• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So Ut

Everett, you are the one who started this thread and made this post about how to get from NAU to SU. By the way, it wasn't a "morning game". If you can't articulate what you are trying to say, sorry, but we can't help you.

"Post by EverettGriz » Sat Dec 30, 2017 10:57 am

Nice scheduling, BSC. I’m sure it was pleasant getting from Flagstaff to wherever the f*** So Ut is to get ready for a morning game."

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
When you're 6'9 240 coiled into a bus seat for five and half hours, then you gotta get to the gym by 9:00 am to get ready to play? I'd say pretty damn hard. Fortunately the GRIZ used the thinly veiled attempt to gain a competitive advantage to fire them up. Kudos to TDC, the staff and the players for handling the adversity the way they did.

As Mouse said, it's not hard at all. Pretty easy. Of course, he played the game, so he understands things like this.

Would you take your team to the gym at 9am for a 12:30 game? I wouldn't.

Do you think bus seats are smaller than airplane seats?

Clearly you've never played the game.

Travis certainly disagrees with you. Ima go out on a limb and say he knows a tad more about basketball than even you. Every coach in the conference calls this, by far, the toughest travel trip of the year. And that's playing Thurs night Sat night, not Thursday night, Sat morning. I suspect they know a bit more than you as well. GrizJournal seems to disagree with you. He knows more about basketball than you do.

Huh. Maybe you're just wrong..... WOW!!! MIND BLLLLOOOOOWNNNN

Okay, let prepare hoops credentials. I started for Bozeman high. How about you? My father-in-law was a college basketball coach. One of our kids was the captain and mvp of CMR.

What's ya got, Everett? Other than a big mouth?

I just don't see how a 5 hr bus ride is a big deal.

Here are the hoops credentials of someone who disagrees with you.

I'm sure your time at Bozeman high taught you more about the game than he could ever know though :lol:

Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
As Mouse said, it's not hard at all. Pretty easy. Of course, he played the game, so he understands things like this.

Would you take your team to the gym at 9am for a 12:30 game? I wouldn't.

Do you think bus seats are smaller than airplane seats?

Travis certainly disagrees with you. Ima go out on a limb and say he knows a tad more about basketball than even you. Every coach in the conference calls this, by far, the toughest travel trip of the year. And that's playing Thurs night Sat night, not Thursday night, Sat morning. I suspect they know a bit more than you as well. GrizJournal seems to disagree with you. He knows more about basketball than you do.

Okay, let prepare hoops credentials. I started for Bozeman high. How about you? My father-in-law was a college basketball coach. One of our kids was the captain and mvp of CMR.

I'm sure your time at Bozeman high taught you more about the game than he could ever know though :lol:

Please point out where the expert says that a 5 hour bus ride on the Friday between a Thursday game and a Saturday game is too much or too difficult. That was my discussion with Everett. Had nothing to do with a 12:30 game. That's a different subject.

Do you think a 5 hour bus ride is a big deal on the day before a game? Let's see your answer.

Jeez, not too long ago, the games were on Fridays and Saturdays with no travel day in-between.

How may 5 hour bus rides did your son have in college, or maybe there is Mouse?

We had lots of 5 hour bus rides in the Big 32. And we played back to back games. We had multiple 5 hour bus rides when I played college ball. Sorry, just wasn't a big deal. Historically, the Griz football team has had lots of 5 hour or more bus rides.

Put up or shut up. I want to see your quotes.

PlayerRep said:
Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Please point out where the expert says that a 5 hour bus ride on the Friday between a Thursday game and a Saturday game is too much or too difficult. That was my discussion with Everett. Had nothing to do with a 12:30 game. That's a different subject.

Do you think a 5 hour bus ride is a big deal on the day before a game? Let's see your answer.

Jeez, not too long ago, the games were on Fridays and Saturdays with no travel day in-between.

How may 5 hour bus rides did your son have in college?

We had lots of 5 hour bus rides in the Big 32. And we played back to back games. We had multiple 5 hour bus rides when I played college ball. Sorry, just wasn't a big deal. Historically, the Griz football team has had lots of 5 hour or more bus rides.

Did you listen to the post game interview after the NAU game?

DeCuire made it very clear in the post game interview that he was not happy about the time the SUU game was scheduled on that road trip. The specifics were not discussed but it's pretty clear what DeCuire had a problem with. You're just picking one part of Everett's opinion and latching onto that while knowing damn well it's a combination of things (not just the bus trip).

It's sad how you hijack damn near every thread where certain posters expressed an opinion, try to nitpick one part (often twisting it) & turn the thread into some kind of lame dick measuring contest where you're the only one whipping out "credentials".

Anyway, have fun with your contest and maybe you can stop by DeCuire's office to explain why he's wrong too. Use your Bozeman high credentials to impress him and I'm sure he'll see the error of his ways :lol:

Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

DeCuire made it very clear in the post game interview that he was not happy about the time the SUU game was scheduled on that road trip. The specifics were not discussed but it's pretty clear what DeCuire had a problem with. You're just picking one part of Everett's opinion and latching onto that while knowing damn well it's a combination of things (not just the bus trip).

It's sad how you hijack damn near every thread where certain posters expressed an opinion, try to nitpick one part (often twisting it) & turn the thread into some kind of lame dick measuring contest where you're the only one whipping out "credentials".

Anyway, have fun with your contest and maybe you can stop by DeCuire's office to explain why he's wrong too. Use your Bozeman high credentials to impress him and I'm sure he'll see the error of his ways :lol:

Can you quote where DeCuire said that a 5 hour bus ride is too long? I must have missed when he said that. Or, are you too lazy to provide your proof?

No, wasn't nitpicking what Everett said. I took his initial post, and commented on it.

Again, Potomac, please give us your view on whether a 5 hour bus ride on a off travel day is a big deal. You don't even have the balls to answer the question, because you know damn well that a 5 hour bus ride is not a big deal.

Saying that a 5 hour bus ride isn't a big deal is not hijacking a thread. And it looks to me that you are trying to make yours appear bigger than it is. You are the hijacker and the D measurer in this thread.

DeCuire didn't like that early game start time and the early shoot around. Had UM chartered a flight from Flagstaff to Cedar City, DeCuire would probably have the exact same complaint.

Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:
Potomac Griz said:
PlayerRep said:

Whoa!! Poto with an early POTY candidate. This is so spot-on it'll take professional cleaners a week to get it out.

DeCuire didn't like that early game start time and the early shoot around.

Psssst. This is what the thread is about. Glad you could join the party 4 days and 5 pages later.

EverettGriz said:
DeCuire didn't like that early game start time and the early shoot around.

Psssst. This is what the thread is about. Glad you could join the party 4 days and 5 pages later.

Nope. Your first post, which I responded to, talked about getting from Flagstaff to SU. You also mentioned a “morning” game. There was no morning game.

Football teams, with bigger guys, bus 5 hours or more all the time, and then get up to play games at noon or 1. Why is it such a hardship for a basketball team?

Why are you so inarticulate? Why can’t you just say what you claim to be thinking?

PuffyRep never loses an argument! Even when he is wrong. He knows more than the coaching staff and he certainly knows more than YOU. He played the game. And if he didn’t, he had breakfast last week with somebody who did. This is why he garnered my two Brinty votes for thread killer of the year. He is a proven winner. You all should know that by now. He will do whatever it takes; hijack a thread, drop some big time names, tell us to whom he Is related, even cite his playing days at Bozeman High, circa 1961. So don’t mess with him. Winner.

I’d respond directly to PR, but the referee has stopped this bout. And rightfully so. No one should be subjected to this kind of beat down, even if it is fully deserved.

I am curious, however. When he scored (assuming that ever happened) at Bozo high, did he have to climb the ladder to get the ball from the peach basket, or was there someone designated to do that?

Buttegrizzle said:
PuffyRep never loses an argument! Even when he is wrong. He knows more than the coaching staff and he certainly knows more than YOU. He played the game. And if he didn’t, he had breakfast last week with somebody who did. This is why he garnered my two Brinty votes for thread killer of the year. He is a proven winner. You all should know that by now. He will do whatever it takes; hijack a thread, drop some big time names, tell us to whom he Is related, even cite his playing days at Bozeman High, circa 1961. So don’t mess with him. Winner.

This thread and argument within seem pretty petty. It's obvious based on the outcome of the game that neither the 5 hour bus ride nor the early shoot around and game time made any difference in the Griz performance.

The 5 hour trip on a day off isn't a big deal....and the early shoot around/game time would seem to have had a bigger effect on the home team. This isn't unexpected. Southern Utah seemed the team that didn't adjust to a weird Saturday game time because it was as "weird" for them as it was for the Griz.

Griz grabbed the momentum early....and I bet SU's coach wished his team could have taken a mulligan.

Glad someone finally stepped up to say that a 5 hr bus ride isn't a big deal.

I see that UND, which plays the Griz tonight in Missoula, is going to have to drive 3 or so hours in a bus on Friday, to play the Cats at 2pm on Saturday.

Saving 2 hours of bus ride through mountains/snow and playing 1.5 hours later on Saturday will presumably make all the difference in the world, right, Everett? Hopefully, UND doesn't have lots of big guys who will be uncomfortable in their seats.

Mouse, curious about a few things. First, you realize the post was made prior to the game, correct? Second, if the argument is indeed petty, why are so many knowledgeable fans and coaches making it? Finally, I’m curious why you feel SUU would schedule a noon start for a game which was attended by roughly 200 fans if not to gain a competitive advantage? Yes, UM didn’t let it bother them (and frankly I believe TDC used it as motivation). But why in the world would the game scheduled at that time otherwise?

Interested in your thoughts on those questions.

EverettGriz said:
Mouse, curious about a few things. First, you realize the post was made prior to the game, correct? Second, if the argument is indeed petty, why are so many knowledgeable fans and coaches making it? Finally, I’m curious why you feel SUU would schedule a noon start for a game which was attended by roughly 200 fans if not to gain a competitive advantage? Yes, UM didn’t let it bother them (and frankly I believe TDC used it as motivation). But why in the world would the game scheduled at that time otherwise?

The game was at 12:30, not noon. Where is your 200 fans things coming from? I would doubt the the game was scheduled for 12:30, or moved to 12:30, for competitive purposes.

The 200 fans is from watching it. And using that number is giving SUU a huuuuuge benefit, because to be honest, I don’t think there was 150 there.

Then why was it so early, pr? Certainly wasn’t attendance. Isn’t the normal time for games at Suu or in the bsc.

EverettGriz said:
The 200 fans is from watching it. And using that number is giving SUU a huuuuuge benefit, because to be honest, I don’t think there was 150 there.

Then why was it so early, pr? Certainly wasn’t attendance. Isn’t the normal time for games at Suu or in the bsc.

My understanding is that all SU home Sat games are at 12:30, except for TV games, and that that's what SU thought was best for them. But, I don't know SU's exact thinking. Don't think there's any league rule on game times. Don't know how you can know the time had nothing to do with attendance. Maybe fewer would have come at 2p, or 7pm.

Note the times of women's games on Saturdays, including the Lady Griz. Lots of 2pm games. The LG recently played Seattle in Missoula at noon. Again, UND plays the Cats at 2pm on Saturday. Some teams prefer earlier Sat. games so that they can get home more easily and at an earlier hour.

Just so happens that all teams that play Southern Utah at Southern Utah on saturday will be starting at 12:30pm throughout the rest of the season.

A 5 hour bus ride just wouldn't and shouldn't make a difference and it didn't except it likely changed the teams normal routine and I am guessing that is why Travis Decuire didn't like it so well.

EverettGriz said:
Mouse, curious about a few things. First, you realize the post was made prior to the game, correct? No I hadn't realize your post was made before the game. Second, if the argument is indeed petty, why are so many knowledgeable fans and coaches making it? Not sure...my assessment is weird game times are weird for both teams. Both teams have highly-conditioned 18 - 22 year old athletes that should easily adjust to 2 college basketball games within a 40 hour time period. Games with media timeouts each 4 minutes and plenty of other stoppages and rest periods. Road team has to take a bus for 5 of those 40 hours...the home team sits at home, or their dorm or wherever, and maybe doesn't eat as well, get their proper sleep or spends less time with game plan given less coach control during their 40 hour "break". Both teams get a shoot around on Friday and neither probably shows up that early for the 12PM game. A basketball game isn't a marathon. A highly exerting 2 hour stretch but with down lots of rest time in that 2 hour period. Finally, I’m curious why you feel SUU would schedule a noon start for a game which was attended by roughly 200 fans if not to gain a competitive advantage? I have no idea why SUU scheduled the game at this time, but as evidenced by the outcome, if for a competitive advantage, it sure didn't work. Yes, UM didn’t let it bother them (and frankly I believe TDC used it as motivation). But why in the world would the game scheduled at that time otherwise? See PR's posts.....lots of teams now scheduling back end of conference games in the afternoon. Many visiting teams might actually like getting done in the afternoon and getting back home on Saturday night vs. Sunday afternoon.

One observation I've made watching both youth AAU morning games and HS Saturday morning elimination tourney games.....they are very unpredictable. It seems much more mental than physical...the team ready to get their motors going sooner has the advantage.

Another observation.....not to be taken as a dig against our coach.....coaches whine a lot in trying to protect their kids. They whine when the ladies sometimes get the preferred practice time, they've always whined about the tough NAU trip, they whine when they play back to back nights, they whine when they have a Thursday night game followed by a day off and bus trip, followed by an earlier than normal Saturday game....and they whine at refs on calls they know are correct quite a bit too.

The shoot around was at 7 am. Not 9, Seven (7) am. I know TDC made it work, but that definately is not when you prefer to be warming up for a ROAD game. The biggest factor is rest for the guys who played 30-40 minutes on Thursday. A regular 7 pm Thursday and 7 pm Saturday schedule is what SO UT will get everywhere they go on the road so how dID they get to dictate a 12:30 start? Maybe it was so the Griz can catch the last stagecoach out of town at sunset?

Latest posts

Back