• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

2017 Vim's Montana High School Football Recruiting List

krammer said:
are there rules for how many can walk on etc ? just askin.....seems like there may be lots of raw talented kids out there in a, b, c, land.....

No rules really. PWO's are there to fill up your roster and to offer fringe guys who have potential. Every year there is raw, talented football players that deserve a shot and they usually come from the Class C ranks (B players get noticed pretty regularly now).

VimSince03 said:
krammer said:
are there rules for how many can walk on etc ? just askin.....seems like there may be lots of raw talented kids out there in a, b, c, land.....

No rules really. PWO's are there to fill up your roster and to offer fringe guys who have potential. Every year there is raw, talented football players that deserve a shot and they usually come from the Class C ranks (B players get noticed pretty regularly now).

I believe FCS still has these limits.
Spring and Summer roster no more than 110

Fall roster (1st day of class or first practice), limited to 90.

Paytonlives said:
VimSince03 said:
krammer said:

Well I know there are roster limits but I thought he was asking if there is a rule with how many PWO's you can have.

VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
VimSince03 said:
krammer said:

Well I know there are roster limits but I thought he was asking if there is a rule with how many PWO's you can have.

Nope... just roster limits

PWO vs WO.....PWO can start practicing before school is in session that's why PWO is a "higher" offer than just a walk on (they can't practice until school is in session ) For this reason the number of PWO could change depending on how scholarships are divided up at the FCS level.

thanks to all who responded to my question.....learning about WO,PWO, roster limits and dates etc. is what is nice about this board when it works...learning is always fun.....again thanks...

VimSince03 said:
Sam A. Blitz said:
Some FCS school's recruiting classes are nothing but "PWO"

The Pioneer League does not offer scholarship I think.

Correct, not athletic scholarships. They still find away to get a lot of their guys $ through academic and grants is my understanding.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BSullytyme/status/824848295545548804[/tweet]

Funny video of Nate getting swatted by Bryson and Braydon. One thing is for sure, Nate's got onions going to the paint on those two!

VimSince03 said:
AlumniX2 said:
Other good ones from Montana....anyone have insight?
Canton Coverdell and Chandler Allen from Fairfield Good Class B program; always competitive; both know how to win

Patrick O'Connell from Kalispell Good size; good instinct; comes from good program so has the tools

RJ Fitzgerald from Dillon Played in 3 state championship games; comes from a great hs program; tough and hard nosed

Knack, Morgan and McKitrick all had big roles in Ennis; good athletes

RJ is your typical shorter MLB who plays big and never takes a play off. He is a two-time All-State MLB at about 5'10", 215 lbs. Also a decent FB on offense. Again, speed might be the biggest thing holding him back. Could be worth a look as a PWO.

Jake Knack is this year's Chad Newell. He isn't quite as big as Chad was in high school but Jake isn't small at 6'2", 195 lbs. He runs angry and has good acceleration when in the open field. Has good hands out of the backfield. Could develop as either a RB or OLB. Not quite sure he is twitchy enough of an athlete to make it at the FCS level but we talk about about kids not having this or that then Chad Newell happens. Jake is a tough SOB.

I've seen RJ Fitzgerald play several times for powerhouse Dillon, including a state championship game in Butte. Good player no doubt, but not better than the linebackers UM has recruited. Agree, PWO at best.

Jake Knack is a good athlete, looks like a good AA athlete playing down at Class C Ennis. He's bigger, stronger and more athletic than a lot of his competition. I mean just the other night they pummeled Sheridan 72-32 in basketball. He could hang in the AA. I am not a fan of his man-bun, but maybe that's where he gets his power.

One thing I like to see is that the top talent is staying in state this year, versus out of state FBS/FCS (minus a walk on). Not sure if it's due to slightly not as talented top tear, or if just a good year for Montana to keep the kids. Others in the know/much smarter than me could certainly chime in.

AZDoc said:
One thing I like to see is that the top talent is staying in state this year, versus out of state FBS/FCS (minus a walk on). Not sure if it's due to slightly not as talented top tear, or if just a good year for Montana to keep the kids. Others in the know/much smarter than me could certainly chime in.

Both schools did a good job of getting these kids to stay in-state. Mountain West like to dangle out PWO offers every year with the occasional Pac-12 school. Also, Big Sky schools are continually lurking to try and get a Montana kid. UND recruited several of the top Montana kids this year though I'm unsure of any legitimate scholarship offers.

So yeah UM and MSU did a good job.

Anybody got a take on Derrick Olsen out of Helena High. Looks like Semore is following him, maybe a developmental CB? He has the measurables.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4270387/derrick-olsen

dayday said:
Anybody got a take on Derrick Olsen out of Helena High. Looks like Semore is following him, maybe a developmental CB? He has the measurables.

http://www.hudl.com/profile/4270387/derrick-olsen

Of course I have a take! One of the best hurdlers in the state and nearly beat Gabe Sulser in the 110MH last year at 14.34 (Gabe ran 14.24 but both are blazing fast). He is still pretty raw as a football player. At 6'4", 170 lbs., he played both WR and DB for the Bengals and was a 1st Team All-State WR along with Gabe Sulser of Senior, Lance McCutcheon of Bozeman, and Kiley Caprara of Butte.

As a corner, he has natural hip movement out of his break (which doesn't surprise me due to his hurdling ability) but he doesn't really have good technique in several areas, which is normal out of high school for a PWO-type kid. He relies a lot on his natural athleticism at corner than he does at WR. As of right now, he is a better WR prospect than a CB prospect because he shows a good knack for route running and getting open. Also does a good job of catching balls in traffic. Needs to get stronger because his blocking is a weakness based off what I've seen on film. It also doesn't help him when he has to jam a receiver at the line.

So in closing, he is definitely worth a look at either WR or DB at the FCS level as a PWO. He could be the 11th Montana recruit you guys were looking for on Saturday.

thanks vim for your hard work and input on e griz during this recruitment period....your ok for a cat.....also congrats to the cats on a very strong class this year.......

Back