• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Questions on defense going into this spring

BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
Connor Strahm is unknown?
So you watched him fruitlessly try to tackle an 18 year old one dimensional QB, get stupid frustration fouls and you suggest there are no questions? TG knew where to run on this defense - QB draws right up the middle - the whole game without adjustment. With no threat to throw. That should beg a lot of questions. That film will be out there.

I saw him have a bad game, yep, we all did.

I also saw him lead the team in forced fumbles, finish 4th best in sacks, and lay out serious punishment and play damn good against UNI, SFU, SUU, MVSU, Sac, & EWU.

TG knew where to run? He's their DC and when he was at Montana Strahm wasn't his starting middle linebacker, Kose was. The cat offense attacked Strahm and the whole defense knowing that their QB, who is a better athlete/runner than every linebacker in the Big Sky, would have 1-on-1 situations (if even that), and would win that matchup just enough to seal the game.

Chris Murray had 142 rushing yards on 26 attempts in the game. One of them came on a 48 yard run. Besides that run he was held to 3.62 yards per attempt.

Additionally "no adjustment at the half" is dead wrong too.

Murray in the first half: 121 rushing yards and 2 rushing TDs
Murray in the second half: 21 rushing yards and 0 rushing TDs.

This is true. D did stiffen up the second half and adjusted but by then the damage was done especially because the offense had little juice in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dayday said:
BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
So you watched him fruitlessly try to tackle an 18 year old one dimensional QB, get stupid frustration fouls and you suggest there are no questions? TG knew where to run on this defense - QB draws right up the middle - the whole game without adjustment. With no threat to throw. That should beg a lot of questions. That film will be out there.

I also saw him lead the team in forced fumbles, finish 4th best in sacks, and lay out serious punishment and play damn good against UNI, SFU, SUU, MVSU, Sac, & EWU.

TG knew where to run? He's their DC and when he was at Montana Strahm wasn't his starting middle linebacker, Kose was. The cat offense attacked Strahm and the whole defense knowing that their QB, who is a better athlete/runner than every linebacker in the Big Sky, would have 1-on-1 situations (if even that), and would win that matchup just enough to seal the game.

Chris Murray had 142 rushing yards on 26 attempts in the game. One of them came on a 48 yard run. Besides that run he was held to 3.62 yards per attempt.

This is true. D did stiffen up the second half and adjusted but by then the damage was done especially because the offense had little juice in the 2nd half.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah, not entirely, they scored 10 in the 3rd, again largely thanks to one play, LeSane getting by Banks (I think) and rushing for 60 yards to set up a short TD a few plays later. Other than that the D did buckle down.

While the defense had a few glaringly bad breakdowns I don't really pin that loss on them but more on the offense. 9 consecutive series, 1 total first down and just 68 yards to show for it that spanned from 8:50 left in the first quarter until 4:30 left in in the third quarter. Then follow that up with two drives (not consecutively) that ended on the MSU side of the field in a turnover on downs. All that and they lost by 7.

To be fair, state ag went for 415/368 net yards, and I don't give a flying f$&k what that averages out to or how many long runs you can subtract from it. It was a team loss, and a poor defensive effort by most everyone not named Ryan.

Semore was late recognizing state ag didn't have much of a passing game. Can't blame him though, what did he have - ten games of film to determine what they might favor?

And you're right BW, Big Game Bob's side of the ball contributed their 50/99th's of it. I might be short a WR or two, sorry if there's any confusion.

reinell30 said:
Last year I bought into all the hype about how good/great our defense was going to be. This year I am going to just wait and see and then judge at seasons end...

I'm with you. Every year the hype drags me right in. On both sides of the ball actually and of course we have the best recruited class of all time. The bar has been lowered for me and the season starts with an average team and we will see where we go from there.

reinell30 said:
Last year I bought into all the hype about how good/great our defense was going to be. This year I am going to just wait and see and then judge at seasons end...

;)

BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Let me understand your logic with this post. Probably the best scout in the nation for the Montana D personnel and approach is TG. So you're suggesting as MSU DC his knowledge would not be used in an MSU offensive game plan against that Montana D?? Likely one of the reasons he was hired in the first place. Come on; you know more football than that - which could be exposed if you would ever take off your rose colored glasses.

reinell30 said:

Then you should have listened to me. Ha.

grizfan47 said:
reinell30 said:

I'm with you. Every year the hype drags me right in. On both sides of the ball actually and of course we have the best recruited class of all time. The bar has been lowered for me and the season starts with an average team and we will see where we go from there.

And I think a lot of the hype comes after they shut down the offense in spring......we now know that isn't a high bar

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Let me understand your logic with this post. Probably the best scout in the nation for the Montana D personnel and approach is TG. So you're suggesting as MSU DC his knowledge would not be used in an MSU offensive game plan against that Montana D?? Likely one of the reasons he was hired in the first place. Come on; you know more football than that - which could be exposed if you would ever take off your rose colored glasses.

This is one reason I have said that I think the Griz would have won if TG had not gone to the Cats. TG also knew the Griz--and presumably had extra incentive to make a "parting" statement. I suspect the win was still bittersweet for him, as I know he loved the Griz, loved his time in Missoula, and loved the remaining players he knew and had recruited.

reinell30 said:

I'm with you. Lets see how the season develops.

BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Murray had 142 NET rushing yards on 24 real rushing attempts. This includes big sacks of -11 and -12 yards. We watched him actually gain 163 yards on those 24 attempts (16 1st half/8 2nd half). He was still gaining yards late in the game when we needed a stop, 18 yards, 8 yards, etc. In these 24 rushes by the skinny kid, our MLB was credited with 1 assisted tackle. Passing threat - nill.

The adjustments in the second half were primarily those of MSU, protecting a lead, they elected to share the rushing load of the diminutive QB with their RBs; same result. They ran all over us.

So to again answer your question, I conclude the inconsistency of our MLB leaves him as a big unknown.

My bold prediction is our starting three LBs won't be 3/3 this year to last year. I think, especially if Stitt really does have a playoffs ultimatum, that you will see him go with some of his recruits instead of giving the upper-classmen the benefit of the doubt.

On the Semore note. having heard him speak, breakdown film, explain defensive concepts, the guy is very smart. I wonder if he struggled to "teach" the defense? Have to reach the players where they will learn it best. I am hopeful that whatever the issues were, adjustments have been made but I agree with those who have said we really will have no way of knowing until games start next fall. Anythign before then is just a guess on every side of the coin.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

His knowledge of Strahm and Buss was limited to them running in his system as backups and on ST - and he had basically scout team knowledge of Banks I think since he had to sit last year. So for sure he had some good prior knowledge on each player.

If Gregorak had intimate and detailed insight on each player then why did he not give the offense enough heads up to prevent Josh Buss from 11 stops, 2.5 TFLs, and 1 sack?

I get what you're saying and no I'm not meaning to imply that he wasn't any help with his knowledge of the Grizzly defense. If you ask me it seemed he maybe had the best grasp on how to rattle and totally shut down Brady G and the offense more than him feeding the cat offense on the best way to attack the Griz LBs.

kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:

Murray had 142 NET rushing yards on 24 real rushing attempts. This includes big sacks of -11 and -12 yards. We watched him actually gain 163 yards on those 24 attempts (16 1st half/8 2nd half). He was still gaining yards late in the game when we needed a stop, 18 yards, 8 yards, etc. In these 24 rushes by the skinny kid, our MLB was credited with 1 assisted tackle. Passing threat - nill.

The adjustments in the second half were primarily those of MSU, protecting a lead, they elected to share the rushing load of the diminutive QB with their RBs; same result. They ran all over us.

So to again answer your question, I conclude the inconsistency of our MLB leaves him as a big unknown.

Those 18 and 8 yards were runs 4 plays apart on the very last drive of the game. Yes there was a need for a stop and it didn't happen but painting it with a broad brush to just claim it was the entire 2nd half and no adjustment was made on Murray is incorrect. When it was possibly needed most it didn't happen, that won't cut it and I'm sure the coaches and players know this coming into this season.

And keep in mind I did agree Strahm had a bad game against MSU. But he also had a pretty damn great 1st half of the season including good showings against SFU, UNI, SUU, and EWU - all above average teams (I'll throw out the showings against MVSU and Sac since they were awful).

Unknown... I'd say no. Inconsistent, there you'd have a good argument.

PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:

/quote]
Lets face it, that game against' MSU was a total embarrassment, for both the team and fans alike. I don't want to ever sit thru something like that again! Not in Griz Nation! I know I don't have control over what really happens, but I can cheer and complain with the best!

Go Griz!

"When it was possibly needed most it didn't happen....." Man, that could be said in just about every loss last year...needed ONE stop at the end and couldn't muster it up.

reinell30 said:
PlayerRep said:
reinell30 said:

Lets face it, that game against' MSU was a total embarrassment, for both the team and fans alike. I don't want to ever sit thru something like that again! Not in Griz Nation! I know I don't have control over what really happens, but I can cheer and complain with the best!

Go Griz!

I know I'm posting the positive sugary version here but I agree with you Reinell - that was maybe the worst loss I've ever seen in Wa Griz, save a few of those 2012 games but we kind of knew that was coming... and I never want to experience something that like that again as fan. Yet I know I've got very little control over that occuring.

AZGrizFan said:
"When it was possibly needed most it didn't happen....." Man, that could be said in just about every loss last year...needed ONE stop at the end and couldn't muster it up.

Yup

BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:
BWahlberg said:
kemajic said:

His knowledge of Strahm and Buss was limited to them running in his system as backups and on ST - and he had basically scout team knowledge of Banks I think since he had to sit last year. So for sure he had some good prior knowledge on each player.

If Gregorak had intimate and detailed insight on each player then why did he not give the offense enough heads up to prevent Josh Buss from 11 stops, 2.5 TFLs, and 1 sack?

I get what you're saying and no I'm not meaning to imply that he wasn't any help with his knowledge of the Grizzly defense. If you ask me it seemed he maybe had the best grasp on how to rattle and totally shut down Brady G and the offense more than him feeding the cat offense on the best way to attack the Griz LBs.

Pretty sure Banks transferred in last year well after Ty left. He was a drop down and eligible to play immediately.

Back