• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1 and Done

I really hope the staff sticks with the QBs they have. It is time for a two or three year starter, time to develop a couple kids and let them push each other for a few seasons.
End the cycle of one year players ay QB.

Mavman said:
I really hope the staff sticks with the QBs they have. It is time for a two or three year starter, time to develop a couple kids and let them push each other for a few seasons.

Are you okay with a down season and maybe no playoffs, to accomplish what you want?

mthoopsfan said:
Mavman said:

Are you okay with a down season and maybe no playoffs, to accomplish what you want?

That will happen only if the coaches have brought in players unable to compete at the big sky level. I believe a player develops quicker playing the game then spending two years behind senior transfers. Lets recruit, develop. and play these young men. Is the staff bringing in good recruits? Are the coaches developing the kids? Way too many examples of Freshman/ Sophmores being successful to think the Griz would have a bad season.

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:
Better hope. Bobby wasted the first two years of that kid’s career in the QB room. Imagine where he’d be (developmentally) if he’d put him where he belonged from the get go?

I've known Garrett for awhile. I mentioned him because I am rooting for him to do well, not because he hasn't. I think he is a really good player already. Was just commenting that I hope he stays healthy and has a great year. He was a scout team QB his redshirt year. That's it. He was a wr and special teams ace his freshmen year. He has started or played in every game since his sophomore season as a safety. I certainly don't believe his time was wasted. Nor does he to my knowledge. If anything they found ways to get him on the field earlier than if he had been just a saftey. Also, I'm not sure if you realize it, but it's not always as simple as putting someone somwhere. The athlete often has a say in where they start out when they sign.

I just think 2 additional years in the DB room would have been beneficial to his development. There were LOTS of people on here back then who were very high on Garrett and wanted him on the field sooner rather than later…I remember him catching a couple passes his freshman year, but that year again he was a WR, not a safety when it was kind of apparent that safety was his natural position. Maybe he wanted to try QB and WR and that’s why they kept him there, I don’t know.

PTGrizzly said:
AZGrizFan said:
Why not? Honestly curious…

Because that would be critiquing Bobby and staff, and PR can’t do that.

Exactly. PR still hasn’t publicly criticized Hauck for trying to recruit the Sac player, even though PR was super ticked about it and called the player dirty. Kinda sad how quick some people will drop their opinions, ignore their moral compass in order to stay buddies with the head coach.

CDAGRIZ said:
PTGrizzly said:

Mm-hmm, and how does it make you feel when he "can't do that"?

Could not care less how he or anybody posts. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I’m just pointing out the obvious. Like how you use your humorous nature to hide how little you know about everything else.

Mavman said:
mthoopsfan said:

That will happen only if the coaches have brought in players unable to compete at the big sky level. I believe a player develops quicker playing the game then spending two years behind senior transfers. Lets recruit, develop. and play these young men. Is the staff bringing in good recruits? Are the coaches developing the kids? Way too many examples of Freshman/ Sophmores being successful to think the Griz would have a bad season.

I have always found the transfer thing interesting and even more interesting now that the portal is around. What do transfers do to players already on team and to morale. What is communicated to existing players and how? Did Vidlak get assurances that UM wouldn't bring in a bigger drop down? Would the coaches ever give that assurance? Did Britt know that NAU was about to bring in the Cal drop down, when he committed to NAU?

poorgriz said:
PTGrizzly said:

Exactly. PR still hasn’t publicly criticized Hauck for trying to recruit the Sac player, even though PR was super ticked about it and called the player dirty. Kinda sad how quick some people will drop their opinions, ignore their moral compass in order to stay buddies with the head coach.

I wasn't ticked that UM offered the Sac player. Didn't bother me at all. I kept my view of the Sac player and restated it on the board. Your last para is total BS. I don't care what Bobby does with the team. He's the coach. I'm sure he doesn't care what I do either.

PTGrizzly said:
CDAGRIZ said:
Mm-hmm, and how does it make you feel when he "can't do that"?

Could not care less how he or anybody posts. Ain’t nobody got time for that. I’m just pointing out the obvious. Like how you use your humorous nature to hide how little you know about everything else.

OK, and how does it make you feel when you think about how little I know? Does it anger you?

kemajic said:
uofmman1122 said:
Are you referring to McCoy? He actually started 2 games in 2021 (against us and EWU) and looked pretty terrible, but it goes to show that some guys can make big improvements from one year to the next.
Thanks; I knew he didn't burn a redshirt prior to last year. In '21, 15/32, 205 yards, 1 td, 4 ints. Lost EWU by 50 and UM by 20, so don't know how meaningful those snaps were.

If he only played in 2 games in 2021 then that was his redshirt year. Players can play and up to 4 games and redshirt that year, whether it be their freshman, sophomore, junior, or senior year that they do so

Griz Addict said:
uptopgriz said:
Neither of those qbs have taking a meaningful snap in a college game but you go with that.

Every player ever has had their first meaningful snap... that doesn't mean poop. You'll find out when they do. And I have faith in both of those QBs and can see us going further than we did last year. I feel a lot better about this QB room than I have in a long time.

I thought you were gonna bounce, Rosey?

What is blind confidence for 1000 Alex

mthoopsfan said:
Mavman said:

I have always found the transfer thing interesting and even more interesting now that the portal is around. What do transfers do to players already on team and to morale. What is communicated to existing players and how? Did Vidlak get assurances that UM wouldn't bring in a bigger drop down? Would the coaches ever give that assurance? Did Britt know that NAU was about to bring in the Cal drop down, when he committed to NAU?

It always amazes me how differently posters view the transfers. They act like Montana is the only school in the nation that deals with it or relies on transfers. Watch as closely to Alabama or Texas or Montana State or NDSU and they would see every program has a bunch of kids coming and going every year.

Also do people forget that all of Haucks previous Montana programs where we dominated every year always had a ton of drop down transfers that played significant roles?

BadlandsGrizFan said:
Griz Addict said:
Every player ever has had their first meaningful snap... that doesn't mean poop. You'll find out when they do. And I have faith in both of those QBs and can see us going further than we did last year. I feel a lot better about this QB room than I have in a long time.

I thought you were gonna bounce, Rosey?

What is blind confidence for 1000 Alex

What is how to be successful for 1000 alex.

BadlandsGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:

It always amazes me how differently posters view the transfers. They act like Montana is the only school in the nation that deals with it or relies on transfers. Watch as closely to Alabama or Texas or Montana State or NDSU and they would see every program has a bunch of kids coming and going every year.

Also do people forget that all of Haucks previous Montana programs where we dominated every year always had a ton of drop down transfers that played significant roles?

I'm really only discussing the QB position here. I think the portal is great for plugging holes and developing depth. I just think the Griz should be able to recruit and develop a 2-3 year starter at the qb position, whether it be a highschool or transfer.

mthoopsfan said:
Mavman said:

6th in the big sky—absolutely embarrassed in Bozeman and Fargo. The only reason we were in the playoffs was because of the fans. Let’s go with a down season.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

6th in the big sky—absolutely embarrassed in Bozeman and Fargo. The only reason we were in the playoffs was because of the fans. Let’s go with a down season.
Teams that don't belong in the playoffs don't get a convincing win.

mthoopsfan said:
Mavman said:

We have 3 strong candidates in Vidlak, Abbott and Huot, all with 3 years eligibility. We have an undemanding first half schedule next year to survive some growth pains. I would like to see two of these guys emerge and compliment each other in shared time. We had our down year this year; we can have a strong season with that QB scenario.

kemajic said:
uptopgriz said:
Teams that don't belong in the playoffs don't get a convincing win.

😂 the mean the team that was getting asses handed to them and had to come from behind to horrible tram at home?

Back