• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question for those that know

cmtgrizzly said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Stitt's potential was still unrealized I think and so I think it can be questioned whether the problem was player or coach talent. I am not convinced it was either.
So why is it after three years we still can't beat teams with winning records or the lowly Bobcats? How can it be neither?

Agreed with Kem. I think we got a good idea of his offensive coaching potential. He was outcoached by state two years in a row. Got to give them credit, yes. But our guy did not get it done against the teams he needed to; simple as that.

I cant argue with you on this, as the objective data is in your favor. I just think a winning football team has both objective and subjective (intangible) qualities. Is it the coach that has to help develop the intangibles (attitude, confidence, etc)? Yes, but after the coaches are establishing the culture and getting players in place it can take more time to fully develop. To be honest I definitely think Stitt had a lot to learn coming in and our coaches were learning along with our players. UM fanbase etc just isnt patient enough to let that happen. I dont know if Stitt would have figured it out I just dont think he was given enough time to definitvely say so. Maybe he will get another chance somewhere else.
I don't think it is patience as much as not seeing the progress that should be happening after three years. Couldn't stand to see the stupid stuff that was happening any more. Yes, a lot of it on defense, but the dynamic offense could not score more than two TDs the last two years against a poor MSU team. More time would be just kicking the can down the road in my mind. Glad the decision was made now rather than waiting.

AZGrizFan said:
kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Stitt's potential was still unrealized I think and so I think it can be questioned whether the problem was player or coach talent. I am not convinced it was either.
So why is it after three years we still can't beat teams with winning records or the lowly Bobcats? How can it be neither?

Didn’t we beat a playoff team this year?
There's that one....

Funny, after reading this thread title, but before clicking, I knew who would be the first to respond.
What is AWF's signature again?

Defensive talent is very good. In the Griz-Cat game their were a few missed assignments but the back breaker were the two plays where MSU needed 30 plus yards for a first down and all out blitzes were called. One resulted in a 70 plus yard TD and the other resulted in a first down when. Two safe calls and MSU punts and UM probably wins the game.
Also take both of those plays out and MSU averages less than 4 yards a carry.

kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:

I'm convinced it was coaching, not talent.
Haslem made the right move and if he gets a quality coach as he did in Basketball, Griz Football will reap the rewards, with Stitt's recruits.

Funny. Same guys defending Stitt and his recruits were the same ones “bashing” Delaney and his recruits.

Only problem is those were the best athletes Stitt ever coached.

kemajic said:
1972 said:
Do you believe that Stitt left the program as a whole in better shape than when he was hired?
No. It slipped more each of his years.

Late to the party here but my thoughts;

QB - Yes. He came in with Gus/Chalich leaves the next coach Jensen/Dick/etc

RB - Yes. From Nguyen/Counts to Calhoun/Lee/Green/Moses.

WR - toss up. Stitt had Roberts/Jones/Hendu as upperclassmen. This group with Calhoun/Curran/JLM/Toure/Akem/etc could be better once their time is done as a group but need to see as the season goes.

OL - way better for sure.

DL - not sure here. Need to see if Fav or Rodriguez emerge as a dominant pass rusher. Fav showed that as the season went on. If not probably not as strong of a group, depth a concern.

LB - young talent at depth when he took over a group that had great starters and walk on backups. I think it’s better but again we need to see how 18 plays out.

CB - for now I’d say no but if Nash/Cowan’s/Egbo can step up that opinion could change.

S - probably not? But safety has been an issue for a while now across both staffs.

K/P - slight improvement I’d say.

I didn’t know Stitt, but I’m certain he is a very nice man.
Regarding coaching, he was in over his head and not qualified to coach at the FCS level.
If Bobby is hired, the players and parents will immediately see the difference. Bobby is a football coach and will prepare the players to win football games....lots of football games. He will teach them the basics of the game, thus, they will have confidence and positive body language when they run on the field.
Bobby will return the Griz to championship football.

Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:
Stitts recruiting was “alright” when you live in the UM recruiting bubble. Everyone wins there..

Average talent at best.

Shit, he recruited 30 receivers who can’t catch the ball. Keenan Curran was his #1 WR - that is terrible recruiting.

You could not be more wrong. The last two classes were much better then UM has had in quite sometime. Some people just don’t have much patience.

Stitt classes will be Juniors and sophomores next fall. It really lame to make the judgement of average, when you dont have much data. You just have an agenda of making Coach Stitt look bad at all cost.

+1

Not sure how you can compare anyone on this roster to Henderson, Jones, and Roberts. Head and shoulders above the current roster in talent and performance. I know they had more experience but they were making big plays before their junior year and were not piling up consecutive drops. Roberts was absolutely scary for an athlete that had not played football in nearly half of a decade... :egriz:

AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:
Stitts recruiting was “alright” when you live in the UM recruiting bubble. Everyone wins there..

Average talent at best.

Shit, he recruited 30 receivers who can’t catch the ball. Keenan Curran was his #1 WR - that is terrible recruiting.

More 2 & 3 star players than ever before. I don’t recall you flamespraying them when they were recruited. If you had inside knowledge about how “average” they were I’m sure Stitt would have loved to hear it.

Some people just can’t help being an ass.

Exactly. Need I remind you 5700, almost all the kids you just disparaged are still on the team.

rimrockgriz said:
Not sure how you can compare anyone on this roster to Henderson, Jones, and Roberts. Head and shoulders above the current roster in talent and performance. I know they had more experience but they were making big plays before their junior year and were not piling up consecutive drops. Roberts was absolutely scary for an athlete that had not played football in nearly half of a decade... :egriz:
Roberts only played his senior year so not sure how he could be “making big plays before his junior year” unless you were referring to the baseball diamond. I think Toure, Akeem, and about 3-4 others will make you forget about those three in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PhxGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

More 2 & 3 star players than ever before. I don’t recall you flamespraying them when they were recruited. If you had inside knowledge about how “average” they were I’m sure Stitt would have loved to hear it.

Exactly. Need I remind you 5700, almost all the kids you just disparaged are still on the team.

like how these same posters were throwing Gustafson under the bus in defense of Stitt?

Boohoo. Program over feelings.

AZGrizFan said:
rimrockgriz said:
Roberts only played his senior year so not sure how he could be “making big plays before his junior year” unless you were referring to the baseball diamond. I think Toure, Akeem, and about 3-4 others will make you forget about those three in a couple years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Happy Thanksgiving AZ. You'll have to pick one with someone else today :roll: ... :egriz:

griz5700 said:
PhxGriz said:
AZGrizFan said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

like how these same posters were throwing Gustafson under the bus in defense of Stitt?

Boohoo. Program over feelings.

I have a rule. Never criticize the players. Not hard to do, especially when they would squash the crap out of me on the field.

NewPapaBear said:
Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

You could not be more wrong. The last two classes were much better then UM has had in quite sometime. Some people just don’t have much patience.

Stitt classes will be Juniors and sophomores next fall. It really lame to make the judgement of average, when you dont have much data. You just have an agenda of making Coach Stitt look bad at all cost.

PAYTON you have to admit there is a considerable drop in recruited talent my friend. Tell me when was the last time you had seen so few Griz players left off the all-conference team?

It's easy to see that the overall talent level is down. Honestly its down across the BSC period! If the talent is what you believe & state it is, then you have to agree that the decision to move on is completely justified.

If you have talent but you cant get the best out of that talent...thats a COACHING issue my friend pure & simple! Coaches get fired for that every year (see Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M). My question to is then, do you feel that the state university have better talent than this U?

If your answer is NO like I have seen you state, then once again it is a coaching issues.

If your answer is YES then you are contradicting yourself in the same manner you claim AZGriz had done. No one trying to make Stitt look bad, he's pretty adept at that on his own. This fan base did not want to see him fail. We love this program too much to truly WANT him to fail - at least the sensible ones do.

You are way off on this one man. Sorry
Thank God you or 5700 aren’t the recruiting coordinators for the team

cmtgrizzly said:
MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Agreed with Kem. I think we got a good idea of his offensive coaching potential. He was outcoached by state two years in a row. Got to give them credit, yes. But our guy did not get it done against the teams he needed to; simple as that.

I cant argue with you on this, as the objective data is in your favor. I just think a winning football team has both objective and subjective (intangible) qualities. Is it the coach that has to help develop the intangibles (attitude, confidence, etc)? Yes, but after the coaches are establishing the culture and getting players in place it can take more time to fully develop. To be honest I definitely think Stitt had a lot to learn coming in and our coaches were learning along with our players. UM fanbase etc just isnt patient enough to let that happen. I dont know if Stitt would have figured it out I just dont think he was given enough time to definitvely say so. Maybe he will get another chance somewhere else.

I can agree with that. Thanks for the civility in your answer, not a lot of that going around on the internet. :thumb:

Fahque said:
NewPapaBear said:
Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

PAYTON you have to admit there is a considerable drop in recruited talent my friend. Tell me when was the last time you had seen so few Griz players left off the all-conference team?

It's easy to see that the overall talent level is down. Honestly its down across the BSC period! If the talent is what you believe & state it is, then you have to agree that the decision to move on is completely justified.

If you have talent but you cant get the best out of that talent...thats a COACHING issue my friend pure & simple! Coaches get fired for that every year (see Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M). My question to is then, do you feel that the state university have better talent than this U?

If your answer is NO like I have seen you state, then once again it is a coaching issues.

If your answer is YES then you are contradicting yourself in the same manner you claim AZGriz had done. No one trying to make Stitt look bad, he's pretty adept at that on his own. This fan base did not want to see him fail. We love this program too much to truly WANT him to fail - at least the sensible ones do.

You are way off on this one man. Sorry
Thank God you or 5700 aren’t the recruiting coordinators for the team

+1 The argument that Stitt's traditional recruiting classes, which were freshman and sophomores this season, weren't first team all Big Sky is a standard no coach at UM has been held to. How often has UM had first or second team All Big Sky players that were under classmen? Obviously it happens, but it is not the standard happening.

And before someone points out the upper classmen transfers, fine, but transfers aren't how you build a program and every coach we have had here has had hit or miss luck with transfers. We'll know in the next season or two how Stitt's recruiting was, I think we'll be happy with it.

Back