• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2019 Record - expectations and reality

Some say EWU, WEBER, UCD and MSU will be too tough. However, I see that the Griz will be much better and catch up to them. I say 9-3.

Yukon said:
Some say EWU, WEBER, UCD and MSU will be too tough. However, I see that the Griz will be much better and catch up to them. I say 9-3.
Might be a bit optimistic ... but I like it.

I said this on one of the "scrimmage" threads: The fact that Hauck and the coaches are spending a lot of time to look at backups/depth seems like a very good sign to me. Of course, it could also be a very bad sign ... suggesting they have no confidence in the current ones. But there are enough returning starters -- known quantities -- to make that seem unlikely. Hauck's version of coach-speak is usually more about problems than about big positives, so you cannot tell from that. But, as the old saying goes: "Actions speak louder than words."

Had better make the damn playoffs. Tough thinking back on last year how we had the lead in the 4th quarter. That's part mental toughness, part attitude and part players.

Hopefully all 3 phases are being addressed.

8-4 to finish the regular season with a W against the scats, securing a playoff bid

IdaGriz01 said:
Yukon said:
Might be a bit optimistic ... but I like it.

I said this on one of the "scrimmage" threads: The fact that Hauck and the coaches are spending a lot of time to look at backups/depth seems like a very good sign to me. Of course, it could also be a very bad sign ... suggesting they have no confidence in the current ones. But there are enough returning starters -- known quantities -- to make that seem unlikely. Hauck's version of coach-speak is usually more about problems than about big positives, so you cannot tell from that. But, as the old saying goes: "Actions speak louder than words."

Yes, I'm optimistic. I know I could be way off, but got to have good thoughts. :thumb:

The Seattle Mariners were supposed to be terrible this year, yet they're hitting dingers everywhere and they're sitting at 10-2. If that can happen with the Mariners, I'm going with the Griz at 10-2. :cool:

On a serious note though, I see about 7 or 8 wins for the Griz.

I'm the put up or shut up guy from the other thread. I figure the previous coaching crew could have easily got the Griz to 6-6 or 7-5, so what's the point of changing coaches if the change doesn't bring improvement. I think the whole 'he needs three years to get his guys' is wrong. I often wonder how much real evidence supporting this assertion, I'd note Dan Hawkins seemed to get things turned around in Davis in two years.

No question it's a tough schedule, but my expectation is that the Griz are competitive with the EWU's, Webers and UCD'S of the world. 8-4 is minimum expectation.

get'em_griz said:
The Seattle Mariners were supposed to be terrible this year, yet they're hitting dingers everywhere and they're sitting at 10-2.

Circle today's date on your calendar so later this fall you can "remember when"!

mcg said:
I'm the put up or shut up guy from the other thread. I figure the previous coaching crew could have easily got the Griz to 6-6 or 7-5, so what's the point of changing coaches if the change doesn't bring improvement. I think the whole 'he needs three years to get his guys' is wrong. I often wonder how much real evidence supporting this assertion, I'd note Dan Hawkins seemed to get things turned around in Davis in two years.

No question it's a tough schedule, but my expectation is that the Griz are competitive with the EWU's, Webers and UCD'S of the world. 8-4 is minimum expectation.

And you can add MSU to that list, obviously on the rise.

Also, I don't think the griz will be a bad team in 2019, I actually think they'll be pretty good. the problem is the level of competition. Scratching my head trying to determine where the eight or nine wins are going to come from out of the list below.

South Dakota
North Alabama
Oregon
Monmouth
UC Davis
Idaho State
Sac State
Eastern Washington
Portland State
Idaho
Weber State
Montana State

my guess:

South Dakota (win)
North Alabama (win)
Oregon
Monmouth (win)
UC Davis
Idaho State (win)
Sac State (win)
Eastern Washington (win)
Portland State (win)
Idaho (win)
Weber State
Montana State (win)

This is a senior heavy class so the expectation better be to win now. There is, unfortunately, no quick fix to the o-line issues that have plagued us for what seems like forever now. I trust that with the transfer and another year of experience we will be better on the line. Otherwise, I believe we are equal or better across the board in all positions. I expect a 10-2 or 9-3 regular season barring no injury at starting QB. We only have one likely loss and the rest should be up in the air as we battle EWU, WSU, MSU and UCD.

tourist said:
Having a winning schedule and playing cupcake teams to get there is meaningless. There has been much said about upgrading the schedule and not scheduling poor games for a WGS win. Here's the chance to prove that theory. Home field will be a big plus, that means getting back to your seats for the second half kickoff(except when fatboy and Reinell square off at his tailgate). Fans need to be as committed as the players and staff. 6-6 is baseline, and unacceptable. Davis, EWU and Bozo will be tough. 8-4 probable. Nobody expects a win in Eugene, but the rest of the games are do-able. If I'm right, 11-1 is possible, but Hauck will have to make some tough calls to get it done. Hopefully, he has flushed all Stitt-era non-hackers from the team.

Agreed. 8-4 with losses to Oregon, EWU, Weber & UCD. Which makes us 8-3 in FCS games and a playoff team. There isn’t another team on that schedule we should lose to. Not one. Any anybody saying different is making excuses for Hauck.

AZGrizFan said:
tourist said:
Having a winning schedule and playing cupcake teams to get there is meaningless. There has been much said about upgrading the schedule and not scheduling poor games for a WGS win. Here's the chance to prove that theory. Home field will be a big plus, that means getting back to your seats for the second half kickoff(except when fatboy and Reinell square off at his tailgate). Fans need to be as committed as the players and staff. 6-6 is baseline, and unacceptable. Davis, EWU and Bozo will be tough. 8-4 probable. Nobody expects a win in Eugene, but the rest of the games are do-able. If I'm right, 11-1 is possible, but Hauck will have to make some tough calls to get it done. Hopefully, he has flushed all Stitt-era non-hackers from the team.

Agreed. 8-4 with losses to Oregon, EWU, Weber & UCD. Which makes us 8-3 in FCS games and a playoff team. There isn’t another team on that schedule we should lose to. Not one. Any anybody saying different is making excuses for Hauck.

I don't disagree 8-4 is doable, but ISU had a great year last year and lose nothing but a QB. I would add them to the list as well as MSU in terms of their returning roster. Not that we cant win 2 of the 5 games between UWU, Weber, UCD, MSU, and ISU, but I also wouldn't say that we absolutely shouldn't lose to either of those teams as well.

AZGrizFan said:

I am not making excuses for Hauck, I just struggle seeing more than 6-7 wins until we see if the Griz can compete in the trenches. Currently, I don't think they are, which will make beating good teams and winning consistently on the road very difficult.

poorgriz said:
Culture and coaching changes take time. You're at least a year away. Likely 6-6, but could hit 7-5 or 5-7.

@ South Dakota - Tossup

North Alabama - Win

@Oregon - Loss

Monmouth - Win

@UC Davis - Loss

Idaho St - Tossup

@Sac St - Tossup

EWU - Loss

@PSU - Win

Idaho - Tossup

Weber St - Loss

@Montana St. - Loss
Curious how you can say 2-8 Sac State will be a tossup this year? Also Idaho, who we ran off the field last year....

I tend to agree with poorgriz, and not because he’s a fellow Cat fan.
I think the griz will be a solid team, probably a better overall team than last year.
I won’t be surprised at all if they’re competitive in almost every game.
But as it’s been said, the schedule is a tough one this year.

I see 6-6 as the minimum, very possible to hit 7-5, and anything above that would be very impressive and unexpected.

Missoula223 said:
I don't disagree 8-4 is doable, but ISU had a great year last year and lose nothing but a QB. I would add them to the list as well as MSU in terms of their returning roster. Not that we cant win 2 of the 5 games between UWU, Weber, UCD, MSU, and ISU, but I also wouldn't say that we absolutely shouldn't lose to either of those teams as well.

Is there a Brinty Award for CYA posting? :lol:

Right now I'd put the over/under at 7 because I think we're a year away from regaining some of the old form, I expect the warmer fuzzier Bobby to keep drifting back into his old form also which we need.

WaGriz4life said:
poorgriz said:
Culture and coaching changes take time. You're at least a year away. Likely 6-6, but could hit 7-5 or 5-7.

@ South Dakota - Tossup

North Alabama - Win

@Oregon - Loss

Monmouth - Win

@UC Davis - Loss

Idaho St - Tossup

@Sac St - Tossup

EWU - Loss

@PSU - Win

Idaho - Tossup

Weber St - Loss

@Montana St. - Loss
Curious how you can say 2-8 Sac State will be a tossup this year? Also Idaho, who we ran off the field last year....

Exactly. And lost virtually NO skill position players....

grizindabox said:
AZGrizFan said:

I am not making excuses for Hauck, I just struggle seeing more than 6-7 wins until we see if the Griz can compete in the trenches. Currently, I don't think they are, which will make beating good teams and winning consistently on the road very difficult.

Then who are the 5-6 teams you think we’ll lose to? Because I just don’t see it based on that schedule. I see four losses max.

Back