• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Should football be cancelled If too many players test positive for colds and flu?

PlayerRep

This is obviously an honest question.

If too many football players get coldS or the flu this summer or fall, should football and fall sports be cancelled?

I mean, it’s not coronavirus that they’re testing for, and the flus not even really around in the summer. I’m not sure that’s really something to be overly worried about.

giphy.gif

Is this a serious question or are you tryIng to be sardonic? I have never had or heard of being tested for the cold virus, is there one? If a player tested positive for a flu then I would think they would test and try and isolate and still play. IMHO

Berkeley_Griz said:
Nobody has time for testing; if a player has the sniffles, you shut it down!

The great Depression followed by WW2 and people now can't be bothered for 4 to 5 months.

Good thing our parents saved our ass, we couldn't do it.

Based off some recent research I’ve been doing and the recent death trends/case trends, I’d say it’s trending very favorably for the “panic” portion of the pandemic to have worn out it’s welcome by mid-August.

Daily deaths down 90% since 4/21.
7 day moving average of deaths down 72% since 4/21
Weekly deaths down for 8 straight weeks

All in the face of new “hot spots” popping up in a few spots around the country. The new cases seem to be skewed towards the younger, healthier generation and the death rate has dropped dramatically. Either the virus is burning itself out or it’s been around a lot longer than previously thought...regardless, unless there’s a dramatic shift in the death curve/trends, I think it bodes well for fall/winter sports.

I wonder how many good players will have their careers ended if they get covid19? there are those healthy people who have recovered but they are still having difficulty with breathing and energy levels and have elevated heart rates.

retiredpopo said:
I wonder how many good players will have their careers ended if they get covid19? .

Just a prediction but I'd guess somewhere about .00006524% of "good" players, or even just "players" will have their careers ended by Covid.

Time will tell.....

ilovethecats said:
retiredpopo said:
I wonder how many good players will have their careers ended if they get covid19? .

Just a prediction but I'd guess somewhere about .00006524% of "good" players, or even just "players" will have their careers ended by Covid.

Time will tell.....
Yes it will. Noticed on the evening news that virus cases are up in Montana, Wyoming. I doubt careers will be ended, but I suspect that some of these young athletes will be very sick if they get the virus. As a father, I might not be too excited about my son or daughter competing at a distant campus during the pandemic prior to a vaccine.

Young adults have a much greater risk of severe illness and death from the flu than they do from covid. Since we never cancel football seasons for the flu, I say we shouldn't for covid either.

From the following article:

"Second, newsflash, college kids are far more likely to die of pneumonia or the flu than they are the coronavirus.

Yet I’ve never heard anyone call for the cancellation of any college sporting event over either pneumonia or the flu.

The reality is college kids are more likely to die driving to campus for workouts than they are from the coronavirus.

And they all know it!

Which is why they’re out chasing girls.

As long as we don’t start playing football games at nursing homes, we’re going to be fine."

https://outkick.com/media-ignores-90-coronavirus-death-collapse-in-country/

AZGrizFan said:
Based off some recent research I’ve been doing and the recent death trends/case trends, I’d say it’s trending very favorably for the “panic” portion of the pandemic to have worn out it’s welcome by mid-August.

All in the face of new “hot spots” popping up in a few spots around the country. The new cases seem to be skewed towards the younger, healthier generation and the death rate has dropped dramatically. Either the virus is burning itself out or it’s been around a lot longer than previously thought...regardless, unless there’s a dramatic shift in the death curve/trends, I think it bodes well for fall/winter sports.

Meanwhile Texas is seeing record Hospitalization rates and ICU beds filling as the governor looks at restricting how open the state is. He is now telling people to stay home. Arizona and Florida will be in the same boat soon

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/23/spread-is-so-rampant-texas-hits-all-time-high-of-more-than-5k-new-covid-19-cases-gov-greg-abbott-says/

Da Boyz Mom said:
Young adults have a much greater risk of severe illness and death from the flu than they do from covid. Since we never cancel football seasons for the flu, I say we shouldn't for covid either.

"Second, newsflash, college kids are far more likely to die of pneumonia or the flu than they are the coronavirus.

Yet I’ve never heard anyone call for the cancellation of any college sporting event over either pneumonia or the flu.

The reality is college kids are more likely to die driving to campus for workouts than they are from the coronavirus.

And they all know it!

As long as we don’t start playing football games at nursing homes, we’re going to be fine."

I hope you’re right.

p8nted said:
AZGrizFan said:

Meanwhile Texas is seeing record Hospitalization rates and ICU beds filling as the governor looks at restricting how open the state is. He is now telling people to stay home. Arizona and Florida will be in the same boat soon

https://www.dallasnews.com/news/public-health/2020/06/23/spread-is-so-rampant-texas-hits-all-time-high-of-more-than-5k-new-covid-19-cases-gov-greg-abbott-says/

Well they just mandated masks in my county in TX, which is fine. Protocols are going to be in place for a while. Shutting down the economy again? Not an option.

Da Boyz Mom said:

And they all know it!

You’re rapidly becoming my favorite poster. :clap: :clap:

Spanky2 said:
Da Boyz Mom said:

And they all know it!

I hope you’re right.

This is the reality of the data. Cases are up (duh cumulative cases are always going to go up) and in some states like Florida even if the percentage of positive tests is going up the death rate is going down and the hospitalizations are down 44% since April, because young people are testing positives and almost none of them have had serious issues.

The flu virus has a vaccine. The death rate associated with it is far less than with Covid. Are college players going to get sick if they contract Covid? Probably, but most will recover without complications. The real worry is who are they transmitting it to? An elderly at risk individual or just younger kids in their peer group? A virus doesn’t care how young you are, who you hang with or what your bank account says. Transmission is the real risk. Until we get a vaccine we have the debate of -
Let it run its course and infect people until we reach 70-80% and build antibodies OR wear a mask, use very precautionary measures and try to keep hospital beds/ventilators open for patients. I don’t have an answer, but I don’t make light of a situation where people are on their death bed. If your family member was fighting for their life some of you might not have such cavalier attitudes. I hope football happens and it will be a major downer if the season doesn’t commence as usual. It would also be a bigger downer if fellow Americans died because we didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to be responsible and sacrifice for others. Welcome to the generation of me me me. Yes, that generation starts with the boomers.

Copper Griz said:
The flu virus has a vaccine. The death rate associated with it is far less than with Covid. Are college players going to get sick if they contract Covid? Probably, but most will recover without complications. The real worry is who are they transmitting it to? An elderly at risk individual or just younger kids in their peer group? A virus doesn’t care how young you are, who you hang with or what your bank account says. Transmission is the real risk. Until we get a vaccine we have the debate of -
Let it run its course and infect people until we reach 70-80% and build antibodies OR wear a mask, use very precautionary measures and try to keep hospital beds/ventilators open for patients. I don’t have an answer, but I don’t make light of a situation where people are on their death bed. If your family member was fighting for their life some of you might not have such cavalier attitudes. I hope football happens and it will be a major downer if the season doesn’t commence as usual. It would also be a bigger downer if fellow Americans died because we didn’t have the intestinal fortitude to be responsible and sacrifice for others. Welcome to the generation of me me me. Yes, that generation starts with the boomers.

Well said. :thumb:

WaGriz4life said:
Spanky2 said:
I hope you’re right.

This is the reality of the data. Cases are up (duh cumulative cases are always going to go up) and in some states like Florida even if the percentage of positive tests is going up the death rate is going down and the hospitalizations are down 44% since April, because young people are testing positives and almost none of them have had serious issues.

I don’t have the answers and I don’t think you do either. You used the word almost which would suggest that some of them have had serious issues.
Many of the people on this board continue to compare the virus to flu and pneumonia. There is a vaccine for both. Nothing for the virus.

Back