• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Vim's 2018 Montana High School Football Recruiting List

Paytonlives said:
VimSince03 said:
VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
Bet Allred gets a partial offer to msu now. Still think he walks on to UM

Why would he suddenly get a partial?

If he gets a partial from the Cats....he's going to be a Cat. He wouldn't turn down scholarship money to walk-on to the Griz. Unless I'm reading your statement wrong. What I'm trying to say is there may not even be a PWO offer out there from either school to Allred right now.

Reason for offer (if given one ) Kitten logic. Gotta save face.

Just seems to be what they will do.

Hope not and he walks on to UM

:roll: You are overstating how much MSU was after Braxton so him committing to the Griz doesn't really change anything for MSU and what kids they still want to offer in Montana. In my opinion, if there is one kid that still deserves a scholarship offer from either of the in-state schools, its Blake Allred.

I don't ever remember the Griz dominating the state like they have this year. Maybe back when the rivalry was so lopsided. With all of the Cats coaches and their contacts in Montana, just surprising. Don't believe anyone can say that we didn't recruit enough MT kids.

VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
VimSince03 said:
VimSince03 said:

If he gets a partial from the Cats....he's going to be a Cat. He wouldn't turn down scholarship money to walk-on to the Griz. Unless I'm reading your statement wrong. What I'm trying to say is there may not even be a PWO offer out there from either school to Allred right now.

:roll: You are overstating how much MSU was after Braxton so him committing to the Griz doesn't really change anything for MSU and what kids they still want to offer in Montana. In my opinion, if there is one kid that still deserves a scholarship offer from either of the in-state schools, its Blake Allred.

Allred should get a PWO from one or both schools. Whether it’s because Hill committed so the cats are trying to snag one more in-state LB or some other reason, he is good enough (in my opinion) to warrant a PWO from UM and MSU. Or both.

1972 said:
I don't ever remember the Griz dominating the state like they have this year. Maybe back when the rivalry was so lopsided. With all of the Cats coaches and their contacts in Montana, just surprising. Don't believe anyone can say that we didn't recruit enough MT kids.

Have some perspective here guys. The last time the state was dominated by one school in recruiting was two years ago...by the Cats in 2016. You could argue last year was just as good for the Cats but I liked a lot of the Griz's partial commits from in-state that kept the year fairly even overall.

In regards to this year, MSU reportedly offered Sulser, Turner, Graves, and Germer similar/equal offers to the Griz. The Griz got those kids so they won those battles and, in doing so, won the state in my opinion.
So if we are talking about recent years, the in-state class the Griz have built this year is similar to the one MSU built last year. The Griz got the core of the Top 5 talent and picked up value pieces with partials or PWOs. MSU did the same thing last year.

1972 said:

I’ve always watched recruiting in the state of Montana, this is just my first year of publicly posting my thoughts, and I have to agree with you. Earlier this year I thought MSU would win the in state battle. It seemed that Stitt didn’t quite “value” MT kids as much as he did with out of state kids (he still got quality MT kids don’t get me wrong). Last couple years Choate seemed to value MT kids and gave them what they deserved/earned. But throughout this year it seemed that cats drug their feet with some MT kids, tried to get them for as cheep as they could. Hauck comes in and gives these kids the offer they deserve. Now, Stitt did get the earlier recruits this year, but Hauck would have gotten them too.

VimSince03 said:
Paytonlives said:
VimSince03 said:
VimSince03 said:

Well put VIM.

Braxton has the potential to be a great linebacker. I hope they get them both.

I really can't see the Griz prioritizing Hill over Allred. Allred has owned Montana AA for 2 years now. My previous post pointed out that Allred had more defensive points than Keaton Anderson and Nolan Askelson in 2016 and he had arguably a bigger impact after having watched them play live a couple times. He was a huge part of one of the best teams EVER(double digit victories entire season)in MT, twice! 2017 was not a let down by any means for Allred as he was a FB nobody noticed or mentioned. I saw it on the tail end of his Senior Hudl. Because he can block really well it appears there wasn't enough touches or spotlight left at Senior for him with Sulser and Askelson. I would really hate to lose him to the kitties with a chip on his shoulder.

Been friends with and worked along side Blake Hempstead for many years. He was kind enough to share his story on Anaconda's Braxton Hill committing to the Griz earlier today. Blake covered Braxton's entire career for the Copperheads -

Anaconda's Hill commits to the Griz - https://skylinesportsmt.com/39077-2/

HowardRoss280 said:
1972 said:

I’ve always watched recruiting in the state of Montana, this is just my first year of publicly posting my thoughts, and I have to agree with you. Earlier this year I thought MSU would win the in state battle. It seemed that Stitt didn’t quite “value” MT kids as much as he did with out of state kids (he still got quality MT kids don’t get me wrong). Last couple years Choate seemed to value MT kids and gave them what they deserved/earned. But throughout this year it seemed that cats drug their feet with some MT kids, tried to get them for as cheep as they could. Hauck comes in and gives these kids the offer they deserve. Now, Stitt did get the earlier recruits this year, but Hauck would have gotten them too.

I agree, not trying to start a Cat/Griz argument. The cats got a couple of good kids dont' get me wrong. I mean it was a lot different when the Griz dominated for so many years, not only the cats, but the conference, you could see why this was happening. The cats have so many coaches that coached or played in Montana, just kinda surprised how its all played out.

VimSince03 said:
dayday said:
VimSince03 said:
VimSince03 said:

I think Allred will still get a PWO from us. I don’t see why both schools wouldn’t. It’s a low risk move.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

But there are only so many available. Key thing to remember is a PWO guarantees the kid a spot on the 94-man roster when fall camp begins.

I disagree because he is grayshirting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Word is that the MonDak selections are out...my opinion the best indicator of who the top 34 recruits are in the state. Be interesting to compare to the predictions on this board. Also interesting to see if the selections reflect the super state and USA Today state selections. Waiting with bated breath for the rosters to be announced.

obiwan said:
Word is that the MonDak selections are out...my opinion the best indicator of who the top 34 recruits are in the state. Be interesting to compare to the predictions on this board. Also interesting to see if the selections reflect the super state and USA Today state selections. Waiting with bated breath for the rosters to be announced.

You have to fill certain positions so it might not exactly be the best 34 kids from the state, but damn close. But with kids playing both ways, you can get even closer.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/sethschneider34/status/956967846432550913[/tweet]

First FCS team to offer Seth as far as I can see. Assuming he commits to Idaho if UM or MSU doesn’t offer. Seth is the type of player who you don’t want going to a school who you will be playing every year.

HowardRoss280 said:
obiwan said:

You have to fill certain positions so it might not exactly be the best 34 kids from the state, but damn close. But with kids playing both ways, you can get even closer.

Good point. I wonder what the criteria ultimately is. A lot (if not most) of c through a all staters that will be elected play both ways and many have been all state on both sides of the ball--obviously more rare in aa. I'm wondering how much of the selection criteria is based on pure football athleticism versus mastery of a particular position. Fun to consider and speculate either way. Tons of skilled and talented kids playing in very different settings and situations in my, so it's always interesting to see how it all boils down.

obiwan said:
HowardRoss280 said:
obiwan said:

Good point. I wonder what the criteria ultimately is. A lot (if not most) of c through a all staters that will be elected play both ways and many have been all state on both sides of the ball--obviously more rare in aa. I'm wondering how much of the selection criteria is based on pure football athleticism versus mastery of a particular position. Fun to consider and speculate either way. Tons of skilled and talented kids playing in very different settings and situations in my, so it's always interesting to see how it all boils down.

The head coach for the Montana team chooses the roster for the Badlands Bowl. Different from the Shrine Game where there is a committee.

HowardRoss280 said:

First FCS team to offer Seth as far as I can see. Assuming he commits to Idaho if UM or MSU doesn’t offer. Seth is the type of player who you don’t want going to a school who you will be playing every year.

Other thing to consider here: Idaho has multiple people on their football staff from Helena, MT, and more specifically, Helena Capital HS. Paul Petrino, Head Coach, Troy Purcell who coaches TEs, and Bobby Daly, linebackers coach. Last year, Idaho was also showing interest in Seth’s teammate, Carson Shuman, they had him in for a visit according to Twitter. It makes sense that Helena Capital alums would try to snag some Helena Capital kids, especially one like Seth, who hasn’t received an offer from a FCS school as far as we can tell.

HowardRoss280 said:

I've heard mention about his "antics". You dont think Bobby could keep him in check? Kid looks good in his highlight tape. Potential with discipline doesnt trump the other issues?

Like you said, I'd rather not see him on an opponents sideline.

GrizLogger said:
HowardRoss280 said:

I've heard mention about his "antics". You dont think Bobby could keep him in check? Kid looks good in his highlight tape. Potential with discipline doesnt trump the other issues?

Like you said, I'd rather not see him on an opponents sideline.

You are exactly right, I too have heard that teams are veering away from him because of his on-field antics.
This is just speculation on my part, but I don’t think it’s necessarily wether Bobby could handle him or not, it’s the fact that’s they don’t think it’s worth it. I’m sure he would be disciplined and put on the straight and narrow at UM, the coaching staff just doesn’t want to.
If it means anything, I’m very high on Seth, I think he has the tools to be a very good football player at the FCS level.

VimSince03 said:
obiwan said:
HowardRoss280 said:
obiwan said:

The head coach for the Montana team chooses the roster for the Badlands Bowl. Different from the Shrine Game where there is a committee.
More news. Head coach: tony Armstrong, Helena. assistants:Scott Evans, Helena; Ryan Buckley, Glendive;Bryce Carver, Hamilton; Mike Wheat, Shelby; Mike Cutier, Clark Fork. Anyone have any predictions/ revisions to theoretical roster based on that info? Regardless of coaches im sticking to super state plus first and second team USA Today Montana all USA first and second team seniors plus a few.

Back