• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2023 Griz Football Recruiting- (11)Verbals- (15)Offers- (1) 2024 Vebal

Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/A_xabbo/status/1549829173082038272

Generally a transfer QB from Oregon is pretty big news, but people apparently prefer to talk about Andy Petek's legal issues.

What are you thoughts on this guy (Abbott, not Petek)? Does he have a chance to start? I assume he was a walk on at Oregon, did he have any other offers out of HS? I see he's from Texas, is he related to the governor?

Just saw that Selah's Michael Ray is going to come to U of M as a PWO OL this season. This was in an article from the Yakima Herald-Republic posted recently. Looks like he's 6'3" and about 270-275. It says his father Jason Ray played for the Griz in the 80s. Really sorry, I don't know how to post the link to the article but just wanted to share.

wbtfg said:
Paytonlives said:
https://twitter.com/A_xabbo/status/1549829173082038272

Generally a transfer QB from Oregon is pretty big news, but people apparently prefer to talk about Andy Petek's legal issues.

What are you thoughts on this guy (Abbott, not Petek)? Does he have a chance to start? I assume he was a walk on at Oregon, did he have any other offers out of HS? I see he's from Texas, is he related to the governor?
I for one would rather talk about AJ Abbott then Andy Petek, so I'll give you my thoughts. First, I think this is a great get. He did some big time things in high school. He went to the same high school that Andrew Luck went to, and actually broke a couple of Luck's school records. He had multiple FBS and FCS offers, the 2 most notable being walk-on offers at Oregon and LSU. He had some smaller FBS offers from the likes of Texas State and others as well, but when the opportunity presents itself to go to one of the nations top programs like that with a chance to prove yourself, and all the glitz and glamour that comes with being in a program like Oregon, you take it.

I for one do not project him to be the starter. I just don't see any way he starts over a 7 year Senior in Lucas Johnson, and IMO Johnson has proved he's worthy of the job as he's done a lot of great things in college. I think this move was made knowing that he will be competing for the backup spot. We gotta get somebody who if Johnson goes down, we have somebody who can step up and we hardly skip a beat. We were hoping to have that last year in Kris Brown when Cam went down, and that wasn't the case. I definitely think Abbott is more than capable of being the backup and being a reliable backup. If he's able to do that, then he will absolutely be in the conversation to be the starter come 2023. it'll be a 2 horse race between him and Daniel Britt IMO.

Here's a good article on him for when he committed to Oregon.
https://www.si.com/college/oregon/recruiting/oregon-adds-walk-on-quarterback-in-2021-class

Miltongriz23 said:
Just saw that Selah's Michael Ray is going to come to U of M as a PWO OL this season. This was in an article from the Yakima Herald-Republic posted recently. Looks like he's 6'3" and about 270-275. It says his father Jason Ray played for the Griz in the 80s. Really sorry, I don't know how to post the link to the article but just wanted to share.
I gotchu!
https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/college_sports/cwu_sports/selahs-michael-ray-pivots-from-lacrosse-to-football-for-college/article_448eb127-6cea-579d-af61-23444609c8b4.html

All of a sudden, the QB room seems to be overflowing with riches! But with injuries and the transfer portal, those riches can disappear quickly............ :evil:

Griz til I die said:
Miltongriz23 said:
I gotchu!
https://www.yakimaherald.com/sports/college_sports/cwu_sports/selahs-michael-ray-pivots-from-lacrosse-to-football-for-college/article_448eb127-6cea-579d-af61-23444609c8b4.html

I LOVE LOVE LOVE O-linemen who are also wrestlers! LOVE it. :clap: :clap:

MikeyGriz said:
All of a sudden, the QB room seems to be overflowing with riches! But with injuries and the transfer portal, those riches can disappear quickly............ :evil:
Hauck usually only has 4 QBs on the roster, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a departure.

I'll let people guess who they think it might be (because I don't know lol).

uofmman1122 said:
MikeyGriz said:
Hauck usually only has 4 QBs on the roster, so I wouldn't be surprised to see a departure.

My guess would be Huot. He might just find another position though.

uofmman1122 said:
MikeyGriz said:

Maybe instead of a departure, a move to another position.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Huot just graduated high school. Arguably one of the better Montana high school quarterbacks in awhile and a very intriguing QB prospect at the college level. He's not even in the discussion this year, but has a bright future.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Not sure that would be the first guess of most.

HelenaHandBasket said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Not sure that would be the first guess of most.

I guess’d Huot because he’s the youngest and most likely for a position change. If he sticks around and the Oregon kid wins the job, Huot won’t start until his Sr year. Next year will be Britt’s 3rd year in the system and a better chance of starting over the Oregon kid. Yes Kris Brown is likely also but I’ve already mentally checked him out of the equation. I see Lucas starting this year, Britt/Abbott starting in ‘23-‘25, and if Huot sticks around, he’ll start as a Sr in ‘26. That is if another more talented QB doesn’t show up in the next four years.

We have Johnson, Brown, Britt, Huot, Abbott,, and Ah Yat. Even Rostad, who's listed as athlete. There's gotta be someone moving on. Personally, after Brown's performance last year, I can't see him sticking; but some think he will. Thing's will change, but at least Bobby has depth.

rocklobster said:
We have Johnson, Brown, Britt, Huot, Abbott,, and Ah Yat. Even Rostad, who's listed as athlete. There's gotta be someone moving on. Personally, after Brown's performance last year, I can't see him sticking; but some think he will. Thing's will change, but at least Bobby has depth.

Ah Yat is not here until 2023

Rostad is going to play Safety for us, Abbott is going to have to have a waiver to play this season because he entered the transfer portal after the May 1st deadline.

HookedonGriz said:
AZDoc said:
When did AJ Abbot sneak in? I missed that one…

Entered portal late June, committed to Griz shortly after, hasn’t joined team quite yet but plans to. Big time pick up.

Thank you. I didn’t see any posts on it either…was having UCLA/BYU flashbacks…

Back