• Hi Guest, want to participate in the discussions, keep track of read/unread posts and more? Create your free account and increase the benefits of your eGriz.com experience today!

New Bubble?

Bid package is for a steel framed, fabric tensioned structure like this.

Looks like primary uses are silage and equipment storage. I guess they did have to get rid of the old equipment sheds to make room for the Jiffy Lube thing, so I can see them needing a new one.

Oh, it’s coming back to me now. This is the Bobcat building that they designed to have the mini football field.

Been called a tent since 40,000 BCE, but now with this pronoun craze thing we should call it something else? It's a tent with a frame. Sheesh! 🤠 Anyone not wearing a yellow foam-rubber hat can see that. 🎶"Stand up and jeer, Jeer loud and long at ol' Montana State...🎶

I found the below in some thing called Merriam-Webster:

tent

noun

1 : a collapsible shelter of fabric (such as nylon or canvas) stretched and sustained by poles and used for camping outdoors or as a temporary building.

It’s a tent no matter how much they don’t want it to be. Still no updates on whether it’s assembled yet? The kids are getting bored and want s’mores.

I'm surprised they haven't re-routed the Gallatin River to run alongside the stadium.
Not yet? Hmm. One good heavy mountain snowpack and a warm, wet Spring...
One Spring, those conditions overlapped, long, long ago in a land far, far away.

I was asked to check on some property near this now raging torrent. A garage was getting eaten away at, so I looked at and under it's 'foundation' as best I could. I heard this creaking, and other strange noises, then, POP!, SPLOOOOSH!, it was gone, the roof floating effortlessly downstream. I don't think I closed my eyes for a good hour afterward.😳

Imagine Bobscat Stadium 'splooooshing.' Ah, to dream happy thoughts...😴

I guess I don’t understand. I swear I read MSU was trying to build a tented building. Like a yurt with cinder blocks or something. Is it built? Do you have pics?
We're just a shade under a million from the 27 mill needed to raise for our indoor football building so it will be a permanent structure. So nothing built yet. I think I may have heard groundbreaking this month. But that's in addition to a bunch of other ground breakings happening like the one gianforte donated $50 mil for. The new campus hotel too. Who can keep track of them all.

I think what you're thinking of was the gyms that went up temporarily after the 2 gyms collapsed under snow load. They put up the yurtish thing youre thinking. Those are being rebuilt with permanent structure too.

We're just a shade under a million from the 27 mill needed to raise for our indoor football building so it will be a permanent structure. So nothing built yet. I think I may have heard groundbreaking this month. But that's in addition to a bunch of other ground breakings happening like the one gianforte donated $50 mil for. The new campus hotel too. Who can keep track of them all.

I think what you're thinking of was the gyms that went up temporarily after the 2 gyms collapsed under snow load. They put up the yurtish thing youre thinking. Those are being rebuilt with permanent structure too.
Could be. I thought I read it was a fabric roof stretched over a steel frame or something. Not important.

But, campus hotel?! Choach is somewhere like, “WTF, guys?! You couldn’t get that baby erected in the four years I was there running my infamous camps?!”

Could be. I thought I read it was a fabric roof stretched over a steel frame or something. Not important.

But, campus hotel?! Choach is somewhere like, “WTF, guys?! You couldn’t get that baby erected in the four years I was there running my infamous camps?!”
The fabric building is technically a ‘permanent’ structure, so it will still be a fabric shell supported by metal tubular poles. And it will be 80 yards long for some reason. Also, a hotel near campus?! How revolutionary! It will be right up there with Cheney!

Oh, it’s coming back to me now. This is the Bobcat building that they designed to have the mini football field.

Montana has about $130 million worth of improvements happening now also. I always wondered how the regents didn’t consider a sitting governors “donation for naming rights” at a state university a conflict of interest, but then I remembered who appoints the regents and that the majority of those regents have some form of affiliation with the same university. And before you cry sour grapes, I’d be against that donation if it were for naming rights on a building at Montana.

The fabric building is technically a ‘permanent’ structure, so it will still be a fabric shell supported by metal tubular poles. And it will be 80 yards long for some reason. Also, a hotel near campus?! How revolutionary! It will be right up there with Cheney!
Thanks for the info. So the frame (“structure”) could be permanent, but the cloth covering will presumably have to be replaced? My theory on the 80 yards thing is that they ordered a 100yd field but forgot about the end zones.

Yeah hotel. Well be starting some sort of degree in hospitality so the hotel will be part of that.

Montana has about $130 million worth of improvements happening now also. I always wondered how the regents didn’t consider a sitting governors “donation for naming rights” at a state university a conflict of interest, but then I remembered who appoints the regents and that the majority of those regents have some form of affiliation with the same university. And before you cry sour grapes, I’d be against that donation if it were for naming rights on a building at Montana.
I don’t disagree with you. However I think they went along with it, not for your reasons, but because the BOR didn't want to get body slammed....

Yeah hotel. Well be starting some sort of degree in hospitality so the hotel will be part of that.
I hope they build it to the same standards as the grand, game-changing Stadium View Apartments. You could have built it in Kazakhstan and had better quality control. I’m sure like most things being build in Bozeman these days it will start leaking in a couple years and be utterly falling apart in another 5.

Thanks for the info. So the frame (“structure”) could be permanent, but the cloth covering will presumably have to be replaced? My theory on the 80 yards thing is that they ordered a 100yd field but forgot about the end zones.
The used to play exhibition games in the brick breeden field house with a shortened field. When one team got close to the end they would move them back 20 yards to make them play a full field. No joke. It was hailed as an engineering marvel with the acoustic qualities of an old bowling alley.

Hospitality degree you say? After all the $hit talking cat fans touting the superiority of a STEM education while denigrating UM degrees as “liberal hippie ba’s, school of song and dance, blah blah blah” and you guys are going to teach people how to make beds using hospital corners, mix up powdered eggs for continental breakfast and make wake up calls. Let me guess, Waded will call it Hospitality Engineering.

I hope they build it to the same standards as the grand, game-changing Stadium View Apartments. You could have built it in Kazakhstan and had better quality control. I’m sure like most things being build in Bozeman these days it will start leaking in a couple years and be utterly falling apart in another 5.
My God! Maybe the administration saved a few million erecting it themselves. I can picture it now...Waded, Costello, and Vegan huddled around the 'Easy to Follow Instruction Sheet,' like mom and dad on Christmas Eve trying to put together toys for the kids.

Nuts and bolts, wrenches, screwdrivers, parts(lots of parts), metal rods, hammers(gotta have them hammers), and lots of canvas-like stuff. Come dawn, they view their creation, satisfied. Then Waded says, "Why all these extra parts?"

MSU's 'Three Stooges-Building a house is easy' --YouTube.

Whoa whoa whoa. We're building a hard sided building. You're the ones that decided on a canvas wall tent. But yours is by the river so I think it doubles as an ice hut when the river freezes over right? Very cool!
Yeah we all know how well you build things over in Bozeman. Hopefully it won’t snow on your facilities roof.

Hospitality degree you say? After all the $hit talking cat fans touting the superiority of a STEM education while denigrating UM degrees as “liberal hippie ba’s, school of song and dance, blah blah blah” and you guys are going to teach people how to make beds using hospital corners, mix up powdered eggs for continental breakfast and make wake up calls. Let me guess, Waded will call it Hospitality Engineering.

The hotel's primary purpose is to provide reasonable rates for parents of students applying for entrance to MSU and also for fans for various sporting events. It will also have large meeting spaces for events and conferences. The side benefit is a place for hospitality students to intern. The area hospitality businesses were the ones that pushed for Gallatin Community College and MSU to implement a hospitality major. There is a real need for hospitality management employees in the area.

Yeah we all know how well you build things over in Bozeman. Hopefully it won’t snow on your facilities roof.
Repair-53787a7f-640w.JPG

The hotel's primary purpose is to provide reasonable rates for parents of students applying for entrance to MSU and also for fans for various sporting events. It will also have large meeting spaces for events and conferences. The side benefit is a place for hospitality students to intern. The area hospitality businesses were the ones that pushed for Gallatin Community College and MSU to implement a hospitality major. There is a real need for hospitality management employees in the area.
Marriott is going to operate below market rate? Bet shareholders will love that.

Marriott is going to operate below market rate? Bet shareholders will love that.
There will still be a lot of rooms at market rate. The people behind building own the Yellowstone Club. Money is not an object. It is a cooperative effort with MSU. They will make their money plus MSU gets some good benefits.

Back