mean.

HookedonGriz said:
uofmman1122 said:

He will compete for the starting job for sure. It’s just that he won’t beat out Vidlak. It won’t be close actually. He could probably be next in line above Brown depending on how quick he picks up the play book. But our staff is weirdly loyal to Brown….for reasons I’ll never understand. That’s the hill our new QB will have to climb. I mean they rolled with Brown before Britt for a long time too. You know what I mean.
I get what you’re saying, but we don’t bring in transfers for them to be #3 on the depth chart (before anyone brings him up, Abbott was a walk-on). Vidlak has the leg up in the starter battle, and I expect him to win it, but they wouldn’t bring this guy in and convince him to reneg on his other commitment if they planned on KB backing up anyone next season.

They rolled with Brown over Britt last year because he looked much better in camp and practices (and then realized too late they made the wrong choice because KB just doesn’t have it in games).

Back