• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

What should UM D have done better in 2d half?

argh! said:
someone on the d should have convinced stitt to not go for it on that first 4th down. it wasn't a gimme, and by having ewu start their drive at midfield instead of (presumably) inside the 20 gave them instant momentum right at the start of the half. i thought it was a dumb decision, factoring in the potential momentum change, etc...

Completely agree.

marceagfan5 said:
Ursus1 said:
Honestly they got lucky to hold them to 6, Gabrud missed 3 open TD passes. Adjustments were needed or was a matter of time until they started connecting. Offense sure could have helped by shortening the game by not running plays so fast. Limit times EWU gets the ball you limit how many times they score. Stitt in post game said how hard it was on the defense to play 96 plays....dumb ass needs to realize if you slow it down on offense they don't get 96.

This is spot on, eastern actually moved the ball pretty well in the first half. Gubrud missed a couple wide-open touchdown passes, partly due to the pressure of the Griz defense, which had fresh legs in the first half. Eastern probably left a good 14-17 points off the board in the first half by overthrows, which may have fooled the griz coaches thinking they were doing just fine and no adjustments were needed at half time.

The griz Defense was absolutely gassed in the second half, and couldn’t get stops. Eastern also realized the WR screen was a gimme for at least 6-8 yards and went their all day. The best thing the Griz could have done was to have some long, time consuming drives on offense.

Two things. So, why didn't EWU complete long passes in the second half either.

Pretty much agree with your 2d para.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
The short screens to the WR's killed us. Any time ewooo put two WR's out within a yard of each other the coaches or the secondary should have been able to recognize what play was coming. They ran it again and again and again. One guy on the line and the second defender 10 yards back clearly was not the answer to the WR screen.

Completely agree. EWU receivers, or some of them, block well. That helped them with those plays too. But the Griz needed to defend those plays better.

Copper Griz said:
sdk.catfish said:
by Ursus1 » Sun Sep 24, 2017 6:46 pm

Honestly they got lucky to hold them to 6, Gabrud missed 3 open TD passes. Adjustments were needed or was a matter of time until they started connecting. Offense sure could have helped by shortening the game by not running plays so fast. Limit times EWU gets the ball you limit how many times they score. Stitt in post game said how hard it was on the defense to play 96 plays....dumb ass needs to realize if you slow it down on offense they don't get 96.

Somebody actually watched the game with objectivity

All true, but the other "objective" part is the Griz could have and should have put the game away numerous times. Dropped pass after dropped pass. Gubrud making first downs on third and very long. Damn impressed with him. The game could have gone either way. Credit the Eagles.

Yup. Agreed.

bgbigdog said:
Tackle, meaning get in position & wrap up once you’ve actually gotten hands on the ball carrier. They’re back to raking @ the arms, trying to get a fumble & so far, all it means is additional yards after contact for the ball carrier.

Yes, agree. Open field tackles aren't easy, but the Griz needed to do better with them. EWU beat us there.

reinell30 said:
It is the fans job to bitch and complain about the defense. It is not the fans job to decide what should have been done different. The DC and Head Coach need to figure it out. Obviously they didn't, AGAIN!

All I can say is, playing 20 feet off your man over and over and over doesn't work...jus sayin!

No one played 20 yards off "their receiver", nor did they in zone coverage either. In zone coverage, you don't have a receiver. Assume you know that.

hold-em said:
The best defense is to keep our offense on the field. We need to focus on getting first downs and burning some clock. Better results will follow.

I was watching Seattle play this afternoon. The announcer mentioned that Seattle did much better with a hurry up offense but also said that when a hurry up offense isn't working, it is very hard on the defense. Good point.

And what about field position? Would this improve our defense? Why aren't we punting on 4th down near mid field when our punter could pin them deep? Make no sense at this level. Field position is sooo important. Better results will follow.

Agreed.

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
What should the Griz D have done in the 2d half? Having held EWU to 2 FG's in the first half, I assume big adjustments were not needed at halftime.

How should UM have adjusted to stop the passes in the second half? Let's see some specifics. I don't really have any good ideas or specific ideas.
Having the defenders not standing and looking for a signal from the sideline while EWU was set, ready and snapping the ball could not have hurt.

Yes, this was a problem multiple times. Plus, this can get to be demoralizing. You can start thing. Jeez, just give a play call, any play call. It doesn't have to be the perfect play call.

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
What should the Griz D have done in the 2d half? Having held EWU to 2 FG's in the first half, I assume big adjustments were not needed at halftime.

How should UM have adjusted to stop the passes in the second half? Let's see some specifics. I don't really have any good ideas or specific ideas.
Having the defenders not standing and looking for a signal from the sideline while EWU was set, ready and snapping the ball could not have hurt.

Yes, this was a problem multiple times. Plus, this can get to be demoralizing. You can start thing. Jeez, just give a play call, any play call. It doesn't have to be the perfect play call.

A lack of urgency about the defense, or the DC. Not sure how many times I was yelling at them to get set as EWU was snapping the ball. Even substitutions seemed to be in sloth mode. Being gassed was likely part of it but the offense sure wasn't going to wait around for them to gather their thoughts. They fed off of it.

These kids (on defense) have to be be taught to improvise, analyze, think quick, use their own damn noggins. I know they are capable.

PR, not sure what others think, but how much of the defensive struggles are due to injured key players? It looks to me the likes of Sandry, and to a lesser extent, Strong are playing as much as they are, due to necessity. As for CB, McKinley and Sanders are really the only good and experienced CB's we have.

Are the combination of injuries and inexperienced DB's in a sense limiting the staff from making the necessary strategic changes? Yes, this is the best I can come up with, to even somewhat give them the benefit of the doubt. If that is the case, how would GRIZ fans take to the coaches opening up and being honest about these things? Really not a lot a defense can do when circumstances limit the personnel, especially in a pass happy Big Sky. Nickel and Dime packages have to be solid in coverage in a pass happy league. We learned a few years ago, sticking with a base package 4-3 or 3-4 too often also comes up short, with bad results.

The only possibility for improvement is practice and repetitions in defending the pass. Should the GRIZ drop more LBs or even linemen into zone coverage areas more often? I have not noticed Semore doing that very often. That might help take away some of the in the middle slants and hooks. As for the all the outside perimeter passes, like many, I am really struggling to come up with a solid strategy to combat that. It would help if referees called outside holding calls more consistently (lmao).

Typical Stitt football! They all should have put cotton balls in their ears prior to going into the locker at at half time!A lot of coaches would pay good money for Stitt's half time speech's, so as,to never use them! !!! Same ol' Stitt win out or stay home. If this ends the Stitt regime at Montana then it's worth it!!! Hate to be so judgmental because I believe Stitt is giving his best but it seems the game is above his head him in so many ways!!!

mtgrizrule said:
PR, not sure what others think, but how much of the defensive struggles are due to injured key players? It looks to me the likes of Sandry, and to a lesser extent, Strong are playing as much as they are, due to necessity. As for CB, McKinley and Sanders are really the only good and experienced CB's we have.

Are the combination of injuries and inexperienced DB's in a sense limiting the staff from making the necessary strategic changes? Yes, this is the best I can come up with, to even somewhat give them the benefit of the doubt. If that is the case, how would GRIZ fans take to the coaches opening up and being honest about these things? Really not a lot a defense can do when circumstances limit the personnel, especially in a pass happy Big Sky. Nickel and Dime packages have to be solid in coverage in a pass happy league. We learned a few years ago, sticking with a base package 4-3 or 3-4 too often also comes up short, with bad results.

The only possibility for improvement is practice and repetitions in defending the pass. Should the GRIZ drop more LBs or even linemen into zone coverage areas more often? I have not noticed Semore doing that very often. That might help take away some of the in the middle slants and hooks. As for the all the outside perimeter passes, like many, I am really struggling to come up with a solid strategy to combat that. It would help if referees called outside holding calls more consistently (lmao).

Good questions. Don't know. While some of the secondary may be hurting, I don't think that's the problem. The Griz played back-ups at safety and corner quite a bit in the game, I thought. One or more frosh corners are getting good playing time.

I have no clue what could be done with the scheme to defend better.

On the swing passes, I would have played them by coming up way more aggressively, when there were 2 defenders. Come fast but not stupid. Hit the blockers or a piece of them harder. Find a way to get off the blocks sooner or push the blockers into the play. Don't sit back.

I didn't notice obvious holding calls, but it sure seemed that the EWU receivers were able to hold their blocks for a long time.

And, the Griz tackling just wasn't as good as it needed to be.

After it was becoming clear that only 2 receivers were getting more of the balls, perhaps something could have been done to focus on them or bracket them.

Take a look at the size and height of our CB's this season.

Markell Sanders- 6-2 189
Ryan McKinley- 6-1 193
Dareon Nash - 6-2 178
Lewis Cowans - 6-1 192
Gavin Crow - 6-1 200
Josh Egbo- 6-2 193
Curtis Holmes- 5-9 175

As for height, all but Holes have great height. All but Holmes and Nash have good weight.
Seeing their physical attributes makes me think being more aggressive with the WR's could lead to an improvement in pass defense.

From a GeorgeF post in another thread:

"Tucker Scheye said that he didn't think EWU did a damn thing different in the second half. He said they went a little faster is all. He said the reason for the success in the second half was, the d-ends didn't get home like they did in the first half. He praised Gubrud and then said "at the end of the day, we still have to get home and we didn't."

If this is true, and EWU didn't do anything different on O in the second half, then it doesn't look like the Griz got outreached at halftime.

PlayerRep said:
From a GeorgeF post in another thread:

"Tucker Scheye said that he didn't think EWU did a damn thing different in the second half. He said they went a little faster is all. He said the reason for the success in the second half was, the d-ends didn't get home like they did in the first half. He praised Gubrud and then said "at the end of the day, we still have to get home and we didn't."

If this is true, and EWU didn't do anything different on O in the second half, then it doesn't look like the Griz got outreached at halftime.

I don't think the defensive coaches get off the hook that easily...in game adjustments are a thing.

But, if it's not coaching...then it is the athletes themselves? Did they get beat in their individual assignments in the second half? I think most believe the Griz players match up pretty well. At least I thought they did.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
It is the fans job to bitch and complain about the defense. It is not the fans job to decide what should have been done different. The DC and Head Coach need to figure it out. Obviously they didn't, AGAIN!

All I can say is, playing 20 feet off your man over and over and over doesn't work...jus sayin!

No one played 20 yards off "their receiver", nor did they in zone coverage either. In zone coverage, you don't have a receiver. Assume you know that.

My post states 20 feet, not yards. There is a difference between yards and feet, assume you know that.

argh! said:
someone on the d should have convinced stitt to not go for it on that first 4th down. it wasn't a gimme, and by having ewu start their drive at midfield instead of (presumably) inside the 20 gave them instant momentum right at the start of the half. i thought it was a dumb decision, factoring in the potential momentum change, etc...

Every one of our kick off's they took possession about the 35-40.

signedbewildered said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

A lack of urgency about the defense, or the DC. Not sure how many times I was yelling at them to get set as EWU was snapping the ball. Even substitutions seemed to be in sloth mode. Being gassed was likely part of it but the offense sure wasn't going to wait around for them to gather their thoughts. They fed off of it.

These kids (on defense) have to be be taught to improvise, analyze, think quick, use their own damn noggins. I know they are capable.

I thought that was what the coaches were for, until the word capable came up. If you held a team to just 6 points in the first half you have to know they are going to change in the second half.

I just think the defense should've faked injuries to slow them down...much like they did...

Back