• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

PRESSURE!

ranco said:
cmtgrizzly said:
Kent relieved pressure on himself. If he had kept Stitt and things went poorly next year he was probably out or at least under great pressure. People may hope a new coach can come in and take the torch from Stitt and jump on a new track and win big but that is not easy. Next year may be a little rough even if Hauck is the coach. Its just not that easy. I do think Hauck knows how to win and would be successful but it might not happen in year 1 or 2. I think Haslam bought himself some benefit of the doubt for next year.

You might be right, but it is a bit controversial releasing a coach with a 7-4 record, with a potentially great freshman QB that he recruited. The expectation has to be that a new coach will do better, I know 90% of egriz will think so. If we don't do better and lose to the Cats, I think KH will be saddled with it and sent packing. The new coach might get another year or two.

You are right, Stitt did have a winning record but I think he is the victim of UM's prior success and fan/donor expectation. I think people are under the belief that the talent on this team is top FCS talent and as such the expectation is we should be making strides to that end and "mediocre" results were on the coaching. Is that fair? Probably not, though I do think our talent is really good overall and as I have said many times I think Jensen will be one of our best. Right or wrong I think if Kent hires Hauck he has at least 2 years before he is on the chopping block as this seems to be the popular choice. If he chooses another unknown quantity and things go poorly, you are probably right and Kent will be in trouble after year one of the new regime.

I lurk here a lot. Like for years. Never posted. I love all the arguing. LOL. What some of you guys complain about, is what makes it interesting to me. I am on the outside looking in, so my view doesn't mean anything. As far as what you guys have going on, I think a lot of pressure would be a normal part of any job there. You guys have been one of the few the top power house teems year in and year out. For like the last 15 or 20 years. I personally don't see it that when Stitt came in the program was in free fall. Just my opinion. But again I am a UNI fan and have a different perspective. What, you made the playoffs but were in free fall? Beat defending national champion NDSUade, and made the the playoffs Stitts first year, with those guys he inherited, but were in free fall? Interesting perspective, but I don't see it.

Your program demands a higher level of success than most others. Including UNI. It should for gods sake, look at your program history. I would think anyone, players/coaches/staff/AD allknow going in they will have lots of pressure in that job. Aside from the players it is a job right? Three years is a LONG time in that level of program. Stitt is a good coach, and would guess still be on the job if he was coach at UNI or many other FCS programs. Montana is not like "those" programs. Good coaches are okay for Good programs. Programs like Montana or NDSU etc. do and should demand the best coaches, based on results on the field. Not how nice they are, or how well the players like them. At the top programs, winning, playoffs, etc. are what counts. Two years of missing the playoffs and being beat by the Cats seems like a serious problem to me. However I am on the outside looking in. I believe if he had done the same thing at say, NDSU, he would have been let go there also.

Stitt took a chance at a dream job, I think he knew what chances/preassure he was taking. I doubt he regrets going for it for 3 years. I bet he has a lot of awesome memories and learned a lot along the way. It made him a better coach. He will be fine. He will land a job somewhere and be happy. All this is part of coaching. Okay fellas get to bashing on me. lol I love all you guys. Keep it entertaining for me.

UNImadman said:
I lurk here a lot. Like for years. Never posted. I love all the arguing. LOL. What some of you guys complain about, is what makes it interesting to me. I am on the outside looking in, so my view doesn't mean anything. As far as what you guys have going on, I think a lot of pressure would be a normal part of any job there. You guys have been one of the few the top power house teems year in and year out. For like the last 15 or 20 years. I personally don't see it that when Stitt came in the program was in free fall. Just my opinion. But again I am a UNI fan and have a different perspective. What, you made the playoffs but were in free fall? Beat defending national champion NDSUade, and made the the playoffs Stitts first year, with those guys he inherited, but were in free fall? Interesting perspective, but I don't see it.

Your program demands a higher level of success than most others. Including UNI. It should for gods sake, look at your program history. I would think anyone, players/coaches/staff/AD allknow going in they will have lots of pressure in that job. Aside from the players it is a job right? Three years is a LONG time in that level of program. Stitt is a good coach, and would guess still be on the job if he was coach at UNI or many other FCS programs. Montana is not like "those" programs. Good coaches are okay for Good programs. Programs like Montana or NDSU etc. do and should demand the best coaches, based on results on the field. Not how nice they are, or how well the players like them. At the top programs, winning, playoffs, etc. are what counts. Two years of missing the playoffs and being beat by the Cats seems like a serious problem to me. However I am on the outside looking in. I believe if he had done the same thing at say, NDSU, he would have been let go there also.

Stitt took a chance at a dream job, I think he knew what chances/preassure he was taking. I doubt he regrets going for it for 3 years. I bet he has a lot of awesome memories and learned a lot along the way. It made him a better coach. He will be fine. He will land a job somewhere and be happy. All this is part of coaching. Okay fellas get to bashing on me. lol I love all you guys. Keep it entertaining for me.

Good well thought out post! Keep posting. View points from other teams, including our bretheren to the East (at least some of them), make the site far more enjoyable and interesting.

ari gold said:
I think setting an expectation of 8-3 with a brand new coach would be setting him up for failure. I'd love for that outcome to actually occur, but is that the expectation I will have? Definitely not. Its pretty hard to just flip a switch from one regime to another and immediately be successful in a new head coaches first season, let alone winning more that 8-9 games with a tough non-conference schedule and a competitive BSC that now include Idaho.

HAHA, the season is eight months away, and the "give him time to get his team in place" mantra is already starting. During all the mid-season fire Stitt threads, there were TONS of references to JMU and winning in a coaches first year, and all it takes is the right guy. Fans get what they want, Stitt getting fired, and now they're already backing off the whole expectation thingy. Just goes to show it was indeed selfish and personal for some. lol.

ranco said:
Haslam and the new coach will be under extreme pressure next year, way more than Stitt was this year. Given the talent that returns, especially Jensen, Anything less than an 8-3 regular season will be a huge disappointment and an even better record will be expected by most.

It will be a difficult position for any coach to step into. If next season goes poorly, Haslam will be looking for a job.

Tougher schedule next year. Northern Iowa here, Western Illinois there, Southern Utah there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George Ferguson said:
ari gold said:
I think setting an expectation of 8-3 with a brand new coach would be setting him up for failure. I'd love for that outcome to actually occur, but is that the expectation I will have? Definitely not. Its pretty hard to just flip a switch from one regime to another and immediately be successful in a new head coaches first season, let alone winning more that 8-9 games with a tough non-conference schedule and a competitive BSC that now include Idaho.

HAHA, the season is eight months away, and the "give him time to get his team in place" mantra is already starting. During all the mid-season fire Stitt threads, there were TONS of references to JMU and winning in a coaches first year, and all it takes is the right guy. Fans get what they want, Stitt getting fired, and now they're already backing off the whole expectation thingy. Just goes to show it was indeed selfish and personal for some. lol.

The way this actually looks is you backing off YOUR mantra. haha

cmtgrizzly said:
Kent relieved pressure on himself. If he had kept Stitt and things went poorly next year he was probably out or at least under great pressure. People may hope a new coach can come in and take the torch from Stitt and jump on a new track and win big but that is not easy. Next year may be a little rough even if Hauck is the coach. Its just not that easy. I do think Hauck knows how to win and would be successful but it might not happen in year 1 or 2. I think Haslam bought himself some benefit of the doubt for next year.

This. Haslam owns this now, and if the new HC doesn’t win big and soon, Haslam should be gone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ari gold said:

You’re kidding, right? I mean this place has been rife with threads about how Barnum did it in his first year at PSU, how the JMU coach won the damned NC in HIS first year, etc., etc. Hauck riding in on his white horse sure as hell better be able to generate 8 wins, otherwise, we might as well have kept Stitt.

G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:
ari gold said:

No, it doesn’t even begin to look like that. He’s 100% correct. Stitt was supposed to magically just start winning conference and national titles in year 2-3 but now Hauck is gonna get a longer rope? Totally counterintuitive with what the haters’ position was all season,..

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:
ari gold said:

No, it doesn’t even begin to look like that. He’s 100% correct. Stitt was supposed to magically just start winning conference and national titles in year 2-3 but now Hauck is gonna get a longer rope? Totally counterintuitive with what the haters’ position was all season,..

Can you show me where the same poster made contradicting statements like that? I believe you, but I haven't seen these statements from the same person, I haven't looked that hard though.

G-BEARS said:
AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:

Can you show me where the same poster made contradicting statements like that? I believe you, but I haven't seen these statements from the same person, I haven't looked that hard though.

If we bring in Hauck or another good coach, I expect them and think they will start winning right away. Players can fit into any system with good coaching. Some coaches make things too complicated. Just have to get the ball into the endzone more than the other team.

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:
ari gold said:

Not counterintuitive at all. BH established a very enviable record at this level and at this institution. Stitt had not and did not. He won't need it, but BH should have a longer rope than the unknown Stitt. History shows that Hauck will get there.

kemajic said:
AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:

Not counterintuitive at all. BH established a very enviable record at this level and at this institution. Stitt had not and did not. He won't need it, but BH should have a longer rope than the unknown Stitt. History shows the Hauck will get there.

That makes zero sense, I’m sorry. You’re going to give Hauck rope you weren’t willing to give Stitt? So, flush the next 2-3 seasons down the drain TOO? You demanded FASTER success from a guy who’d never coached at this level than one who has YEARS of experience?

AZ, take a deep breath. Now exhale. The sun will rise tomorrow. And again the next day, and the next day. It will also rise 6 years from now, regardless of who is coach, and how many games the Griz win.

MTGRZ said:
AZ, take a deep breath. Now exhale. The sun will rise tomorrow. And again the next day, and the next day. It will also rise 6 years from now, regardless of who is coach, and how many games the Griz win.

What are you talking about? I’m fine. Just think it’s hilarious to see some of the circular logic used on this board.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. To justify a different bar or set of expectations for Hauck is a fools errand. He should be held to the same standard Stitt was. Beat the cats and win the conference in his first three years or gone.

cmtgrizzly said:
UNImadman said:

Good well thought out post! Keep posting. View points from other teams, including our bretheren to the East (at least some of them), make the site far more enjoyable and interesting.

I agree. Nice post.

HookedonGriz said:
kemajic said:
dupuyer griz said:
DuCharme said:
21-14 in three years is closer to a 7-5 avg. That’s one game over .500.
Bold statement, you really think people here understand how that works?
Obviously Hookedongriz didn't with his selective rounding to favor his point.

7-4.6 then, is that better. Still doesn't change the point I was making that I bet there has never been another FCS coach shown the door with that type of production
Everett Withers went 9-4, 9-3 and got canned at JMU. Before they brought in Houston.

AZGrizFan said:
G-BEARS said:
George Ferguson said:
ari gold said:

Nope, you are wrong. Stitt was supposed to have decent record, beat Cats most of time, and get to playoffs. Not be 6th in the conference. Not get beat by Cats 2 years in a row. Not miss playoffs 2 years in a row. He was not supposed to take the program done from where Delaney had it. The program was not on an upward trend. It went down from where Delaney left it.

Back