• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Dissly (Bozeman HS) Drafted by...

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
Doesn't Missoula have open enrollment? If so, that is the main reason their athletics struggle.

Open enrollment doesn't make Missoula teams struggle. In fact, open enrollment is often what makes some teams competitive.

Why do you continue to say such dumb stuff on the board?

Open enrollment is the reason you couldnt field 2 AA football teams a couple years ago...This is what 5 different coaches told me..

Yes, and that's what made the other 2 Missoula schools more competitive. Due to the enrollments of all 3 schools being small, open enrollment allows kids to gravitate the the school or school with the better opportunities to be successful in their sport. Missoula Hellgate gets boys soccer players. Sentinel has gotten a bunch of good female athletes in recent years. No one who wants to be on a good or decent football team would ever go to Hellgate.

Having 3 schools with lower enrollments makes it very hard for Missoula schools to compete. Allowing kids to gravitate to certain schools due to open enrollments makes those teams more competitive. Sometimes, instead of all 3 schools sucking, open enrollment allows one or two to be good or okay, leaving only 1 school to completely suck.

Did it really not occur to you that the other 2 schools would be better if football players didn't go to Hellgate?

All true, except back in the day open enrollment didn’t exist.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
Open enrollment doesn't make Missoula teams struggle. In fact, open enrollment is often what makes some teams competitive.

Why do you continue to say such dumb stuff on the board?

Open enrollment is the reason you couldnt field 2 AA football teams a couple years ago...This is what 5 different coaches told me..

Yes, and that's what made the other 2 Missoula schools more competitive. Due to the enrollments of all 3 schools being small, open enrollment allows kids to gravitate the the school or school with the better opportunities to be successful in their sport. Missoula Hellgate gets boys soccer players. Sentinel has gotten a bunch of good female athletes in recent years. No one who wants to be on a good or decent football team would ever go to Hellgate.

Having 3 schools with lower enrollments makes it very hard for Missoula schools to compete. Allowing kids to gravitate to certain schools due to open enrollments makes those teams more competitive. Sometimes, instead of all 3 schools sucking, open enrollment allows one or two to be good or okay, leaving only 1 school to completely suck.

Did it really not occur to you that the other 2 schools would be better if football players didn't go to Hellgate?

What does back in the day have to do with this discussion? Back when there was one high school? Then two? What about when there were three? What happened then? Bozeman was much smaller then too.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:

What does back in the day have to do with this discussion? Back when there was one high school? Then two? What about when there were three? What happened then? Bozeman was much smaller then too.

Does Bozeman have open enrollment now?

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Nope, and they won't...Boys Basketball Coach and The new Football both said they dopn't want it, and that it will hurt competitiveness. You can petition for your kid to go to a different school. We did when we moved last summer a week after school registration was due...We lost and he goes to school across town. He is now excepted into the school that is about 6 blocks away (again there are only 2 middle schools as well).

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:

Nope, and they won't...Boys Basketball Coach and The new Football both said they dopn't want it, and that it will hurt competitiveness. You can petition for your kid to go to a different school. We did when we moved last summer a week after school registration was due...We lost and he goes to school across town. He is now excepted into the school that is about 6 blocks away (again there are only 2 middle schools as well).

THAT'S what this has to do with this discussion. :|

AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

It is like anything else...If you believe that open enrollment is bad for competitiveness, and that Kids (and their parents) shouldn't be in charge of where you go to Public school, then you will hate Open Enrollment...If you think that Open Enrollment is good, and it gives schools an advantage in certain sports and the ability to not suck or be average at all of them, you will hate set school boundaries...A lot has changed since PR went to high school in Bozeman back in the 20's. We have paved roads and everything now...It is pretty neat ;) We even have a swimming pool by the MSU Football stadium!!!

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

It is like anything else...If you believe that open enrollment is bad for competitiveness, and that Kids (and their parents) shouldn't be in charge of where you go to Public school, then you will hate Open Enrollment...If you think that Open Enrollment is good, and it gives schools an advantage in certain sports and the ability to not suck or be average at all of them, you will hate set school boundaries...A lot has changed since PR went to high school in Bozeman back in the 20's. We have paved roads and everything now...It is pretty neat ;) We even have a swimming pool by the MSU Football stadium!!!

:lol: :clap:

AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

No, it doesn't. Bozeman has 1 school now. Of course, it doesn't have open enrollment. Bozeman will have 2 schools, not 3. Open enrollment in Missoula helps 2 (usually) schools be more competitive, because good athletes gravitate to those schools. Hurts the 3d school. If the football players Missoula were split fairly evenly between the 3 schools, football would probably not be competitive at any of the schools.

Open enrollment in a city with 2 schools would, in most sports, make one school more competitive and one school less competitive. I can see why coaches in cities with 2 schools wouldn't want open enrollment. I assume Missoula is the only city in the state with open enrollment.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

No, it doesn't. Bozeman has 1 school now. Of course, it doesn't have open enrollment. Bozeman will have 2 schools, not 3. Open enrollment in Missoula helps 2 (usually) schools be more competitive, because good athletes gravitate to those schools. Hurts the 3d school. If the football players Missoula were split fairly evenly between the 3 schools, football would probably not be competitive at any of the schools.

Open enrollment in a city with 2 schools would, in most sports, make one school more competitive and one school less competitive. I can see why coaches in cities with 2 schools wouldn't want open enrollment. I assume Missoula is the only city in the state with open enrollment.

Not sure about Billings (4 schools), but I don't think they have open enrollment.

PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

PR, we are in agreement. And open enrollment can exist with only one HS...if there are multiple middle/elementary schools in the system. If Bozeman does NOT implement open enrollment, I would guess it'll go through the same pains Missoula went through in the early & mid '80's with all three schools being "small" for AA standards and not being very competitive at anything. If they implement open enrollment, they might find schools "specializing" in certain sports and see kids gravitate to those schools for their chosen activity.

Bozeman parents are already some of the worst around when it comes to sports. it's going to be a complete shit show for a while when the new school is done. And my poor youngest two are going to be right in the thick of it going into 9th and 10th that year.

ilovethecats said:
Bozeman parents are already some of the worst around when it comes to sports. it's going to be a complete shit show for a while when the new school is done. And my poor youngest two are going to be right in the thick of it going into 9th and 10th that year.

My son will be going into 9th that year as well. We already have friends (whose kids are in 6th grade 6th GRADE!!) that are looking at moving to make sure there kids will "play for the best and have a chance at a scholarship" I watched this same kid pick a wedgie and then smell his fingers...

MontanaSports.Com All Sports Champions: Look at how each school does at state, scoring their performances.

1st...10 pts
2nd...7 pts
3rd...6 pts
and so on down the line...

All Sports Champions:

AA Bozeman Hawks
A Polson Pirates
B Mssoula Loyola Rams
C Manhattan Christian Eagles

Bozeman ran away with the title by scoring 116 pts, Billings Sr took 2nd with 84 pts.

I had some good HS football teammates that I graduated with. Only one got a brief NFL free agent opportunity though, FS Todd Ericson, with the Indianapolis Colts. He was given the #37 by fellow FS Tim Hauck. Todd wore it for four years, and was an 1-AA All American. Chad Lembke started at linebacker for the Griz as a true freshman. He also earned All American honors. Lance Allen was an All Big Sky Conf defensive tackle for the Griz. Lance absolutely crushed me on a kick return, it was like a car wreck I am told, I don't even remember catching the ball. Probably one of the best guys was our tailback, Corey Bolton. He was a two sport athlete at Western competing in both football and wrestling, earning NAIA All-American Honorable Mention honors in football, setting multiple school records. He played with Jeff Choate. Corey also was selected as an NAIA Wrestling All-American. He was coached in football by Mick Dennehy and Mick Delaney. In wrestling, he was coached by T.J. Nelson.

Probably the guy I learned the most from was strong safety Randy Street (son of legendary wrestling coach Jim Street). He was a year ahead of me. He was a three-time state wrestling champion for the Bulldogs (favored to win 4, but was inured the week of state), and an All-State football player. He went to the University of Nebraska on a wrestling scholarship. He later transferred to Montana State Northern and finished his wrestling career winning an NAIA National Title.

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
AZGrizFan said:
SACCAT66 said:

Not sure about Billings (4 schools), but I don't think they have open enrollment.
A fifth may be in the making at Lockwood.

RIP Randy Street

4ffa490a60ee8.image.jpg

Randy Thomas Street, 42, was born Jan. 26, 1970, in Butte, and ended his journey in this world on July 6, 2012.

Randy was a 1988 graduate of Butte High School with high honors. He was a three-time state wrestling champion for the Bulldogs, and an 1st Team All-State football player. He went to the University of Nebraska on a wrestling scholarship. He later transferred to Montana State Northern and finished his wrestling career winning an NAIA National Title, and also earned his Bachelor of Science in Secondary Education.

Randy was an avid sportsman. Some of his favorite activities included fishing, hunting, riding motorbikes, taking photographs of the beautiful outdoors and playing horseshoes, just to name a few.

He was most at peace in Wise River fishing and on bikes, or at Georgetown water skiing and tossing shoes. Randy had a huge heart and was friends with many people.

Randy had his hands in all kinds of work activities. He started out selling cars and then had a short stint counseling before teaching in Houston for two years.

Randy then got in the Home Health Care business for seven years in Reno and Las Vegas prior to spending his last three years in Las Vegas surveying for home construction. Randy then moved home to Montana — which was always where his heart was — and found work with A.W.A.R.E. He finished his working career driving truck on construction sites.

Randy is survived by his parents Jim and Barbara Street; sister Jackie Street McKenna; brother Jason Street; daughter Lexus Murphy; nieces Brittany, Brooke and Codi Jean; along with special friend, Amie Beckman and numerous cousins and other family members. He was preceded in death by partner Carrie Dahlman, and too many family members to mention.

A private memorial service will be held at Wise River Community Center on Wednesday, July 11, at noon for immediate family and personal friends of the Street family. Interment will follow at a later date.

Randy has finally laid to rest his fight with all his evil spirits and has been set free by His Heavenly Father.

Though Randy is no longer with us, he will always be in our hearts and in our minds and will never be forgotten.

He was a son, a brother, a father, an uncle, a nephew, a cousin, and a best friend to all!

Back