• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Time to Face the Facts: There Ain’t Gonna be Fall Football

Will there be fall football in the Big Sky Conference in 2020?

• Yes

Votes: 35 42.7%
  • No

Votes: 42 51.2%
  • Bobcats Suck

Votes: 38 46.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
BozAngelesGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
Mainly it’s just a stat. I didn’t use it to argue anything.

It’s also contrary to the impression given by the media. In terms of the states. Not dem or Repub.

Why are you so defensive about it?

How is it contrary to the impression given by the media, when you got it from the media? Not defensive, still trying to wrap my head around the relevance.

Because the bulk of the media was saying something different and pointing fingers at other states. See the Wa Post article-opinion I quoted above.

oldrunner said:
PlayerRep said:
From what I've read, the other damage to younger people is not prevalent at all, and, in my view, is being hyped by the media.

For college sports, I don't see a big potential legal issue. Players, coaches, trainers will make informed decisions, and so will fans, if any.
I'm certainly not saying that there can not be a safe way to do this, or even that the reward for having the season isn't worth the risk. I want there to be a season as much as anyone. I just think that there are people who are more informed than any of us that should be listened to and that planning needs to be well thought out.

I agree.

mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:
What, exactly, is the health risk to the players? The death rate for those under 25 has three zeros after the decimal point before you get to a crooked number.

The problem is that those players infected interact with other humans and infect them.

Do you think players not playing football don’t interact with people? Heck, at least, most UM players would be in Missoula and not home infecting their parents and grandparents. And, during the season, they are supposed to stay out of downtown bars.

grizindabox said:
Let me ask this. How can someone prevent dying in an auto accident? How can someone prevent dying from a heart attack? How can someone prevent dying from the flu? How can someone prevent dying from Covid?

Live to be 90 and die from being shot in a motel room by a jealous husband!

MikeyGriz said:
grizindabox said:
Let me ask this. How can someone prevent dying in an auto accident? How can someone prevent dying from a heart attack? How can someone prevent dying from the flu? How can someone prevent dying from Covid?

Live to be 90 and die from being shot in a motel room by a jealous husband!
Now, that sounds like a plan!

PlayerRep said:
mcg said:
The problem is that those players infected interact with other humans and infect them.

Do you think players not playing football don’t interact with people? Heck, at least, most UM players would be in Missoula and not home infecting their parents and grandparents. And, during the season, they are supposed to stay out of downtown bars.
They didn’t when I was a bartender.

AZGrizFan said:
Spanky2 said:
I’m surprised that the UM administration apparently is still considering having any form of a football season. There are far too many health risks for everyone including players, coaches, staff, students, parents.

What, exactly, is the health risk to the players? The death rate for those under 25 has three zeros after the decimal point before you get to a crooked number.

Yes, the players will likely have minimal effects if they get it, but they will be contagious, and they will be contagious before they even know they have it. So then they go visit their parents and give them a present they do not want and they die.

TrueGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Yes, the players will likely have minimal effects if they get it, but they will be contagious, and they will be contagious before they even know they have it. So then they go visit their parents and give them a present they do not want and they die.

or his girlfriends parents

TrueGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

So better to have them in Missoula away from their parents.

mcg said:
AZGrizFan said:

Only people comfortable enough to be interacting. If lockdowns and business closures work, couldn’t those people just stay home? I guarantee you if i was afraid of this virus I could take steps to avoid the virus. You know, like we’ve been told to do for 5 months....

TrueGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

So no football. And probably no class. And probably shouldn’t live in an apartment or near people. Definitely shouldn’t go to a gas station or grocery store. No chance of eating out. Wouldn’t recommend meeting up with friends. Girlfriends out the window. Can’t have a job, too risky. Hope they’re not religious; churches far too dangerous.

ilovethecats said:
TrueGriz said:

So no football. And probably no class. And probably shouldn’t live in an apartment or near people. Definitely shouldn’t go to a gas station or grocery store. No chance of eating out. Wouldn’t recommend meeting up with friends. Girlfriends out the window. Can’t have a job, too risky. Hope they’re not religious; churches far too dangerous.

Well, if everybody in the world would just go lock themselves in a closet by themselves for 3 months at the same time, the virus would go away. May not need 3 months but just to be on the safe side.

ilovethecats said:
TrueGriz said:

Sounds like you're getting it. :thumb:

There have been 54 deaths in Montana from the virus. That is the situation we are all facing and yes, even churches are challenged.

TrueGriz said:
ilovethecats said:

Well, if everybody in the world would just go lock themselves in a closet by themselves for 3 months at the same time, the virus would go away. May not need 3 months but just to be on the safe side.

"15 days to flatten the curve." Remember that? :)

Spanky2 said:
AzGrizfan, I agree with mcg. Also, when health risks are considered, deaths certainly are a factor along with the possible complications for the remainder of the student-athletes life. We know little about the virus, thus, the complications could be many and serious.

az and the boys know everything about the virus, they got their degrees from facebook medical school!

PlayerRep said:
argh! said:
doesn't mean much without knowing the populations of the states, and you know it. it seems you really have joined the cult of trump, who ignore the endless lies and exaggerations. thought you were smarter than that, but there you go. this graph shows the states with the biggest increases in cases recently, adjusted for population. other than montana, not too many states run by dems in the worst 20 or so states in this one,:

Place Total reported deaths per 100k New deaths in last 7 days per 100k Pct. change
Texas 21 5 +35%
Montana 5 1 +29%
South Carolina 32 6 +22%
Idaho 9 1 +19%
Florida 31 5 +18%
Arizona 50 7 +16%
Alaska 3 0 +16%
Virgin Islands 8 1 +14%
Puerto Rico 6 1 +14%
Alabama 32 4 +13%
Arkansas 14 2 +13%
Tennessee 15 2 +13%
Oregon 7 1 +12%
Oklahoma 13 1 +11%
Delaware 61 6 +10%
Utah 9 1 +10%
Mississippi 52 5 +10%
North Carolina 18 2 +10%
West Virginia 6 0 +9%
South Dakota 15 1 +8%
California 22 2 +8%
Nevada 26 2 +8%
Georgia 35 2 +7%
Kentucky 16 1 +6%
North Dakota 14 1 +6%
New Mexico 30 2 +6%
Louisiana 83 5 +6%
Kansas 12 1 +6%
Washington 21 1 +5%
Wisconsin 16 1 +5%
Missouri 20 1 +5%
Ohio 29 1 +5%
Iowa 27 1 +4%
Hawaii 2 0 +4%
Wyoming 4 0 +4%
Virginia 25 1 +4%
Nebraska 17 1 +3%
Maine 9 0 +3%
Minnesota 29 1 +2%
Maryland 58 1 +2%
Indiana 44 1 +2%
Colorado 33 1 +2%
New Hampshire 30 1 +2%
Pennsylvania 56 1 +1%
Illinois 60 1 +1%
Rhode Island 95 1 +1%
Massachusetts 125 1 +1%
District of Columbia 85 1 +1%
New Jersey 178 1 +1%
Michigan 64 0

The quote was from an opinion piece in the Washington Post. Here's more of it.

"Headlines on this newspaper’s website this past weekend focused on Florida — “Coronavirus ravaged Florida, as Ron DeSantis sidelined scientists and followed Trump” — and imperiled Republicans in the Senate — “As pandemic limits scrutiny, GOP fears lesser-known Democratic candidates will steamroll to Senator majority.” (Florida became the state with the second-highest number of cases over the weekend, surpassing New York.)
The awful metrics of covid-19 deaths tell a different story, according to data kept current by Johns Hopkins University. New York has suffered 32,645 deaths; New Jersey 15,804; California 8,455; Illinois 7,608; Pennsylvania 7,131; and Michigan 6,405 fatalities. All of these states have Democratic governors.
AD

Republicans hold statehouses in some big states and there the counts look like this: Florida has seen 5,931 deaths, Texas with 5,085 fatalities and Ohio with 3,344. Arizona, also with a GOP governor, has 3,304 dead. Thus, of the 10 states with the most fatalities, the six highest tolls are all in states with Democratic leadership. Republicans run the virus response in states ranked seventh through 10th in this grim lineup.
Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic

How often have you seen those harshest of facts? Instead, the headlines trumpet new cases, where California leads with 453,155 cases, Florida with 432,747, New York with 412,344 cases and Texas with 394,927. Case numbers follow population totals fairly closely, but Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is pummeled by New York and Beltway media, while New York’s Andrew M. Cuomo (D) gets at least a pass and often praise."

So, reading and quoting the WaPost puts me in the "cult of Trump"? Now that's pretty funny.

In deaths per capita, there are 12 states and DC ahead of nos. 7-10, in terms of virus deaths.
AZ is 14th, Flo. is 22d, AZ is 20th, and Ohio is 21st.

Perhaps you should do some research before you jump to conclusions and post stupid stuff.

fla gets pummeled by media because they are a current hot spot, and did stupid shit like open the beaches. ny and nyc should have gotten pummeled by the media, because their response was pathetic, but when they realized how bad it was they didn't go and make it worse by opening times square...

argh! said:
PlayerRep said:
The quote was from an opinion piece in the Washington Post. Here's more of it.

"Headlines on this newspaper’s website this past weekend focused on Florida — “Coronavirus ravaged Florida, as Ron DeSantis sidelined scientists and followed Trump” — and imperiled Republicans in the Senate — “As pandemic limits scrutiny, GOP fears lesser-known Democratic candidates will steamroll to Senator majority.” (Florida became the state with the second-highest number of cases over the weekend, surpassing New York.)
The awful metrics of covid-19 deaths tell a different story, according to data kept current by Johns Hopkins University. New York has suffered 32,645 deaths; New Jersey 15,804; California 8,455; Illinois 7,608; Pennsylvania 7,131; and Michigan 6,405 fatalities. All of these states have Democratic governors.
AD

Republicans hold statehouses in some big states and there the counts look like this: Florida has seen 5,931 deaths, Texas with 5,085 fatalities and Ohio with 3,344. Arizona, also with a GOP governor, has 3,304 dead. Thus, of the 10 states with the most fatalities, the six highest tolls are all in states with Democratic leadership. Republicans run the virus response in states ranked seventh through 10th in this grim lineup.
Full coverage of the coronavirus pandemic

How often have you seen those harshest of facts? Instead, the headlines trumpet new cases, where California leads with 453,155 cases, Florida with 432,747, New York with 412,344 cases and Texas with 394,927. Case numbers follow population totals fairly closely, but Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis (R) is pummeled by New York and Beltway media, while New York’s Andrew M. Cuomo (D) gets at least a pass and often praise."

So, reading and quoting the WaPost puts me in the "cult of Trump"? Now that's pretty funny.

In deaths per capita, there are 12 states and DC ahead of nos. 7-10, in terms of virus deaths.
AZ is 14th, Flo. is 22d, AZ is 20th, and Ohio is 21st.

Perhaps you should do some research before you jump to conclusions and post stupid stuff.

fla gets pummeled by media because they are a current hot spot, and did stupid shit like open the beaches. ny and nyc should have gotten pummeled by the media, because their response was pathetic, but when they realized how bad it was they didn't go and make it worse by opening times square...

Is it true that third world countries that have miserable health care systems, but where malaria (along with stockpiles of hydroxychloroquine) is present are using hydroxy as both a prophylactic and early treatment, seem to have some of the lowest infection rates, hospitalization rates, and death rates on the planet? If so, given how safe and cheap the drug is, perhaps consideration should be given to giving everyone who enters the stadium on game day a healthy dose and lets play ball?

Spanky2 said:
There have been 54 deaths in Montana from the virus. That is the situation we are all facing and yes, even churches are challenged.

And how many Montana highway traffic fatalities this year?

horribilisfan8184 said:
Is it true that third world countries that have miserable health care systems, but where malaria (along with stockpiles of hydroxychloroquine) is present are using hydroxy as both a prophylactic and early treatment, seem to have some of the lowest infection rates, hospitalization rates, and death rates on the planet? If so, given how safe and cheap the drug is, perhaps consideration should be given to giving everyone who enters the stadium on game day a healthy dose and lets play ball?

Speaking of Hydroxychlor, see the below quote and terrific Newsweek article by the well-know Yale prof on the subject. This opinion piece is truly worth reading.

"The Key to Defeating COVID-19 Already Exists. We Need to Start Using It"

"As professor of epidemiology at Yale School of Public Health, I have authored over 300 peer-reviewed publications and currently hold senior positions on the editorial boards of several leading journals. I am usually accustomed to advocating for positions within the mainstream of medicine, so have been flummoxed to find that, in the midst of a crisis, I am fighting for a treatment that the data fully support but which, for reasons having nothing to do with a correct understanding of the science, has been pushed to the sidelines. As a result, tens of thousands of patients with COVID-19 are dying unnecessarily. Fortunately, the situation can be reversed easily and quickly.

I am referring, of course, to the medication hydroxychloroquine. When this inexpensive oral medication is given very early in the course of illness, before the virus has had time to multiply beyond control, it has shown to be highly effective, especially when given in combination with the antibiotics azithromycin or doxycycline and the nutritional supplement zinc.

On May 27, I published an article in the American Journal of Epidemiology (AJE) entitled, "Early Outpatient Treatment of Symptomatic, High-Risk COVID-19 Patients that Should be Ramped-Up Immediately as Key to the Pandemic Crisis." That article, published in the world's leading epidemiology journal, analyzed five studies, demonstrating clear-cut and significant benefits to treated patients, plus other very large studies that showed the medication safety.

Since publication of my May 27 article, seven more studies have demonstrated similar benefit. In a lengthy follow-up letter, also published by AJE, I discuss these seven studies and renew my call for the immediate early use of hydroxychloroquine in high-risk patients. These seven studies include: an additional 400 high-risk patients treated by Dr. Vladimir Zelenko, with zero deaths; four studies totaling almost 500 high-risk patients treated in nursing homes and clinics across the U.S., with no deaths; a controlled trial of more than 700 high-risk patients in Brazil, with significantly reduced risk of hospitalization and two deaths among 334 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine; and another study of 398 matched patients in France, also with significantly reduced hospitalization risk. Since my letter was published, even more doctors have reported to me their completely successful use.
https://www.newsweek.com/key-defeating-covid-19-already-exists-we-need-start-using-it-opinion-1519535

"Yale Epidemiology Prof Says That Hydroxychloroquine Could Save 100K Lives But It’s Been Politicized"

https://clashdaily.com/2020/07/yale-epidemiology-prof-says-that-hydroxychloroquine-could-save-100k-lives-but-its-been-politicized/

Latest posts

Back