• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post fall-camp thoughts and 2014 outlook

Hammer said:
This will be Micks last year and no he wont be fired. He has done exactly what he was hired to do, weather the storm and get the team through that rough stretch. The program is now back on the rise with fantastic recruits on the horizon. I think Mick deserves a big ovation and pat on the back for doing that. Remember, he didn't apply for the job, he was asked to do it. I think, under the circumstances, he has done a fantastic job.
Amen!! I would love to see grandpa bear put himself back out to pasture. If he could somehow go out on top, he would grow into a true grizzly legend. Otherwise, ripping the bandaid off would not be ideal but I don't wanna kick the can down the street like PR if they sleepwalk into the playoffs again.

garizzalies said:
Hammer said:
This will be Micks last year and no he wont be fired. He has done exactly what he was hired to do, weather the storm and get the team through that rough stretch. The program is now back on the rise with fantastic recruits on the horizon. I think Mick deserves a big ovation and pat on the back for doing that. Remember, he didn't apply for the job, he was asked to do it. I think, under the circumstances, he has done a fantastic job.
Amen!! I would love to see grandpa bear put himself back out to pasture. If he could somehow go out on top, he would grow into a true grizzly legend. Otherwise, ripping the bandaid off would not be ideal but I don't wanna kick the can down the street like PR if they sleepwalk into the playoffs again.

What you can't understand or can't admit, is that keeping a coach (and his staff) that is taking the team to the playoffs year after year is not "kicking the can down the road".

Who scores more than the OL, DL, DBs and LBs? When QBs, RBs, TEs and WRs fail to score TDs, who can keep the opponent from gaining the momentum? Kickers! :clap:

There are exceptional soccer players nationwide that are attending universities and not playing soccer. Most can make 40 yard field goal consistently. Give 4 freshmen (2 punters and 2 kickers) preferred walk-on status and an opportunity to earn partial scholarships within the first season and the PAT and field goal challenges @ Montana will be resolved. :x

I don't understand the challenges associated with establishing a great kicking game @ Montana. :roll:

CV Griz Fan said:
go96griz said:
For as long as I remember, the three team goals every year are:
1. Beat the Cats
2. Win the Big Sky Conference
3. Win the National Championship

The players are playing for a lot more than a playoff appearance. They want the trophy.

At some point, the Griz will need to add beating EWU to the list. They won't accomplish
two of these goals without doing that first. Just sayin....

You could accomplish all 3 without beating EWU. The win during regular season, but lose to others and we win Big Sky. We don't meet in playoffs and win NC.

PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
Hammer said:

What you can't understand or can't admit, is that keeping a coach (and his staff) that is taking the team to the playoffs year after year is not "kicking the can down the road".
What you can't understand or can't admit is that our coach is a lame duck. The recruits we are getting have to know a coaching change is inevitable during their college career.

Griz1 said:
Hammer said:

I agree 100% with Hammer that under the circumstances Coach Delaney has done a fantastic job. The players respect him, like him and work hard for him. He puts some fun back into practices (which is important in these dog days of summer before game preparation) and yet maintains discipline. He has regained respect for the program in difficult times.
Mick was all set for retirement and I think was looking forward to it. I think that has changed. He doesn't act like a coach just waiting for the sun to set.

He really seems to be enjoying himself, and the loyalty of the kids is really something. They love their coach. He's got that "Old Man" demeanor and sense of humor that works very well with young guys all filled with fire and brimstone.

And they're lucky. He's a genuine relic, a Butte tradition of which he is one of the last; that "Butte" experience and sense of humor.

A lot of questions will be answered this time next week. If the offense is able to execute with the "thin" line as has been mentioned this will be a very good year. I for one believe we will be able to move the ball. Let's wait and see.
Go Griz!

ordigger said:
CV Griz Fan said:
go96griz said:
For as long as I remember, the three team goals every year are:
1. Beat the Cats
2. Win the Big Sky Conference
3. Win the National Championship

The players are playing for a lot more than a playoff appearance. They want the trophy.

At some point, the Griz will need to add beating EWU to the list. They won't accomplish
two of these goals without doing that first. Just sayin....

You could accomplish all 3 without beating EWU. The win during regular season, but lose to others and we win Big Sky. We don't meet in playoffs and win NC.

Yes they could. But EWU is the best team in the conference and has been for a while now. Beating EWU should be on the list of goals. Beating MSU while loosing to EWU has lost it's luster.

Watching last nights game and state practice I think ewu will have its hands full with msu. I realize its non-conference but it will set a certain precedence for the rest of the season.

garizzalies said:
PlayerRep said:
garizzalies said:
Hammer said:

What you can't understand or can't admit is that our coach is a lame duck. The recruits we are getting have to know a coaching change is inevitable during their college career.

A coach is a lame duck only if he's announced his intention to retire or his contract won't be renewed. I'm not aware that either of those 2 things have occurred. If he wants to continue (and I don't know whether he does or doesn't), and the team has a good season, then I don't see how UM could not renew his contract. If that is the case, then he is not a lame duck. He is merely a 70 plus year old coach.

Don't recruits and players usually know that coaches may not stay for their full 4/5 years at the school? Assistant coaches move on fairly often. Head coaches also change. Since Don Read left in 1995, UM has had only one head coach stay for 5 years or longer (Hauck).

On the other hand, I assume that having an older coach has some impact on recruiting--as do many other factors, like the offense the coach runs, the weight/locker rooms, the success of the program, the prior year, the stadium, the game day atmosphere, the local support, the position coaches, the other players, academic programs, the number of scholarships available, the schollie offered, the size of the town and weather, the number and quality of players at skill and specialty positions, former players in the NFL, etc. You seem to think the age of the coach is some overriding factor.

I went through a head coaching change before my senior year. There were some changes and a bunch of new position coaches, including mine, but it wasn't a huge deal. We still won the conference championship, and lost only 1 game.

A question for you. Do you think recruits would rather that an existing assistant coach would take over the program, or that the university intends to do a national search?

I like how you mentioned the 2008 and 2009 teams and their cohesion.

Lest we all forget, we all thought the 2008 team was going to be a massive step back from the NFL talent-rich 2007 team. I believe some even expected that year to be our 2012-like season.

Not saying we should expect a trip to Frisco, but all we need are the right guys to buy in and step up.

This team has the talent (and hopefully the heart) to go far.

Back