• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

"Swagger" is the Stupidest Goal Ever

Ringneck said:
SaskGriz said:
I think some people have this ass backwards; you don't have swagger and confidence and then you win, you win and that gives you swagger/confidence. Swagger before winning doesn't make you a winner, it makes you Brian Bosworth, or Tony Mandrich, or Lavar Ball. Winning gives you the confidence/swagger; Larry Bird, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis.

Right on. :thumb:

In this situation, the swagger comes from the program and coach. Montana is a "blue chip" program so to speak when looking within the realm of FCS football. You are are (expected to be) a winner from the moment you sign your LOI, hence the need to find a coach which will return the "swagger".

AllWeatherFan said:
I was disappointed to read that Kent Haslam said: "I do think we need to get that toughness back, that swagger."

Look, I like and respect Kent, but there are plenty of successful coaches out there who are humble, calm, focused, strict, prepared, grounded, disciplined...and who love to win, but couldn't give a shit about "swagger."

John Wooden, for example. Perhaps the most successful college coach in history, in any sport.

Do you think Johnny W would have tolerated, much less encouraged, his players out there strutting around and acting like idiots? I think not. In fact, I think he would have sat their cocky asses on the bench.

Swagger is a style, not a goal. But there are coaches who are extremely successful who have a different style. Let's allow for that possibility. We don't need any more cocky blowhards in positions of leadership in this world.

+1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swagger in the sense that I think Kent meant was confidence.

Confidence that our players need to have- we are going to win this game- i.e. "Knowing they will win before the game starts.

Confidence that our opponents need to have in us- they are going to win this game- intimidated before the game starts

Intimdated by having to come to Washington Grizzly Stadium.

Not having these because we are ass....les but because we have self belief. We have earned the respect of opponents by playing hard as heck and winning. Winning brings back the Swagger Kent is talking about and what everyone else on here is talking about I think. Not arrogant ass..leness. We lost this "swagger" when we started losing more games. Whoever the coach is we need it back.

driftwood said:
Ringneck said:
SaskGriz said:
I think some people have this ass backwards; you don't have swagger and confidence and then you win, you win and that gives you swagger/confidence. Swagger before winning doesn't make you a winner, it makes you Brian Bosworth, or Tony Mandrich, or Lavar Ball. Winning gives you the confidence/swagger; Larry Bird, Deion Sanders, Ray Lewis.

Right on. :thumb:

In this situation, the swagger comes from the program and coach. Montana is a "blue chip" program so to speak when looking within the realm of FCS football. You are are (expected to be) a winner from the moment you sign your LOI, hence the need to find a coach which will return the "swagger".

I understand what you're saying, driftwood, but I disagree.

Confidence - if that's the definition of swagger we're going with - can't simply be inherited or passed down through a program. It must be earned by each new generation. The downward slide of the UM football program, and the University itself, can be attributed at least in part to leadership's gross mishandling of success. The University and its programs have tried to coast along on their past successes and reputation. That doesn't work, as they have so clearly demonstrated. All it takes is a scandal or two, or a substandard season or two, and you discover that what got you here won't get you there.

I don't care who the next coach is - Hauck, whomever - their reputation and personal swagger cannot magically turn the team into a championship contender. He can motivate, teach, and equip them to succeed, but he can't do it for them. Coaching is overrated. Execution is under-appreciated.

NorthEndZoneDan said:
Wooden? Dan Gable won 15 titles, c'mon man.
I will just leave this here.
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fvvaPtuQFSo[/youtube]

Hell of an old fashioned, acceptable hit. If that would have happened this year, he would have been ejected from the game for targeting. Go figure !! :roll:

grizcountry420 said:
Butte5518 said:
How does averaging 10 losses every year in his last gig give ANYONE "swagger"....

Welcome to egriz. Now go back to the hole you crawled out of..

With respect, is it not a fair question to ask as we consider our next coach? He averaged 10 losses per year... not the stellar record I was hoping to lead the next era of Griz football...

TCCGRIZ said:
This thread is just confirms what we have been missing and why we got our asses kicked Saturday.
Talk about stupid

Now that's the kind of swagger I'm talkin' 'bout!

:roll:

AllWeatherFan said:
The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?

I prefer the urban dictionary for today’s usage...

“How one presents him or her self to the world. Swagger is shown from how the person handles a situation. It can also be shown in the person's walk.”

DuCharme said:
AllWeatherFan said:
The dictionary defines it as: "to conduct oneself in an arrogant or superciliously pompous manner; especially: to walk with an air of overbearing self-confidence."

You want that?

“How one presents him or her self to the world. Swagger is shown from how the person handles a situation. It can also be shown in the person's walk.”

Ahh, UrbanDictionary. What a reputable source.

SaskGriz said:

well said

Butte5518 said:
grizcountry420 said:
Butte5518 said:
How does averaging 10 losses every year in his last gig give ANYONE "swagger"....

With respect, is it not a fair question to ask as we consider our next coach? He averaged 10 losses per year... not the stellar record I was hoping to lead the next era of Griz football...

5518, you are hopeful for Saban aren't you....

HelenaHandBasket said:
Butte5518 said:
grizcountry420 said:
Butte5518 said:

naaa - I am simply pointing out the fact that our "great savior" has as great of a losing record as he does a winning record... who is the real Bobby Hauck and that is what makes me nervous...

Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Butte5518 said:
grizcountry420 said:

naaa - I am simply pointing out the fact that our "great savior" has as great of a losing record as he does a winning record... who is the real Bobby Hauck and that is what makes me nervous...

I guess you also see Montana as the UNLV of FCS

the 2009 team was the definition of "swagger". just look at the replay of the semi final game in Wa-Griz. If you think that's a bad thing to strive for... you need to seek help.

Stop_HammerTime69 said:
DuCharme said:
AllWeatherFan said:

You want that?

Ahh, UrbanDictionary. What a reputable source.

I get ya. And agree. But that’s beside the point.

HelenaHandBasket said:
Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Butte5518 said:

I know you are not as uneducated as you portray... WE all know he does great when handed a winning program, and crappy when he commits to turn around a poor program... it is just that obvious... How are you sure you are getting the winner and not the loser?

Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:
Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

I know you are not as uneducated as you portray... WE all know he does great when handed a winning program, and crappy when he commits to turn around a poor program... it is just that obvious... How are you sure you are getting the winner and not the loser?

I don't know he is a winner. I also don't necessarily agree with the statement of yours I bolded. He was handed a good thing at Montana, but he was able to maintain a level well beyond what he was handed and put his own stamp on it. As for UNLV, he didn't succeed at building that program, but it would seem that he is not the only one to fail there. I am cautiously optimistic about Hauck, but I in no way think anything will be automatic. By the way, I don't think I have seen you suggest any names for the HC position.

HelenaHandBasket said:

Butte5518 said:
HelenaHandBasket said:

Ok, you two need to stop. I know I agree with Butte on this, but this bickering is ridiculous. We all want the best for the same team. We cheer in the same damn stadium. We have the same goal in mind. Quit it.

Back