• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Will Dissly (Bozeman HS) Drafted by...

Seattle drafted Dissly because Seattle had traded OL Max Unger and got to a finess TE, and hence their OL was never the same. Wilson was running for his life.

Dissly is a big strong heavy handed TE that will shore up the blocking. The former DE likes to be physical at the LOS. And although he has tiny two-year college receiving stats (Griz left him alone though), he is very capable (good hands, athleticism).

Could have a nice career, "hometown boy". in Seattle.

PlayerRep said:
I think at least 8 former Bozeman high players have played in the NFL since 1970. I think more than any other high school in MT.

I noticed that when Dane Fletcher was with the Pats the second time, Brock Coyle entered the league -- 2 LB's from Bozeman High at one time.

from Bozeman high in the NFL in recent history: (I think)
Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
Will Dissly, (potentially, don't know if he'll make a roster)
others?

But the Bozeman area will be moving from one AA school to three AA schools in one year, spreading out the talent.

JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:
I think at least 8 former Bozeman high players have played in the NFL since 1970. I think more than any other high school in MT.

I noticed that when Dane Fletcher was with the Pats the second time, Brock Coyle entered the league -- 2 LB's from Bozeman High at one time.

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

But the Bozeman area will be moving from one AA school to three AA schools in one year, spreading out the talent.

Rick Ogle
Mike McLeod

JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Right now, I would think Dissly is a lock to make the roster.

JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Oooff....say goodbye to competitiveness....the addition of Big Sky HS KILLED sports in Missoula for several years. Just spread the talent too thin.

JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Bozeman second high school opens in 2020 with just freshman and sophomores...

SACCAT66 said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

So I assume eventually Juniors & Seniors?

Dillon said:
SACCAT66 said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

So I assume eventually Juniors & Seniors?
Yep. Junior class the second year, senior class the third.

AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Oooff....say goodbye to competitiveness....the addition of Big Sky HS KILLED sports in Missoula for several years. Just spread the talent too thin.

It's not as bad (future thinning) as it sounds.

Bozeman currently has 1 class AA high school. It's a giant, at around 2,200 students. Bozeman is forced by the Montana High School Association to build another high school to spread out those students, making 2 class AA high schools in Bozeman. If not, the 1 high school would be estimated to grow to 2,400 students in 2020. :shock: No wonder they win a lot of state championships, they have twice the kids to choose from.

The third AA school Doub is referring to is the current class A school in nearby Belgrade. It is a giant for class A standards (winning lots of championships again having WAY more students to choose from), and is forced to move up to class AA. They are the first former class C school to grow to class AA.

Corey Widmer was born in Alexandria, VA.
Shane Collins was born in Roundup, MT.

Those guys were great players for Bozeman, and two classes older than me (Butte), even though they are 49 and i am 46. :lol: :thumb:

Those guys SR HS football season in 1986: Butte 34 and Bozeman 7

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Bozeman currently has 1 class AA high school. It's a giant, at around 2,200 students. Bozeman is forced by the Montana High School Association to build another high school to spread out those students, making 2 class AA high schools in Bozeman. If not, the 1 high school would be estimated to grow to 2,400 students in 2020. :shock: No wonder they win a lot of state championships, they have twice the kids to choose from.

The third AA school Doub is referring to is the current class A school in nearby Belgrade. It is a giant for class A standards (winning lots of championships again having WAY more students to choose from), and is forced to move up to class AA. They are the first former class C school to grow to class AA.

It is starting to get interesting as the political and athletics are meeting. There is a HUGE discord in where to draws the lines for the new school. Many "Jock Parents" want to make sure their kids get into the new school (They think most of the good coaches will want to go there), others want to have their kids stay in the old school thinking that the teachers will be better there (Bozeman in one of top High schools in the state in almost everything right now). They have changed the lines about 6 times, and are not even close to agreeing on anything yet...Luckily my kid got my brains AND athletic ability, so nobody cares where he goes...

SACCAT66 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

It is starting to get interesting as the political and athletics are meeting. There is a HUGE discord in where to draws the lines for the new school. Many "Jock Parents" want to make sure their kids get into the new school (They think most of the good coaches will want to go there), others want to have their kids stay in the old school thinking that the teachers will be better there (Bozeman in one of top High schools in the state in almost everything right now). They have changed the lines about 6 times, and are not even close to agreeing on anything yet...Luckily my kid got my brains AND athletic ability, so nobody cares where he goes...

:thumb: :D

SACCAT66 said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

:lol: :clap:

There's been some great HS B-Ball teams from Missoula, Bozeman and Great Falls in my memory.

I'd say the '89 Butte High team was the best to not win the championship. 21-1, with the only loss coming in the state championship by 3 pts to Flathead, a team BHS defeated three times previously that season (two times in reg season, and once in the Div Champ). Gatorade Player of the Year in shooting guard Gary Kane (two times 1st team All State, Griz BB), scoring/passing Point Guard Todd Ericson (two times 1st team All State in BB and FB...could have easily played BB for Griz...#37 Griz FB given to him from Tim Hauck, Butte Sports Hall of Fame). Jasson McNallie a Center that jumped out of the gym (state champion high jumper, reaching 7 feet)...

After I graduated, the 1990 Butte High team (with the 1989 backups) took second again, losing by 6 to a talented Missoula Hellgate squad. Dennis Washington's kid was pretty good. Dennis was in the Met Tavern placing bets. He must have won some money. ha. Here is a game some might be interested in, it's a 1990 game pitting CMR (Dave Dickenson) vs Butte High. The first half isn't pretty basketball, second half is better:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tafdj2L2xVs

AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Having two competitive high schools in Helena has only made sports better. Having 3 would do the same, but adding one to Bozeman is necessary because of size, and should make things more fun/competitive within the city. If you like rivalries, this is good. Nothing like some good old fashioned dislike for the folks "across the tracks."

IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:
PlayerRep said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Yeah, I get it. I graduated from Sentinel in 1980. At that time Sentinel was busting at the seams, with over 2500 students. Super-competitive in every sport with the CM Russells & Billings HS of the world. Once they opened Big Sky the schools in Missoula took YEARS to be competitive again. If Bozeman folks don’t think its going to affect schools’ athletic performance, they’re living in la-la land.

AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
JDoub said:

Dane Fletcher
Brock Coyle
Travis Dorsch
Shane Collins
Corey Widmer
others?

Yeah, I get it. I graduated from Sentinel in 1980. At that time Sentinel was busting at the seams, with over 2500 students. Super-competitive in every sport with the CM Russells & Billings HS of the world. Once they opened Big Sky the schools in Missoula took YEARS to be competitive again. If Bozeman folks don’t think its going to affect schools’ athletic performance, they’re living in la-la land.

Doesn't Missoula have open enrollment? If so, that is the main reason their athletics struggle.

SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:

Doesn't Missoula have open enrollment? If so, that is the main reason their athletics struggle.

Open enrollment doesn't make Missoula teams struggle. In fact, open enrollment is often what makes some teams competitive.

Why do you continue to say such dumb stuff on the board?

PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:
IntuitiveGriz said:

Open enrollment doesn't make Missoula teams struggle. In fact, open enrollment is often what makes some teams competitive.

Open enrollment is the reason you couldnt field 2 AA football teams a couple years ago...This is what 5 different coaches told me..

SACCAT66 said:
PlayerRep said:
SACCAT66 said:
AZGrizFan said:

Open enrollment is the reason you couldnt field 2 AA football teams a couple years ago...This is what 5 different coaches told me..

Yes, and that's what made the other 2 Missoula schools more competitive. Due to the enrollments of all 3 schools being small, open enrollment allows kids to gravitate the the school or school with the better opportunities to be successful in their sport. Missoula Hellgate gets boys soccer players. Sentinel has gotten a bunch of good female athletes in recent years. No one who wants to be on a good or decent football team would ever go to Hellgate.

Having 3 schools with lower enrollments makes it very hard for Missoula schools to compete. Allowing kids to gravitate to certain schools due to open enrollments makes those teams more competitive. Sometimes, instead of all 3 schools sucking, open enrollment allows one or two to be good or okay, leaving only 1 school to completely suck.

Did it really not occur to you that the other 2 schools would be better if football players didn't go to Hellgate?

Back