• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

So Ut

Smothering defensive effort leads Griz to lopsided win at SUU
https://skylinesportsmt.com/smothering-defensive-effort-leads-griz-to-lopsided-win-at-suu/

EverettGriz said:
TDC:

"Defense wins". We're competing with desperation. Our energy and enthusiasm is high.

Key is no let downs. Reminded them of the ORU game where we had a big lead and then let em back. Played well in all 4 segments. Keys defensively were on ball coverage, which is tough for teams. They had a rough time finding open guys. Had to pass it out a lot, and we rotated well. We scrapped. When we hustle, it'll be difficult for teams to get shots.

Short turnaround, long bus ride but no excuses. Not having school helped, we could focus on BB, and we got back into the room a little earlier since they didn't have studies. Carried over to how they played on the floor.

Season low in turnovers. I believe the more you pass the less you turn it over. Everyone gets a piece. The more you go one on one the more you turn it over. We're the aggressor and if we continue doing that we'll be fine on turnovers.

I don't know who else will sweep this trip. It's difficult, especially when they alter the schedule. This is a better team than they showed today. We just took a professional approach to the schedule.

ND is better than how they played against Idaho. It's a big week. UNC is playing well and scoring a ton. Hopefully we'll continue to be the aggressor.

The first sentence is absolutely key and I think it was objectively clear early on that this team was dedicated to defensive effort this year compared to the year prior. If they can keep it up all season and for 40+ minutes per game I think we will be a really good mid-major team.

Was pleasantly surprised at the absolute ass kicking we gave SUU when I got back from the ski trip today. I really expected a closer game! Glad I was wrong!

Anyway, is there a way to watch replays this year? Aside from hoping they come up on the BSC Pluto channel?

EverettGriz said:
TDC:

"Defense wins". We're competing with desperation. Our energy and enthusiasm is high.

Key is no let downs. Reminded them of the ORU game where we had a big lead and then let em back. Played well in all 4 segments. Keys defensively were on ball coverage, which is tough for teams. They had a rough time finding open guys. Had to pass it out a lot, and we rotated well. We scrapped. When we hustle, it'll be difficult for teams to get shots.

Short turnaround, long bus ride but no excuses. Not having school helped, we could focus on BB, and we got back into the room a little earlier since they didn't have studies. Carried over to how they played on the floor.

Season low in turnovers. I believe the more you pass the less you turn it over. Everyone gets a piece. The more you go one on one the more you turn it over. We're the aggressor and if we continue doing that we'll be fine on turnovers.

I don't know who else will sweep this trip. It's difficult, especially when they alter the schedule. This is a better team than they showed today. We just took a professional approach to the schedule.

ND is better than how they played against Idaho. It's a big week. UNC is playing well and scoring a ton. Hopefully we'll continue to be the aggressor.

Man looks like the Cats will probably sweep this weekend also. So much for TDC doubting anyone else would do it. :lol: :lol:

1972 said:
EverettGriz said:
TDC:

Man looks like the Cats will probably sweep this weekend also. So much for TDC doubting anyone else would do it. :lol: :lol:

Yeah, you, ahh, you completely missed TDC’s point.

There is sweeping via total domination. And there is squeaking. Kudus to the Cats sweeping but it’s just not at the TDC level now is it? The Cats have a superstar no doubt, but a one pony show is no match for this Griz team. Bank on it Skippy.

EverettGriz said:
1972 said:
EverettGriz said:
TDC:

Yeah, you, ahh, you completely missed TDC’s point.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

EverettGriz said:
Nice scheduling, BSC. I’m sure it was pleasant getting from Flagstaff to wherever the f*** So Ut is to get ready for a morning game.

God this conference sucks.

GO GRIZ!!

The drive from Flagstaff to Cedar City is less than 5 hours. How hard is that?

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
Nice scheduling, BSC. I’m sure it was pleasant getting from Flagstaff to wherever the f*** So Ut is to get ready for a morning game.

GO GRIZ!!

When you're 6'9 240 coiled into a bus seat for five and half hours, then you gotta get to the gym by 9:00 am to get ready to play? I'd say pretty damn hard. Fortunately the GRIZ used the thinly veiled attempt to gain a competitive advantage to fire them up. Kudos to TDC, the staff and the players for handling the adversity the way they did.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

GO GRIZ!!

When you're 6'9 240 coiled into a bus seat for five and half hours, then you gotta get to the gym by 9:00 am to get ready to play? I'd say pretty damn hard. Fortunately the GRIZ used the thinly veiled attempt to gain a competitive advantage to fire them up. Kudos to TDC, the staff and the players for handling the adversity the way they did.

Play Thursday night in Flagstaff....go to room and get good night's sleep....get up Friday pretty early and drive 5 hours to Cedar City....shoot around or practice....another good meal and quiet night in room. Get up the next morning and go beat up Southern Utah!

Life used to be so much easier than it is these days! And Wayne Tinkle used to agree with a ref's call against his team once or twice a year!

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

GO GRIZ!!

As Mouse said, it's not hard at all. Pretty easy. Of course, he played the game, so he understands things like this.

Would you take your team to the gym at 9am for a 12:30 game? I wouldn't.

Do you think bus seats are smaller than airplane seats?

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

GO GRIZ!!

As Mouse said, it's not hard at all. Pretty easy. Of course, he played the game, so he understands things like this.

Clearly you've never played the game.

Travis certainly disagrees with you. Ima go out on a limb and say he knows a tad more about basketball than even you. Every coach in the conference calls this, by far, the toughest travel trip of the year. And that's playing Thurs night Sat night, not Thursday night, Sat morning. I suspect they know a bit more than you as well. GrizJournal seems to disagree with you. He knows more about basketball than you do.

Huh. Maybe you're just wrong..... WOW!!! MIND BLLLLOOOOOWNNNN

PuffyRep is just casting about and flapping his arms as usual. FYI the shootaround was at 7 am according to Riley Corcoran. In his radio interview TDC was not at all pleased with the set up for this early game time. Kudus for persevering.

I don't claim to know more about basketball than anyone. I have watched Griz hoops for a long time, if that means anything! :?

Some coaches nowadays are equating the Grand Forks-to-Greely (or vice versa) trip just as bad, because both trips involve lengthy bus trips to the arenas. In fact, the Flagstaff-to-Cedar City (or... well you get it) trip involves TWO bus trips. It's always been a bad conference swing, but Montana coaches who were around when the southern road trip meant going to Flagstaff and then to Sacramento said it got way worse when adjusted to the "shorter" distance between Flagstaff & Cedar City swing, because you had the luxury FLYING from Phoenix to Sacramento (or vice versa).

At least, most coaches say, the weather has a chance of being decent in Arizona, making the bus trip between the two cities normally "not so hazardous." The weather in North Dakota is never good and often treacherous (like having to make a road trip from Missoula to Great Falls in January).

I'd love to hear an "official" reason from the folks at Southern Utah explaining exactly WHY the game was moved to noon. Couldn't have been to accomodate more fans, because it looked like there were only a couple of hundred in the arena. The official SUU box score listed the attendance at 1263 compared to 1473 when they hosted the Cats on Thursday.

1263 people at that game, and remarkably 1187 of them somehow simultaneously obtained the cloak of invisibility.

EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:

Travis certainly disagrees with you. Ima go out on a limb and say he knows a tad more about basketball than even you. Every coach in the conference calls this, by far, the toughest travel trip of the year. And that's playing Thurs night Sat night, not Thursday night, Sat morning. I suspect they know a bit more than you as well. GrizJournal seems to disagree with you. He knows more about basketball than you do.

Okay, let prepare hoops credentials. I started for Bozeman high. How about you? My father-in-law was a college basketball coach. One of our kids was the captain and mvp of CMR.

What's ya got, Everett? Other than a big mouth?

I just don't see how a 5 hr bus ride is a big deal.

PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
EverettGriz said:

Okay, let prepare hoops credentials. I started for Bozeman high. How about you? My father-in-law was a college basketball coach. One of our kids was the captain and mvp of CMR.

What's ya got, Everett? Other than a big mouth?

I just don't see how a 5 hr bus ride is a big deal.

oh, stop for chrissake!

Latest posts

Back