• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

More FYI to chew on....Kemp and JJ

mtgrizrule

This link has updated stats through Sunday, Oct 2. Yes, UNC is lower ranked defensively in yards, but the difference between them, Sac State, and Cal Poly is not great enough to support JJ being that much better than Kemp. Looks like a pretty dead heat to me. :thumb:

There is only a 50 yard per game difference between UNC and Sac State. Yet, Kemp did not turnover the ball, and well JJ made Sac State's Defense look like world beaters. Meanwhile Kemp made UNC's defense look as bad as stats show. So shouldn't have JJ made Sac's defense look just as bad, or almost as bad?

JJ had one great half against Poly, which is only 29 yards per game better than UNC.
Again, Kemp took care of the ball, and impacted the game much more than JJ did.

Kemp did it for 4 quarters, and JJ had 2 good quarters of 8. Come on people, there is not much difference between these defenses. JJ struggled 6 of 8 quarters against not so good FCS defenses.

Tennessee, Kemp got one series of his own, and led a TD drive.
Against Sac, he got one series of his own, and yet another TD drive.

Kemp has not cost the GRIZ any points, and has not given the opponents any better field position. I honestly believe Kemp is much more ready to be the main man than JJ, at least this year. Once again, I like JJ, but just think people have been, and still are selling Kemp short.

Flame away. :thumb:

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/current/team/1042/p3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

101 Fordham 4 286 1717 6.00 15 429.25
102 Yale 3 221 1294 5.86 10 431.33
103 South Dakota St. 5 353 2175 6.16 27 435.00
104 Sacramento St. 5 360 2193 6.09 22 438.60
105 Weber St. 5 358 2196 6.13 20 439.20
106 Georgia St. 4 288 1788 6.21 19 447.00
107 Western Ill. 5 352 2249 6.39 22 449.80
108 Cal Poly 4 300 1836 6.12 20 459.00
109 Austin Peay 4 271 1855 6.85 19 463.75
110 Central Ark. 5 374 2363 6.32 21 472.60
111 Southeast Mo. St. 4 276 1910 6.92 22 477.50
112 UC Davis 4 284 1916 6.75 19 479.00
113 Missouri St. 5 343 2398 6.99 27 479.60
114 Northern Colo. 5 406 2440 6.01 26 488.00
115 Saint Francis (PA) 5 332 2442 7.36 30 488.40
116 Charleston So. 5 367 2596 7.07 30 519.20
117 New Hampshire 4 338 2094 6.20 22 523.50
118 Tennessee St. 5 384 2707 7.05 27 541.40
119 Western Caro. 4 294 2391 8.13 27 597.75
120 Valparaiso 4 352 2509 7.13 30 627.25

Just to throw more on the fire, Kemp had to share snaps with Montana...also, I assume you meant Kemp has not cost the griz any points not "not caused"

bigkid said:
Kemp starts on saturday against isu. If not alum will go frickin nuts!!

Alums only are not where the $$$ comes from. My concern is what the donors/contributors/boosters are thinking. I honestly doubt it is that big of a deal yet. However, can be if the GRIZ struggle with JJ. I hope that will not be the case though. I like them both. :thumb:

dupuyer griz said:
Just to throw more on the fire, Kemp had to share snaps with Montana...also, I assume you meant Kemp has not cost the griz any points not "not caused"

Thanks for the catch, fixed it. Cannot believe I did not catch it. :thumb:

I posted this in another thread and it seems to fit here too.

I don't post on Egriz often but after reading everything this week and last week, I have to post my thoughts on the subject.
JJ understands the offense better than kemp or Montana. He is smoother in the zone read plays,and he reads defenses better in the passing game. He has one MAJOR flaw. Size. I would venture to say that he isn't even 5' 10" tall. JJ isn't Dave D. We can't expect great results in the passing game when our QB can't even see over the lineman. I don't mean this as a knock either. I really wish JJ were a couple inches taller because he could be an All American if that were the case. But he isn't and therefore will be a very average QB even though his skill level is great. In the game of football size really matters 95% of the time, especially at QB.
Kemp is an all around better athlete,he is a beast running the ball and he showed on Saturday that he can throw the ball well enough to keep defenses honest.
We need someone who can see the field because guys like Moutra and Sambrano will beat the d back guarding them 9 out of 10 times. Just get them the damn ball in stride.

If Pflu and co. want to keep their job in the future, they better find a true dual threat QB to run this offense. Someone with size and speed who can throw the ball accurately. Hard to do at this level I know, but they are choosing to run this offense so they better recruit the hell out of the most important position in the spread option.

Thats my 2 cents.

stubbins said:
I am curious if JJ's shoulder is "still" bothering him....

That kid has taken a beating so far this year. Both Kemp and JJ are tough as nails, and gamers. Difference is, Kemp has the size, and body to hold up to more hits. JJ really could use another 15 to 20 lbs.

Kemp took some great hits this past weekend too. We will need them both. I do hope we see both them in the game at the same time often, without using Kemp as just a decoy. :thumb:

mtgrizrule said:
stubbins said:

That kid has taken a beating so far this year. Both Kemp and JJ are tough as nails, and gamers. Difference is, Kemp has the size, and body to hold up to more hits. JJ really could use another 15 to 20 lbs.

Kemp took some great hits this past weekend too. We will need them both. I do hope we see both them in the game at the same time often, without using Kemp as just a decoy. :thumb:

I was just thinking that if JJ was "still" hurt, it may be an excuse to get kemp on the field to see what happens in 4 more quarters. Don't think this will happen, just wondering if it is a possibility

stubbins said:
mtgrizrule said:
stubbins said:

I was just thinking that if JJ was "still" hurt, it may be an excuse to get kemp on the field to see what happens in 4 more quarters. Don't think this will happen, just wondering if it is a possibility

Nobody would know better, other than JJ, and his coaches. It would be worth a try. Then again,the same damn stuff about ISU not being that good would be said if Kemp again dominated.

Kemp was hands down the best player on the field against UNC, and the scrimmage when he ran with the 1's. Kemp is getting by on athleticism, leadership, and determination right now. God, forbid seeing how good he can really be by actually allowing him to learn a position full time. AS a qb, I have no doubts he can be an impact player, if given time. Time, is what both Kemp and JJ need. I just think, Kemp's age certainly helps him, and JJ's age works against him, and just not quite ready as Kemp is.

teames said:

I don't post on Egriz often but after reading everything this week and last week, I have to post my thoughts on the subject.
JJ understands the offense better than kemp or Montana. He is smoother in the zone read plays,and he reads defenses better in the passing game. He has one MAJOR flaw. Size. I would venture to say that he isn't even 5' 10" tall. JJ isn't Dave D. We can't expect great results in the passing game when our QB can't even see over the lineman. I don't mean this as a knock either. I really wish JJ were a couple inches taller because he could be an All American if that were the case. But he isn't and therefore will be a very average QB even though his skill level is great. In the game of football size really matters 95% of the time, especially at QB.
Kemp is an all around better athlete,he is a beast running the ball and he showed on Saturday that he can throw the ball well enough to keep defenses honest.
We need someone who can see the field because guys like Moutra and Sambrano will beat the d back guarding them 9 out of 10 times. Just get them the damn ball in stride.

If Pflu and co. want to keep their job in the future, they better find a true dual threat QB to run this offense. Someone with size and speed who can throw the ball accurately. Hard to do at this level I know, but they are choosing to run this offense so they better recruit the hell out of the most important position in the spread option.

Thats my 2 cents.

Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theismann, Pat Haden and Dan Fouts all told me to tell you hello..........:coffee:

I think you must take into account who each of those teams played...UNC has played the weakest schedule of the bunch. Cal Poly has played two FBS teams, Montana and SD St and Sac St has played much more challenging schedule. You are once again twisting facts to support your argument.

:lol: :lol: :thumb: :thumb:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:

Thats my 2 cents.

Doug Flutie, Fran Tarkenton, Joe Theismann, Pat Haden and Dan Fouts all told me to tell you hello..........:coffee:

:lol: :lol: :thumb:

Say what you will. Kemp passed the 1st test. He has earned and deserves to be tested more. Excuse me for being sold on Kemp.

At least I am not here saying "this guy or that guy would have done this or that against a team he did not play against."

Fact is Kemp's been much more consistent. I have more faith in him, this year. Even if JJ continues to be the man, I am fine with that. Using Kemp though would make his job and everyone's job easier. Kemp is a difference maker, no matter where he plays. The GRIZ are a much better team with him playing a major role.

These are defensive stats, right?

You're looking at #104 Sac, #105 Weber, #108 Cal Poly, #114 No Colo,

How about taking a look at #117? That team is ranked #6 in Monday's Top 25 in FCS ... New Hampshire...

You're welcome.

http://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fcs/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... am/1042/p3

101 Fordham 4 286 1717 6.00 15 429.25
102 Yale 3 221 1294 5.86 10 431.33
103 South Dakota St. 5 353 2175 6.16 27 435.00
104 Sacramento St. 5 360 2193 6.09 22 438.60
105 Weber St. 5 358 2196 6.13 20 439.20
106 Georgia St. 4 288 1788 6.21 19 447.00
107 Western Ill. 5 352 2249 6.39 22 449.80
108 Cal Poly 4 300 1836 6.12 20 459.00
109 Austin Peay 4 271 1855 6.85 19 463.75
110 Central Ark. 5 374 2363 6.32 21 472.60
111 Southeast Mo. St. 4 276 1910 6.92 22 477.50
112 UC Davis 4 284 1916 6.75 19 479.00
113 Missouri St. 5 343 2398 6.99 27 479.60
114 Northern Colo. 5 406 2440 6.01 26 488.00
115 Saint Francis (PA) 5 332 2442 7.36 30 488.40
116 Charleston So. 5 367 2596 7.07 30 519.20
117 New Hampshire 4 338 2094 6.20 22 523.50
118 Tennessee St. 5 384 2707 7.05 27 541.40
119 Western Caro. 4 294 2391 8.13 27 597.75
120 Valparaiso 4 352 2509 7.13 30 627.25

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:

Thats my 2 cents.

There are exceptions to every rule. JJ is not one of the exceptions. Like I said, he has great skill but he doesn't have the size to succeed at this level. He reminds me of a Mark Desin only quicker, both are great athletes but Mark struggled playing QB at this level, and so far JJ has too. I just don't see it getting significantly better.

teames said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:

Thats my 2 cents.

There are exceptions to every rule. JJ is not one of the exceptions. Like I said, he has great skill but he doesn't have the size to succeed at this level. He reminds me of a Mark Desin only quicker, both are great athletes but Mark struggled playing QB at this level, and so far JJ has too. I just don't see it getting significantly better.

There are more great QBs under 6 foot in this country than there are over 6 foot.

Its not an exception its just that the smaller guys dont get the chances a taller athlete does. Desin would have been great if given the reigns but we all know he didnt start 4 games in a row he just filled in during injuries or for a series here and there.

Nice try but JJ is the real deal and hes hands down without question the best "QB" we have on our roster.

ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:
ALPHAGRIZ1 said:
teames said:

Thats my 2 cents.

There are more great QBs under 6 foot in this country than there are over 6 foot.

Its not an exception its just that the smaller guys dont get the chances a taller athlete does. Desin would have been great if given the reigns but we all know he didnt start 4 games in a row he just filled in during injuries or for a series here and there.

Nice try but JJ is the real deal and hes hands down without question the best "QB" we have on our roster.

I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and see how it plays out.

teames said:

Thats my 2 cents.
Jordan Johnson is listed at 6'1" and 202lbs. Kemp is listed at 6'2" and 215lbs. This came from the school's website. :oops:

I remember seeing a picture posted of them standing side by side. There seems to be a larger difference between the two than just 1 inch.

Back