• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Swagger" is the Stupidest Goal Ever

Spanky said:
TCCGRIZ said:
Spanky said:
AllWeatherFan said:
And you posted in the stupidest thread ever.
Our teams need confidence and positive body language, not swagger.

AWWWW Isn't that sweet maybe we can all go around and tell everyone "gosh darn it I am good enough, I'm smart enough , and doggone it people like me .
Tomato ,Tomhato, Ketchup
Well, we have toget along. Maybe you are a tough guy, with swagger?

Met an O lineman that played from 2001-04 , One of the nicest guys on the planet ,very respectful in every regard . Yet from what I am told you put pads on him and send him out on the line "like a Grizzly bear with a sore ass" is how it was described to me . He knew whoever was across from him he was going to manhandle and have his way with him. Met quite a few other players and shall we say "they had the same air about them" .
And no ! " I do not consider myself a tough guy" ,just a simple guy born and raised in Butte America !!! ;)

TCCGRIZ said:
Spanky said:
TCCGRIZ said:
Spanky said:
Our teams need confidence and positive body language, not swagger.

AWWWW Isn't that sweet maybe we can all go around and tell everyone "gosh darn it I am good enough, I'm smart enough , and doggone it people like me .
Tomato ,Tomhato, Ketchup
Well, we have toget along. Maybe you are a tough guy, with swagger?

Met an O lineman that played from 2001-04 , One of the nicest guys on the planet ,very respectful in every regard . Yet from what I am told you put pads on him and send him out on the line "like a Grizzly bear with a sore ass" is how it was described to me . He knew whoever was across from him he was going to manhandle and have his way with him. Met quite a few other players and shall we say "they had the same air about them" .
And no ! " I do not consider myself a tough guy" ,just a simple guy born and raised in Butte America !!! ;)
Lived in Butte among other places myself. Great town!

Spanky said:
reinell30 said:
For those fans that don't like swagger and DOLA and dominance all around, you will have your chance to give up your season tickets this coming spring. I don't want anyone to have to put up with this kind of thing.

Thanks. Arrogance is the way for proper sportsmanship, correct?

If you are a winner or shall I say a winning team who competes for championships, than arrogance is really not too bad of a thing...

I’m fine with the term Swagger but it’s way over used. The athlete who had “swag” before the word existed was Scott Zannon. Flat out competitive and could back it up. I can post this here because he did play one year of football!

I do miss the days of having confident hard hitting DB's and OL that protect their QB's/HB's. Hauck certainly will instill that at those positions. Imagine a few more JD Quinn types. I wonder, which Stitt OL recruit has that kind of attitude and Bad Assery? Man, do I ever miss the likes of JD.

mtgrizrule said:
I do miss the days of having confident hard hitting DB's and OL that protect their QB's/HB's. Hauck certainly will instill that at those positions. Imagine a few more JD Quinn types. I wonder, which Stitt OL recruit has that kind of attitude and Bad Assery? Man, do I ever miss the likes of JD.
We will have them again if Bobby is the coach

mtgrizrule said:

Watch #78 Brandon Scott. If you have ANY of the games DVR'ed, go towards the end where the 2nd string line is in....dude is a road grader...with a chip on his shoulder. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

reinell30 said:
Spanky said:
reinell30 said:
For those fans that don't like swagger and DOLA and dominance all around, you will have your chance to give up your season tickets this coming spring. I don't want anyone to have to put up with this kind of thing.

If you are a winner or shall I say a winning team who competes for championships, than arrogance is really not too bad of a thing...

I like your thinking 30. But we must remember if "we have to talk about Swagger" , then we don't have it .
Kinda sad really , Griz had it for a loong time

reinell30 said:
RayWill said:
reinell30 said:
Just think, when Bobby gets back, season tickets will become valuable again, the stadium will fill up again, the crowd will get loud again, the tailgates will have football conversations again, the Griz will rise back to the top, we will go to the National championship game again!
A lot of folks actually aren't happy with the idea of Bobby. They didn't all like Stitt either but they really don't like Hauck. You guys have lifted him up to a God in your eyes and are in for a huge letdown. This is not going to turn out the way you dream it.

Let me guess, you didn't like Stitt and you don't like Bobby either. Do you have someone else in mind?

I was Neutral on Stitt. I was starting to like his offense but hated the defense. I actually liked Bobby but have more realistic expectations than most of his supporters do. He will not come in in year one and magically turn everything into rainbows. I don't believe there is a coach in the world that will. Bobby is at least a known commodity. Would rather have that than take a huge gamble.

I know though that several large donors do support him others hate him. The media hated him he was not a good ambassador on that front promoting the university. I just think it is funny that so many think he would win every game next year etc and acting like he will be the Messiah of Grizzly football. He will probably overall be better than what we had but the odds of him repeating the success he had right away is not that great.

RayWill said:
reinell30 said:
RayWill said:
reinell30 said:
Just think, when Bobby gets back, season tickets will become valuable again, the stadium will fill up again, the crowd will get loud again, the tailgates will have football conversations again, the Griz will rise back to the top, we will go to the National championship game again!
A lot of folks actually aren't happy with the idea of Bobby. They didn't all like Stitt either but they really don't like Hauck. You guys have lifted him up to a God in your eyes and are in for a huge letdown. This is not going to turn out the way you dream it.

Let me guess, you didn't like Stitt and you don't like Bobby either. Do you have someone else in mind?

I was Neutral on Stitt. I was starting to like his offense but hated the defense. I actually liked Bobby but have more realistic expectations than most of his supporters do. He will not come in in year one and magically turn everything into rainbows. I don't believe there is a coach in the world that will. Bobby is at least a known commodity. Would rather have that than take a huge gamble.

I know though that several large donors do support him others hate him. The media hated him he was not a good ambassador on that front promoting the university. I just think it is funny that so many think he would win every game next year etc and acting like he will be the Messiah of Grizzly football. He will probably overall be better than what we had but the odds of him repeating the success he had right away is not that great.
We will see, Ray. Remember, Bobby is a coach.

...one of two things are going on...
...haslem is using the word swagger...
...he's either watching john wayne movies...
...spending some of his leasure time on egriz...

... :shock: ...

zengriz said:

Nice! I’m guessing he’s utilizing egriz to help with decision making

TCCGRIZ said:
reinell30 said:
Spanky said:
reinell30 said:

I like your thinking 30. But we must remember if "we have to talk about Swagger" , then we don't have it .

Precisely, we don't have it, the remnants of it left with Pflu! Bobby's teams earned it! This is why we must recover it, for all of Griz Nation! We will again walk the walk and talk the talk, I feel it!

RayWill said:
reinell30 said:
RayWill said:
reinell30 said:

I believe he is much better then what we just had. Now to be fair, Mr. Bob Stitt left this Griz team LOADED with Talent! Therefore, with what Bobby has done in the past, if he has any ability to coach like he used to, this team is going to sparkle. Yes, people have to thank Bob Stitt for fantastic recruiting!

I like Bob Stitt as a person and a coach. After his 3rd year, I realized he will never get a team to the NC at this level. I wish no bad towards him at all, hell, he was a winning coach! But I do believe it was time to part ways.

AllWeatherFan said:
grizrgood said:
AllWeatherFan said:
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

Honest question: Swagger means earned confidence to me but even using your dictionary definition of swagger would you rather have swagger or what we have experienced the last several years ?

Honest answer: To me, words have meaning, and there is a big difference between confidence and "swagger." I don't like swagger, and I generally think people who exhibit it are insecure. So I can't think of any situation in which I'd prefer swagger. But that's just me.
I think you are confusing swagger and bluster

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

reinell30 said:
TCCGRIZ said:
reinell30 said:
Spanky said:

Precisely, we don't have it, the remnants of it left with Pflu! Bobby's teams earned it! This is why we must recover it, for all of Griz Nation! We will again walk the walk and talk the talk, I feel it!

"Amen brother Amen :thumb:

zengriz said:

I'm guessing he was dumbing it down for the gaggle of geniuses that is eGriz.

Back