• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1 and Done

behappp said:
With Vidlak and Abbott on board, if we had a chance at a 1 and done Lucas Johnson quality QB, should we use a Scholly on him?
This is a hypothetical but not an improbable situation.
Would you risk losing Abbott next year?

100% yes, absolutely.

Copper Griz said:
grizcountry420 said:
I think if Johnson stayed healthy throughout the entire year our offense could compete with any of those teams you mentioned. After he got banged up, the level of his play fell through the floor. He could no longer get away from the pressure. He had a hard time throwing on the run. Felt like he was playing at 40%.

With that being said.. We need to have a solid backup that can run the offense just as good as the starter. We’ve had a hard time with that. Our offensive production took a nose dive after Johnson got injured. Too many 3 and outs. Play calling on offense became predictable. The defense was always on the field. They get gassed out, give up big play scores. Have to find a way to have a solid backup qb. Someone who can come in at anytime and still keep the offense rolling.

Without the right guys on the O line, it doesn’t matter who the QB is. This years o line was better, but still need to go next level in 2023. The guys are there. They have been putting the time in the weight room. I think 2023’s running backs will have a field day.

I agree.. they definitely had some up and downs this year. Hoping to see more improvements this year.

I think it’s been made clear that you don’t need to have an all American QB to win a title. In fact I think you just need a serviceable QB. If you have an OL and D that can win you games, just having a QB that can manage the game and win 2/3 situations when need him too is enough.

alabamagrizzly said:
Griz Addict said:
Uh no. Vidlak was not handed the reins. There will be a QB battle for the starting job and whoever wins, wins. Bobby wants people to compete for spots. The previous qbs he has brought in were light years better than the guys alrdy on the roster. That's why they started. Just like every team in the country would have done. We don't know what kind of offense will be ran this year. Vidlak is a prostyle qb. Abbott is a dual threat so the spread would be beneficial to him. They could easily run a multiple off and share reps with Vidlak n Abbott.

That’s good “coach speak” right there. Straight outta Bobby’s playbook. Pretty sure he said there would be a QB battle between DS and CH also. LJ may be the only QB who was publicly handed the reins on day one. I do agree the Abbott might be a better fit for our O but I think it’s Vidlak’s job to lose.

What "O" might we be speaking about? Trotting that hot garage out again this season and thinking a healthy QB is the difference is insanity. I've got to believe they'll make some substantive change - like maybe using the whole field for the passing game? Maybe get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, not going with the "ball goes where the ball goes" strategy as the answer to why things aren't going well.

grizcountry420 said:
Bok_Choi said:
My question to you. How do you find an effective offense, something that can consistently get yards on the ground, ala NDSU, SDSU, Bozeman?

I think if Johnson stayed healthy throughout the entire year our offense could compete with any of those teams you mentioned. After he got banged up, the level of his play fell through the floor. He could no longer get away from the pressure. He had a hard time throwing on the run. Felt like he was playing at 40%.

With that being said.. We need to have a solid backup that can run the offense just as good as the starter. We’ve had a hard time with that. Our offensive production took a nose dive after Johnson got injured. Too many 3 and outs. Play calling on offense became predictable. The defense was always on the field. They get gassed out, give up big play scores. Have to find a way to have a solid backup qb. Someone who can come in at anytime and still keep the offense rolling.

I agree with both of your paragraphs. Johnson was the key.

Bok_Choi said:
alabamagrizzly said:
That’s good “coach speak” right there. Straight outta Bobby’s playbook. Pretty sure he said there would be a QB battle between DS and CH also. LJ may be the only QB who was publicly handed the reins on day one. I do agree the Abbott might be a better fit for our O but I think it’s Vidlak’s job to lose.

What "O" might we be speaking about? Trotting that hot garage out again this season and thinking a healthy QB is the difference is insanity. I've got to believe they'll make some substantive change - like maybe using the whole field for the passing game? Maybe get the ball in the hands of the playmakers, not going with the "ball goes where the ball goes" strategy as the answer to why things aren't going well.

The O was good and sometimes very good when Johnson was healthy. I think the definition of insanity of looking at a set of clear facts and completely to completely the wrong conclusion every time.

mtgrizfankb said:
I think it’s been made clear that you don’t need to have an all American QB to win a title. In fact I think you just need a serviceable QB. If you have an OL and D that can win you games, just having a QB that can manage the game and win 2/3 situations when need him too is enough.

I don't agree with this at the college level. You need a very good qb, not a serviceable qb.

Copper Griz said:
grizcountry420 said:

Without the right guys on the O line, it doesn’t matter who the QB is. This years o line was better, but still need to go next level in 2023. The guys are there. They have been putting the time in the weight room. I think 2023’s running backs will have a field day.

I love a dominant o-line too, but I believe UM had a good enough line, with depth, to get to the semis or beyond with a fully healthy Johnson.

alabamagrizzly said:
My needs list in order

1. Offensives Lineman
2. Cornerback
3. Defensive Tackle
4. Offensive Lineman
5. Cornerback
6. Defensive Tackle
7. Sr QB w/ at least a year of real game experience
8. Any other position that’s a stud athlete, only after 1-7 have been filled

Except for running backs and maybe linebackers, o-line is one of UM's stronger position groups and has nice depth, in my view.

Bok_Choi said:
Your hypothtical backstory is missing.

Vidlak is here because Abbott, Huot, et.al, aren't ready to take the reins. At this point, no one has any idea if they ever will be. Even if they were, minus Brown, (still on the roster) they're awfully young at the position. If the injury bug bites, or because, ineffective, or both, you're down to the third string guy - where have you seen that movie before?

Vidlak didn't come to compete, he's already been anointed as the guy. Just like Johnson and Sneed before him. So if you use this for the backstory, the answer to your question is yes, you do your best to find a backup. Perhaps a tall order given someone with those skills might actually expect a shot a playing. I'm not sure it's prudent to assume you can find another Cam Humphrey, a guy willing to wait his turn. Maybe, maybe not. How do you think Vidlak would have reacted if you'd have sprung Johnson on him in a week or two?

Rolling the dice on the season just like was done this past one, based on what's on the roster, will likely get you what you already got.

My question to you. How do you find an effective offense, something that can consistently get yards on the ground, ala NDSU, SDSU, Bozeman?

I would doubt that Vidlak has been named the guy. I have seen no indication that he has been named the guy. Are you just making this up?

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:

The O was good and sometimes very good when Johnson was healthy.

Again, we can beat the healthy Johnson thing into the ground until September, but the reality is one win, versus a team with a winning record - SEMO. And that game was a loss even with a healthy Johnson, unless Bergen and Flowers come through. Johnson had already spotted them a TD that day & SEMO's offense was more than a match for the GRIZ defense.

Frankly, I'd take Idaho's offensive philosophy right now. Limit the other team's possessions and overall TOP. If they could make it work, it would make the most sense for the style of defense Montana runs, getting them off the field for long enough to have them fresh for a playoff run. They spent forty minutes on the field against Idaho. Wear and tear, along with exhaustion, are what makes for missed tackles in playoff games.

Three seasons in the last fifteen where a Griz QB went the distance. That's documented. So having more than one QB who can produce is key. There is no more important position on the field. No one wants their entire season hinging on the health of one guy. Not the 107 other teammates and ten coaches and countless staff folks who fight their asses off the whole season as well.

mthoopsfan said:
Bok_Choi said:
Your hypothtical backstory is missing.

Vidlak is here because Abbott, Huot, et.al, aren't ready to take the reins. At this point, no one has any idea if they ever will be. Even if they were, minus Brown, (still on the roster) they're awfully young at the position. If the injury bug bites, or because, ineffective, or both, you're down to the third string guy - where have you seen that movie before?

Vidlak didn't come to compete, he's already been anointed as the guy. Just like Johnson and Sneed before him. So if you use this for the backstory, the answer to your question is yes, you do your best to find a backup. Perhaps a tall order given someone with those skills might actually expect a shot a playing. I'm not sure it's prudent to assume you can find another Cam Humphrey, a guy willing to wait his turn. Maybe, maybe not. How do you think Vidlak would have reacted if you'd have sprung Johnson on him in a week or two?

Rolling the dice on the season just like was done this past one, based on what's on the roster, will likely get you what you already got.

I would doubt that Vidlak has been named the guy. I have seen no indication that he has been named the guy. Are you just making this up?

I'm not sure it makes a difference who's in the QB room. There's not a coach on our staff with a track record of developing a QB.

Bok_Choi said:
mthoopsfan said:
The O was good and sometimes very good when Johnson was healthy.

Again, we can beat the healthy Johnson thing into the ground until September, but the reality is one win, versus a team with a winning record - SEMO. And that game was a loss even with a healthy Johnson, unless Bergen and Flowers come through. Johnson had already spotted them a TD that day & SEMO's offense was more than a match for the GRIZ defense.

Frankly, I'd take Idaho's offensive philosophy right now. Limit the other team's possessions and overall TOP. If they could make it work, it would make the most sense for the style of defense Montana runs, getting them off the field for long enough to have them fresh for a playoff run. They spent forty minutes on the field against Idaho. Wear and tear, along with exhaustion, are what makes for missed tackles in playoff games.

Three seasons in the last fifteen where a Griz QB went the distance. That's documented. So having more than one QB who can produce is key. There is no more important position on the field. No one wants their entire season hinging on the health of one guy. Not the 107 other teammates and ten coaches and countless staff folks who fight their asses off the whole season as well.

That's the point. With Johnson healthy, UM would have beaten more good teams. As it was, UM lost only to playoff teams, 3 of which were seeded and one of which some people thought should have been seeded. In my view, in this situation, using the UM only beat one team with a wining record argument is indicate that UM wasn't very good is just plain stupid. UM didn't lose to a non-playoff team. How's that?

Yes, UM, like every team, needs to have at least one and maybe two good back-up qb's. That's what Hauck and the coaches try to do. Sometimes it happens; sometimes it doesn't.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I'm not sure it makes a difference who's in the QB room. There's not a coach on our staff with a track record of developing a QB.

Oh, BS.

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:

Oh, BS.

Brown has declined and even you said that Britt declined from being named scout team player of the year. The one thing we can be assured of is that the qbs will get worse arross the year.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

Brown has declined and even you said that Britt declined from being named scout team player of the year. The one thing we can be assured of is that the qbs will get worse arross the year.

I don't think Brown declined. I also don't think the QBs get worse.

uptopgriz said:
mthoopsfan said:

I don’t think Brown declined. I didn’t say Britt declined.
I said he didn’t step up in the spring and have a good spring. That was on him not the coaches. I don’t put much stock in scout player of the year.

I think the reason Britt left is that he was 3rd string last year and never given enough snaps in practice or in games to show his stuff. Then when LJ went down the job was given to Brown and even though he wasn't any better than average, we didn't go to Britt.
With no experienced QBs we will have to give a lot of practice time to whoever they determine is the #1 QB and #2 will have to get some.
Bringing in a #1 Sr QB means that either Vidlak or Abbott will be unhappy next year as Britt was this year.
Keeping both Abbott and Vidlak gives us a chance to have 2 QBs for this year and 2 likely more years.
When was the last time that Hauck went into the season with 2 QBs with as little game experience as what we have now?

These have got to be the questions that Hauck has to consider. Seems to me that he is usually thinking that he would rather have the experienced Jr. or Sr. QB than trust undeveloped underclassmen.

Back