• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Voted 6th in Big Sky poll.

BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
Joe came from a DII conference that had several members leaving DII and moving up to D1. The talent was recognized. School of Mines remains in DII.

So in 1999/2000 it was apparent that UNC was moving up?
UNC was in the DII nationals every year between 1995 and 1999. They won the national championship in two of those years. With that consistency, the move-up was a natural evolution. As so often happens, coaches rise to their own particular level of incompetence. At UNC and Montana, Joe was right where he wanted to be. When he tried to move "up," the results were not good. Joe went 15-30 (conference) at Wyoming, and 6-26 at South Dakota, suffering two of his four seasons there with no conferences wins at all.

The history of "Griz" athletics is instructive on that point. There is no "magical" rule that more experience brings more success. A "good" coach can go a long ways in the Big Sky Conference, or nowhere no matter how much "time" they get. Joe is a good example of someone who was very good at the DII and BSC levels of competition, but could not make the transition to the higher levels of play. Wyoming gave him six years to try and figure things out. His conference record in his last year there was 1-7.

So you say there's no magical rule on experience bringing success but in a prior post use a coach with D2 experience usually doesn't bring success. Despite the fact that both Glenn and Read came here as D2 coaches.

Read came from PSU, which has been D-I for the last 4 years of his time there. He had had 3 not great years at Oregon in the past too. Yes, had coached D-II, but also had coached D-I at both schools.

Some D-II coaches do well at D-I; some don't.

PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
BWahlberg said:
UNC was in the DII nationals every year between 1995 and 1999. They won the national championship in two of those years. With that consistency, the move-up was a natural evolution. As so often happens, coaches rise to their own particular level of incompetence. At UNC and Montana, Joe was right where he wanted to be. When he tried to move "up," the results were not good. Joe went 15-30 (conference) at Wyoming, and 6-26 at South Dakota, suffering two of his four seasons there with no conferences wins at all.

The history of "Griz" athletics is instructive on that point. There is no "magical" rule that more experience brings more success. A "good" coach can go a long ways in the Big Sky Conference, or nowhere no matter how much "time" they get. Joe is a good example of someone who was very good at the DII and BSC levels of competition, but could not make the transition to the higher levels of play. Wyoming gave him six years to try and figure things out. His conference record in his last year there was 1-7.

So you say there's no magical rule on experience bringing success but in a prior post use a coach with D2 experience usually doesn't bring success. Despite the fact that both Glenn and Read came here as D2 coaches.

Read came from PSU, which has been D-I for the last 4 years of his time there. He had had 3 not great years at Oregon in the past too. Yes, had coached D-II, but also had coached D-I at both schools.

I agree with PR! 75's blanket statements about D-2 coaches is stupid.

I had you guys as preseason #1 in the MVFC, getting the WGS-advantage** for the playoffs and ending up in Frisco.

**cold & loud, hot & smoky, elevation, distracting co-eds, band, weed in the student section

PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
BWahlberg said:

Took a hit on your credibility there PR. PSU moved up to D1 in '96.

alabamagrizzly said:
PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:

Took a hit on your credibility there PR. PSU moved up to D1 in '96.

You are correct. In fact, they went to the D-II quarterfinals in 1995.

BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So since the light has gone on, as you say, how about giving him one year with the light on and then unleashing your judgement, or withholding depending on how successful or unsuccessful his first season with the light on will be.
I don't think a D2 level coach has good odds in an experienced D1 program. That's why the thread topic has the title that it does. It's the thread topic. If you don''t like the thread topic, leave it alone. You'll probably be healthier without worrying about things you don't want other people discussing.

Yeah look how crappy Joe Glenn was for us

And isn't it scandalous that MLB is rife with former MINOR LEAGUERS!! :lol:

srgrizizen said:
BWahlberg said:
UMGriz75 said:
alabamagrizzly said:
So since the light has gone on, as you say, how about giving him one year with the light on and then unleashing your judgement, or withholding depending on how successful or unsuccessful his first season with the light on will be.
I don't think a D2 level coach has good odds in an experienced D1 program. That's why the thread topic has the title that it does. It's the thread topic. If you don''t like the thread topic, leave it alone. You'll probably be healthier without worrying about things you don't want other people discussing.

Yeah look how crappy Joe Glenn was for us

And isn't it scandalous that MLB is rife with former MINOR LEAGUERS!! :lol:

I just spit Diet Coke all over my keyboard you motherscratcher.... :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Back