• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

1 and Done

mthoopsfan said:
uptopgriz said:
Brown has declined and even you said that Britt declined from being named scout team player of the year. The one thing we can be assured of is that the qbs will get worse arross the year.

I don’t think Brown declined. I didn’t say Britt declined.
I said he didn’t step up in the spring and have a good spring. That was on him not the coaches. I don’t put much stock in scout player of the year.

You should, they have a very long history of success at the U.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:
I don’t think Brown declined. I didn’t say Britt declined.
I said he didn’t step up in the spring and have a good spring. That was on him not the coaches. I don’t put much stock in scout player of the year.

Why don't you give us a list of the Scout Team Players of the Year, who have had big success? I'd like to see how many of them turned out to be top players in their class.

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Why don't you give us a list of the Scout Team Players of the Year, who have had big success? I'd like to see how many of them turned out to be top players in their class.

‘18 QB Garret Graves
‘16 WR Samuel Akem
‘15 WR Colin Bingham
‘12 QB Brady Gustafson
‘05 TE Dan Beaudin
‘92 QB Dave Dickenson

That’s just a few that I can think of. I’m sure there’s plenty more.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

‘18 QB Garret Graves
‘16 WR Samuel Akem
‘15 WR Colin Bingham
‘12 QB Brady Gustafson
‘05 TE Dan Beaudin
‘92 QB Dave Dickenson

I believe Dante Olson was as well.

alabamagrizzly said:
mthoopsfan said:

‘18 QB Garret Graves
‘16 WR Samuel Akem
‘15 WR Colin Bingham
‘12 QB Brady Gustafson
‘05 TE Dan Beaudin
‘92 QB Dave Dickenson

I think winning the award is a great honor that shows the player put in a ton of work and helped prep the Griz defense every week, but it's not necessarily a great indicator of success on the field later on for the Griz.

For every Sammy Akem and Dave Dickenson, you have guys like Nate Dick, Jesse Owens (still sad he decided to leave), Makena Simis, and DJ Zappata. Again, not trying to downplay the award or these guys, but simply winning it isn't some surefire indicator that the player will go on to be a star, or even have an impact at all, so saying "he declined from scout team player of the year" doesn't really mean anything.

uofmman1122 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
‘18 QB Garret Graves
‘16 WR Samuel Akem
‘15 WR Colin Bingham
‘12 QB Brady Gustafson
‘05 TE Dan Beaudin
‘92 QB Dave Dickenson

I think winning the award is a great honor that shows the player put in a ton of work and helped prep the Griz defense every week, but it's not necessarily a great indicator of success on the field later on for the Griz.

For every Sammy Akem and Dave Dickenson, you have guys like Nate Dick, Jesse Owens (still sad he decided to leave), Makena Simis, and DJ Zappata. Again, not trying to downplay the award or these guys, but simply winning it isn't some surefire indicator that the player will go on to be a star, or even have an impact at all, so saying "he declined from scout team player of the year" doesn't really mean anything.

Oh for sure, definitely not saying that it’s a guarantee they’ll be great. Just pointing out some great ones that have earned it. PR said he puts no stock in the award and I was just pointing out that it can definitely show some signs of early greatness in some players.

AZGrizFan said:
alabamagrizzly said:
‘18 QB Garret Graves
‘16 WR Samuel Akem
‘15 WR Colin Bingham
‘12 QB Brady Gustafson
‘05 TE Dan Beaudin
‘92 QB Dave Dickenson

I believe Dante Olson was as well.

Yup, and the defensive list is actually a better indicator of future success. I was only listing offensive players cus we were talking about Daniel Britt.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Oh for sure, definitely not saying that it’s a guarantee they’ll be great. Just pointing out some great ones that have earned it. PR said he puts no stock in the award and I was just pointing out that it can definitely show some signs of early greatness in some players.

It also sometimes doesn't show anything. So, I don't put much stock in it. And then you try to tell me I should. I didn't tell you that you shouldn't; you shouldn't tell me what to do either. It is basically learning the other team's O or D, as suggested by the coaches, and working hard to replicate it. Any frosh who worked hard at it, could be the scout player of the year. It's not like the player of the year is going to be the next starting qb for the Griz. Why do posters say such dumb things?

mthoopsfan said:
alabamagrizzly said:

It also sometimes doesn't show anything. So, I don't put much stock in it. And then you try to tell me I should. I didn't tell you that you shouldn't; you shouldn't tell me what to do either. It is basically learning the other team's O or D, as suggested by the coaches, and working hard to replicate it. Any frosh who worked hard at it, could be the scout player of the year. It's not like the player of the year is going to be the next starting qb for the Griz. Why do posters say such dumb things?

Agreed.

alabamagrizzly said:
uofmman1122 said:

Both good points, but it's so subjective. I wouldn't call the list Alabama provided as all "great" players. Definitely some there but mostly effective impact players at times in their career. Just a side note, Graves still has his best year ahead of him. I want to see him come out on fire next year.

Alaska Griz said:
alabamagrizzly said:

Both good points, but it's so subjective. I wouldn't call the list Alabama provided as all "great" players. Definitely some there but mostly effective impact players at times in their career. Just a side note, Graves still has his best year ahead of him. I want to see him come out on fire next year.

Better hope. Bobby wasted the first two years of that kid’s career in the QB room. Imagine where he’d be (developmentally) if he’d put him where he belonged from the get go?

AZGrizFan said:
Alaska Griz said:

Better hope. Bobby wasted the first two years of that kid’s career in the QB room. Imagine where he’d be (developmentally) if he’d put him where he belonged from the get go?

If Britt had had a good spring, he might have earned a higher status. Don’t you think players need to work hard, perform, and earn their spot. Just think if had spent more time listening to the coaches and working, instead of complaining.

mthoopsfan said:
AZGrizFan said:

If Britt had had a good spring, he might have earned a higher status. Don’t you think players need to work hard, perform, and earn their spot. Just think if had spent more time listening to the coaches and working, instead of complaining.
I think he's talking about Graves here.

uofmman1122 said:
mthoopsfan said:
I think he's talking about Graves here.

My bad. I don’t think Graves early years were wasted.

AZGrizFan said:
mthoopsfan said:
My bad. I don’t think Graves early years were wasted.

Why not? Honestly curious…
IIRC, he already played a lot of special teams even when he was a QB, and I don't think that would've changed all that much in those first 2 years if he was a safety, instead. I guess running more defense in camps/practice might've been beneficial, though.

AZGrizFan said:
Alaska Griz said:

I've known Garrett for awhile. I mentioned him because I am rooting for him to do well, not because he hasn't. I think he is a really good player already. Was just commenting that I hope he stays healthy and has a great year. He was a scout team QB his redshirt year. That's it. He was a wr and special teams ace his freshmen year. He has started or played in every game since his sophomore season as a safety. I certainly don't believe his time was wasted. Nor does he to my knowledge. If anything they found ways to get him on the field earlier than if he had been just a saftey. Also, I'm not sure if you realize it, but it's not always as simple as putting someone somwhere. The athlete often has a say in where they start out when they sign.

Alaska Griz said:
AZGrizFan said:

I've known Garrett for awhile. I mentioned him because I am rooting for him to do well, not because he hasn't. I think he is a really good player already. Was just commenting that I hope he stays healthy and has a great year. He was a scout team QB his redshirt year. That's it. He was a wr and special teams ace his freshmen year. He has started or played in every game since his sophomore season as a safety. I certainly don't believe his time was wasted. Nor does he to my knowledge. If anything they found ways to get him on the field earlier than if he had been just a saftey. Also, I'm not sure if you realize it, but it's not always as simple as putting someone somewhere. Hindsight is 20/20, but the athlete often has a say in where they start out when they choose to commit.

Back