• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Dissly (Bozeman HS) Drafted by...

PlayerRep said:
Some Bozeman high backfields. QB and 2 RB's.

Bissel (Boise St), Schmidt (UM0, Manning (Dartmouth). In college, receiver, RB, cornerback.

Mine was Alabama, Wash St, Dartmouth. In college, linebacker, cornerback, and cornerback.

I was told the Bozeman high team was Shane Collins and Corey Widmer, both of played in the NFL, didn't win any games, but I think I once looked it up and they one a game or two.

I think at least 8 former Bozeman high players have played in the NFL since 1970. I think more than any other high school in MT.
The Billing Senior teams of the past 3 years have also put many teams onto various levels of college rosters. Especially, the 2016 and 2017 teams; next year will put a few more in college too!

PlayerRep said:

Bissel (Boise St), Schmidt (UM0, Manning (Dartmouth). In college, receiver, RB, cornerback.

Mine was Alabama, Wash St, Dartmouth. In college, linebacker, cornerback, and cornerback.

I was told the Bozeman high team was Shane Collins and Corey Widmer, both of played in the NFL, didn't win any games, but I think I once looked it up and they one a game or two.

I think at least 8 former Bozeman high players have played in the NFL since 1970. I think more than any other high school in MT.

Bozeman had several kids play in the NFL. Ogle who I think was only a soph on the 66 team Butte Central "upset" at divisional played for Colorado and several years in the NFL with the Cardinals (I think). Scott Koelzer from Rosary got drafted after playing for MSU.

Mousegriz said:
SACCAT66 said:
WaGriz4life said:
Dillon said:
Paul Dissly (Will's father) went to UM, so I beg to differ he is a Bobcat. In fact I made some pretty good $ at Stocks betting he could pick up a full pitcher of beer with his teeth & drink it to the last drop.
Did not know that. I just remember his brother Nick playing basketball for the Bobcats recently. Most ridiculous athlete I've seen on a MT high school basketball court.

That Bozeman High team they had his senior year was one of the best I have ever seen. The starting 5 had 4 players that played college ball at some level (Dissly, Townsly, Owesly and can't remember the 4th)

Did Roderick ever play with this group? Thought he was one of the best MT high schoolers I've seen.
No. Roderick is way younger. Nick Dissly graduated in 2003. Roderick probably 2011.

That 2003 Bozeman team is the best team ever. I will put them up against anyone.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

Bozeman had several kids play in the NFL. Ogle who I think was only a soph on the 66 team Butte Central "upset" at divisional played for Colorado and several years in the NFL with the Cardinals (I think). Scott Koelzer from Rosary got drafted after playing for MSU.

I know schools have had multiple people play college sports...I was talking about JUST the basketball team having 4 starters from one year play College basketball. Only about 10 kids on a team and 4 of them were that good..

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

Ogle was a junior on the '66 Bozeman team.

SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

I know schools have had multiple people play college sports...I was talking about JUST the basketball team having 4 starters from one year play College basketball. Only about 10 kids on a team and 4 of them were that good..

On '66 Bozeman basketball team: Glen Smiley (Duke), Jim Smiley (Wash St), Robin Stiff (Mont. St. basketball and football). Can't recall if Jim Staab played college hoops, but think he did. Rick Ogle (Colo. football and NFL ). Sophomores, not suited up: Keeter (professional baseball), Kirby (Wash St. football), Dogterom (Wash St. football), Harman (Mont. St. hoops and tennis), me (Dartmouth football). Of the sophs, Kerby won state track in low hurdles and long jump. Dogterom won high hurdles. Wantulok won high jump. All 3 won those 4 events at the Meet of Champions that year. Bozeman was State A champion in track in '67 and '68. Their senior year, despite being only 6'2" and the rest 6', 4 of them could dunk.

SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

About 15 years ago, Stevensville's basketball team had 5 kids that went on to play Div 1, but only one was basketball: Seifert (St. Louis/UM BB) Mullan & Johnson (UM FB) Tadvik (Idaho FB) Curley (MSU FB)

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

On '66 Bozeman basketball team: Glen Smiley (Duke), Jim Smiley (Wash St), Robin Stiff (Mont. St. basketball and football). Can't recall if Jim Staab played college hoops, but think he did. Rick Ogle (Colo. football and NFL ). Sophomores, not suited up: Keeter (professional baseball), Kirby (Wash St. football), Dogterom (Wash St. football), Harman (Mont. St. hoops and tennis), me (Dartmouth football). Of the sophs, Kerby won state track in low hurdles and long jump. Dogterom won high hurdles. Wantulok won high jump. All 3 won those 4 events at the Meet of Champions that year. Bozeman was State A champion in track in '67 and '68. Their senior year, despite being only 6'2" and the rest 6', 4 of them could dunk.

Speedy Smith from Manhattan was 5'4" and he could dunk, but I digress. Koelzer dunked in warm-ups and got a technical because of it in one of the games. Was it 71 or 72 dunking became legal? Tommy York was on the 78 state championship basketball team, the first state championship Bozeman ever had in anything. He was a really nice kid as was Pete Dodds who sat the bench at Rosary and did really well when his father retired from the Army as the Deputy Commander of the MSU Army ROTC Detachment and their family moved to Florida.

Bozeman had a great deal of talent in the 60s but as you recall many didn't reach their potential in high school. My mother worked for Dick Smiley for several years after his political career ended. I still have a dictionary he gave me years ago, somewhat battered as it is.

I thought Jim Smiley went to WAZZU on a track scholarship because he won the state meet with a throw of 209' and just tried all the other sports? WAZZU had some impressive track athletes in the late 60s and early 70s, several from Montana.

Edit* I didnt recall the Bozeman track championships.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Speedy Smith from Manhattan was 5'4" and he could dunk, but I digress. Koelzer dunked in warm-ups and got a technical because of it in one of the games. Was it 71 or 72 dunking became legal? Tommy York was on the 78 state championship basketball team, the first state championship Bozeman ever had in anything. He was a really nice kid as was Pete Dodds who sat the bench at Rosary and did really well when his father retired from the Army as the Deputy Commander of the MSU Army ROTC Detachment and their family moved to Florida.

Bozeman had a great deal of talent in the 60s but as you recall many didn't reach their potential in high school. My mother worked for Dick Smiley for several years after his political career ended. I still have a dictionary he gave me years ago, somewhat battered as it is.

I thought Jim Smiley went to WAZZU on a track scholarship because he won the state meet with a throw of 209' and just tried all the other sports? WAZZU had some impressive track athletes in the late 60s and early 70s, several from Montana.

Yes, 2 State A track championships by Bozeman in '67 and '68. Saw your edit. Go into the back rooms (maybe the cafeteria, look for the older, faded, almost white/gray photos, and you'll see both teams (and me). Jim Smiley had a top 5 or 6 javelin throw in the nation his senior year, but somebody, maybe Brandon (?) of Glasgow through it farther. About 220. Yes, WSU had nice track athletes back then. Think WSU produced some Olympians. Jim Smiley and I did a once-a-week radio show, playing music and talking high school news, one year. On his dad's radio station.

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:

Yes, 2 State A track championships by Bozeman in '67 and '68. Saw your edit. Go into the back rooms (maybe the cafeteria, look for the older, faded, almost white/gray photos, and you'll see both teams (and me). Jim Smiley had a top 5 or 6 javelin throw in the nation his senior year, but somebody, maybe Brandon (?) of Glasgow through it farther. About 220. Yes, WSU had nice track athletes back then. Think WSU produced some Olympians. Jim Smiley and I did a once-a-week radio show, playing music and talking high school news, one year. On his dad's radio station.

The kid from Glasgow was nearly as good as Stiles from Malta...hard to believe the number six javelin kid, Perry (?) on the 65-68 or so Malta team threw the javelin 186'. Memory not as good as it once was but was it a Robinson from Glasgow (think he still has the state record in the high hurdles no matter what Fox says), played football for Idaho and the Lions for several years. And of course, Quiestad (sic) from Livingston still has the 100 yard dash record...9.6? Last white sprinter to make the Olympics in the 100 from the U.S.

You didn't hang out with the Lillys did you?

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:

The kid from Glasgow was nearly as good as Stiles from Malta...hard to believe the number six javelin kid, Perry (?) on the 65-68 or so Malta team threw the javelin 186'. Memory not as good as it once was but was it a Robinson from Glasgow (think he still has the state record in the high hurdles no matter what Fox says), played football for Idaho and the Lions for several years. And of course, Quiestad (sic) from Livingston still has the 100 yard dash record...9.6? Last white sprinter to make the Olympics in the 100 from the U.S.

Robinson ran track and played football. Didn't he play football for the Griz? Questad was the favorite to win the 2o0 at the '68 Olympics where Smith and Carlos gave their salutes on the podium. I played with Greg and Mike L. and was friends with the whole family, including the dad who was my high school teacher.

CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
77matcat said:
BSHS was wrestling state champs in 71 and 72.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Can we not talk about wrestling in light of what happened?

Just adding data points re your statement.

Please expand. What happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

WaGriz4life said:
Zirg said:
I won't lie. I was SHOCKED this guy got drafted. I know there is more to being a Tight End than receiving, but he only had 25 career catches and all 3 TDS came against Big Sky schools. Just saying.
You shouldn't have been. There is a reason PAC 12 coaches voted him 2nd Team All PAC 12 at TE this year. He is the best blocking TE in the country and a difference maker in the run game. I talked to him and his family after the Griz-Husky game this year and they are good folks (even though they are Bobcats)

I gathered he must be a great blocker (to be drafted) with his unimpressive catching stats, but the UM-UW game was the only Pac-12 game I watched last year, so I will admit ignorance in this case and had no idea he was a legit prospect. I thought he got extra looks/catches against the Griz just because he was from Montana, which I still believe. He was a complete nobody to 99% of the country who haven't talked to his parents. Yes he only played Tight-End for 2 years at UW, but 25 catches is still a paltry number for a 2nd round pick Tight End. I would bet there haven't been many 2nd Round Tight Ends ever drafted with so few catches.

Dissly is listed as a 5th/6th rounder in this chart/analysis by SBNation. Scroll to near the bottom of the link. Chart 4. https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2018/4/24/17262172/2018-nfl-draft-wide-receiver-tight-end-projections-stats

Zirg apparently thinks he's some great NFL TE predictor/assessor, but my guess is that the NFL, and people who invited Dissly to the Combine, and even these internet writers, have more expertise.

Using Zirg's term, I'm just not impressed with your TE prediction skills.

One of the best TE blockers: http://nbcmontana.com/sports/content/dissly-improves-draft-stock-at-nfl-combine

PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:
PlayerRep said:
CatGrad-UMGradStu said:

Robinson ran track and played football. Didn't he play football for the Griz? Questad was the favorite to win the 2o0 at the '68 Olympics where Smith and Carlos gave their salutes on the podium. I played with Greg and Mike L. and was friends with the whole family, including the dad who was my high school teacher.

Robinson played for the Griz in the mid to late 60’s. Saw him play an exhibition game with
The Atlanta Falcons against Super Bowl Champs KC in Atlanta in fall of 69.
Best javelin thrower ever from Montana.....John Tushaus from Libby. Held American College
Record in 1966. Competed at AZ. Or Az State......look it up

John Tushaus, the Libby guy. Never heard of him. Arizona after a JC. 2 time ncaa champ. 284.

"Three of the world’s leading track legends, distance runners Jim Ryun and Kip Keino and pole-vaulter Bob Seagren, were the headliners at the 1966 Coliseum Relays in Los Angeles.

A crowd of 17,253 attended and the night’s star was an undersized javelin thrower from Libby, Montana: Arizona senior John Tushaus.

In the performance of his life, Tushaus broke the American record with a throw of 284 feet, more than 31 feet better than his previous best. Later that month, the 185-pound Tushaus, a transfer from Palomar Junior College in California, won his second consecutive NCAA javelin championship."

http://tucson.com/the-top-ua-track-and-field-athletes/article_c9765766-6685-11e7-b730-3b8f81aa3837.html

Craig Stiles, Malta and UM (for 2 quarters). 255. Chad McKinney of Missoula has the old javelin state record.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/craig-stiles-counts-his-blessings-wonders-what-might-have-been/article_1cac0384-41bf-11df-ab74-001cc4c03286.html

CatzWillRise said:
I agree that Nick Dissly might be one of those most athletic MT high school kids I've ever seen. I remember watching a game when he played for the Cats, and he jumped up I think trying to block a shot, I don't remember the circumstances exactly but he slapped the backboard about 3/4 of the way up. He had to be careful not to hit his head on the rim quite a bit through his career.

I've always wondered if Nick had choose FB in college. If I remember right his senior year @ MSU, he wanted to go out for FB. But a coach, or P. Fields wasn't going to let it happen. Will graduated High School @ 17, when he was starting Varsity as a Sophomore, he was already dominating the field. A man amongst boys.

I grew up in Libby, and remember John Tushaus very well. I was younger, probably junior high, and a few of us would go down to the high school field to watch the track team practice. It was always fun to watch John throw the javelin --- he worked hard and the javelin sailed a long ways. One of the biggest problems at the field was that people would think they were a safe distance away from the javelin throwers, but they weren't when John was throwing. I believe he won the state for several years, though Libby was a Class B school then, and there was no state meet where all the classes were combined if I remember right

Your reference and accompanying article were startling to me--- because I totally lost track of John and had no idea of his success at the collegiate level. Haven't thought of him for years. Pretty amazing really for a kid from Libby with no coaching other than that provided by an encyclopedia article. BTW, his last name is pronounced Tus- house. His mother was an elementary teacher in Libby, and as far as I know none of his family are in Libby today.

Back