• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on defense going into this spring

BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:
PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:
Last year I bought into all the hype about how good/great our defense was going to be. This year I am going to just wait and see and then judge at seasons end...

Then you should have listened to me. Ha.
Lets face it, that game against' MSU was a total embarrassment, for both the team and fans alike. I don't want to ever sit thru something like that again! Not in Griz Nation! I know I don't have control over what really happens, but I can cheer and complain with the best!

Go Griz!

I know I'm posting the positive sugary version here but I agree with you Reinell - that was maybe the worst loss I've ever seen in Wa Griz, save a few of those 2012 games but we kind of knew that was coming... and I never want to experience something that like that again as fan. Yet I know I've got very little control over that occuring.

Again, you should have followed my lead, flew to Maui that morning, been over the ocean without internet during the game, and enjoyed Maui for 8 days without worry of the a bad loss to the Cats. Except for a flurry of texts that arrived seconds after we landed, I knew nothing and suffered little or no pain. Unfortunately, all of my teams sucked last fall.

PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:
PlayerRep said:
Then you should have listened to me. Ha.
Lets face it, that game against' MSU was a total embarrassment, for both the team and fans alike. I don't want to ever sit thru something like that again! Not in Griz Nation! I know I don't have control over what really happens, but I can cheer and complain with the best!

Go Griz!

. Unfortunately, all of my teams sucked last fall.

Including the cats?

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:
reinell30 said:

Go Griz!

Including the cats?

Cats aren't my team. TG is my friend, tho, and I do think the Cats will be coming on strong in the future.

Nice job helping bring the Griz down, Ursa. Keep up the good work. Proud of it, are you?

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
BWahlberg said:

Including the cats?

Cats aren't my time. TG is my friend, tho, and I do think the Cats will be coming on strong in the future.

Nice job helping bring the Griz down, Ursa. Keep up the good work. Proud of it, are you?
Happy to hear the cats aren't your "time". I think that might have been a Freudian slip. It seems like you vacillate cheering between Montana teams depending how they are doing at the "time'.

Alpha used to confront your covering-up and rationalizing of any reported Griz players' crimes. He was right. It's boosters like you that ruin a program. You let a fan base rot from the inside.

Lux et veritas.

Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Including the cats?

Cats aren't my time. TG is my friend, tho, and I do think the Cats will be coming on strong in the future.

Happy to hear the cats aren't your "time". I think that might have been a Freudian slip. It seems like you vacillate cheering between Montana teams depending how they are doing at the "time'.

Alpha used to confront your covering-up and rationalizing of any reported Griz players' crimes. He was right. It's boosters like you that ruin a program. You let a fan base rot from the inside.

Lux et veritas.

My view is that "fans" like yourself who don't support the team, and who bash the team at times, as well as spoiled and unrealistic fans, are the what weakens a fan base. This fan has zero influence on the athletic department. However, this fan has developed a great deal of loyalty over the years from some players and parents. They appreciate the support. They appreciate the understanding. They appreciate someone taking on the know-nothings.

PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:
PlayerRep said:
Ursa Major said:

Lux et veritas.

My view is that "fans" like yourself who don't support the team, and who bash the team at times, as well as spoiled and unrealistic fans, are the what weakens a fan base. This fan has zero influence on the athletic department. However, this fan has developed a great deal of loyalty over the years from some players and parents. They appreciate the support. They appreciate the understanding. They appreciate someone taking on the know-nothings.

:thumb: :clap:

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Let me understand your logic with this post. Probably the best scout in the nation for the Montana D personnel and approach is TG. So you're suggesting as MSU DC his knowledge would not be used in an MSU offensive game plan against that Montana D?? Likely one of the reasons he was hired in the first place. Come on; you know more football than that - which could be exposed if you would ever take off your rose colored glasses.
This is one reason I have said that I think the Griz would have won if TG had not gone to the Cats. TG also knew the Griz--and presumably had extra incentive to make a "parting" statement. I suspect the win was still bittersweet for him, as I know he loved the Griz, loved his time in Missoula, and loved the remaining players he knew and had recruited.
By the same logic, Stitt should have known TG's defensive tendencies and had a game plan to expose it. It started that way on the first play; after that, pretty much nothing. An MSU hero was made....

kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
Let me understand your logic with this post. Probably the best scout in the nation for the Montana D personnel and approach is TG. So you're suggesting as MSU DC his knowledge would not be used in an MSU offensive game plan against that Montana D?? Likely one of the reasons he was hired in the first place. Come on; you know more football than that - which could be exposed if you would ever take off your rose colored glasses.
This is one reason I have said that I think the Griz would have won if TG had not gone to the Cats. TG also knew the Griz--and presumably had extra incentive to make a "parting" statement. I suspect the win was still bittersweet for him, as I know he loved the Griz, loved his time in Missoula, and loved the remaining players he knew and had recruited.
By the same logic, Stitt should have known TG's defensive tendencies and had a game plan to expose it. It started that way on the first play; after that, pretty much nothing. An MSU hero was made....

Yes, he should have. Why didn't he? On the other hand, TG made immediately adjustments after the first play, and rest is history. Ha.

G5qkvK5.gif

PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

Yes, he should have. Why didn't he? On the other hand, TG made immediately adjustments after the first play, and rest is history. Ha.

Too bad those adjustments were rarely made when he prowled the Griz sidelines.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

Too bad you were and unable to see that the adjustments were made. The UM defense, in the last 3 years of TG as DC, was the top defense in the conference. You need to learn something about football or do some homework before you post your inaccuracies and BS.

Unless you count SUU. Tyler got better during his time at UM....but the big fluffy ain't that hard to excel in defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brewskis said:
Unless you count SUU. Tyler got better during his time at UM....but the big fluffy ain't that hard to excel in defensively.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Exactly. Having the best defense in the big sky is the equivalent to being the best dishwasher in prison. His defense was never going to be a top FCS D or lead us to a national title. Not sure if Semores will either. Willing to see though.

AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:
PlayerRep said:

So the head coach @ state ag just threw the keys to the tractor to Gregorak & said "have @ it?" Choate, for all but two years of his assistant coaching career worked on defense & special teams. Stitt & Semore both commented, before the game, that whatever was being played on-defense there didn't closely resemble much of what he put in the field when he was in Missoula.

So let's review, new gig, new boss with significant experience & influence on his side of the ball and opponents noting things appeared to have significantly changed. So what caused it, my guess is it wasn't a YouTube video, mail order DC course or the like. The difference on defense last season @ state ag was named Choate. If there's a star there, it's he head ball guy.

Ps. The adjustments continued not to be made on the Montana sideline. Didn't seem to matter much who was in charge.

bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:
kemajic said:

So the head coach @ state ag just threw the keys to the tractor to Gregorak & said "have @ it?" Choate, for all but two years of his assistant coaching career worked on defense & special teams. Stitt & Semore both commented, before the game, that whatever was being played on-defense there didn't closely resemble much of what he put in the field when he was in Missoula.

So let's review, new gig, new boss with significant experience & influence on his side of the ball and opponents noting things appeared to have significantly changed. So what caused it, my guess is it wasn't a YouTube video, mail order DC course or the like. The difference on defense last season @ state ag was named Choate. If there's a star there, it's he head ball guy.

Ps. The adjustments continued not to be made on the Montana sideline. Didn't seem to matter much who was in charge.

Okay, so you think it was Choate's defense? Do you think Choate instituted the defense in practice every day too? And was Choate calling the defense on the sidelines (and not TG from the press box)? Did Choate make the adjustments as the game went on and at halftime? Do you think Choate studied the Griz film and did the scheming for the Griz game too? No wonder the Cat offense struggled much of the time, but not against the Griz, if Choate was spending most of his time running the defense, paying little attention to the offense, and neglecting other head coach duties. What a cushy job TG must have up in the press box. Doesn't even have to get cold or wet. Just watches the game. Probably doesn't get to drink beer, tho.

PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:
PlayerRep said:

Okay, so you think it was Choate's defense? Do you think Choate instituted the defense in practice every day too? And was Choate calling the defense on the sidelines (and not TG from the press box)? Did Choate make the adjustments as the game went on and at halftime? Do you think Choate studied the Griz film and did the scheming for the Griz game too? No wonder the Cat offense struggled much of the time, but not against the Griz, if Choate was spending most of his time running the defense, paying little attention to the offense, and neglecting other head coach duties. What a cushy job TG must have up in the press box. Doesn't even have to get cold or wet. Just watches the game. Probably doesn't get to drink beer, tho.

I think yes pretty much covers it except for the drinking part. Not discussing "mistakes." Don't want to be too judgemental.

bgbigdog said:
PlayerRep said:
bgbigdog said:
AZGrizFan said:

I think yes pretty much covers it except for the drinking part. Not discussing "mistakes." Don't want to be too judgemental.

And assume you would admit that you don't have a clue on how any of this actually occurred or was done? I always chuckle when people with no info and no clue, just make up stuff.

Back