• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Question for those that know

Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:
Stitts recruiting was “alright” when you live in the UM recruiting bubble. Everyone wins there..

Average talent at best.

Shit, he recruited 30 receivers who can’t catch the ball. Keenan Curran was his #1 WR - that is terrible recruiting.

You could not be more wrong. The last two classes were much better then UM has had in quite sometime. Some people just don’t have much patience.

Stitt classes will be Juniors and sophomores next fall. It really lame to make the judgement of average, when you dont have much data. You just have an agenda of making Coach Stitt look bad at all cost.

I know i'll get hate on this but...would have been interesting to see one more season with Coach Stitt..not so much Semore...but I feel this offense was starting to click, with a better DC, who knows....

griz5700 said:
Stitts recruiting was “alright” when you live in the UM recruiting bubble. Everyone wins there..

Average talent at best.

Shit, he recruited 30 receivers who can’t catch the ball. Keenan Curran was his #1 WR - that is terrible recruiting.

More 2 & 3 star players than ever before. I don’t recall you flamespraying them when they were recruited. If you had inside knowledge about how “average” they were I’m sure Stitt would have loved to hear it.

Some people just can’t help being an ass.

Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

You could not be more wrong. The last two classes were much better then UM has had in quite sometime. Some people just don’t have much patience.

Stitt classes will be Juniors and sophomores next fall. It really lame to make the judgement of average, when you dont have much data. You just have an agenda of making Coach Stitt look bad at all cost.
:clap:

406grizfan4life said:
Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

I know i'll get hate on this but...would have been interesting to see one more season with Coach Stitt..not so much Semore...but I feel this offense was starting to click, with a better DC, who knows....
+1

Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

PAYTON you have to admit there is a considerable drop in recruited talent my friend. Tell me when was the last time you had seen so few Griz players left off the all-conference team?

It's easy to see that the overall talent level is down. Honestly its down across the BSC period! If the talent is what you believe & state it is, then you have to agree that the decision to move on is completely justified.

If you have talent but you cant get the best out of that talent...thats a COACHING issue my friend pure & simple! Coaches get fired for that every year (see Kevin Sumlin at Texas A&M). My question to is then, do you feel that the state university have better talent than this U?

If your answer is NO like I have seen you state, then once again it is a coaching issues.

If your answer is YES then you are contradicting yourself in the same manner you claim AZGriz had done. No one trying to make Stitt look bad, he's pretty adept at that on his own. This fan base did not want to see him fail. We love this program too much to truly WANT him to fail - at least the sensible ones do.

You are way off on this one man. Sorry

You would think that with all the WR he brought in we would for sure be better off at that position, but that isn't the case. Jones, Henderson and Roberts, pretty tough group to beat though.

Look at the Seniors this 17 season. The only Stitt recruits were transfers - Reese Phillips, Korey Alexander, Justin Strong, Jimmy Banks, Brandt Davidson, Myles McKee-Osibodu. Not superstars but on the whole, quite serviceable. Bobby's history with JC's and transfers was no better. The rest of the graduating class were brought in by the previous staff.

To a very large extent the missing talent is due to the turmoil prior to Stitt and the recruiting of the previous staff.
ie: next year there will be no senior offensive linemen. The previous staff left quite a hole.

NewPapaBear said:
Paytonlives said:
griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

PAYTON you have to admit there is a considerable drop in recruited talent my friend. Tell me when was the last time you had seen so few Griz players left off the all-conference team?

Bad example. It is very obvious there was some bias in the voting this year. If you don't think someone like a Josh Buss belongs on the first team, you are a poor judge of talent. And Strahm on the 3rd team? Banks led conference in tackles, 2nd team. Heck, the Buss is a FINALIST for the Buck Buchanon award. Many players were shafted, including JLM, and many others. Don't blame Stitts recruits, because they aren't in the system completely, and as I said there was obvious bias in voting this year.

The recruited talent is phenomenal, but we will never know how until they start playing more. Gresch Jensen has potential to break DD's records, the offensive line is loaded with young guys like Thayne Jackson, and Angel Villenueva, where do you start at receiver? loaded. On defense we will reload once again at LB, and you have a guy like Sims on the front line...STUD in the making. Sandry and Nash in the secondary.

The truth is that after a coach leaves, people always rag on the talent. When Mick recruited his classes people raved about how good they were, and then when he left, all we heard was how bad they are.

Sad to see it is beginning again. Give these kids a chance, we had numerous freshmen playing this year. In 3 years if they don't pan out....then you can whine about it.

This is comical. Same couple of people all the time. Gotta love it. Stitt is gone so let's trash the players Stitt recruited.
FYI Stitt oldest recruiting class for the most part are RED SHIRT SOPH. You guys are just morons.
Then again one of them is the same guy that said a player was terrible and what were the coaches thinking by signing him after 2 games.
That player ended up leading the entire conference over the last 6 games in Sacks and TFL.

Lastly in regards to the poster who thinks you equate the all conference team to caliber of recruiting:

There's another thread that discusses how Sims and Favoroso both had substantially better numbers than guys that made the list. It's called politics

PS. Both are red shirt soph.

Aren't coaching changes fun?!! Without that we would be trying to guess the scores of all the boring ass first round games. Instead we get to rag on the fired coach and beat up on 18 year old kids with no talent.

Seems to me, there were professional evaluators, with a ton more knowledge than anyone on Egriz, who rated the last several classes in the top 10 of the country. I even remember the class with Jackson to be in the top 3. There will be holes to fill, no doubt, but I believe the next coach will have plenty of good football players to work with.

If Hauck is the coach, a coach we all know knows how to be successful in the FCS, then I think doubters of talent will have their answer. Stitt's potential was still unrealized I think and so I think it can be questioned whether the problem was player or coach talent. I am not convinced it was either. Being champions of the Big Sky and FCS relies on many factors and some teams get it right very quickly and are lucky to do so but it more often takes time. I think our talent is great at several positions and Hauck and the culture he brings just might be what is missing for this group of players to rise to the top. Possibly it will be the opposite. Either way the new coach will have some time to get all of the necessary factors right. I think he will have to add some talent to some positions but overall has the talent on this team to meet and exceed expectations. That is what he will be paid for, being a coach, take a group of talented kids and mold a winning team.

griz5700 said:

Average talent at best.

Personally I think the weak recruiting classes were at the end of the Delaney era and the first year of the Stitt era, couple of years that led to the reason we are not very deep past the starters at the moment.

I think the recruiting the last couple years, especially last year, was pretty decent and will pay off in the next year or two, never liked the whole 500 WR thing because obviously that came at the expense of other positions which we need help in though.

Hopefully we get somebody on board to coach soon and they can go find us some lineman and DB's where we need help.

In my opinion, for the most part the talent on the roster is deep and young. It is ridiculous to expect FR and SO's to be all conference players. Yes, a few underclassmen will mature and perform quicker, and exceed expectations, however, those players are few and far between. Fact is, the majority of Stitt's recruits will be maturing in the next year or 2. The new coach will have a wealth of all conference level performers when the young players mature. Yes, the graduation of 4 OL will create some inconsistent OL play to start next season. Fortunately, there is a lot of potential in the OL. If Germer remains, our OL will be just fine, regardless of who the new coach is.

I expect a lot of WR's will convert to being true TE's, LB's, DE"s, or even DB's. No question, there is a lot of athleticism to work with from that group. The question is, how many of them will be able to convert and contribute at other positions? I have no doubt, JLM, Toure, and Akem will all remain at WR. Those guys are all dynamic game changing quality WR's.

We are fine at LB, and DL (could use a little more depth). My major concern is depth at CB. Markell Sanders will have to become an All Conference level performer. I loved how well Nash developed his 1st year at CB. To me, he has a very high ceiling at CB. The question is, is he ready to become an all conference level performer, or is he another year away? Does anyone know how well Egbo and Holmes progressed ?

Unfortunately, the biggest question is, How many players can the new coach retain and contribute to a new system and staff this coming season? I expect a handful of WR's to not fit into a system, and not able to convert to another position. Beyond that, it is anyone's guess.

Overall, I feel Stitt has left the new coach with a lot more potential than he came in with. We shall see. At least we know, if that new coach is Hauck, the man can develop talent like no other GRIZ coach has.

cmtgrizzly said:
Stitt's potential was still unrealized I think and so I think it can be questioned whether the problem was player or coach talent. I am not convinced it was either.
So why is it after three years we still can't beat teams with winning records or the lowly Bobcats? How can it be neither?

G-BEARS said:
You would think that with all the WR he brought in we would for sure be better off at that position, but that isn't the case. Jones, Henderson and Roberts, pretty tough group to beat though.

What do all three of those gentlemen have in common?

MrG said:
Look at the Seniors this 17 season. The only Stitt recruits were transfers - Reese Phillips, Korey Alexander, Justin Strong, Jimmy Banks, Brandt Davidson, Myles McKee-Osibodu. Not superstars but on the whole, quite serviceable. Bobby's history with JC's and transfers was no better. The rest of the graduating class were brought in by the previous staff.

To a very large extent the missing talent is due to the turmoil prior to Stitt and the recruiting of the previous staff.
ie: next year there will be no senior offensive linemen. The previous staff left quite a hole.

Yep. :clap:

kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Stitt's potential was still unrealized I think and so I think it can be questioned whether the problem was player or coach talent. I am not convinced it was either.
So why is it after three years we still can't beat teams with winning records or the lowly Bobcats? How can it be neither?

Didn’t we beat a playoff team this year?

kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Agreed with Kem. I think we got a good idea of his offensive coaching potential. He was outcoached by state two years in a row. Got to give them credit, yes. But our guy did not get it done against the teams he needed to; simple as that.

kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:

For me the biggest weakness was our defense. Even ST were getting better. Made field goals make a big difference. As the year went on it helped a lot to add skill players like JerryLM and Keenan ... and yes it was a good adjustment to add them. Don't you remember Colt Anderson and other stars on our kick off coverage in the past?

I felt our offense was beginning to really click with theses young guys. It would have gotten better going forward for sure. Again, the real downfall for Coach was the D. Awfully important however.

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:

What do all three of those gentlemen have in common?

transfers

MTGRZ said:
kemajic said:
cmtgrizzly said:

Agreed with Kem. I think we got a good idea of his offensive coaching potential. He was outcoached by state two years in a row. Got to give them credit, yes. But our guy did not get it done against the teams he needed to; simple as that.

I cant argue with you on this, as the objective data is in your favor. I just think a winning football team has both objective and subjective (intangible) qualities. Is it the coach that has to help develop the intangibles (attitude, confidence, etc)? Yes, but after the coaches are establishing the culture and getting players in place it can take more time to fully develop. To be honest I definitely think Stitt had a lot to learn coming in and our coaches were learning along with our players. UM fanbase etc just isnt patient enough to let that happen. I dont know if Stitt would have figured it out I just dont think he was given enough time to definitvely say so. Maybe he will get another chance somewhere else.

Back