• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

Post fall-camp thoughts and 2014 outlook

alabamagrizzly said:
griz71 said:
BWahlberg said:
griz71 said:
Outstanding summary Brint...as usual. REALLY looking forward to your first scouting report for the Wyoming game next week. :clap: :thumb:

GO GRIZ!

:thumb:

Thanks, working on a new look for this years scouting reports, more visuals and less text, hoping to unveil it on Monday.

All Right! Can't wait. :)
Agreed. Once again the Griz Guru comes through very detailed stuff. If it wasn't for u we'd all jus be douchin' the Griz, each other, and watever eles gets in our way. Love your insight and can't wait for Mon.

b/w......this last statement is so true, thanks for all you do for griz nation and egriz in particular....

Looks like they decided on a kicker today

[tweet]https://twitter.com/billspeltz/status/502876646974967808[/tweet]

alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
I agree in theory. But there's a huge difference between "strive for" and "expect".

Look, we got spoiled BAD during our terrific run (and even then there were a number of 1st round playoff exits).

But it's just completely unrealistic to "expect" a national title contender every year. Should that be the goal? Of course. Should it be an expectation? No.

Totally on board with ya. However, it seemed PR was stating that if Delaney leads the Griz into the playoffs then he should be welcomed back. I don't necessarily agree with that ( and I'm a fan of MD). I don't think a playoff appearance dictates success, especially with the expansion of playoffs and more teams getting in. Couple that with the move up to FBS by strong FCS programs like Appy St and Georgia Southern and it even seems less impressive to just get in. Again, just my humble opinion on all this. I expect big things from this program each year. National title runs are part of that.
Just to be clear, r u saying that if the Griz go say 10-2, get a seed, win one and lose one, Delaney needs to go?

Not exactly....saying it shouldn't be an automatic reason he gets to stay. Seems folks are just content to make the playoffs anymore. IMO that should be an automatic goal and expectation with this program, year end and year out.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
EverettGriz said:
I agree in theory. But there's a huge difference between "strive for" and "expect".

Look, we got spoiled BAD during our terrific run (and even then there were a number of 1st round playoff exits).

But it's just completely unrealistic to "expect" a national title contender every year. Should that be the goal? Of course. Should it be an expectation? No.

Totally on board with ya. However, it seemed PR was stating that if Delaney leads the Griz into the playoffs then he should be welcomed back. I don't necessarily agree with that ( and I'm a fan of MD). I don't think a playoff appearance dictates success, especially with the expansion of playoffs and more teams getting in. Couple that with the move up to FBS by strong FCS programs like Appy St and Georgia Southern and it even seems less impressive to just get in. Again, just my humble opinion on all this. I expect big things from this program each year. National title runs are part of that.
Just to be clear, r u saying that if the Griz go say 10-2, get a seed, win one and lose one, Delaney needs to go?

Not exactly....saying it shouldn't be an automatic reason he gets to stay. Seems folks are just content to make the playoffs anymore. IMO that should be an automatic goal and expectation with this program, year end and year out.

Well, he now has an offensive line with FIVE new starters. If he gets THAT group to 10-2 he should get a fucking statue in front of Wa/Griz.

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
EverettGriz said:

Thnx for clarifying. Agreed a natty should be the goal. Also agreed no coaching job is ever safe. I think making it to the playoffs is still a successful season compared to how bad it could be. I do think Mick has done some real good things in getting the kids to act right and in recruiting the right kids. Unfortunately I think some people still see 2012 as Mick's stamp on Griz football and that's just not right. Don't forget all of our one and done's in our glory years. Cal Poly, Western Illinois, and Wofford just to name a few. All of those came under Bobby who also got us to three natty's. O'course he didn't win any so I'm sure there were some eGrizers calling for his head too.

grizcountry420 said:
PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:
That's a great write up. My only opinion is that its a make or break year for our coaching staff. We have a solid group of guys on this years team. This will be their 3rd year together, so no more excuses..

Im hoping for a great season, go Griz!

Except for Delaney's age and it being the last year of his contract (isn't it?), why would this year be a make or break year?

The team was 10-3 last year, and received a seed in the playoffs. In '12, Delaney became the head coach late in the spring, inherited most of the assistants, used the existing spread-like offense, and had to operate without the star qb (and without any qb who had completed a single pass in college). Yes, very disappointing season.

It is not true that that this is their 3d year together. The old OC, safety coach, special teams coach, and strength coach are gone.

What excuses have the coaches ever made? I haven't noticed any.

If UM makes the playoffs, and Delaney wants to stay, what do you think UM should do? Fire a coach that gets into the playoffs 2 years in a row (and probably lose many of the assistants, unless one of them was the replacement)?

Good points PR... I just think that they aren't getting the best out of their players... JMO.. I don't want to argue with you so I'll just leave it at that.

:p

And I would argue that, generally, the coaches are getting alot out of the players and, at least last year, did very well with talent we have. That doesn't mean that the CC loss was not very disappointing.

HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:
That's a great write up. My only opinion is that its a make or break year for our coaching staff. We have a solid group of guys on this years team. This will be their 3rd year together, so no more excuses..

Except for Delaney's age and it being the last year of his contract (isn't it?), why would this year be a make or break year?

The team was 10-3 last year, and received a seed in the playoffs. In '12, Delaney became the head coach late in the spring, inherited most of the assistants, used the existing spread-like offense, and had to operate without the star qb (and without any qb who had completed a single pass in college). Yes, very disappointing season.

It is not true that that this is their 3d year together. The old OC, safety coach, special teams coach, and strength coach are gone.

If UM makes the playoffs, and Delaney wants to stay, what do you think UM should do? Fire a coach that gets into the playoffs 2 years in a row (and probably lose many of the assistants, unless one of them was the replacement)?

I can't speak for everyone else, but IMO just making the playoffs isn't good enough. It seems like our fans' expectations have been lowered greatly over the last few years with Griz football. Anything short of a national title appearance should be rather disappointing to this program, its coaches, its fans, and most importantly its players. I would say every Griz player would agree with that. Just making the playoffs shouldn't be something this team strives for. So if Delaney makes the playoffs and we are one and done or two and a barbecue, then time to bring in a coach who will get us back to title games. Just my two cents...

This is called unrealistic expectations, in my view. We've only won 2 national championships ever, and it should be disappointing to everyone? Huh? The team strives for more than making the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that they should be disappointed by a 10-3 season, for example. I completely disagree with your last sentence. UM would be crazy to fire a coach (and his staff) who had made the playoffs.

spsyk said:
Good job Brint,

Please inform player rep, the coach of year was fired, as well, arguably the best AD that has been around for some time, why would it be unreasonable for coach Delaney step down, no matter what his season outcome is, there's talent enough with the staff to hire within.

However, I am certain coach Delaney, will be given another 3 years if he wants it, with a 9-3 season.

Plenty of talented athletes, and surprises on underclass men stepping up.

Hoping the coaching staff, can get it done, more optimistic then after the 2012 season.

Pflu wasn't fired for having a bad season.

PR,

I respect your opinions I really do. You make a lot of points on other discussions that I tend to agree with. However, on this one you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

If I wanted to root for a team who had an end goal of just making the playoffs, and then they were happy as can be when they did, then I would just root for the bobcats. That is harsh but it is true. This is THE University of Montana Grizzlies we are talking about here. The day that we are happy to JUST make the playoffs is the day this program starts to go downhill

PlayerRep said:
HookedonGriz said:
PlayerRep said:
grizcountry420 said:

I can't speak for everyone else, but IMO just making the playoffs isn't good enough. It seems like our fans' expectations have been lowered greatly over the last few years with Griz football. Anything short of a national title appearance should be rather disappointing to this program, its coaches, its fans, and most importantly its players. I would say every Griz player would agree with that. Just making the playoffs shouldn't be something this team strives for. So if Delaney makes the playoffs and we are one and done or two and a barbecue, then time to bring in a coach who will get us back to title games. Just my two cents...

This is called unrealistic expectations, in my view. We've only won 2 national championships ever, and it should be disappointing to everyone? Huh? The team strives for more than making the playoffs, but that doesn't mean that they should be disappointed by a 10-3 season, for example. I completely disagree with your last sentence. UM would be crazy to fire a coach (and his staff) who had made the playoffs.

Making the playoffs is one thing. Unfortunately, getting embarrassed in the playoffs at home is another. Other than EWU in conference, and NDSU and Wyo on the road the Griz should play well and win the other games. I fully expect a 9 win regular season and at least one playoff win. I don't think that is asking too much of this Griz team.

Lider's the guy.

http://missoulian.com/sports/college/montana/football/griz-opt-for-familiar-foot-at-place-kicker/article_a1b1e928-2a3a-11e4-9d97-001a4bcf887a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

HookedonGriz said:
PR,

I respect your opinions I really do. You make a lot of points on other discussions that I tend to agree with. However, on this one you and I will just have to agree to disagree.

If I wanted to root for a team who had an end goal of just making the playoffs, and then they were happy as can be when they did, then I would just root for the bobcats. That is harsh but it is true. This is THE University of Montana Grizzlies we are talking about here. The day that we are happy to JUST make the playoffs is the day this program starts to go downhill
Since we havnt one a Nat Champ in over 13 years, I am thoroughly impressed with your will and determination to continue to be a fan of the Griz. Since we won our first championship WAY back in 1995, this is by far our longest drought for another natty. Don't worry though. I beleive after this year, you will finaly be able to be proud of your team and know that they are worthy to be called Griz and men.

alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
PR,

Since we havnt one a Nat Champ in over 13 years, I am thoroughly impressed with your will and determination to continue to be a fan of the Griz. Since we won our first championship WAY back in 1995, this is by far our longest drought for another natty. Don't worry though. I beleive after this year, you will finaly be able to be proud of your team and know that they are worthy to be called Griz and men.

Man you went and got yourself into the moonshine again didn't you. I thought we talked about that. They must make pretty good stuff in Alabama for you to ramble on and make no coherent sense

HookedonGriz said:
alabamagrizzly said:
HookedonGriz said:
PR,

Man you went and got yourself into the moonshine again didn't you. I thought we talked about that. They must make pretty good stuff in Alabama for you to ramble on and make no coherent sense
Sorry, I had a sudden desire to go way over the top. :D

HookedonGriz said:
PR,

Why are you talking about not wanting to root for a team that just wanted to the make the playoffs? No one has ever said or even suggested that. In fact, it's been said, and it's stated in the team goals, that they want to win a nat'l championship every year. The discussion is about FAN expectations. Yours are unrealistic, in my view. No big deal. I'm not mad. I'm just stating my opinion. And thx for the other words.

The best way to determine if a team is good is whether they can beat other good teams. In 2 years, this team has yet to beat a good team. Arguing that their record or getting embarrassed in the playoffs should result in another extension is simply kicking the can down the road. That's why it's a make or break year

garizzalies said:
The best way to determine if a team is good is whether they can beat other good teams. In 2 years, this team has yet to beat a good team. Arguing that their record or getting embarrassed in the playoffs should result in another extension is simply kicking the can down the road. That's why it's a make or break year

That's a great post. If you guys beat WY or NDSU being all banged up, you should be optimistic for the rest of the season.

I'm proud when the team just makes the semis (top 4 out of 124 teams) and I'm always a fan regardless. I'm also not one of the guys calling for Delaney's head after last year's improvements. That being said, and since I'm a numbers guy, making the NC isn't that unrealistic of an expectation for some fans.

The Griz have made the NC 7 times since 1995 ('95, '96, '00, '01, '04, '08, '09). In fact, the way the NCs were spread out, this will be the first redshirted class in the last 20 years to not experience a NC game (if they don't make it this year). Out of the 6 UM coaches since '95 all have made the NC except Mick Delaney and Robin Pflugrad, although Pflu's time was cut short and he did lead a Griz team that had a narrow loss (28-31 to the #1 seed) on the road in the semis in just his second and final year.

For two decades the Griz have been in 35% of the NCs. If the program is there 35% of the time and 100% of the guys that were with the program for 4 years at least experienced it once, I don't think it's too lofty of an expectation and should definitely be a goal with every class to make the NC.

poorgriz said:
garizzalies said:

That's a great post. If you guys beat WY or NDSU being all banged up, you should be optimistic for the rest of the season.

Exactly how I view it. And I agree 100% with garizzalies' post.

My concern is always about the coaching.

All good teams, year in and year out have good coaching.

Coaches are the large cog that keeps teams on a path year in an out.

Good coaches are a special breed. They find ways to win and keep winning.

Average to poor ranked coaches are just that: Fair to poor.

Players come and go but the coaches stay.

The good coaches are very special, they recruit well, they hire good assistants, they get above average play out of average players. They are simply special.

Good coaches get paid more than any on the campus. The good teams tend to keep the enrollemt of the school high and rising.

UM can only hope for a good coach that will stick around for ten plus seasons, the great ones will move on, the average coach will limp along as long as the adm. allows it.

In my opinion, Reed, Hauck, Glenn and Pflugrad were above average. We all love exciting play and some coaches bging it and others do not. This season will tell us what we need to know about Delaney. I like the guy but that has nothing to do with his head coaching ability!

I hope he takes us to the National championship in 2014.

Back