• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Projected 2024 Roster

I was looking at the winter conditioning photos on gogriz.com. There is a photo of a guy wearing a black shirt and blue shorts. He is doing a drill with 4 of our d line looking on. The guy is massive and I have never seen him before. He's not on the roster as far as I can see. Maybe a walk on? DT or OL? Just wondering if anyone had any information about who it may be.

Miltongriz23 said:
I was looking at the winter conditioning photos on gogriz.com. There is a photo of a guy wearing a black shirt and blue shorts. He is doing a drill with 4 of our d line looking on. The guy is massive and I have never seen him before. He's not on the roster as far as I can see. Maybe a walk on? DT or OL? Just wondering if anyone had any information about who it may be.

This is a big dude. Is it Ramos? Looks bigger than 265 though

https://gogriz.com/galleries/football/fb-winter-conditioning/the-montana-grizzlies-hosted-t/4569/96738

HookedonGriz said:
Miltongriz23 said:

https://gogriz.com/galleries/football/fb-winter-conditioning/the-montana-grizzlies-hosted-t/4569/96738

I now understand the definition of the term "tree trunk legs." Look at those things....

HookedonGriz said:
Miltongriz23 said:

It is not Ramos, I do not know who he is. Looks big and ready to compete. Go Griz!

That’s Jaquawhann Booth walkon from
Dickenson State, played at Billings Central.

Solid work 84 as usual
I've always wondered why the Griz don't recruit top tier Frontier performers more often.
I know there have been a few move ups but not an every year type of thing.
SDSU has made it a point in the last few seasons to look for emerging hidden talent from the D2 and NAIA ranks close to them, and IIRC, a few of their impact players came from those levels.

The guy is massive, so I hope he gets his feet under him at this level and becomes a big contributor.

Solid work 84 as usual
I've always wondered why the Griz don't recruit top tier Frontier performers more often.
I know there have been a few move ups but not an every year type of thing.
In my understanding, it is just too big of a jump. I spent time at the U and at an NAIA school in Montana, and the level of competition just is not even close in terms of scheme or size/speed. The best two players on the team at the NAIA school as seniors had both come to the Griz and never seen the field.

I lived with a kid who went to NDSU even before they were the NDSU we know today, and he said that he knew in his first training camp he would never see the field there, that there was just too great of a size/speed gap for him to overcome with any amount of hard work. He was a starter at the NAIA level. When I was at the Griz, there was a kid on campus who had been a starting WR at Tech before he left there, and he laughed when I asked him why he didn't walk on for the Griz, and told me he knew he wouldn't ever play.

I don't recall seeing a DII team play live until I was at the Ferris State game last year, and those kids looked much bigger, stronger, and faster than any NAIA team I have ever seen, including the old Carroll dynasty teams.

I don't know about other sports, but NAIA football is just too big of a step below the FCS for it to be a realistic recruiting ground, in my opinion. As you pointed out, there are a few, but I don't know that it will ever be an every year thing. We are probably better off focusing on the high performers at FCS schools, like we have been doing the last few years. In my opinion.

I can't find the button to edit my comment, but I want to be clear that I misspoke. When I said "When I was at the Griz," I should have said "When I was at the University in Missoula." I did not ever play for the Griz, in any sport, and I wasn't intending to imply that I did, but when I read it back I realize that it sounds like I was saying I did. My bad, homies. I'm really slow and definitely not an FCS level athlete.

I would think that a good NAIA kid would have a leg up on a Senior out of high school and we go after them, just saying!

In my understanding, it is just too big of a jump. I spent time at the U and at an NAIA school in Montana, and the level of competition just is not even close in terms of scheme or size/speed. The best two players on the team at the NAIA school as seniors had both come to the Griz and never seen the field.

I lived with a kid who went to NDSU even before they were the NDSU we know today, and he said that he knew in his first training camp he would never see the field there, that there was just too great of a size/speed gap for him to overcome with any amount of hard work. He was a starter at the NAIA level. When I was at the Griz, there was a kid on campus who had been a starting WR at Tech before he left there, and he laughed when I asked him why he didn't walk on for the Griz, and told me he knew he wouldn't ever play.

I don't recall seeing a DII team play live until I was at the Ferris State game last year, and those kids looked much bigger, stronger, and faster than any NAIA team I have ever seen, including the old Carroll dynasty teams.

I don't know about other sports, but NAIA football is just too big of a step below the FCS for it to be a realistic recruiting ground, in my opinion. As you pointed out, there are a few, but I don't know that it will ever be an every year thing. We are probably better off focusing on the high performers at FCS schools, like we have been doing the last few years. In my opinion.

You make good points. I think when people are able to name one or three or seven names that have panned out moving up from that level to DI, it doesn't really do what they might think it does to disprove the point that there is a huge talent gap overall.

Sure, you can find some unicorns who may have gone to the wrong HS, or developed later, etc., but they are just that: unicorns. If I want to catch a big fish and I play it by the numbers, I'd rather go to a pond with hundreds and hundreds of big fish than a smaller pond with 3 big fish and hundreds of minnows. I don't think I'd spend much time/resources at the smaller pond.

SDSU has made it a point in the last few seasons to look for emerging hidden talent from the D2 and NAIA ranks close to them, and IIRC, a few of their impact players came from those levels.

The guy is massive, so I hope he gets his feet under him at this level and becomes a big contributor.
There have been a few very good ahtletes named Booth from Billings. I believe one played years ago (maybe 15) at Oregon State. Another great athlete from mid 80's named Sam Booth. I also think the family is related in some way to Dwan Edwards. Don't know the connection to this kid however.

I would think that a good NAIA kid would have a leg up on a Senior out of high school and we go after them, just saying!

I don't disagree that they might have a leg up in terms of what CFB demands of them in general. But, on average, I think they are a few notches down in terms of talent/athleticism.

I played a sport for an NAIA school before transferring to UM. We would sometimes practice and play friendlies with Wazzu in the offseason. The talent gap was very large. My freshman year, we had one player in my class who was a unicorn and he got "called up" to play for Wazzu the next year. But it wasn't like the Wazzu coach was ever trolling these practices to look for talent. I guess my point is that it can happen, but the unicorn kinda has to fall in your lap so to speak.

Pat O'Connell did alright moving up from D-II.
I actually think we might be better off looking to the best D-II players and teams than NAIA. I don't know if that is conventional wisdom, or where people feel they rate against each other, but I've watched "dynasty" NAIA teams and then watched Ferris last year. It wasn't close in terms of size or speed. Just my take

I actually think we might be better off looking to the best D-II players and teams than NAIA. I don't know if that is conventional wisdom, or where people feel they rate against each other, but I've watched "dynasty" NAIA teams and then watched Ferris last year. It wasn't close in terms of size or speed. Just my take
Mary is closer to Frontier Conference in talent that they are to Ferris St. In my opinion,

Back